ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Posted May 24, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 0
Switched to Remember the Milk back in October even before they published specific import directions for Toodledo. You have probably already visited the RTM page to see those instructions. If not, they are here: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import
DrFrankBuck

Posted May 09, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Thanks for GSP1963 for the compare/contrast.

I decided to go with Remember the Milk in October and have been very happy with the decision. My decision was based on the robust nature of the free version. It has everything I require. Shortly thereafter, I did upgrade and think it's well worth the $40. I keep subtasks, the ability to upload attachments (that go into Dropbox, and I'm a long-time Dropbox user). You have a nice widget.

Yes, at first the 2-clicks-to-mark-complete struck me as odd. But checking the box "selects" a task, and then you can do multiple things with that task (date, repeat, delegate). The real beauty is to be able to multi-select a whole bunch of tasks and mass-assign any of those.

If you like keyboard shortcuts instead of mouse clicking, RTM excels there. You can do so much without touching the mouse.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Apr 03, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
For those looking for an alternative, I started using Remember the Milk back in October and am very happy. As I look at what is being rolled out on Toodledo (overdue tasks moved forward and now multi-select editing), those things are already in RTM. I love the mobile app...swipe right to mark complete and swipe left to postpone the task to another day. Back in 2016, RTM went through a major upgrade. It's well worth checking out. They even have a dedicated import from Toodledo to RTM so that it will bring everything over. The free account is robust and would give most people everything they need (even collaboration).

I periodically look at this bulletin board and am sad to see the way things are going. I really loved Toodledo and got so many people hooked on it. Removing the ability to forward emails into Toodledo in the free account was the deal-breaker.

I saw a comment about someone going back to paper. The advantage is that you start with a clean slate, and it will feel good...for a while. The good feeling comes from the fact that starting over makes you clean up your stuff. Over the years, every time I have thought about changing my organizational system, I've learned that I just need to clean up the one I have.

We all remember the days of rewriting to-do lists and having to manually scan pages looking for things and trying to find ways to keep pieces and parts of projects together. I haven't rewritten a list since 2001. Digital organization is the way to go.
DrFrankBuck

Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome. The biggest advantage this gave me in Toodledo was being able to add a date stamp or date/time stamp. As a bonus, I could add any other text I wanted. So if the task is "Call Bob" and I get Bob's voicemail, I want to notate I left a message. In the note section, I enter VM and Auto Text Expander turns it into this:

Left voicemail message February 23rd 2019, 6:38 AM
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 07, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
I went to Remember the Milk in October and have been well-pleased. Here is the page with the import instructions: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 09, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Curt,

Another couple of things... Keyboard shortcuts in Remember the Milk are really strong.The ones I like most have to do with editing the proprties of the task. Hitting a number (1, 2, 3, 4) edits priority, for example.

Attachments...the Pro plan allows you to add attachments via Dropbox.

For more involved tasks (really projects in my mind) that have subtasks and notes to go with the task or subtasks, I like to have a record of all of that once the project is over. I can "print" the task as PDF and then drag into Evernote for archive purposes.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 09, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Curt,

I looked at TIckTick and ultimately decided on Remember the Milk. TickTick is a Chinese company whereas Remember the Milk is based in the United States, for what it's worth. When entering a new task, RTM offers a more robust menu of what attributes you can assign. The "smart add" is also very nice. (Get dog food ^tomorrow 3PM !2 +David Assigns the task of "Get dog food" for tomorrow at 3:00PM with a medium priority and delegates it to David.)

I like the ability RTM gives you to multi-select tasks and then assign the same date, list, etc. to all of them at once. The "postpone" feature is also nice...I can postpone the due date of one or more tasks by a given number of days.

Don't know how the app operates in TickTick, but I like the RTM app. Swipe right to mark as complete. Swipe left to postpone. Tap and hold to change any attributes.

RTM provides a straight Toodledo to RTM export/import.

The drag and drop seems stronger in TickTick if that is a concern. I can go into more detail if you like.

I hope I am not overlooking things about TickTick. I don't know it nearly as well.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 04, 2019 in: Toodledo Update: November 2018
Score: 1
I have moved to Remember the Milk and have been impressed. So many of the enhancement suggestions for Toodledo are already in place in RTM. Response to questions has been excellent.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 21, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
tjgraf_todo , here is an idea for how to handle your repeating tasks using Evernote as your task manager...Setting up the repeating tasks in If This Then That.

Each repeating task you have would be its own applet, but they would all work the same. Your "IF" would be Date/Time, Your "That" would be Evernote.

