Search results for "Posted by AA"
AA

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 3
  • AA
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
  • Score: 3
Posted by byerun:
I'm not following. The gold subscription seems to match closest to the new individual plan which is about $60/year. The $89.99/year you mentioned is for the business plan. Or am I missing something?

Yes. "Full history" is a must, and it's now only available for the "Business" plan, which means a threefold price hike for a Gold subscriber like myself. There's nothing "business-oriented", however, about wishing to keep your history of tasks intact; that's a very reasonable expectation for personal tasks management, too.

And, do you really believe doubling the price for the "personal" plan would be justifiable even if it fully corresponded to the current Gold plan? I don't think so. Especially after the new owners made public promises here about no price increases for current users. And only a few months later, our subscription pricing gets doubled or tripled?
AA

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 3
  • AA
  • Score: 3
The threefold price hike is insane and unacceptable even to a hardcore Toodledo fan like myself, as I detailed in the thread dedicated to this shocking news:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26237/-117233/read.html#jump

... so I'm not going to repeat myself here.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2018.
AA

Score: 6
  • AA
  • Score: 6
Posted by aleding:
The new cost is a > 200% increase (i.e. 3x) for the same existing feature set and quantity\storage allotments...

Even that isn't certain! I hope the rumors that Habits will be gone are only rumors. If they cancel Habits, I'm outta here even before my Gold plan runs out next summer.

Granted, the current implementation of Habits in Toodledo is extremely basic and buggy, but this relatively new feature got me hooked a couple of years ago, and it's now as essential for me as tasks management.

After spending some time online yesterday looking for an alternative to Toodledo Habits, I couldn't really find any. Yes, the current implementation of Habits in Toodledo is anything but perfect, but none of the alternative habits-tracking apps I looked at offered quite the combination available here. That is, that you can make a habit a yes/no habit, a number habit, or a star rating habit. That is very useful to me, and I track 89 habits that way every single day, and it helps me get through each day. If anyone knows of an alternative habits-tracking app that makes it possible to track all 3 types of habits, please let me know. All the apps I looked at offered only the option to track yes/no habits, or yes/no and number habits, but no app seems to offer all 3 habit types the way Toodledo Habits do it.

Then again, in Toodledo Habits, you get next to zero motivation to keep your habits, next to zero insight into your past performance – it's all very clunky, the interface is horrible (checking off a habit on one device doesn't reliably check it off on all devices), etc.

Sigh. I wish the new Toodledo owners would first improve the software and iron out its bugs before slapping their loyal customers in the face with an outrageous threefold price hike.

As others have said before, I very much fear this is the death of Toodledo. Must be very sad for Jake to see what's about to happen to his product he lovingly developed for many years. But if a hardcore Toodledo fan like myself is ready to jump ship now, I can't see how Toodledo can retain their current customer base, let alone find new customers.

Really, folks: you honestly believe people will pay for a task manager the annual rate they pay for, say, an annual Dropbox plan of 1 terabyte of storage? It's an insane business proposition, in my opinion, if you forgive my saying so.

And sorry if this isn't "constructive" enough for your taste. If you reward your loyal customers with a 300% price hike, you can expect to get lots of frustration and anger in response, not "constructive" criticism.

The most telling and saddest aspect of all this is what Purveyor mentioned above:

Sam, the owner who said “I'll be super active in this forum, answering as many questions as possible” has disappeared. This is what he said when he announced the proposed changes to pricing:

Posted by Sam
More likely than not, this won’t be so much of a pricing change, but combining the Gold and Platinum package.
Please note that there is no plan to increase the price of current paying users.
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/25975/0/toodledo-update-1.html

I guess as soon as Jake sold Toodledo, we could reasonably expect it would eventually come down to this, that Toodledo would crash to the ground sooner or later, and I guess it was naively optimistic to expect anything else.

And here it is... :-(

This message was edited Oct 17, 2018.
AA

Score: 2
  • AA
  • Score: 2
I'm so disgusted. What a horrible, horrible price hike. This is what you get for years of customer loyalty – they TRIPLE the price on you! Or is it QUADRUPLE? It looks like the so-called Business plan might be the only one that's usable for a current Gold subscriber like myself. I knew when Jake sold Toodledo we were in deep trouble. But this has surpassed my worst fears.
AA

Posted Jul 06, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 1
  • AA
  • Posted: Jul 06, 2018
  • Score: 1
To echo what others said, my top wish is not to remove/screw up any current features. I avoid any and all updates, both apps and operating systems, because upgrading, in my experience (not necessarily relating to Toodledo), typically brings lots of headache, often more headaches than benefits.

