ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by sprouty76"
sprouty76

Posted Oct 29, 2013 in: Enhanced Alarms
Score: 1
Very nice - I remember asking for desktop notifications a few months ago and was shot down :)

It's still unclear how you're meant to set a reminder to be displayed by a 3rd party app - if you really want 3rd party apps to step up on Android, you need to treat them as 1st class citizens alongside your own iOS app.
sprouty76

The mobile site still needs quite a bit of TLC. Nested subtasks don't work at all (it just hides them). Adding new tasks involves far too many screen loads, each of which takes too long. Should I go on?

Seems like work on it has been abandoned in favour of doing work on the "ooh, shiny" outlines and lists. It's simply not a viable alternative to an android app at the moment.
sprouty76

Posted Sep 19, 2013 in: New Section: Lists
Score: 2
Posted by martingchapman:
There are lots of programs that have been developed over the years but then the developers move on and loose interest in a mature product.
So it is great to see the continued development of Toodledo, and I really hope it continues apace (even if the additions are things that do not appear to be high on the list of requests from users but more Jake's priorities).

However, Android users are now falling far behind the Web and IOS users in the features that are available.
I am not going to open up the "we want an Android app" discussion again (even though I do want one), it is clear Jake applies absolutely no priority to this request at all and it is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.
His argument that the Mobile site is the way forward for Android users was appropriate before the introduction of Outlines and Lists but as neither of these additional features are available in the Mobile site this argument is now invalid.
Also, until the API is updated to include Outlines and Lists the third party developers are unable to help.

So Jake, please can you make adding Outlines and Lists to the Mobile site, and also to the API a priority.

I have been a Toodledo user for many, many years and have been very pleased with its continued development and stability but having recently switched to an Android phone I am now feeling very much the poor relation.

Martin

Well said.
sprouty76

Score: 0
Posted by Jake:
We have made progress with the Android app, but we are trying to hire an Android developer to help us finish. http://www.toodledo.com/info/jobs.php

Any Android developers out there want to help?

Finally, acknowledgement that it's not the same as doing website development! You were rather dismissive of people who made that point a little while ago...
sprouty76

Posted Sep 16, 2013 in: Open Source Android client
I already tried GTD DTG - it's ok, but it's not a great fit for me. Unfortunately, the mobile site comes closest - but it's so slow and there are so many unresolved bugs that it's difficult to use.
sprouty76

Posted Jul 24, 2013 in: Open Source Android client
Guessing that's a no, then :(
sprouty76

Posted Jul 24, 2013 in: Toodledo Toosdays: Goal Chains
I've said it before ("It's on our todo list", etc and so forth) but I'd love it if chains were optional like they used to be.

Most of my goals don't have activities that can be done towards them every day, so the chains are useless to me. But they take up so much space that I can't actually see my goals coherently when trying to organise them!
sprouty76

Posted Jul 24, 2013 in: Outline error
I've seen it quite a few times recently, as far as I can tell the outlines have looked right. If you want any help tracking it down then let me know (I'm relatively technically-minded :) )

For the record I'm on Firefox, so doesn't appear to be browser specific.
sprouty76

I tend to use it to highlight recurring tasks that I am planning to act on that day. Starring them allows me to quickly find & see them regardless of what device / app I'm using.

My old way was to create a new parent task to group them, then create copies of the recurring tasks I was planning to do, move them under the parent task and mark the recurring one as completed, which is rather cumbersome.

I'd say if a recurring task is always high priority, simply mark it as a higher priority in the first place?
sprouty76

Posted Jul 18, 2013 in: Open Source Android client
I know there are now quite a few Android clients now, does anybody know if any of them are open source?

I've not seen any that really fit how I want to work, so I may have to think about making my own. But obviously not having to start totally from scratch would be useful.
sprouty76

The unstar on complete is an excellent idea, it opens up some much more streamlined ways of working with recurring tasks.

Not used them yet, but clicky links in outlines will be very useful too.
sprouty76

As somebody who doesn't need to be able to attach images, videos etc and therefore has no use for the 10Gb of storage (outlines wouldn't be using that space at all), I think I'll give it a miss.

Being able to store the URL of outlines from the same site isn't really worth an extra $15 a year to me, I'll just put it in the notes.

