Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Oct 26, 2010 in: Task counts on Search tabs
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2010
  • Score: 0
Excellent! This is really great.

I've selected just three search tabs to display task counts: Inbox, Hotlist and Completed today.

What other cool things can you do, piyush_soni?
PeterW 

Posted Oct 26, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
@dag.remote,

I agree with alexandremrj in principle. The way I work is to put appointments in the calendar, e.g. work meetings in Outlook and personal stuff in MobileMe. I spend most of my time working out of Toodledo and use the calendar as a reference for appointments during the day. For me, date-critical tasks tend to not be time critical so this works fine and it suits me fine because I am no fan of Outlook!

Nonetheless this would be the holy grail - i.e. the ability to link Toodledo items with your calendars (i.e. Outlook/Exchange/MobileMe/Google) etc without lengthy sync delays etc. One day...
PeterW 

Posted Oct 26, 2010 in: Political outlook of Toodledo users
  • PeterW 
I haven't read Freakonomics but it sounds like a good read.

The 'censorship' issue is actually a complete beat up. It's being pushed by the opposition party (which coincidentally is the conservative side of politics and the one normally advocating all kinds of censorship) because their mantra is to just oppose everything the govt proposes.

The more important issue is that the opposition is trying to stop the government rolling out a national fibre broadband network right around the country. The govt won an election on this promise and it has widespread support, but the opposition thinks it's a waste of taxpayer's money. They believe wireless goes just as fast as fibre. FFS!
PeterW 

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: Too much work for too little value
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2010
Posted by SteveUrich:
Is anyone consider running a contest in terms of providing a for prize to the best video that shows how to use Toodledo for its maximum effectiveness.

My goal has always been to come up with a prioritize daily to do list that would allow me to execute effectively during the day. So far I've been unable to determine how to do that using Toodledo.

Look at Proximo's GTD setup thread in the GTD section. It contains videos.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
  • PeterW 
@dag.remote,

1. Non-project / general todos?
These tasks are filed in the other folders, e.g:
- in 'Next' if I can do them;
- in 'Waiting for' if I am waiting on someone else to respond or do something first;
- in 'Someday' if they're nice-to-do but not imperative tasks.

The Inbox is only for tasks that I haven't processed yet and will be emptied daily.

2. Multiple projects
Yes, I have a pro account for this reason. In the Projects folder, every task is a project (parent task) and each have subtasks that are my project next actions.

3. Starred item(s) feature
Yes, I do use the Star field. As mentioned above, I have a Hotlist (saved search) that I use to drive what I want to achieve each day. This is usually a list of 5-10 tasks and is made up of tasks that have a hard due date (due today or tomorrow) and tasks that I've 'starred'. This gives me a small manageable list of tasks for the day.

Using the Star field avoids having to put soft due dates on tasks. Per GTD methodology, I only put a due date on tasks if they really are due that day. I don't want to get into the habit of setting soft due dates (i.e. setting due dates as a reminder) and then rolling the tasks forward all the time when they aren't done - that's a waste of time and energy and creates the sense that I am not getting things done.

However I will use the start date field if I want a tickler for any task.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: Political outlook of Toodledo users
  • PeterW 
Posted by Andrew A:
LOL... then as a frequent listener of BBC World Service, happy to discuss yours!

Sure... fire away. I'm betting Australian politics don't get much airplay anywhere else in the world. About the only news that makes it to other countries is when a shark bites someone.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: Appigo has announced Todo v4
  • PeterW 
Appigo has their own forums - probably best to post there as I've never seen them on the Toodledo forums.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
  • PeterW 
Toodledo is quite flexible so there are many ways you could tackle this.

My system (which has been modelled on others here) is to use Folders for the main GTD categories, e.g:
- Next
- Projects
- Waiting for
- Someday

The folder that a task resides within denotes its status, and by simply moving a task from one folder to another you change its status.