My second wish would be to support Markdown in all notes fields... and add the time-stamp button to notes fields attached to tasks, too, not just to notes! :-)

This message was edited Jul 06, 2018.
AA

Posted Apr 28, 2015 in: How to Mute Toodledo Alarms?
Score: 0
  • AA
  • Posted: Apr 28, 2015
  • Score: 0
Thank you for those alternative suggestions, Jake. I'll be exploring them. It may be one of the iPads that's giving me the trouble, rather than the iPhone. I usually have both the iPhone and at least one iPad at hand, so it's sometimes difficult to locate the device from which the disturbing alarm sound originated. (I may set up a different alarm sound on every device to troubleshoot this – that would make it clear.)

The issue may well be that the iPad has no dedicated "mute" button. At least iPad Air doesn't have it anymore, and on my older iPads, I use that former hardware button to lock screen orientation, not to mute sounds. However, prior to every meeting, I make sure to mute sounds all the way down manually with the "volume down" button on all of my handheld devices, and I also mute my iPhone using the hardware switch... to no avail! It's happened several times already for the disturbing Toodledo alarm sound to screech from one of my devices in the midst of an important meeting with clients, etc. It's definitely mortifying.

Yes, disabling Toodledo alarms for good is possible, but it's not that I don't wish to use Toodledo alarms. They are very welcome, just not in the midst of important meetings, funerals, concerts, while taking a nap, etc. For occasions like these, users need an easy way to disable all sounds from the darn mobile devices temporarily. Apple is 100% to blame for this, because even the "Do Not Disturb" setting (let alone the hardware switch on the iDevice) does not guarantee that the darn device will remain truly silent. In contrast, muting devices does work reliably on my Android phones and tablets.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2015.
AA

Posted Apr 25, 2015 in: How to Mute Toodledo Alarms?
  • AA
  • Posted: Apr 25, 2015
Is there a way to temporarily mute Toodledo alarms? I have been repeatedly mortified over the years by Toodledo alarms sounding under totally unacceptable circumstances, despite my having activated "silent mode" on iPhone, iPad, etc. I realize that this is a terrible shortcoming on the part of iOS, that there seems to be no way to reliably silence these darn devices (no, the relatively new feature of "Do Not Disturb" seems totally useless as well), but isn't there a way to resolve this from Toodledo's side? I really am afraid to set up any Toodledo alarms by now, because there seems to be no way to mute them when your device is put into silent mode.

Thank you for your advice.
AA

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2015
OK, so we now have decimals, but there is only one number visible behind the decimal point. I like to record some financial data in Habits, too, and I'd like to state amounts in cents precisely. Currently, Habits only displays the first number following the decimal point. If I enter "0.72" cents, I only get to see "0.7" in the field. Please allow more precision for these number fields. Thank you.
AA

Posted Feb 21, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 21, 2015
Posted by Xavanil:
Clicking on the Habit tab requires a new Habit - where do I put that?

It's the other way round for me: I put "process all tasks for the day" among my everyday Habits. :-p

just kidding - adding another Tab is dumb. I'll never use it, just like I'll never use lists or outlines. If I have to switch contexts from ToDo, I'll just use a best of breed solution.

To me, Habits is as essential as Tasks by now. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean it's "garbage" for others. You have a point, though, in that it might perhaps be possible for users to hide those tabs in the user interface they don't intend to use.

I disagree with the rest. If you need to switch to a different environment to track Habits anyway, what difference does it make whether it's another tab in Toodledo, or completely different software? To me, Toodledo's implementation of Habits is "best-of-breed", or good enough to serve as best-of-breed for me.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2015.
AA

Posted Feb 16, 2015 in: Progress Report - January 2015
Score: 2
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 16, 2015
  • Score: 2
Posted by coolexplorer:
+1 Strengthen TDs Task Manager features and capabilities Please. I (and others are) constantly on the search for the "best Task Manager". You are ahead but the competition is nipping at your heels.

I admit that, much as I love the new Habits feature and find it essential for me by now, I'm disappointed that Toodledo as a top-of-the-line task manager makes it impossible to set up some elementary task recurrence patterns, such as "every last day of a month", "every first weekday in a month", "every last weekend day in a month", or "every year on second Tuesday in October". (These will be relevant for non-everyday Habits, too!) That's a glaring functionality gap to me. I believe Outlook made such recurrence patterns possible back in the 1990s. It would definitely be nice to see these missing, basic task recurrence options added before brand-new functionality is added to Toodledo or its design is tweaked.

Currently, the help file says this for monthly recurrence patterns:

Monthly: It will repeat on the same day of the month (eg., every 16th). It is important to note that if you repeat a monthly task on the 30th or 31st, it will skip over months that do not have that date. For example, a monthly task due on Jan 31 will skip to March 31st because there is no Feb 31st. If you need to repeat a task at the end of the month, we recommend having it due on the 1st of the following month with a 1 day reminder or start-date.

