Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Apr 17, 2012 in: F. Req: Few Random Things
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2012
  • Score: 0
Posted by colichio:
(2) (Pro Plus) A better integration of files that allows for hierarchy organization, tagging, context segmenting, etc.

There is also the issue where a new file added can overwrite an existing file. There is nothing to stop this and no warning. So if you email a task with attachment, you can nuke existing files.

10GBs of storage and I fear using it as I am highly phobic of storage that allows for me to create a living example of an Outlook Inbox from Hell (that 10,000 email long unorganized hell that rips out your soul when you see it load up on someone's desktop).

LOL... I work with someone like that. They don't use folders and just leave everything in the inbox. Frightens the hell out of me.
PeterW 

Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
I've just fixed up the image links in my post above so you can see the relevant screen shots.

Posted by mco:
That is the one thing that Appigo Todo does do that the Toodledo iOS app does not.

There are a few other things Appigo Todo can do that Toodledo does not, but in my view this one is significant. Being able to assign/reassign tasks and subtasks into projects, checklists and also to change their context and tags is really useful.
PeterW 

Score: -1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: -1
Bruce,

I've checked the Toodledo app but cannot see how this can be done. I don't think it's currently possible.

But here is how you would do this in Appigo Todo:

1. Tap the edit button at the top of the screen and then select the task to be assigned. A red checkmark is shown alongside the selected task. You can select more than one if you wish.

2. Tap the Actions button at the bottom of the screen.

3. Select action (e.g. assign to project)

4. Select the project or checklist to assign task to.

It's very straightforward, especially if your new tasks to be processed are sitting in your inbox.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 16, 2012 in: Importing plain text files for notes
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2012
Posted by rantipole:
I understand the manual way of doing the conversion, which looks not too complicated. The automagical way would be much more comfortable, however I do not own any iOS devices. Is there an alternative to Appigo?

Sorry, not that I am aware of.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 16, 2012 in: Push back all tasks by two days
  • PeterW 
You might also want to consider not putting a due date on all of your tasks unless they're really due on that day. For example you could use the star to put these tasks onto the hotlist and then not have to keep rolling them forward.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 16, 2012 in: Importing plain text files for notes
  • PeterW 
@rantipole,

One way of achieving this would be to cut & past them into Excel using the appropriate filespec and then save as CSV.

I just took a look at the filespec. This is it:
"TITLE","FOLDER","ADDED","MODIFIED","NOTE"

So a typical note would look like this in a text reader:

"Home Checklist",Home,"2011-02-11","2011-08-21","Home checklist
Wash car
Wash dog
Wash cat"

In Excel, each field would be in its own cell across one row with the notes themselves all in one cell. In the example above the note is just:
Home checklist
Wash car
Wash dog
Wash cat

...where the first line is the title of the note.

If you're not comfortable doing this or the job is too big given that you have hundreds of notes, my other suggestion would be a viable alternative, e.g:

1. Purchase Appigo Notebook for your iPhone ($4.99)
2. Install Dropbox on your iPhone (free)
3. Install Dropbox on your PC/Mac (free)
4. Configure Appigo Notebook to sync via your Dropbox account.
5. Copy all of your text note files into the Dropbox folder. This will auto-initiate a sync.
6. Initiate a sync in Appigo Notebook. All of your Notes will now sync into Appigo Notebook.
7. Use the Migrate Notebook Data option in Appigo Notebook to copy all notes from Dropbox to Toodledo.
8. Sync to Toodledo.

I realise that this looks like a lot of work but it's not too difficult and once set up, it will bring over everything in one go without losing anything. Once you've installed the apps and got yourself familiar with them it's pretty straightforward.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2012
Bruce - no, there is no cost to sync Todo with Toodledo. It just works.

Note that Todo does not support all of Toodledo's fields, e.g:
-start date
-start time
- goals

If you use any of these fields in Toodledo online they won't cause a problem in Todo nor will they be lost when you sync. You just won't be able to see them on your iPhone in Todo.

