Can I ask what this is?
Salgud

Posted Jan 31, 2013 in: Toodledo for iOS downgraded
Score: 4
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 31, 2013
  • Score: 4
Posted by mco:

I have seen many feature requests for Toodledo and similar software that were unrealistic and misguided. Design is an art, and often involves hidden trade-offs. Jake has a very good record of including new features at a brisk pace while preserving older functionality, and I recommend waiting with patience and understanding.

Well said.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013.
Salgud

Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 31, 2013
  • Score: 0
Curious here. What would be the difference between "Folder Is" and "Folder contains" in a search? In both cases, you're limiting your search to tasks within the named folder.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 29, 2013
Posted by dave.reichert:
By the way, I don't see this impacting current users. You could still be able to set context at the task level. I'm just looking for the ability to specify a default value for tasks created within a given folder.

This is a common misconception. Any change "impacts current users". There will be a new Setting for us to understand and choose to use or not. It will take time for the developers to write the necessary code, which will be time away from our personal favorite suggestions, and it will further complicate an already complicated application, meaning it will be more difficult to code and debug going forward, which, again, will take more developer time.

In other words, it's a kind of ecosystem, wherein any even relatively small change in one area affects the entire system.
Salgud

• Salgud
I would imagine that ToDo has a forum of some kind, though not all apps do. You might google for it.
Salgud

Posted Jan 29, 2013 in: 2012 In Review
  • Salgud
You post in the appropriate forum.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by dave.reichert:
This would be a huge time saver

Just curious. Can you give me an estimate of time saved per month on something like this?
Salgud

Posted Jan 28, 2013 in: OVERWHELMED
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 28, 2013
Posted by kashif.khan3:
Wow! I am really overwhelmed and confused. is their a video i can watch somewhere? I already saw some on youtube.

I am using this with the 2 do app

TD can certainly be overwhelming at first. Watching the videos is a good start. From there, I recommend you start with only the standard fields - don't add more complexity at first. Figure out how you want to set the various Settings. This alone takes a while as there are quite a few and some are not intuitively obvious. Remember, you can always change your mind about those at any time.

Work with the basic fields for a while, trying different views and filters. Get comfortable with those. Get to where you have a rudimentary system, and have at least looked at the various formats and views and know how to get TD to where you can easily see what you need. It helps a lot to follow these forums on a regular basis, at least for a while. You can also seek answers when you have questions by searching here. You can start adding fields when you're comfortable with what's already there, as needed.

Then start looking at Saved Searches. If there are views you've discovered you would like that the basic set up doesn't have, create your own in Saved Searches. After a while, you may find that, like many of us, you "live" in Saved Searches. They are the home of most sophisticated users.

Remember that you can always ask a question in these forums, and they are some of the friendliest forums you'll find. Usually, you'll receive an answer withing a few hours of asking, certainly within a day.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Jan 22, 2013 in: semi automatic change of priorities
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 22, 2013
Posted by peter_1348088910:
i have a suggestion about 'priorities'.
i've learned that a priority depends on how IMPORTANT and how URGENT a task is. this implicates that while time flies, something can grow from a low priority to a higher priority.
problem: when you put a task in a low priority because the due-date is far away, it might happen that it gets out of sight and you forget about it because you are only dealing with high priorities.
it would be nice if one could enter dates on wich a priority changes. for example january 15 you enter a task that is MEDIUM, but feb 01 it gets HIGH and feb 20 it gets TOP (because due date is mar 01)
i hope this is interesting for other peolple too.

This is not exactly new. If you want to know more about it, look at Covey's Urgent/Important grid, in the Seven Habits of Effective People and some of his other books.

As far as automating this process, that's rather difficult to do. No matter how you designed the software, more people would be unhappy with your solution that those that would be satisfied, since no 2 of us would want the same impact of urgency on a task's priority. Even for an individual, the relative urgency of a task does not, by itself, determine it's importance. I'm sure all of us here have put a less important task off, even past it's due date, to get a more important task done. That report I promised my boss today, but didn't get done because he asked me to do a big presentation tomorrow, and I simply don't have time to do both today. The report will wait until the day after tomorrow. But the auto-escalating feature will probably tell me to get the report done first.