Can it get any more inconvenient and convoluted than this? :-( I'm sorry, but I just don't wish to set up a last-day-of-the-month task for the first day of the following month with a reminder 24 hours ahead of the task. Those are two completely different things to me. Because February only has (mostly) 28 days, I now need to schedule all tasks really meant to be last-day-of-the-month tasks for Day 28 in Toodledo, so that no month is skipped. That is far from satisfactory and from what one would expect from a first-class task manager.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2015.
AA

Posted Feb 14, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 14, 2015
Here is one more piece of evidence I have noticed over the last few days as to why a number habit cannot really be "failed/missed" with a zero (0) value, and why a star habit cannot really be "failed/missed" with a 1-star rating:

Whenever you do that, then such a number/rating habit gets moved from your "Inbox" to the green "Completed" section, and the chain is interpreted as unbroken.

That is incorrect, of course. "Failing/Missing" any habit should break the chain and move it from your "Inbox" to the red "Missed/Failed" section, not the green "Completed".

So, zeroes and 1-star ratings cannot be used for failing/missing habits. (Especially because there may be legitimate zeroes and 1-star ratings that should not break the chain.) We need an "X" for each number and rating habit, too, just like there already is an "X" next to each checkbox habit.

To me, the current "X" next to each checkbox habit is too prominent, perhaps, possibly suggesting a "negative attitude" (like the "Failed" instead of the milder "Missed" nomenclature). I would keep the current ("positive") check symbols as large as they are, but I'd prefer smaller, less distinct "X" buttons, perhaps only (clearly) visible upon mouse-over or some such gesture (faded otherwise), and the "X" might be of equally small size for each type of habit: checkbox, number, and rating. The small "X" might perhaps be located in the upper-right corner of the field containing the check symbol/number field/star symbols?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2015.
AA

Posted Feb 12, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 12, 2015
Custom order of habits was among the first requests made. I found a workaround for it, though. I currently have 80 habits: 23 morning habits, 8 afternoon habits, 10 evening habits and 39 bedtime habits. If you prefix the habit name with a letter and a number, then you get your desired order of habits. I use "R" for morning habits, "S" for afternoon habits, "V" for evening habits and "Z" for bedtime habits. So, if you name your habits using a scheme like this:

R-01 Habit name
R-02 Habit name
R-03 Habit name
R-04 Habit name
S-01 Habit name
S-02 Habit name
V-01 Habit name
V-02 Habit name
V-03 Habit name
V-04 Habit name
Z-01 Habit name
Z-02 Habit name
Z-03 Habit name
etc.

then you get the sequence of habits as you're supposed to do them in the course of a typical day. This is why the improvement introduced 2 days ago is so essential – you can now remove habits you failed to perform from your Inbox. If it's already afternoon and I failed to perform some of the "R" (= morning) habits, it's now possible to send them from the Inbox to the Failed/Missed section. (But we need to be able to do that with the number and rating habits as well, not only the checkbox habits.)

This message was edited Feb 12, 2015.
AA

Posted Feb 11, 2015 in: Habits Update
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 11, 2015
Thank you for the explanation, Bridget. That's very neat.

(And congratulations on the first steps in site overhaul! Looks really fresher and cleaner now, especially the new site navigation bar at the top. I'm also noticing more distinct typefaces and buttons in the Notes section, etc. Good stuff.)
AA

• AA
Thank you, the line graph is almost perfect now. It now correctly shows one decimal in the Y axis for a habit that I track using numbers with one decimal; and it shows no decimals in the Y axis for habits that I don't track using decimals.

A cosmetic issue: the left-most number in the Y axis appears to be partly cut off for certain screen resolutions/window sizes:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/misc/body_weight-Toodledo_Habits2.png

I tried this in several browsers with several window sizes, and the fault is apparently there whenever my browser window is taller than it is wide. If I make the browser window wider than it is tall, then there is no cut-off. Or, to put it differently: if my browser window is in landscape orientation, there is no cut-off. But if it's in portrait orientation, you can see the cut-off as in the screenshot.