For the "IF," when you choose Date/Time, make the appropriate selection: Every month on the 1st, every Wednesday, every Tuesday at 9:00AM, etc. Very easy.

For the "THAT," once you chose Evernote, your selection will be to make a new note. You can assign a notebook at that point and tag if desired. For example, tagging it "Repeating" would then allow you to created a saved search in Evernote that find all of the repeating tasks currently on the list.

Granted, it's not as easy as creating repeating tasks on a dedicated task manager, but if you want to use Evernote exclusively, this will work.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 21, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I use Evernote for notes. (Disclaimer..I am an Evernote Certified Consultant.) If you a heavy Office user, OneNote is also a good choice.

I also use a service called TaskClone. It allows Evernote (or OneNote) to communicate with a variety of digital task managers (of which Toodledo is one). As you are composing notes, there are times when you things of to-dos associated with the subject. You can put those to-dos right in the note preceded by a checkbox. Tag the note "TaskClone" in Evernote and it appears on your task list with a link back to the note. You can even add syntax in the note that will cause the task to appear on a certain date or with a certain priority.

For example, in the body of an Evernote note, if I put a checkbox followed by Call Bob #12/28 !!, it's going to put that task on Toodledo with a due date of 12/28 and a priority of high.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 17, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Curt, I checked on the number of collaborators you can have, and the answer is as follows:
There is no limit on the number of contacts one can have, give tasks to, or share lists with.

However, a specific list can only be shared with 2 others (3 total people) without Pro.

In RTM, "Contacts" are list Collaborators in Toodledo. You can assign tasks to them.
Lists would be like large projects where you could share the entire collection of tasks. Looks like even with that, your team would be fine with the free plan.

In 2016, RTM went through a significant upgrade. It's changed a tremendous amount since you made your decision 11 years ago.

Frank

Posted by Curt:
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Remember the Milk allows for collaboration in the free version. Take a look. I think you will be pleased at what you see.

Posted by Curt:
Other than the concern about privacy that I posted previously (still not comfortable with the answer from Aaron or the ambiguous policy esp. with no easy Opt Out button anywhere), I have remained silent as I read the various posts. I still question whether our data is being used for tracking/profit.

We've had three Silver collaborator accounts for over 10 years and although what I believed was a little pricey at $20/year for how we use each of them, they serve our purpose of being able to track our own task items and delegate or share other tasks from both laptop or cell phone app that sync. We don't really need all of the bells and whistles like Habits, long history, Notes, Scheduler, etc. I'm sure that is all very helpful to those that use them, but not something that we use or benefits us. So at $20 each and $60/year total for 3 accounts, it has been tolerable. But now that the Payment Subscription Categories are changing, any paying subscriber is forced at a minimum to pay $36/year (or $108 for three accounts in our case) for some of the basic items we already have.....almost double the price with a lot less features...including the only one we really care about...collaboration. So now to get the collaboration for the three of us, we are forced to go up another level up with more of the features we don't need, but already have with our Silver account. That takes us to $60 each or $180 a year total....a 300% increase with less features!

I remember when the announcement was made that there was going to be new ownership not so long ago and we were assured by the new owners that no drastic changes would be made. Well, I haven't noticed any real productivity or feature improvements, but going from $20/year to $36/year with a lot fewer features, in my opinion, is definitely drastic. Tripling the cost with no increase in performance and still less features is ludicrous and business suicide! There is no way I am paying $180 for a To Do program! I think management is critically miscalculating Toodledo users loyalty to the point where I am seriously concerned that there will be an exodus of paying subscribers as their subscriptions expire and that there will be very few new members that will splurge on a To Do list that has much more affordable competition. Then there have been so many other inconsistencies in the communication (and recently lack thereof) that I don't feel like I can trust anything new that is said about future development and pricing or trust whether my privacy is in fact at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program that has collaboration for at least three users and both laptop and app capability?

Thanks Frank, I'll give RTM another look. RTM was a final contender when we chose Toodledo almost 11 years ago. There weren't that many to choose from back then, now there are a plethora of programs.....almost too many.

Anyone else have feedback on RTM? Or have a different suggestion for a To Do program that offers collaboration for 3 users?
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 16, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Remember the Milk allows for collaboration in the free version. Take a look. I think you will be pleased at what you see.

Posted by Curt:
Other than the concern about privacy that I posted previously (still not comfortable with the answer from Aaron or the ambiguous policy esp. with no easy Opt Out button anywhere), I have remained silent as I read the various posts. I still question whether our data is being used for tracking/profit.