As JPR pointed out, they have already tried to implement this idea with Importance. It works as well as any I've seen, but I still find it doesn't rank my tasks as well as I do. There are just too many factors to consider. Still, I recommend you try it out, maybe it will work better for you than it does for me.
Salgud

Posted Jan 22, 2013 in: Automated backups?
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 22, 2013
  • Score: 1
Just curious, what percentage of TD users have a Dropbox account? I do, but I'll be the majority don't. Seems to me a backup to a designated directory would make more sense to more users.
Salgud

Posted Jan 21, 2013 in: A TD Grocery List
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2013
I think I fixed the problem. I downloaded the Chrome browser on my iPhone, and opened the mobile TD site. It works, so far, and doesn't insist on reverting to my paid work account and keeps my settings, which Safari wouldn't do. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 16, 2013
I agree, and would also like filter settings preserved as well. In other words, be able to duplicate the Saved Search just as I last left it.
Salgud

Posted Jan 15, 2013 in: Folder Disappeared
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2013
Did you save the folder after you created it, and before you left the page?
Salgud

Posted Jan 14, 2013 in: Why I cannot create sub-subtask????
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2013
I have spend a fair amount of time reviewing, trying out, and actually using quite a few task managers. I don't recall ever seeing one with more task levels than TD until just last week. There is a new one, still in beta, called IQTELL, which I believe has more levels. I haven't tried that particular feature yet, so I don't know for sure. And by the way, it has a very steep learning curve, much steeper even than TD.

Also, I follow these forums quite closely, nearly every day, and I very much doubt that "90%" of the users are clamoring for this particular feature, though I admit, it is one of the more often requested ones. Beyond that, I don't believe that anyone on these forums can reasonably claim to represent "90%" of the users. It just doesn't work that way. We all represent ourselves and our own interests, which are often in conflict. However, I do believe that a large percentage of users here, though certainly less than 90%, believe that their particular need is the most important one.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013.
Salgud

Posted Jan 14, 2013 in: Saved searched with Starred
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2013
Starred is in the dropdown list, in alphabetical order with the rest. Maybe you're looking under "Task is" instead of just in the main list?
Salgud

Posted Jan 11, 2013 in: Search drop downs
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2013
To get to Starred, click on "Main" in the box in the upper left hand corner, then Starred from the list below.

To have both AND and OR in the same search, you must choose to start with one or the other from the pull down list at the very top of the Search box. Your options are ALL, meaning your starting/higher level connectors will be AND, and your lower level connectors will be OR. Or you can choose ANY, which means your starting/higher level connectors will be OR, and your lower level connectors will be AND.

You'll quickly realize this somewhat limits your search capabilities in TD, or at least makes it more difficult to get what you want sometimes. I haven't yet found a search I couldn't create this way, but it does force one to think it through carefully and often calls for repetition of particular search criteria.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Jan 09, 2013 in: Is something wrong with me?
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2013
  • Score: 1
I am the king of the task management junkies. I've been using task management software since before it was software,pen and pencil. But when I saw the first task management software back in the early DOS days, I was hooked. Others here may remember, if they survived long enough, the delightful TSR (terminate and stay resident) task managers. What a nightmare! I don't know how many task managers I've tried since, but I've used probably a dozen and researched many, many more, before deciding not to adopt them.

Funny you should mention this now, because I too am involved in a affair, this time with a new online task manager called IQTELL. Someone mentioned it here, and I've been playing with it for a few days now. It's very interesting, and the first thing to tempt me away from TD in almost 3 years. It's certainly not pretty (the pretty ones, like Things, always seem to have major personality flaws, like no development going on), but it's totally customizable, which is something I haven't seen in a task manager since my all-time favorite, Commence, which I ran a business using and stayed faithful to for years.

I have long since decided it's a hobby of mine, and I enjoy trying out new ones, even if I don't divorce the wife. I guess I'm just a task management s**t!
Salgud

Posted Jan 09, 2013 in: Recently Completed Filter
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2013
This is one of the limitations of the iPad/iPhone apps. They don't have Saved Searches, which will do exactly what you're asking for. Saved Searches are available only online, for now. You can slightly modify the "Hotlist" (in the Settings screen), but the other standard views are all fixed as you see them.

We have recently been promised that Saved Searches will be available in iOS sometime this year, and event many of us have been waiting for for some time. I'm personally planning a big "Saved Searches for TD are here!" party that day. ;)
Salgud

Posted Jan 08, 2013 in: Permanent Link not working...again.
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

Interesting, because that's where I was when I did all my testing yesterday. So it does work from the Search page sometimes.
Salgud

Posted Jan 07, 2013 in: Do Subtasks inherit parent atrributes?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 07, 2013
If you create your new subtask by clicking in the arrow icon and selecting "Create Subtask", the subtask will have all the same attributes as the parent task.

Also, if you click on the arrow icon for a subtask, and select "Clone Task", the new task will have the same attributes as the task it was cloned from.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next