That's happening on my main Windows 7 working machine with a huge 30-inch monitor (2560 x 1600 pixels resolution). On the iPad, the left-most number in the Y axis is partly cut off in all situations (both landscape and portrait) when I visit the regular Toodledo Habits webpage there with any iPad browser.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2015.
AA

• AA
Posted by Jake:
3) Line graphs now scale better by calculating the minimum and maximum values and adjusting the graph to display as much detail as possible

Thank you, that is appreciated. However, here is what my body weight line graph looks like now:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/misc/body_weight-Toodledo_Habits.png

The day-to-day variations in body weight are perfectly visible now (and I'm embarrassed to see them – too much sedentary work lately), but the numeric values along the Y axis are rather humorous. :-) I believe a good rule of thumb might be: use the same number of decimals along the Y axis that the user employs in tracking the habit. I track my body weight in kilograms with one decimal number, so I think that that (= one decimal number at most) would be acceptable along the Y axis as well. Although the most common-sense solution here really would be just 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, etc.

For a different number Habit of mine, I never use decimals to track it. Yet the line graph does show me decimals (only one) along the Y axis for that particular Habit. That definitely seems excessive. If a user never employs decimals for tracking a particular Habit, then I think no decimals should be used in the Y axis in the line graph for that particular Habit, either.

4) Dividers on the left side can now be collapsed by clicking on them

Hmmm... Somehow I don't understand what is meant by "dividers on the left side". (?) No big deal.

AA

Posted Feb 11, 2015 in: Progress Report - January 2015
  • AA
Posted by shelbyp:
Well I think many who are active in the Habits section and discussions would disagree... Habits is a core part of GTD and therefore a key tool and part of the "core product".

I absolutely agree. Toodledo Habits have been a revelation for me, starting from Day 1 last month (New Year's Day). I now wonder how I could ever live without them. ;-) (I used to track my habits using a self-made Excel sheet, but this is so much better!) Habits are anything but "bells & whistles" to me; they've become just as crucial to me at this point as the Tasks section itself. (And definitely more important than the Notes section, although that one is indispensable as well.) :-)

AA

Posted Feb 11, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
Posted by Jake:
We are still working on that.

Thank you.

Our initial thought was that to fail a number habit you would enter the value of 0.

That won't do, as explained, for example, in this post: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-93222/read.html#jump

To illustrate further: for some of my Habits, a zero (0) really is my target = the direct opposite of a failure. For those particular Habits, I typically enter negative numeric values every day, but whenever I enter a zero, that means I fully accomplished that particular Habit on that day. So, a zero can't really be used to denote a failed numeric Habit, because a zero may, in fact, denote ultimate success for some numeric Habits. :-)

Or, let's take the "Body Weight" example. What if you have no access to a body scale on a particular day? You can hardly enter "0" to denote your weight on that day, can you? And, just leaving the field empty won't do, either, because then the "Body Weight" habit would remain sticking in the Inbox, cluttering it unnecessarily.

To fail a rating habit you would give it a rating of 1 star

Oops! That's a definite no-go to me... Let's take the "Be Kind to Co-Workers" habit as an example. If I'm away on vacation for two weeks, and have no contact whatsoever with my co-workers during that time, you can hardly expect me to rate myself "1 star" in that Habit for 14 straight days! :-o Because that would mean I had been absolutely beastly to my co-workers for 2 straight weeks... ;-) It would totally distort my long-term average rating for that particular Habit, etc.

Nope, the reality is that during those 2 weeks of vacation, I simply got no opportunity to be kind to co-workers, because during those 2 weeks, there were no co-workers for me to interact with. That deserves neither 1 star, nor 3 stars, nor 5 stars... For days like that, the "Be Kind to Co-Workers" rating habit should simply be discarded as irrelevant.

(Which is why I proposed the "Missed" label, perhaps, instead of the harsher-sounding "Failed" label; it's not really a "failure" for me to go on 2 weeks of vacation, after all, temporarily losing contact to my co-workers; I simply missed rating that particular Habit during those 2 weeks – that's all. It implies neither "failure" nor "success".)

AA

• AA
I can see the new option to "fail" a checkbox habit now. Thank you.

However, we absolutely also need the ability to fail a number or rating habit, too. The reasons for that were explained at length in the original Habits thread, for example here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-93222/read.html#jump Please add these options as well. Otherwise, the Inbox still remains cluttered... For further discussion, please see here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-93749/read.html#jump

The piechart on the Habits Dashboard continues displaying data that are wildly off-base.

AA

Posted Feb 11, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
I can see the new option to "fail" a checkbox habit now. Thank you.

However, we absolutely also need the ability to fail a number or rating habit, too. Please add these options as well. Otherwise, the Inbox still remains cluttered...

Thank you.
AA

Posted Feb 10, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 10, 2015
I beg to disagree with Ken Thomas (and others) above. I appreciate that Tasks, Notes, Habits and Lists are currently distinct, separate environments. That may be just me, but I'd find it confusing to see those four areas integrated. (I don't use Outlines.)

Please do not enforce any such integration. Make it optional for those Toodledo users who would find it helpful.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2015.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next