ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Sep 04, 2013 in: Sub Sub Tasks
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 04, 2013
  • Score: 0
I can. I am involved in a large, 5 yr project. That project is run by several work groups, which, in turn, have projects. So the heirarchy would be the main project, CPM, a work group, say PPWG, the project they are doing, and it's tasks. So if TD had more levels, it would look like

CPM
-PPWG
--Project X
---Task1
---Task2

And there are more than a few instances where yet another level would be appropriate.

The way I manage this now in TD, is that CPM is a lifetime goal, each work group is a long-term goal, and and each project is a parent task, each task a subtask. I also use the midterm goals and short term goals in some instances. It works, but it's kludgy and, at times, awkward.
Salgud

Posted Aug 29, 2013 in: iOS App Version 3.1 - Saved Search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 29, 2013
Eureka! Up until now, I only used the iOS app for those occasions when I was away from my desk and thought of a task to add to my list, since I rarely venture out from my Saved Searches. 99% of what I do in TD is there. So having Saved Searches on my phone now makes it a useful tool for everyday application.

Thanks to Jake and the TD team!
Salgud

Posted Aug 29, 2013 in: Toodledo Toosday: Multi-edit
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will be installing it in Chrome (don't want to have 3 browsers, already have to have IE and Chrome here at work), so I found some instructions to install into Chrome. Now I just have to find some time.
Salgud

Posted Aug 28, 2013 in: Toodledo Toosday: Multi-edit
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 28, 2013
This is nice for programmers. Does anyone know of a fix that non-programmers can use to multi-edit without doing a custom search?
Salgud

Posted Aug 28, 2013 in: Outline editing
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 28, 2013
Posted by acc.mcpherson:
Exactly - except that it's not consistent - that's my issue. Clicking on the item doesn't always put it into edit mode - not like it does in the task view, but thanks.

I suggest you might have a system problem. Mine goes into edit mode every time I click on it.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2013
Posted by Jake:
When tapping on a note to view it, you should see a page that shows both the title, folder and note. If not, Im not sure what is happening. If you take a screenshot and make a support ticket, I can help more.

I do see that, most of the time. For a brief moment, I saw a list of folders to select from rather than the note content, and could't see the content. Now it's the other way around, I can see the content by tapping on the note, but can't get to a folder selection box. How would I do that?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2013
I tried to look at a note just now, and instead of showing me the contents of the note, as it did earlier, now all I see is the folder list to select a folder for the note. Why can't I see my note anymore?

I went back one more time to try to see the note's contents, and clicked on Sort. Now I can see the note! Of course, now I can't see the details to select a folder anymore! I've looked for a button or something to switch between modes, and swiped, tapped, double tapped, but none of the usual ways is working. Does anyone know how to switch between seeing not contents and getting the Details screen to appear?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 23, 2013
You have the ability to sort by up to 3 criteria, so by some creative use of that, you can probably make it happen.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 22, 2013
Click on the "Due Date" column header to reverse the sort order.
Salgud

Posted Aug 09, 2013 in: Sub Sub Tasks
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 09, 2013
  • Score: 1
Posted by James_1331156503:
This was the reason I left Toodledo and went to omnifocus instead. It's a shame, but they seem to think there are no users out there that have complex projects or broad use cases.

It could be that, or it could be that they think that they'll attract more new paid users, and make more money, buy adding features like Outlines instead. While I may not personally like their decision, having owned my own businesses, I understand that they are in business to make money. If I owned TD, and thought I could bring in 10% more paid customers by adding a new feature, or keep 2% of my present users by enhancing old functionality, I wouldn't spend a lot of time agonizing over the decision.
Salgud

Posted Aug 01, 2013 in: view completed tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 01, 2013
One way would be to set up a Saved Search, deleting the usual starting criteria for Checked Off No. Then create a criteria
Folder | is | Onions

and save that search. This will show all tasks in the "Onions" folder. If you want to hide the completed tasks, simply deselect that option in the filters box.