Any task that is in the 'Next' folder is by definition a next action (a single step task) that can be done when time/energy permits. Projects are kept in a separate folder as they contain parent tasks (the project itself) and subtasks, which are the project next actions.

I use a saved search to create my own 'Hotlist' of the tasks that I want to work on next. This list is made up of tasks from both from the 'Next' and 'Project' folders and will include anything with a hard due date of today or tomorrow and items that are starred.

Note that there is a 'Status' field in Toodledo that has GTD selections such as 'next', 'waiting for' etc. I found the folder method easier than maintaining another field but it might work for you.

I use the Context field only for contexts - I've always found it best to keep things as simple as possible and play to a solution's strengths.

There's lots to be found at Toodledo so you probably need to do a bit of testing to see what works for you.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 24, 2010 in: Pocket Informant ?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 24, 2010
@SRhyse - I'm a former user of PI for Windows Mobile and had similar crash experiences on that platform. Same as you did, I gave it up but reinstalled when new releases were available but it just never seemed stable.

And I found the support to be a bit lacking at times - I felt that users were treated a bit like they were a nuisance.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 23, 2010
That's not happening for me in FireFox - just tested 3.6.10 and then upgraded to 3.6.11 and tried again, still all OK. I've never had this lockup problem in FireFox.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 23, 2010 in: Tag management
  • PeterW 
I haven't tried this before now but just had a go and it seemed to work OK for me.

What I did was go to the Search view, create a new search to find tasks with a specific Tag, and then use the Multi-Edit feature to change that Tag to something else. I was also able to add a tag and then remove the tag. Essentially, all I was doing was replacing the Tag field with something else.

So for example if the Tag field contains:
Tag1, Tag2
...I was able to replace that with just Tag1 thereby removing Tag2.

I was also able to replace the field with
Tag1, Tag2, Tag3
...thereby adding Tag3.

I guess it might be tricky if you have tasks with multiple tags and those tags are in different orders.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 23, 2010 in: Color Fiend
  • PeterW 
@Zanna,

I answered this in my other response to you in the thread "Ugly but it works".
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/6/8073/0/its-ugly-but-it-works.html

And just to add, once you've found a theme that you like, it's not that difficult to make your own changes if you want to add some additional colour.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 23, 2010 in: It's ugly, but it works!
Score: 2
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 2
If you can use FireFox or Chrome as your browser, there is a free add-in named 'Stylish' that allows you to enhance Toodledo's appearance and take away some of the ugly.

Stylish for FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108/
Stylish for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe
Free styles for Toodledo: http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/toodledo.com

Once you have installed Stylish, it's simple to install themes and they make a BIG difference.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 23, 2010 in: Political outlook of Toodledo users
  • PeterW 
Or maybe just that some of us live in other countries so the US political situation is not of much interest.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 22, 2010 in: Print booklet
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Yes, you need a Pro subscription to be able to use the Booklet feature.

http://www.toodledo.com/pro.php
PeterW 

Posted Oct 22, 2010 in: Repeat reminders?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Appigo Todo (another iPhone app that syncs with Toodledo) now allows multiple reminders per task.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 21, 2010 in: WIndows Phone 7
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2010
My view is that it's highly unlikely Toodledo will ever develop a WP7 app.

You might want to check out Pocket Informant. It's a long-time Windows Mobile app so maybe they will rewrite for WP7.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Posted by mark:
Anyway, I agree with the others just use a "commute" context.

Yes, fully agree.

Technocrap was making a very good point - you don't need a GPS to tell you that you're on the bus or any place that you're purposely at. GPS is useful when you don't know where you are or where you're going.

We've had similar discussions about the Location feature in other threads. I still feel that it's trying to automate something that just doesn't need to be automated. When you're in a specific context, set that on your device and review what can be done.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 21, 2010 in: Task counts on Search tabs
  • PeterW 
Brilliant! Thanks again for your work on this. This little enhancement is an absolute gem.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
@Technocrap: LMAO! That was possibly one of the funniest responses I have ever seen in these forums.

I'm still laughing. :D
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next