ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 04, 2020 in: We’re Back
Score: 0
We’ve discussed TickTick here a few years ago. The domain owner address was registered in mainland China, the headquarters were, supposedly, in Hong Kong (which is still China), and they claimed that the foreign (or perhaps just American) users’ data was stored on the servers located in the US. Which means nothing when the people with access to these servers are in China.

So, I could not use TT, as I am dealing with some proprietary business data for work, and use attachments a lot.

I am using my own system that’s very simple and centered around due dates and plaintext tags. So far, it’s been working ok.

Can’t give up on TD forum yet...
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 23, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by Philippe Lahalle:
Very strange!
This morning (6:30 a.m. in France), I can modify the task titles on my iPhone 8 Plus with iOS14 and the official Toodledo app version 3.4.1 (5649).
Yesterday I could not.

Post updated:
and at 10 a.m. I can't modify the task titles!
What is this random bug?
I am getting crazy!

While I am not a developer, this to me seems to indicate server sync issues.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 16, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by Anthony_Taylor:
I bought my subscription while it was on offer and I still have a couple of years on it, but I have left. I am using todoist. It works very well, alexa integration and now kanban layouts. I did like toodledo, but I can't stay with a company that isnt investing or improving. Bugs were not fixed, features never implemented and the new promises broken.

I do miss the true start and end dates, but I can live with it especially when I can see development and improvements happening consistently.

Toodledo feels more like take the money, see how long it lasts while doing nothing. Its just a cash churner while we do something else.

What works for me is for the tasks with a set deadline, I will use due date as a start date, and put the actual due date at the beginning of subject. Like this:

2020.09.25 Task ABC (Due 9/17)

This way, I can sort alphabetically to get a list of tasks with actual hard deadlines, arranged by actual due dates.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted Aug 28, 2020 in: We’re Back
Score: 1
At a risk of sounding as a broken record, since this came up before, I would not trust any business related tasks to a China-based service. Unless you have absolutely zero proprietary project, company, or customer information in them. TickTick is a good,well thought through design, and I am sure that their team is top notch; but their location means they have no choice in who gets access to their servers.
Ummagumma

MS ToDo, while far from being a perfect app, syncs all tasks from Outlook to mobile. It's a direct sync so it's not going through Reminders, which has a number of advantages, one of them being they don't get synced with Toodledo and erased. (Also, the attachments get synced as well, and flagged emails are added to tasks). Just FYI.

Also, if you end up liking MS ToDo on mobile, it's also available as a free app on Windows (you can download it from W10 Marketplace). It runs on top of Outlook task database so no special sync setup is required. Personally, I believe Outlook, while having a dated interface, is still a far more powerful task manager. MS ToDo has a number of features that could be extremely useful but in a typical Microsoft fashion, they sabotaged their own system by bizarre design choices and poor execution. (e.g. filter by tag list and search results lists are sorted by task Creation date instead of due date, with no way to change the sort criteria, which is a weird and idiotic design choice). But since ToDo and Outlook share the same database, it's still a useful enough cross platform task management system. As long as most of your heavy planning is done on the desktop.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted Aug 14, 2020 in: We’re Back
IIRC, the biggest difference was that RTM supported start dates and Todoist didn't.
Ummagumma

Posted Jul 06, 2020 in: We’re Back
Score: 2
No offense, but returning to this thread every now and then and seeing all these users who keep complaining yet still use this service reminds me of an old joke about a hunter and a bear... which I am not going to repeat here, but sure many of you know it already....
Ummagumma

Posted May 19, 2020 in: Recurring tasks gets deleted
That's a very old bug.
Ummagumma

Posted by Peter:
Yeah, I see that. gonna miss it.

Try RTM. From what I recall they were pretty close to TD.
Ummagumma

Posted May 19, 2020 in: Moving On: Final Post
Posted by Peter:
I flew Ecco pro into the ground and will do the same with TD. Nothing comes closer to meeting my needs.