We've had three Silver collaborator accounts for over 10 years and although what I believed was a little pricey at $20/year for how we use each of them, they serve our purpose of being able to track our own task items and delegate or share other tasks from both laptop or cell phone app that sync. We don't really need all of the bells and whistles like Habits, long history, Notes, Scheduler, etc. I'm sure that is all very helpful to those that use them, but not something that we use or benefits us. So at $20 each and $60/year total for 3 accounts, it has been tolerable. But now that the Payment Subscription Categories are changing, any paying subscriber is forced at a minimum to pay $36/year (or $108 for three accounts in our case) for some of the basic items we already have.....almost double the price with a lot less features...including the only one we really care about...collaboration. So now to get the collaboration for the three of us, we are forced to go up another level up with more of the features we don't need, but already have with our Silver account. That takes us to $60 each or $180 a year total....a 300% increase with less features!

I remember when the announcement was made that there was going to be new ownership not so long ago and we were assured by the new owners that no drastic changes would be made. Well, I haven't noticed any real productivity or feature improvements, but going from $20/year to $36/year with a lot fewer features, in my opinion, is definitely drastic. Tripling the cost with no increase in performance and still less features is ludicrous and business suicide! There is no way I am paying $180 for a To Do program! I think management is critically miscalculating Toodledo users loyalty to the point where I am seriously concerned that there will be an exodus of paying subscribers as their subscriptions expire and that there will be very few new members that will splurge on a To Do list that has much more affordable competition. Then there have been so many other inconsistencies in the communication (and recently lack thereof) that I don't feel like I can trust anything new that is said about future development and pricing or trust whether my privacy is in fact at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program that has collaboration for at least three users and both laptop and app capability?
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 10, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: November 2018
Posted by roaz:
I think the chances of someone new coming in and doing a better job than Jake on the existing code base is slim. It was his baby for 10+ years. It will take much longer than hoped (planned) for that to happen.

Nobody is talking about how difficult this effort will be with new developers. There is a high risk of failure. Maybe I missed it over the last few months, but I did not see any programming credentials that proved otherwise. I saw business and project management skills....not the high profile developer with ownership that could step in and hit the ground running.

I will not be renewing my subscription and have already moved on to another solution. There are many excellent products out there with good management and larger teams. While you may have to adjust your work flow and approach, I found it a worthwhile effort.

I hope that I am proved wrong and wish everyone all the best.

I have the same concerns and already transitioned to another task manager (Remember the Milk). From what I am seeing in the forms, I'm not reading anything that gives me hope.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 03, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: -1
Posted by Mike Thomas:
After an initial flurry of trying to find an alternative that works well (for my needs) I had given up and resolved to bite the bullet and pay the ransom for a year of service, thereby delaying the decision by a year. But I cannot - every time I go to the Subscribe page (prompted by the arrow glaring at me in the left pane of my browser), it's still showing the old plans (with no warning of the impending change). None of the old plans say I will get 3rd-party app access (because it is supported by all of them for another 31 days).

This makes me determined to look again at the alternatives because I don't want to be painted into a corner come New Year's Day, or worse stuck in a tool that suddenly goes out of business because the users all moved to something else.

I don't need a lot of TD features. They all currently exist in the free version. But I *do* need to be able to make changes on a phone *and* in a browser and have them sync, plus I need support for sorting by context (or something analogous to it). Sadly most alternatives don't hit all those features, the one that does (RTM) will not import from TD (I used the beta version as directed and got no tasks after the import - but that's a question for the RTM forum).

Ditching TD altogether and syncing Ultimate To-Do List directly with Google Tasks is a non-starter (whoever "designed" (using the term loosely) Google Tasks should be selling deep-fried sliced vegetables).

This is pretty frustrating.

I transitioned to RTM and really did it the hard way. Here is what RTM now has on their website:
How to import your tasks from Toodledo
First, you'll need to export your tasks from Toodledo:

Click on your avatar at the top right of the screen, and select Import / Export / Backup.
Click the Backup / Restore button.
Click "Download backup file" there to download an XML file from Toodledo.
To import your tasks into Remember The Milk:

Open the Remember The Milk web app or desktop app.
Click on the 'Settings gear' at the top right.
Click on Account settings.
Click on Import in the menu on the left.
Choose "Toodledo" from the Import From dropdown.
Click the Choose File button and select the Toodle ".xml" file from your computer.
Click the Import button.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 17, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by Dave Gannon:
[quote]When will your setup guide for RTM be available? :)

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
[quote]I agree. If you give me a free car and it doesn't have a sunroof, I'm OK with that. But if give me a free car that has no reverse gear, it's not going to get the job done. Sure, I could make sure I never pull into a garage and allows park in such a way that another car won't park in front of me. But, I'm not going to be interested, even if it's free. To me, with a task manager, subtasks and attachments are like the sunroof. Forwarding emails is like the reverse gear.