If you want to see only completed tasks in that folder, you'd have to create another Saved Search for:

Checked Off | Yes
and
Folder | is | onions

Some of us who've been using TD for a while, pretty much live in the Saved Searches. I've actually recreated some of the other standard searches in Saved Searches so I rarely venture out into the other views.
Salgud

Posted Jul 24, 2013 in: Search Criteria
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 24, 2013
If I recall correctly, it would be like this:
Due Date | is after | today
and
Status | is not | waiting
Salgud

Posted Jul 24, 2013 in: Task Colours
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 24, 2013
I guess the other most obvious option, if you're already using Stars, would be to Tag them.
Salgud

Posted Jul 22, 2013 in: Sync with MS Project and Outlook
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2013
  • Score: 1
It astonishes me the number of Project users (admittedly many of them mandated users) who use it as a task manager rather than a project scheduler. This is like using an atomic bomb to remove a tree stump. Project is intended to be used to do Critical Path Method Scheduling and beyond (cost control, resource allocation, etc.), something far more complex and powerful than even a sophisticated tool like TD. I mean no offence whatever to TD, obviously I'm using it myself. Task management does not require CPM scheduling and a good task manager like TD is adequate for this purpose. But engaging people in Project to generate a task list and a Gantt Chart is absurd, at best. Of course, I'm old-school and often forget that in the internet era, it's simply not worth more than 5 minutes of a person's time to learn to learn how to use an advanced tool like Project.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2013
Thanks for the "unstar" feature. I've been asking for this one for years. Now I have to get out of the habit of unstarring repeating tasks myself.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2013
In the settings screen under "behaviors"
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2013
  • Score: -1
I would like to request that people's opinions, even if seen as negative, not be down-voted in these forums. As I understand it, down-voting is for inappropriate posts with such things as ad-hominems or cursing or spam. None of the posts here are of that nature, and should not be down-voted. For years, these forums have been open to relevant comments on TD's application and development, and I hope will continue to do so. I would hate to see these forums content be reduced to only "popular" opinions.
Salgud

Posted Jun 26, 2013 in: Toodledo Toosdays: Organize Your List
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2013
Posted by Norman J.:
It would be nice to have a 'review feature' in the style of OmniFocus. Since Toodledo is a generic tool and doesn't distinguish between projects and tasks, there is no generic way to 'identify' a reviewable project in the meaning of GTD.

I have trouble understanding what you're saying here because of all the qualifiers, like "generic" and "reviewable" and so forth. (I do know that Allen's definition of a project could be anything from brushing your teeth to a mission to the moon.) But if you're saying there's no way to identify projects in TD, that's not the case. You have search criteria for "Has children" which does the trick. Whether or not that's "generic" or will identify "reviewable" projects is up to you. You can always use tags to aid in this search, unless of course, David Allen doesn't allow it.

A possible solution would be a separate field for defining the review-cycle of a task or sub-task (e.g. review on sunday every 2 weeks) or a global review-interval in the user properties. The question is, when to start with the first review. Maybe it is possible to start the review period from the start of the task or from the 'creation time'.

Because I don't know the 'data model' of Toodledo, I have to guess that is somewhat of an extension to the 'task table' or the creation of a seperate 'review table' and the integration into the web-site, search and mobile applications. Summarizing a hell of work for a small but very useful feature.

A more practicable tip is either using the (often unused) 'start date' to indicate the last review, combined with a search that looks for all tasks whith a 'start date' older than two weeks and bulk-adjust the 'start date' after the review or using a tag like '@2013-06-23' to set the last review date on a task. With the second solution it isn't possible to use a time-based search but you will be able to see old unreviewed tasks in the tag-section of the menu.

I guess you can go to all that trouble, if it pleases you. Seems much simpler to me to create a series of Saved Searches that find what is needed for your weekly review, then just incorporate them appropriately into your list of Saved Searches. However, I recognize that this may not be sophisticated enough for some.
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2013
  • Score: 2
Posted by Jake:
We do not comment on our future directions, but as always we will continue to work hard on Toodledo and in the direction that we believe is the best for customers.

I know that you (and a few others) have been asking for saved sort/filters for years. We have not done it yet because it is a lot of work for relatively little gain, since this feature would only save a few clicks here and there. We have been trying to focus more on things that can't be done than on optimizing clicks, not to say that isn't important too, just that we haven't been focusing on it lately. We'll come around to it.

Jake, I would like to suggest that it's more than just optimizing clicks. I, and many other TD power users virtually live in Saved Searches, and frequently switch between them during the day. Dozens of times. And each time, we either have to think about how to reset the sort order and the filters, or, choose one setting that works "most of the time", which is what I and many others, I suspect, do. This is more than just clicks, it's sub-optimal use of the tool because of this limitation. I would get a much clearer and more accurate representation of my task list if I had each Saved Search sorted and filtered all the time to fit the purpose of that search.

So, to me at least, it is somewhat more than just optimizing clicks, it's about optimizing TD. Thanks for your understanding.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for your reply, Jake, though not what I wanted to hear.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next