ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
jpv2112-s

Score: 0
I understand.

Perhaps a quicker feature to implement would be to allow the custom search options for goals to search the goals' labels sub-strings? That would allow users to include some tag in the goals' labels that could be quickly picked-up by the custom-searches.

Right now, the only search option is "task is assigned a specific goal."
jpv2112-s

Hello,

In my web-development company, I have a lot of active jobs and have added them to the "short term goals" section and all these goals contribute to the lifelong goal of running a my successful business. Each short-term job/goal contains many tasks.

I would like to see all the tasks that contribute to the lifelong goal, however, the only goal-filter option I see in the search area only shows tasks assigned directly to a particular life-long goal, not an option to show all the task assigned to the short-term goals that "contribute to" the life-long goal.

Does anyone know of a way to achieve this?

If not, I would like to ask for a feature (if not already on the list) to add a query to grab all the task that "contribute to" a higher-level goal.

Also, if anyone has alternative ways to organize work jobs each with many tasks, I'd appreciate reading about your solutions.
jpv2112-s

Posted Aug 01, 2013 in: m.toodledo.com not working anymore?
Hello,

I've been using m.toodledo.com successfully for a while on my cell phone (near-latest Android, Google Chrome browser). For the past week, it seems endlessly stuck on "loading..." or the spinning circle.

Any tips or does anyone else have trouble?

thanks!
JP
jpv2112-s

The repeat tasks only show the first instance. On one hand, it's proper because you'd not work on the next instance after completing the first instance. However, if you wanted to see your commitments over time, you'd not see the long list of repeated instances.

I suppose a work-around would be to create Monday prep task and repeat weekly, then create a Wednesday prep task and repeat that weekly too. This would keep both days showing a week ahead.

Or, if you really want all the tasks, use the "add multiple tasks" option and change the dates of each instance after they're created. (Or create one task, and use the "clone" option... but that would take longer than "add multiple.")
jpv2112-s

Posted Dec 17, 2012 in: Subtasks along with the Container Task
I don't have a solution, but will sympathize with this issue. It seems that the TD parent/sub tasks relationship are in structure only and are not "smart."

Years ago I wrote a goal-tracking program that used algorithms to update a parent task based on its children. For example: the time required would be at least a sum of all the time required for the sub-tasks; the due date of all the sub-tasks would be at-latest the due date of the parent (unless one of the subs' due dates are changed), etc.

It can really be a can-o-worms to implement especially on a live system like TD.
jpv2112-s

Thanks for the replies.

Salgud: My sub-tasks often don't have due dates themselves, so they don't appear in the saved searches like the one you described--i.e., they're hidden by the search rules.

JPR: I do see the "show all" link and have been able to reveal the subtasks, but I'd rather not have to click "show all" on each parent task each time I reload the page.

I don't quite understand your enthusiasm for the permanent link feature. AFAIK, it just provides a hard-coded link to show one particular task. I'm not sure why that's useful since I'd have to bookmark that link, and it will be moot once the task is completed, and is not linked to any saved search.
jpv2112-s

TD seems to offer 2 levels of search rules: either an OR list of ANDs, or an AND list of ORs...

I have a search to reveal items due in the next 90 days (or the past 30 days in case they've been neglected). However, the subtasks of these items are not showing since they often don't have due dates of their own and functionally should not be separated from the parent task.

I'd like to modify my search to show the no-due-date subtasks too but I cannot seem to figure out how to modify my search rules to achieve this.

Has anyone else had success doing this or something similar?
jpv2112-s

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Your Favorite Saved Searches?
Score: 1
I've just discovered "saved searches" and have started making my own. Just for the benefit of other TD users (and myself), what are your favorite and most useful saved searches? You don't have to be verbose--just a simple description would do nicely.

I haven't made many, but probably my most useful one now would be:

* Due in the next 90 days, sorted by importance/due-date/priority. This would likely be my default everyday view from which to choose my next tasks.

How about saved searches for project planning or re-evaluation? I'll post more here if I discover something atypical and useful.
jpv2112-s

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Importance view shows far-out tasks
But... unfortunately, it looks like these saved searches are not available on my iOS devices. Or am I missing it?
jpv2112-s

Thanks for the TIP! I was completely unawares! This solves a lot of issues I was having.
jpv2112-s

Hello,

I have annual tasks that are of high priority, but I cannot do them but once a year (e.g., taxes). I have the start date and due dates of such recurring tasks far in the future, but they always seem to show up near the top of my task lists when I sort them by "importance."

Has anyone found a way around this? I suppose I could reduce the "priority" to affect the algorithm, but that would simply be gaming the software and not a reflection of reality. I have also tried looking at "next 30 days" in the due-date view (also sorted first by importance), but I'd also like to see tasks that are 60/90 days out too--not just 30.