Really not sure why linking to an outline is being treated the same as uploading a pic or video, storing it and linking to that, if anything I can see it harming take-up of outlines. But that's your choice, I guess.
sprouty76

Hmm. While I like the outlines functionality and was looking forward to being able to link tasks and outlines, I don't recall anybody saying at any point that it would only be available to Pro Plus subscribers.

Also, like others have said, I was under the impression nodes would be linked to tasks rather than the other way around.
sprouty76

Posted Jun 13, 2013 in: Outlines feature requests
The blank item comes about when you have a node in edit mode but empty, and then you drag another node somewhere. The node you had open for editing gets "closed" but the check for emptiness doesn't happen.

To delete one of these empty nodes, select the previous node then press j, the empty node should be active although there is no visual feedback for that. Then press backspace to delete it.

Alternatively, you can do the first part of that then press enter to go into edit mode, where you can add some text.
sprouty76

Posted Jun 10, 2013 in: We want an official Android app !!!
Posted by karstenreisdorf:
Honestly, I don't think that the toodledo guys are really interested in an Android App at all. Guys: You are still hiring iOS developers, but you're not looking for people with Android experience. Very telling.

However, why should they? I've bought UTDL (which is ugly, but great), and recently switched to DGT GTD, which looks much better, lacks some functions I don't use, but can duplicate tasks with their subtasks. I'm happy. And probably most users are, using one of the numerous nice 3rd party apps.

You don't spend lots of money on developing something that will probably be only a minor contender between what is already there.

If you use Android, remember: It IS Open Source. Which means that you don't cry for some big company with a broken apple in the logo to do something, but take a look around and see what others have done, and maybe do something yourself if you have the ability to (which I don't have, sadly).

The OS being open source has nothing to do with whether individual apps are open source. You can go and create an app on iOS if you're so inclined in exactly the same way as on Android (obviously the actual development of those apps are different, and there are different approval models, but those are details really)

Don't get me wrong, the lack of an official android app is still massively disappointing, and the mobile website (which is meant to obviate the need for such) is barely usable even on a brand new tablet. There are lots of bugs that I've raised that never get resolved, and seeing the News forum being full of updates for the iOS app is particularly galling in that context.

And Jake insisting that they can get a web developer to do the Android app as "they're both Java" (as I think he put it) shows how little effort they're going to be putting into developing an app.
sprouty76

Posted Jun 07, 2013 in: New Section: Outlines
Posted by Jason Bushell:
Posted by sprouty76:
Saying the button should work the same way as the shortcut. Sometimes having one hand on the mouse is more convenient, especially if you're selecting different nodes.

Also, if the node is highlighted but isn't in edit mode, pressing enter opens that one, rather than adding a new one.

When dragging nodes, it's not quite as clear as it could be where exactly they're going to end up. Compare and contrast with the highlighting when dragging subtasks.

Just trying to be constructive.

The problem is it would be difficult to add a new node if there wasn't a button to do so.

If that button added a new entry under the node, there would be no way of adding a new node without deselecting the current node. (Which is actually quite difficult.)

You'd need a separate button for a new entry.

I'd just put a little + icon next to each node (perhaps only visible when the mouse is over the node) to add a new sub-node. It could be automatically indented too.

As for using sub-nodes in place of notes, I disagree - I'd like to be able to show/hide notes separately from showing/hiding sub-nodes, a bit like how you can show the notes for a task on the todo side. Notes are a fairly well-understood concept in other Outliners I've tried.

I do agree about the integration with the todo side, but Jake's already stated that will be coming soon. I'd like the ability to add a task as a clone of a node, so you could do your brainstorming and then add whatever tasks drop out at the bottom.

Not sure this is really the best place for this conversation though - if you want us to move it elsewhere, give us a heads up Jake.
sprouty76

Oh, and could use per-node notes. Unless I've missed something.
sprouty76

Saying the button should work the same way as the shortcut. Sometimes having one hand on the mouse is more convenient, especially if you're selecting different nodes.

Also, if the node is highlighted but isn't in edit mode, pressing enter opens that one, rather than adding a new one.

When dragging nodes, it's not quite as clear as it could be where exactly they're going to end up. Compare and contrast with the highlighting when dragging subtasks.

Just trying to be constructive.

This message was edited Jun 07, 2013.
sprouty76

One suggestion: if you have an item highlighted and you click Add Node, it should add it below the node you've highlighted.
sprouty76

Score: 3
Interesting, but would have preferred hierarchical subtasks. Don't recall anybody asking about an outliner.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next