ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by boydston01"
boydston01

Posted Oct 23, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 15
Posted by MM1772:
The only thing that Standard is missing is a longer task history. One week is very limited. If it was even 6 months, that might be enough that I could work around it.

Yeah, one week makes total sense for the free plan but the standard plan should get a year.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2018.
boydston01

Posted Oct 18, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: Product Principles
Score: 2
The new, absurd pricing undermines these product principles. You need a first principle about providing a good value.
boydston01

Posted Oct 18, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 8
$90 a year for a todo app. That is insane. I am not one to care much about price. If it works for me, I am happy to pay a premium. In fact, that is why I've been happy to pay the very lofty price of $30/year for the gold subscription. $30/year WAS EXPENSIVE for a todo app! Yes, it's one of the most powerful todo apps, but still a todo app.

Just a single quick comparison:
Office 365 Personal (1 user) is CHEAPER at $70/year. Family, for 6 users, is $100/year, only $10 more than Toodledo. One of the many things Office 365 includes is a very robust todo application in Outlook. Oh, and that todo app is fully integrated into a complete email/calendar solution with robust exchange syncing to mobile apps.

The point is that $90/year brings Toodledo into a completely different realm and level of productivity solutions. Absolutely absurd for a todo app.
boydston01

Posted Oct 18, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: Product Principles
Score: 0
Where is everyone getting the new pricing details?
boydston01

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: Product Principles
Those feel pretty good to me.

Though the second one is a bit intangible to me. "Focus on what matters most: We hear many users say that they spend more time than they’d like organizing and sorting tasks. Toodledo can do more heavy lifting to surface and remind you of the single most important task to work on right now." What does this mean? Toodledo will use advanced AI and monitoring featured to determine what I should work on next? Yes, I'm being silly... but maybe this needs a little unpacking.
boydston01

Posted Sep 14, 2018 in: Syncing Toodledo with Google Tasks
There is not a built-in, "clean" way. You might find a solution with the third party stuff. https://www.toodledo.com/tools/directory.php
boydston01

Posted Aug 20, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
Score: 1
It looks good.

Similar to @pawelkaleta sentiment, I wonder if you could emphasize the fact Toodledo ACTUALLY IS customizable.
Something like:

"Many todo apps claim to be customizable but fall short. Toodledo's advanced filtering, sorting, and adjustable interface actually delivers on this promise."

You might use the testimonials more strategically. Connect each testimonial to a feature that it relates to.

Anyway, it really is a fantastic start.
boydston01

Posted Aug 01, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Posted by Ummagumma:
Let's face it, the service is great but it's very niche, with a goofy interface, and very confusing for a new user unless they are already at the point where they can appreciate it's complexity.

I wonder if they could greatly benefit by greatly developing the customization of the UI itself—in such a way that a simple, easy to use "app" could be presented for new users. A front end with nothing confusing... until they start adding to the UI those components.
boydston01

Many todo apps claim to let you work your way. Toodledo actually does it! I've tried lots of todo apps and Toodledo is tops for letting me customize my lists so that I can work with my tasks my way. And if I ever develop a different workflow, I know I'll be able to customize Toodledo to support it.

Aaron
Private secondary boarding schools
Assoc Director of Alumni Relations
boydston01

Posted Jul 31, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Posted by Sam:
Posted by GSP1963:

Oh, and if I would make a suggestion in terms of the landing page, it would be this: Be sure to mention that Toodledo is designed to allow the user to customize the tool to his needs. Something like: "Add fields, delete fields, rearrange their display, use tags or don't, build custom searches--all this, and more, is possible. The product can be as simple or complicated as you want. Chances are, the way you managed your todo lists a year ago was different than today, and will be different a year from now. Toodledo is the one todo manager that can be reconfigured to meet your needs."

This is helpful thanks. I've been using Toodledo for a while now and have used many other apps in the past. However, I rarely customize things. I just use the basic features. The customization piece wasn't a huge surprise to me when I saw people saying they love it as I know the community, but I was surprised at how many people actually love that.

Can you tell me a little about your set up and how it compares to the other apps you've used?

I definitely agree that y'all should capitalize on Toodledo's customization because it differentiates the product from almost all other todo apps out there. In fact, positioning Toodledo as just another todo app that promises to "organize your life" may hurt you in the long run. You will get users that will try Toodledo only to discover that it is not nearly as nice for simple task management needs. They will move elsewhere remembering that Toodledo is not for them. You'll get some short-term success but to get more 5+ year users, you got to market Toodledo's strengths.