Incidentally, the options under "view by due date" should, I believe, contain a few more options: (a) see what is due soon but don't ignore what is past due. A few times, I've found myself looking at my current task list and not noticing that I have overdue items (worst case scenario!) because TD puts them in a different view! (b) Next 60 days, 90 days (in addition to "next 30 days).

Love TD. Thanks!
jpv2112-s

That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestions. I think the weekly review would be a good time for this (and to revisit strategies).

I suppose we would all like to customize this TD tool to automatize our different GTD methods but the complexity would make it uninviting for new people?

That's always a challenge in software design: make it easy to understand to use quickly (e.g., TD would be a simple TODO list), and yet powerful to keep people coming back (with a lot of advanced features). I think TD does this well, but Apple (esp. iTunes) spends a lot of resources on this very issue.
jpv2112-s

I've been using 3.0 for almost a week and I've noticed no problems. I like it!
jpv2112-s

Don't forget (for Pro users) that the Goals are a 3-level hierarchy in addition to the 2-level task/sub-task hierarchy, so there are actually 4-5 levels available which kinda should(?) be plenty for most things.

I often find myself making a new project as a task, but quickly find (given the limited sub-hierarchy) that they would often work better (in Toodledo) being a long or short term goal with many st-goals/tasks/sub-tasks assigned to these goals.

Having said that, it would certainly be more intuitive for TD to offer many levels of sub-tasks instead of one (and for sub-tasks to integrate better/more "live" with the parent tasks, e.g., length, due dates, etc.)

EDIT: Just noticed that another user posted the same solution above..... +1 for using goals.

This message was edited Dec 02, 2012.
jpv2112-s

Hello,

I have some periodic tasks that should not start until the start date and then once completed, get recycled to the next periodic date (e.g., file quarterly taxes, check propane tank levels). While awaiting for the next time, their status is "waiting" but when that time comes, their status should no longer be "waiting" but something else to reflect the increased urgency.

It would be nice to have the status of these task change automatically to reflect their changing roles. For example, once the "start date" has passed, it would be nice if the status changes from "waiting" to "next action." And then once the user clicks done on these recurring tasks, their status reverts to "waiting".

Do others have this type of task? How to you treat/enter these tasks in to Toodledo?
jpv2112-s

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the "importance" and its magic sorting method---seems to work fine for me (insofar as it's putting the due-soon items at the top and elevating the start-date-passed items).
jpv2112-s

I typically sort my list by due date, then by importance.

Is there a setting to quickly see items that CAN be worked on today? For example, I have to file quarterly sales tax. It CAN be worked on starting the first of the month, but is due by the end of the month.

In the normal due-date list sorting, this task will not rise to to the top of the list until nearly the end of the month, but I would like to glance at my list and see items that, say, have a start date before today--maybe they can appear as a different color?

That way, if I have some spare time, I can knock out those items early.

Any thoughts on how others have dealt with this standard GTD desire?
jpv2112-s

Hello,

Is there a way to change the order of appearance/entry of the fields when one clicks on the add-a-task button (or presses 'n')? I find it odd that "status" is the last item when I'm used it being the first.

thanks

JP
jpv2112-s

Score: 1
Hello,

I've been a pro user for a while now (and a GTD user). When planning a new project, I usually start with the result and then write all the tasks that are necessary to complete the end-goal. Then all those tasks get sub-tasks, which beget further sub-tasks, etc.

This makes for a basic outline format of project planning that I believe is widely used (e.g., MS project and other goal-setting systems).

Example:

Ultimate Project Outcome
---Contributory Task 1
------SubTask 1.1 (to complete cont. task 1)
------SubTask 1.2 (to complete cont. task 1)
---------subtask 1.2.1
---------subtask 1.2.2
---------subtask 1.2.3
------SubTask 1.3
---Contributory Task 2
------SubTask 2.1
---Contributory Task 3
---Contributory Task 4
---etc.

However, I don't see an easy way to type in such a hierarchical project plan using Toodledo. Currently Toodledo has 3 tiers of goals (lifelong, long term, short term) and only one level of sub-tasks.

Also, the "add multiple tasks" page doesn't allow sub-tasks to be generated.

Does anyone know how to "hack" this method in to the current Toodledo framework?

If not, I would like to see a page that allows users to type in a project hierarchy/outline and then assign the existing parameters to each task (context, time, due date, etc.). This would require more than one level of subtasks, so perhaps it would take some development time given the existing code.

I think this option would help graduate Toodledo from a full-featured task manager to a project-planning tool.

thanks,

JP
jpv2112-s

Posted Nov 11, 2009 in: Reorder subtasks?
One more vote for this feature to be added.

I cannot (2) cross bridge before I (1) come to it. ;)
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next