ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 08, 2013
  • Score: -1
Posted by vivendom.budget:

I think that is easy to implement, because you have saved search functionality created. I just need the link.

You must have extensive web development experience. Can you give us an idea of what sorts of web sites you've developed?
Salgud

Posted Oct 03, 2013 in: Change Completion Date
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 03, 2013
  • Score: 0
Posted by philip:
Dear Jake,

How can you say that editing the completed date, "is not something that most people need to do"?

As it's not allowed apart from the extreme of installing third-party, how would you know who needs to use it?

Also, you don't know how many people use other competing software because of this missing feature.

There will always only be a "few" vocal people asking for a this. Most people who need it will just junk the software and use something else and recommend that their friends use something else.

I'll bet he knows better than you do how many need this. How would you have a clue, other than you and a few other very vocal participants? Please, tell us where you got your "numbers" on how many want it and how many don't.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2013
Posted by Jake:
The "top is fixed" setting is probably what is causing this. It is an experimental setting. Try turning this off and see if it helps.

That is one loooooong experiment! ;)
Salgud

Posted Oct 02, 2013 in: Re-ordering tasks
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2013
  • Score: -1
I agree, Scott. While a number of users have been clamoring for manual ordering for a while, to others, it's not a particularly desirable feature. It would be a waste of my time to order my tasks each day since I am at the beck and call of so many, that my day virtually never goes the way I would have thought when I sat down at my desk. I look at the tasks currently due, pick the one I feel is most urgent, using criteria that are too complex for software to know, and get to work on that one. And then another. But one phone call or visit from someone can turn everything inside out in an instant. So taking the time and trouble to manually order my list would just be a waste.

I don't believe that everyone else works in the same world as mine, and don't oppose manual ordering as a reasonable enhancement, but then, I don't consider myself the Most Important User either.
Salgud

Posted Oct 01, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 01, 2013
Thanks again. That makes more sense. I was thinking you must have an amazing memory!
Salgud

Posted Oct 01, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 01, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

So the tasks are entirely separate from the outline, that is, don't appear in the outline. The outline only goes down to the level above tasks. So you look at your outline, take the lowest level item, decide which tasks are needed to complete it, and create the tasks in your task list. And apparently, you can remember which tasks in your flat task list are associated with the outline items.

That's my problem, I would eventually get confused as to which items in my flat task list "belong" to which items in my outline. I would need at least one level of redundancy, so that the lowest level in the outline would correspond to a parent task in my multilevel task list. Might be worth a try though.
Salgud

Posted Sep 30, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 30, 2013
Posted by acc.mcpherson:
It's pretty simple for me, I use it to list my projects and subprojects. I like having it separate from my tasks because of the GTD methodology that you can't do a project. Previously I kept my projects in the task area and it was kludge to keep them separate, too many work arounds and quite frankly it never worked for me in the three years I have used this product, so the outlines are perfect for this.

Thanks for your reply.

So how do you track what comes from an outline and at what level it was, and what doesn't? Or do you just remember? Is the outline hierarchy reflected somehow in the task list? Are the two tied together in any way other than your memory?
Salgud

Posted Sep 30, 2013 in: countdown and integration with evernote
  • Salgud
Just curious, what is a "countdown option"?
Salgud

Posted Sep 30, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
  • Salgud
I am still confused by the Outline feature. Even if it did somehow connect to the task list, how would one use it? But this is moot since it doesn't.

I created a couple of test outlines to try this feature, and they work ok in and of themselves, if I just want an outline. Maybe it's just that my memory, not getting any better as I get older, isn't good enough to do an outline, then go and choose some of the outline items to make into tasks, and then remember later that they are part of an outline. Even if I could, why is that any better than an outline in Word? I guess I could put a reference in the Notes field that this item is from an outline, but that seems like too much of a kludge.