One other thing to note with regards to parent/subtasks: Todo ensures that subtasks are kept in the same folder as their parent. Toodledo does not. So if you move a subtask into a different folder in Toodledo, Todo will put it back into the same folder as the parent when you sync. This is how I wanted to work anyway so it wasn't an issue for me.

I now use Appigo Todo Online instead of Toodledo because the latter's project handling was just too problematic for me.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
The parent/subtask handling in Toodledo's iPhone app has been the main reason that I've always stuck with Appigo Todo instead - it just works sensibly and intuitively and still makes it possible for a subtask to appear 'loose' in the hotlist.

And I can quickly create tasks in my inbox and later come back to them to move them into projects or checklists if needed. You can sync Appigo Todo with Toodledo so it's possible to keep with the online version if you wish.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
On Toodledo's iPhone app there are two options for displaying subtasks - inline or hidden. As far as I know you cannot display them indented like you can on the website.

To access this option, when you are viewing a list of tasks just pull down on the screen to access the toolbar. On the left hand side you will see a link 'Hidden Tasks'. Tap on this and you will see the subtask display option.

Regarding your second question, I can see no way to move an existing task to become a subtask or to move a subtask from one parent to another. I'm not a regular user of the Toodledo iPhone app so others can correct me if I am wrong.

I use this capability all the time on the app I use regularly. Didn't realise it was missing from Toodledo.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 15, 2012 in: vote for your favorite feature request.
  • PeterW 
Posted by greginfla:
how about another bump, can I bump my own post?

Not really. See the 6th bullet point under 'General Rules' on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/rules.php
PeterW 

Posted Apr 15, 2012 in: Importing plain text files for notes
  • PeterW 
Toodledo has an import feature for notebooks. I am not sure what the filespec is but the page is located here: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_csv.php

I brought a bunch of notes in via Dropbox and Appigo Notebook which can also sync with Toodledo.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 12, 2012 in: Tab behavior change
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 12, 2012
Confirmed that this is happening for me too on Chrome. It wasn't like this before.

I don't have FireFox installed but just tried in IE9 and the same behaviour is happening there also.

Curious!
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2012
Posted by ben:
On occasion I will review (self asses) how I am feeling about / interacting with my trusted system seeking the path of least resistance and making adjustments if I find resistance building up. I am actually in a review cycle right now and am starting to make some adjustments to how I process.

I do this from time-to-time too and find it helps keep things fresh.

And in fact I've just made a significant change. Until now my system has been based closely on the 'Proximo' design, i.e. folders for next actions, projects, someday & waiting for. The projects folder contains parent tasks for each project and subtasks for each project's actions.

But after reading David Allen's recent Productive Living newsletter about project lists http://www.davidco.com/newsletters/archive/0412.html it got me thinking. I don't spend much time in the projects folder itself but prefer to work out of the Hotlist. While this helped me crunch through next actions including project next actions, it didn't keep my list of projects visible. I'd see them in the weekly review but in the daily grind they haven't had enough focus.

So the change I have made is this: I still use folders for Next Actions (i.e. single tasks), Someday and Waiting-for but instead of one Projects folder, I now have a folder for each project. To keep them together on the screen I've prefixed them with "Prj:" and am using the same colour. So in the main interface I can now see all of my projects (i.e. my main commitments) and hopefully this will help me progress them forward more regularly and purposefully.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 08, 2012 in: Hidden Future Tasks
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 08, 2012
PeterW 

Posted Apr 06, 2012 in: gSyncit -Toodledo Error 100
Score: 2
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 06, 2012
  • Score: 2
Toodledo doesn't monitor this section of the forums. Best to re-post this in the Questions section of the forums which they do monitor.

