ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by j2020"
j2020

Posted Jan 26, 2011 in: Subtask Behavior Improvements
Score: 0
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jan 26, 2011
  • Score: 0
What is the status of subtask improvements? For example, allowing parent tasks to have their due date determined by the next subtask that is due. This would solve the dilemma of having to either (1) keep all subtasks expanded all the time so that none get overlooked, or (2) hiding subtasks to reduce clutter and taking the risk that they will be forgotten.

I found the following quote in another thread, and wondered whether any progress has been made. I created a new thread because the thread I quoted (http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3308/-35961/subtasks-with-the-iphone-app.html) was about more things than just subtasks.

Posted by Toodledo (May 25, 2010):
We plan to allow subtasks and parents to inherit information from each other in a future update.
j2020

Posted Jan 06, 2011 in: Collaboration Questions
Score: 2
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jan 06, 2011
  • Score: 2
The UI is the problem? I guess I imagined I would just create a folder called "Shared" (or whatever name I want to give it), I would designate collaborator(s) for that folder, and then my collaborator(s) would create (or allow to be created automatically) a folder with the same name in their account. All collaborators would then be able to create/edit tasks in that folder, and if one person made a change it would be reflected in every collaborator's account. Am I way off base?
j2020

Posted Dec 24, 2010 in: Collaboration Questions
  • j2020
  • Posted: Dec 24, 2010
Posted by Toodledo, July 20, 2010:
We have limited resources and this has been one of those things that we haven't gotten to yet.

So it's been 5 months since that post was made, and 27 months since the thread was started. Let me guess... we still shouldn't expect real sharing anytime soon?

You've been "working on it" since George Bush was in office.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: Aug 25, 2010
Posted by brent.bolton:
If I set a subtask as high priority, the parent should reflect the highest priority of its subtasks. Right now it doesn't matter if I change the priority of a subtask, if the parent is a low priority, it will not sort correctly.

Ditto for subtasks and dates. The next subtask due date should be reflected by the parent task. The way it is now you have to leave all subtasks expanded which makes a cluttered mess and pretty much defeats the purpose of SUBtasks.
j2020

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: Due Date change
  • j2020
  • Posted: Aug 09, 2010
I use Firefox, and pressing Ctrl-R to reload the page corrects the dates. I've gotten in the habit of just doing it every morning when I sit down at my PC. It would be nice if the Toodledo page handled this on it's own though.

And if you're curious about what Ctrl-R (hard refresh) does in general: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hard-refresh.htm
j2020

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: View tasks on palm pre calendar
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2010
Posted by king.kelley:
I need to integrate my tasks and my calendar. Is there an easy way?

Wouldn't that be nice? Palm was doing it twelve years ago. It's hard to understand why so many "modern" to-do and calendar programs haven't figured it out.

Regarding Google, I think Gcal Tasks is a beta, and I think I remember the description saying that right now they only update task imports once every 24 hours, not in real-time. Maybe that could explain some of the delays you've seen?
j2020

Posted Jun 26, 2010 in: Can't open toodledo on iOS4
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2010
I upgraded my iPod touch to iOS4. Installed most recent update. Can no longer open toodledo app. I press the app, it opens for about one second, then closes. All other apps are working correctly. Anyone else having this problem?
j2020

Posted Jun 23, 2010 in: ToDo and Toodledo, a little confusion
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2010
Nice list Claudio. I'll add one more item ToDo has, that quite a few of us have been begging for, but that hasn't made it into any version of Toodledo yet:

ToDo allows you to use Subtasks in a useful way. By which I mean, the date of a parent task can be set to change automatically to reflect the date of the next subtask. This is huge because you can keep your subtasks collapsed to reduce clutter, without the risk of overlooking a collapsed due date.
j2020

Posted Jun 10, 2010 in: notes of completed tasks
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 10, 2010
That is too bad about the notes not sticking to each completion date. I guess a workaround might be make a repeating task, but on the day you actually do the task you could quickly create a NEW (non-repeating) task with a similar or related name and attach the notes that need to go with it. You would then check the new task off, which would save it with its notes. After that, check off the repeating task so that it could continue its normal repeat cycle.

Not really an elegant solution, but it would only take a few extra seconds, and would give you notes attached to completion dates.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2010.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2010
+1. I tend to go back and forth between Importance and Auto, but neither one gets it quite right for my needs. All my tasks have priority attached, but only about half are dated. Sorting one way leads to some of my dated items getting pushed to the bottom of the list. Sorting the other way pushes dates to the top of the list, but includes ones that are too far in the future.
j2020

Posted Jun 09, 2010 in: notes of completed tasks
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2010
The notes for completed tasks remain available. For example, I just went back and looked at one from last September. However, they are only kept as long as your completed tasks are kept which is "1-6 months" for a free account. It is longer for paid accounts, as detailed here: http://www.toodledo.com/pro.php (fourth item from bottom of list).