Personally, I touch the built-in views less than once a week. My primary setup (saved search) shows me all work tasks with a start date of today and earlier, sorted with today tasks at top, and grouped by priority. This way future tasks "show up" on my list on their start date at the top of their priority level. It also creates an organic change of priority. As tasks get lower on the list it usually means they really do not need to be done right now and I can re-organize them. Then I have other custom lists for reviewing next weeks tasks, undated "backburner" tasks, etc.

How does this compare to other apps I have used? There are very few other apps that this is even possible with! Just start date alone is hard to find...
boydston01

Posted Jul 31, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Posted by justinhappy:
Who is going to subsidize all these free loaders for their year at Toodledo? You can find many crappy alternatives and they even offer free for 30 days. .. toodi..., asa..

What I am suggesting is to move "free loaders" to paying customers. Right now, people can "free load" forever. I am saying let them free load for only one year which is much, much shorter than forever.
boydston01

Posted Jul 29, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Posted by Sam:
Pricing and number of users
I said this in the beginning, but we want Toodledo to be the best damn productivity tool out there. To do that, we need to sustainably (aka profitably) hire a talented team and invest into the product and people building it.

Given the current pricing structure, the only way we can afford this is by either adding new paid users or increasing the price of subscription for new users. A combination of both is most likely the answer.

So you’ll notice on the pricing page we will be running some tests. More likely than not, this won’t be so much of a pricing change, but combining the Gold and Platinum package.

Please note that there is no plan to increase the price of current paying users.

A quick note on sustainability:

Replace free service with a VERY long trial account - 1 year.

This is long-term thinking. It gives current free accounts PLENTY of time so as to mitigate backlash. People are generally reasonable so the biggest problem with transitioning free to paid is the typical "immediacy" of it which does not honor the provider's decision to give it away which enables users to rely on a free service. A crazy long trial will give new users tons of time to develop their use of Toodledo. Your rewards are delayed but slow and steady tends to build a stronger, more sustainable foundation.

Additionally, if you must give something for free, the individual apps could be free while the syncing service is paid.
boydston01

Posted Jul 16, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by Jim_Lewis:
I've read all sorts of time and task management books: Covey's 7 Habits, Allen's Getting Things Done, Linenburger's Managing Your Now, etc.

Of these, Linenberger's idea of controlling your time horizon, prioritizing your tasks, and not looking too far beyond tasks that are due today or tomorrow (except for strategic views) perhaps had the most influence.

But with all these task management approaches, I felt I was spending too much time reviewing tasks, changing tasks folders, tags, or due dates/start dates and getting involved in too much busy work.

So I still assign and change priorities as necessary to allow for changing priorities. I still use Start Dates to make tasks "disappear" into the unforeseen future when there is no need to be distracted by them.

But in Toodledo and related third-party apps for Android and Windows 10, I've found the handiest quickest thing to focus my immediate attention is to misuse CONTEXT. Normally in Allen's view of the world, context is the environment in which you are best able to handle a task, @work, @home, @computer, @phone, etc. I ignore this environmental context completely.

Instead, I've reinvented contexts like @IMMED (immediately), @Now (not immediately but real soon now), @Today (hopefully), and @Waiting for everything else that's real important but not likely to get done today.

I want to use Tags to categorize more broadly and cross-reference items so Tags are not in the running for use in relative to-do timing (and Tags are not easily assignable and removable from a dropdown that you only want to contain a few possibilities). And things have Priorities but the Priorities given don't really reflect what time relative to Managing Your Now that you need to do them. Context works great, it's easy to change in ToodleDo and associated apps and for any context of IMMED, NOW, TODAY, or whatever, I can still see a relative priority within that relative NOW categorization of what I should pay attention, too. And something I find that I've let lag and I really should get done forthwith, I can "reschedule" not by messing around with any dates, folders, or priorities but just by given it my @IMMED context. Even if I don't do it today or tomorrow, it will still be in @IMMED, which is where I would look first to do anything that needs to be done. If I want to make it disappear into the future but still be a high priority item to attack, I will change the Start Date into the future but leave its given relative priority in terms of intrinsic importance and its given @IMMED time management categorization as something that needs to get done immediately when it crosses the event horizon again, etc.

So my filter for @IMMED would be something like "Checked Off is NO AND Has context @IMMED AND (Has Start Date before Tomorrow or Start Date Doesn't Exist), etc., implemented as a named SAVED SEARCH. Same for the other context time-prioritization categories (contexts in my usage) except the other thing that defines @Waiting is just the @Waiting context assignment and Checked Off is NO.