It's quite likely this is a problem with the third-party app in which case you should contact them. Perhaps do it at the same time?
PeterW 

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2012
Posted by Purveyor:
Two things:
1. How did these "tasks without folder/context/tag" get into Toodledo? You use Todo on your iPhone, right? You can set defaults in that app and in Toodledo.

I was talking about when I was using Toodledo, which was until recently. I prefer to not set defaults for new tasks - I want to process them later from the Inbox. I either enter them myself with just a task name or I email them in.

And, why is it "so important in terms of GTD to have an always visible inbox with count indicator"?

I probably should have said "important for me in terms of GTD". I don't want to lose visibility of what I need to get done, so having a visual reminder that I don't have to dig for is important for me.

2. You are no longer using Toodledo. Why are you still posting here and promoting another website?

I'm still a current Toodledo subscriber, and still have data on the website, so I think it's ok for me to continue participating here. Appigo doesn't have user forums at present and I enjoy discussion about GTD. I'm not promoting another website - I'm talking about what I am using but that doesn't equate with 'promotion'.

Why do you ask? Is this a problem for you?
PeterW 

Posted Apr 04, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 04, 2012
Posted by Dave:
For a long time when I would drop in a task I would force myself to add it to a folder, status, and context. It can stressful to have to do that for each one if it isn't the next action.

I was doing the same and also found it stressful & annoying.

One reason I did it was because Toodledo has no Inbox. I mostly worked out of the Main view (using the Hotlist) so these new tasks without a folder/context/tag weren't visible unless I remembered to switch to the Folder view periodically and look in 'No Folder'. It was easy to overlook this and it wasn't good to constantly have to remind myself about it.

I tried using the Search tab where I could define my own Hotlist and Inbox and thereby have what I needed in one place, but there are no task counts on the search tab so I still had to click on the inbox to see if anything was in it. While this doesn't seem like a big deal, it felt like a constant roadblock that prevented me from feeling that I was in control.

Thankfully Todo Online solves this with a permanently visible inbox with a task count. I can now just mind dump into it whenever I want (or email to it) and know that it won't be hidden so I can get to it when I'm ready.

This message was edited Apr 04, 2012.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 04, 2012
OK, I know what you mean. Not sure if you'll get double-up reminders etc - guess you can just test a few scenarios and see what transpires. It's definitely worth avoiding - at one point I had multiple reminders setup on Toodledo (SMS, email and Twitter, just because I could) until I realised that it was driving me mad so I turned them all off. Now I just rely on the device (iPhone) reminder and nothing else.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 03, 2012
Having one calendar is a bit like the holy grail, isn't it?

It seems to me that some compromises are needed to achieve this but it's been a while since I last checked so I'm not sure if there's now an easy way if your data is a number of places.

My situation is or was similar... Win7 at work with Outlook 2010 on Exchange sycing to iPhone4. At home I was running a WinVista laptop and had ditched Outlook in favour of Google. I really liked the cloud as it mean that it was all accessible at work without needing my laptop.

I liked the iPhone experience so much (after Win mobile phones) that I decided to switch over to a Macbook Pro at home and therefore moved all my personal mail and calendar data from Google over to iCloud. This was a good move - now all my personal calendar, mail and contact data syncs automatically from Mac to iPhone and vice versa.

However I don't have a combined calendar on my Mac - the iPhone is what I use to see everything in the one place and that works fine for me. I haven't bothered trying to get all my work calendar data onto my Mac - just not worth it for me. And I don't try to put my tasks onto the calendar either - again it's just not worth it, too much clutter etc.

I am guessing with the consistent rise in popularity of the Mac that Micro$oft will have to enable better integration with Exchange at some point.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 02, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2012
@Purveyor - I did the very same thing last week, i.e. grabbed my copy of GTD to flick through and decided I'd read the whole book again.

@cabbage - I was also using the start date field in Toodledo occasionally to stop some tasks from appearing until I wanted to see them. Appigo doesn't have this field but I haven't missed having it.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next