Also, there is an account setting called Delete Completed Tasks, that allows you to choose how long your completed tasks are stored, up to the limit of your account type.

See also this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6241/0/keeping-completed-tasks-forever.html

This message was edited Jun 09, 2010.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 11, 2010
I'm not sure I fully understand the advantages of a desktop program. Being able to work offline? Integration with desktop files/programs? Improved interface?

For me, the biggest appeal would be an improved interface. But my concern for you would be that you will spend a lot of time developing it, and about that time Toodledo will improve the web interface and negate some of your advantages.

The only desktop programs I've tried haven't *fully* integrated with Toodledo (changed some features, didn't sync consistently, etc). Since I would still use the web interface and iPhone interface sometimes, it would be critical to me that a desktop program be both consistent and complete in its integration with Toodledo. Otherwise I run the risk of losing data, and that is a more significant negative than any positives I can think of.

This message was edited May 11, 2010.
j2020

• j2020
On more nice feature that Appigo Todo has and Toodledo doesn't is logical handling of Subtasks. For example, it will automatically update the due date of a parent task to be the same as the next child task due date. This allows you to actually use subtasks for project management, and also keeps subtask lists from always having to be expanded and cluttering up your interface.
j2020

• j2020
I downloaded TaskAngel, and was wary of Syncing it after reading another user's comment about the initial sync being two-way and putting all the default TaskAngel Projects, Contexts, etc. into their existing Toodledo info. Sure enough that's exactly what it does. Suddenly my info has tons of stuff I didn't want mixed in with it.

My only recourse, other than manually trying to find all the new items and delete them, was to delete my entire Toodledo account history and re-import a backup of it. It was un-nerving to say the least, since if it had failed I would have lost over 1000 tasks worth data.

It was my own fault for not heeding the warning I had already seen, but I highly recommend that TaskAngel add the option for a one-way sync. Not everyone wants folders called Fun, Homemaking, etc. I won't be demoing this software further until there is a way to prevent it from adding unwanted items to my existing data.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 10, 2010
x2
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 03, 2010
A somewhat related discussion here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/849/0/tasks-vs-calender-events.html

This message was edited May 03, 2010.
j2020

Posted Apr 19, 2010 in: Dates for parent tasks
  • j2020
  • Posted: Apr 19, 2010
Big +1. Right now the only options are:

A) Leave all subtask lists expanded all the time (which largely defeats the purpose of subtasks and makes tons of clutter)
B) Risk missing a due date (which largely defeats the purpose of a to-do list)

This feature would be a HUGE improvement, and is by far my number one request. I love Toodledo and am a paid user, but the inabilty to gracefully manage even simple projects is turning into a deal breaker for me. I hate to say it, but I've started looking for other solutions for this exact reason.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2010
The first time I tried to use Toodledo I got overwhelmed and left. I used RTM for over a year before I came back and gave Toodledo another chance. Now that I've learned to use it I love the Toodledo features enought that I bought a Pro account. Like the original poster, I think it's probably true that a substantial number of potential customers are lost in the first few minutes.

Even if the overall UI doesn't change, some sort of intro or primer to guide new users would be really beneficial. Or maybe the "default" or "new user" view could be simplified a little. I know when I first started all I wanted to do was make a small list or two but I was barraged by folders, dividers, contexts, etc. Simply hiding the dividers in the default view would probably help. People who want advanced features will poke around and find them later.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
j2020

Posted Jan 15, 2010 in: Parent / Subtask Dating
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2010
It would be great if "Length" of a parent task was also a running total of its subtasks.

Similarly, when the view is Indented, the subtask lengths are currently not included in the "Total Estimated Lengths". It can't be corrected by manually adding them up and entering them as the total for the parent task, because then if you flatten the view the time is doubled because the parent task and subtasks are added together.

I guess what I'm asking for overall is that subtasks really be treated as SUBtasks of a parent task, not just as regular tasks that can be hidden some of the time.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010.
j2020

Posted Jan 13, 2010 in: Parent / Subtask Dating
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2010
When I have a project to do I set it up as a parent task, and then enter all of its components as subtasks. My issue is with the due dates. Each of the individual subtasks are due before the final project deadline. But when I view my To Do list in "hidden" mode to reduce clutter (which is the whole purpose of having subtasks), the due date for the next subtask disappears. I use a product called ToDo on my iTouch that solves this problem by automatically having the due date of the parent task be whatever the next due date is in the subtask list. That way my overall To Do list isn't cluttered with dozens of subtasks, but I can still easily see when the next action is due. It would be great if a similar option were available in Toodledo.

It would also mean that the warning in the Toodledo Help area that reads "Keep in mind that if you select the nesting behavior, it may be possible to forget about a subtask that has a higher priority or due-date than the parent task, because it will be hidden inside. Please be careful about this." Seems to me that anytime you need a warning that you may "forget" an item on your To Do list, the system could use some revision.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next