And I control relative sorting order of my Saved Searches by using prefixes to the name of the search as necessary to control sort order, e.g. @A_(name) vs. @AA_(name), etc.

A final example of how this is handy is that "Comb the cat" is normally a low-priority daily recurring task. But if I've let it lag several days and the cat has already puked hairballs (and her lunch) a couple of times on the floor today, I can make this lowly task something deserving of my immediate attention to reduce future hair ingestion just by assigning it to the @IMMED context (misuse) without changing anything else about the task's normal priority (low) or its start/due date. And as soon as I feel the item has gotten the attention it deserves, changing the context to None (or deleting it in certain third-party apps) puts combing kitty right back in the low priority daily recurring setting it never really had to leave to get my attention by changing its "context."

Those who swear by Allen and "real" context will call this heresy - BUT IT WORKS GREAT FOR ME!

P.S. You also don't have to change any task's home folder location to bring it into your high-priority, should do immediately, do very soon today, or do sometime today views. You just change the context, nothing else. I think the inspiration of this approach was playing around with Microsoft's new To-Do app where there is a MY TODAY view and from any list folder within MS To-DO, you can leave an item there but make it appear in the MY TODAY view just by giving it a MY TODAY assignment. And when you remove it from MY TODAY, it's still sitting in its original folder. It can appear in MY TODAY whether it's a dated item or not. So misusing CONTEXT was my way of creating different relative NOW time priority MY TODAY views.....while leaving the overall real relative priority assignment in the universe of strategic tasks intact.

Perfect example of how Toodledo's strength is its ability to be customized into a user's own developed system. This also surfaces one very simple, concrete way to double down on Toodledo's customization: custom labels for fields.
boydston01

Posted Jul 12, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by jenschiltz:
Hi, I'm a user of Toodledo for over 10 years and I use it all day long. Please don't change anything! It's a great tool! One request though, could you please enhance it so that you can select multiple tasks and change the due date? This would help efficiency immensely!

Which is it? Don't change anything? Or please enhance? LOL :D
boydston01

Posted by stateoftheart:
This is exactly what I was worried about. some stupid execs with zero understanding of actual productivity (please read the quote below very carefully) complain toodledo is "ugly" on iphone because they can't change the theme. New team sweeps in to dumb-ify the app to make some extra bucks off the GTD++++ or whatever fad of the day and we are all screwed.
In other words it will be a copy of countless todo apps in market.
It's official: toodledo as we know and love is dead in less than a year.

Posted by Sam:
Posted by kcrenshaw:
My company does productivity and management training for executives (www.priacta.com).
We've featured and recommended Toodledo as our #1 productivity tool for some time.

In live screen sharing and coaching sessions. I've seen Toodledo through the eyes of clients who love and struggle with it.

I'm also a developer and business owner and understand the need for backward compatibility and profitability.
I have some very specific feedback on what clients love, what we think should improve, and how to make more money from it with little effort.

We love and recommend Toodledo because it is highly customizable.
We configure it for TRO (a GTD++ approach, more productivity, less effort).
If that ever changes so we can't do that, we'd have to move to another tool instead. So the customization has to stay.

If you want to talk, reach out via http://kevincrenshaw.com (orange button at top or form at bottom).

In the meantime, the following are the biggest holdups for our clients:

- Ugly (non-colorful) UI on the iPhone app, no choice of themes.
Many execs would rather struggle with a more stupid but colorful app just because of the appearance!
Go figure. But true. One recent client said, "The user interface is 10 years old!"

- Shortcut keys are inadequate, lack of autocomplete.
Some clients rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts.
Some because of RSI and others for efficiency.
But lack of autocomplete and other problems make it nearly impossible to fill in task details *in a task grid* without using a mouse.
For example, clients struggle to use a keystroke-only approach to setting dates after tabbing to the field.

- And I know how you can make more money on it with almost no effort.
- And we may know how to expand it to a team workflow approach (TRO for teams) with the least effort, so you can start selling to teams like Asana does.

Kevin Crenshaw
Head Coach and Co-Founder
Priacta / Neverboss
www.priacta.com
www.neverboss.com

This is great Kevin, huge thanks. Can you email me so we can chat? [email protected]

To be fair, it would be easy to improve aesthetics (and give color options) without touching functionality. I agree with your point, though, but not sure it applies here (time will tell).