I emailed Aaron about that very point and did not hear back. That became the deciding factor for leaving Toodledo in favor of Remember the Milk.[/quote]

It is ready now. Shoot me an email. Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org.
DrFrankBuck

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Sam,

Here is a newspaper article I wrote on Toodledo. (I write a weekly article on organization/time management).

https://www.annistonstar.com/the_st_clair_times/frank-buck----toodledo-amazing-powerful-choice-for/a rticle_33f327e2-2178-11e8-a186-4bbe65909997.html

You are free to pull information from that article. Also feel free to contact me Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org if you would like to arrange a time to talk by phone.

I have been using Toodledo since 2012. I had been using a BlackBerry and syncing to Outlook. When I moved to an Android device, I left Outlook in favor of a cloud-based productivity suite. Toodledo replaced Outlook tasks. I wrote about that process here: https://www.frankbuck.org/from-outlook-to-toodledo/

I know this does not line up with the questions. I have learned not to spend too much time on an "all call" where the information submitted may not be used at all. If what you see from the links in this reply stands out, I can provide photo, additional info.

Thanks,
Frank

Sam,
I have transitioned to Remember the Milk following the changes to the free plan. So, mine would not be a testimonial you would likely want to use.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 08, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 3
I agree. If you give me a free car and it doesn't have a sunroof, I'm OK with that. But if give me a free car that has no reverse gear, it's not going to get the job done. Sure, I could make sure I never pull into a garage and allows park in such a way that another car won't park in front of me. But, I'm not going to be interested, even if it's free. To me, with a task manager, subtasks and attachments are like the sunroof. Forwarding emails is like the reverse gear.

I emailed Aaron about that very point and did not hear back. That became the deciding factor for leaving Toodledo in favor of Remember the Milk.

Posted by joelhfx:
The old pricing plan was reasonable. I would argue that some free features should be premium but the fact that the new standard pricing plan doesn't include add tasks via email is outrageous.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Want to come back to Toodledo but.....
Take a look at the Toodledo bookmarklet. So easy to use and will turn anything with a URL into a task.

Posted by J. O. D.:
And I am using it to add webpages to further examine them later. Interesting, that it also works for Gmail.

Posted by martingchapman:
3. Gmail integration - is there a way I can take an e-mail in Gmail and turn it into a task?

I use the "Add to toodledo" Chrome extension.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/add-to-toodledo/hdmhiihcenipfdlmkdlhmgijjimlpkim?hl=en
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
I agree with the idea of putting the hard deadline as part of the task.Been doing this for years and it works great. (Example: Write grant proposal for ABC project (DEADLINE NOV. 17). Part of my weekly planning includes searching for the work "DEADLINE" and it brings up every task that has a true drop-dead date. I use Due Date for the date I want to see the task again. For me, Start Date (which has a default of today) is a quick reference for how long the task has been hanging around (although there is a spot on both Toodledo and RTM that shows the creation date.)

I am like the automatic migration of overdue tasks to the current day...looks like that's being planned for Toodledo and the collaboration on the free plan.

Posted by Ummagumma:
I just can’t warm up to Todoist. E.g. the inability to sort tasks on mobile is rather mind boggling in 2018. (Unless you are Apple).

If I ever go back to a paid subscription service, I think RTM will be very high on my list.

I am also re-thinking my workflow. One of the biggest limiting factors in choosing the suitable tools was my insistence on using the due dates to track the deadlines, and start dates to schedule/ filter out tasks for action. Not very many apps and services support the start date. I should be fine for the foreseeable future (GoodTask + Outlook, with CalenGoo as a backup option, or RTM if I move to a paid service again). But I will also try a different approach - putting the deadline in task subject and using Due date for scheduling work; this should open up the possibilities quite a bit.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 01, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Remember the Milk now has Toodledo-specific import instructions.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import

If this option is of interest, be sure to read the "Note" (The Toodledo import is currently available in the beta channel of the web/desktop app. You can switch to that in the Account settings, in the General section.) You would switch over to the beta channel BEFORE trying to do the import. Otherwise, Toodledo won't show up in the list of possible imports.)

I have not tried this personally, since I had already copied over tasks through other means. Would be interested in success others have.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next