So how do people use Outlines in conjunction with their task list?
Salgud

Posted Sep 30, 2013 in: Undelete Tasks
  • Salgud
Thanks, Jake, that's a useful feature.
Salgud

Posted Sep 24, 2013 in: Windows 8 app
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2013
Purveyor, Since there already is an iOS TD app (so they don't need to develop one), and since Android's market share is around 70%, and there currently is no native Android app for TD, I meant Android. The 10% and 6% for WinMo I got from a recent article I read, can't remember where now.
Salgud

Posted Sep 23, 2013 in: Windows 8 app
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 23, 2013
Let me ask the WinMo users a question. If you making your living as a developer, would you spend your time developing for a platform whose market share peaked a month or two ago at 10%, and has fallen to 6% since? Or for a platform hovering around 70%?

Just curious.
Salgud

Posted Sep 19, 2013 in: Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists, ...
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2013
Posted by Richard Masters:
I fear that the new business plan is to compete with Evernote, which is a doomed venture and personally I will stay with Evernote. Or it is to remain at the 'simple' note-taking end of the market, but that is already occupied by Simplenote, which does that very nicely.

Toodledo's strength is in its powerful task management features with a very good web front end and really good integration with apps on every platform. If they lose focus on maintaining and improving the customer experience of that core functionality it will be at their long-term cost. And that would be a big loss to us all.

Well said!
Salgud

Posted Sep 18, 2013 in: Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists, ...
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 18, 2013
  • Score: 2
Posted by Scott:
you could just stay on the tasks tab and not use the rest, the lack of integration at this point makes it really easy to ignore the parts you don't need.

This is true. However, there is a larger issue of where the developer's efforts are going, and how that impacts the future of TD, and, as a power user, whether I want to continue using TD. I fear that task management related features, such as task dependencies, custom fields, and another level of subtasks that many of us have been waiting for a long time have now been moved from the back burners off the back of the stove.

It feels like someone made up a list of competitor's features, and then decided to add them, each separate from the others and the existing task manager functionality.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2013.
Salgud

Posted Sep 18, 2013 in: Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists, ...
Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 18, 2013
  • Score: 3
Posted by Richard Masters:
I find the proliferation of tabs - 'Tasks', 'Notes', 'Outlines', and now 'Lists' - increasingly confusing and of no help to my workflow at all.

Toodledo has been a superb *task* management tool for me over the years with great web interface and cross-platform support with apps on Android and iOS.

I am really not sure how having separated lists of notes, outlines and lists helps with this.

What am I missing?

I agree. It seems that TD is becoming a collection of loosely related and not well integrated apps.
Salgud

Posted Sep 11, 2013 in: iOS app - big slow-down with v. 3.1.1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 11, 2013
I currently have 24 Saved Searches, but I'm seeing no problems with the speed of the app.
Salgud

Posted Sep 10, 2013 in: Priority labels
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 10, 2013
Just think of "Top" as "Highest", which would be higher than "High". ;)
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2013
Open Toodledo? ;)
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by wksims86:
Now that I have some free time, I've been developing something that can give me 1) task dependency, 2) infinite hierarchies, 3) a better UI, 4) integration with other project management tools (e.g. mindmaps, kanban), 5) simpler implementation, and 6) a reward system for psychological motivation.

Have you looked at IQTELL? I believe it does most of that, and can be configured to do the rest. For sure, the task dependencies and infinite hierarchies are there. I don't know about the interfaces or the "simpler implementation", (which I think is going to be your most difficult challenge in creating your software), those are pretty subjective. As to your "reward system", I have no idea. I guess you could connect it to a vending machine and have it spit out a candy bar when you got a major task completed! :)
Salgud

Posted Sep 09, 2013 in: Add a View
  • Salgud
Posted by cjc182news:
Hi Jake,

How can I see tasks that are due "today" along with tasks that have start dates "today" or in the past? all in one window?

Thank you.

You can do a Saved Search, using the criteria

Due Date|is|today
or
Start Date|is before|tomorrow

If you want to include overdue tasks, you could make the first line:
Due Date|is before|tomorrow

Saved Searches are very powerful. Many TD power users work almost entirely with Saved Searches.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2013.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next