This message was edited Jul 12, 2018.
boydston01

Score: 3
Jake, thanks for toodledo. It has been an immense blessing.

Some of my "high-level" thoughts in this transition:

-Toodledo is rock-solid, super reliable, high-performing, and very mature. There is very little essential functionality that needs to change. Don't break it.
-Toodledo has always favored function over form. This is its underlying strength, not a liability.
-Toodledo is one of the only task management apps that can truly be adjusted to how a person works (most todo apps require you to work in a particular manner). This is accomplished by two things: 1) Tasks have many fields so that users can choose what they want to use 2) Robust custom views ("saved searches") that allow users to organize and view their tasks however they want. The filtering/sorting based on lots of tasks fields produces "endless" possibilities.
-I believe Toodledo's growth lies NOT in app development so much (it's already very mature), but in marketing and sales. Capitalize on its strength (customizable to a businesses todo workflow) and get Toodledo into more markets. In fact, I say most of Toodledo's still-needed core-development revolves around exploiting its strengths. For example, building a user interface that is entirely customizable and building tools that make all the customization "easy" (like figure out how to make complex saved searches really intuitive).

Over the years, I am convinced Jake has always been very intentionally cautious about adding new features because that always breaks things. Many of us whine about "needed-features" but those missing features play a big part in Toodledo being "the best todo app" around. Yes, drag and drop would be great!!! But what will be sacrificed?
boydston01

Posted Jul 10, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by ba66e77:
There are other tools that have prettier UI's but nothing I've found has the flexibility and power of Toodledo. Toodledo lets me bend it to match my process rather than forcing me to bend to match its process like all the prettier tools do.

Well said!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2018.
boydston01

Posted May 17, 2018 in: Toodledo 2017 - The Year in Review
Score: 3
Posted by GSP1963:
Just a quick post here to give the people at Toodledo a bit of customer feedback.

I just returned to Toodledo after using another app for over a year. I have been using Toodledo off-and-on--mostly on--for 15 years, by my best estimate. Before returning to Toodledo recently, I evaluated about a dozen task manager options. Observations:

1. The single greatest thing about Toodledo is its superb customizable view and reports. Nothing comes close. It's like the Erector Set of todo apps: with the options in selecting fields, the order of presenting those fields, the customizable searches, you can pretty much build anything you want. This is the essence of Toodledo, frankly, and I think you folks need to beat that point home relentlessly. You will never win a contest for being pretty, being a "life manager," or being trendy and hip. What Toodledo does is it gets the work done like nothing else. Need a report that shows all tasks done for a certain project exactly X days ago and excluding trivial (-1) tasks? Toodledo can do it. Oh, and you want to sort by Priority first, print a copy, then sort by date, and print another copy? No problem.

2. The aging and unacceptable Toodledo iOS app was almost a deal-breaker for me. I imagine that this weak spot takes Toodledo off the list of options for many. It doesn't match the website design, it doesn't use the full iPhone X screen, and it looks very dated. In the end, I followed advice I'd seen on here and tried the website on my phone and found that worked well enough for my uses. For serious task work, I use my desktop PC; for me, all I really need from the phone is a lightweight reminder of what's on the agenda. I use stars to indicate tasks for the current day, and the website on my phone handles that well. I'm glad I got past the iOS app hurdle; I'm sure many don't.

3. I agree with recent comments by Jake that the added bells and whistles added to the app are uncertain in terms of being a plus or a minus. Notes are certainly useful. But Outlines, Lists, and--especially--Habits? There are other apps that handle those things much better and I worry that in trying to present itself as a Swiss Army knife, so to speak, focus is being taken away from Toodledo's incomparable tasks views and reporting. Toodledo can't compete with the many excellent habit-building apps out there and it puts itself at a disadvantage, in my opinion, to encourage evaluators to judge it in that area. I could be wrong. I can certainly appreciate the logic in trying to make Toodledo a comprehensive organizing solution; I'm just not sure it's the right approach.

That's it. I hope this has been helpful. Thank you all for continuing to develop and maintain Toodledo.

I am quoting GSP's ENTIRE post because these could be my own words!

I especially agree with point number one. Toodledo is about the ONLY todo app that can be customized so as to truly support anyone's methodology.
boydston01

Posted Feb 05, 2018 in: How to refresh "home" web app?
Thanks, Jake. I was hoping for an "in place" refresh, though. Oh, well—but good to know.
boydston01

Posted Feb 02, 2018 in: How to refresh "home" web app?
After adding the toodledo web app to the home screen of iOS, how do I refresh the page?
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next