Ecco Pro was a big part of a valuable lesson I learned - never to rely on a unique tool for my long term needs. It was way ahead of its time, for sure :)
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 08, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by jzamoras:
Posted by Mark H:
Anant G:

Just want to say that you should ignore all those Naysayers. First make it functional, then improve. People will be back.

Peace,
- Mark

There is a great effort changing platform. Having said that, I doubt ppl will be back once they switch.

Some people are so set in their specific ways, they will absolutely be back after trying other solutions, because for them nothing else will compare to Toodledo - because nothing else is Toodledo.

The others would need to be persuaded to purchase the paid version. Both the old users who switched & are satisfied with their new platforms, and especially new users.

Which is going to be a very, very tough sell.

A very saturated market. Low brand recognition. No functional mobile and watch application. Confusing (to a potential user), outdated web interface. Terrible / non-existent communication with users. The well documented history of a sudden huge price hike followed by many broken promises and over a year of stagnation and practical abandonment. All that at the highest price point among similar offerings, most of which are far better known.

I wish everyone involved the best.
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 06, 2020 in: We’re Back
Score: 3
Posted by Anant G.:

And in general I agree, the strength of Toodledo is not in pretty looks, it is in high-functionality and we’ll always prioritize that.

The ugly and overly complicated 90s style interface is what kept many people from even considering Toodledo in first place back when it was reasonably priced.

Now it’s not. Not with all the issues.

There’s been zero new functionality added in the last couple of years, and some important functionality actually removed - like Apple Watch app. Toodledo’s presence on mobile devices, where most people spend most of their time, is pitifully limited and at a mercy of 3rd party apps.

As far as I - and many other people - am concerned, Toodledo has been in agony for a long time.

You’ve posted a development roadmap some time back in 2018, IIRC. None of it ever materialized and there was zero feedback and zero response despite multiple attempts by your users to establish at least some way of communication with you. Now you’re acting as if it never happened and you’re starting with a clean slate and asking the remaining user community for their input of what they would like to see in the upcoming great releases... deja vu all over again.... sorry but it’s hard to take this seriously.

This message was edited Mar 06, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted Feb 17, 2020 in: How long to process upgrade?
It appears that for the past few months the service has been running on autopilot with no involvement from the new owners. I’d file a chargeback while you still can. I don’t think Toodledo is going to last much longer.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2020.
Ummagumma

> How hard can it be to put out a basic app that simply shows you the current list of tasks for the day, or something similar?

It's method dependent. You could have it working with anything depending on the method you use to select tasks for the day.

E.g. I use Due date and Top priority attributes. Any tasks with Due date on Today will get reviewed and either selected to be worked on, or rescheduled, any task with Top priority will be worked on today. (I don't have much use for Priorities otherwise. But the same could be achieved using tags).

Since practically every task manager supports Due Dates and Priorities, this method works with all of them. It's just the matter of finding one that provides the most bells and whistles (e.g. filtered views).

When a task has a real deadline, I just put it in the subject line in front of text, in YY.MM.DD format (so that it could be sorted in due date sequence).

This message was edited Feb 06, 2020.
Ummagumma

From what I recall, Outlook will not allow you to have a task with Start Date but no Due Date. It will add a Due date whenever you open the task in it.

If you are using Start dates for task visibility filtering and Due date for actual deadlines, this is not going to work too well.

2Do is a fantastic app but the limitation of Toodledo sync has been there from day one. The developer blames Toodledo's limitations on the number of sync tokens, if I recall correctly.
Ummagumma

Posted Jan 30, 2020 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
IMHO, MLO was created by a Russian developer. It's a fairly old and well established system. However, it has a very specific way of doing things which locks you into a specific tool and if at any point you can no longer use it, you are back to all the pain of abruptly changing your entire task management system.

The best system - for me at least - is the one where every essential feature is so simple that I can use it on any platform or service.
Ummagumma

Posted Jan 30, 2020 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Totally YMMV, but the more bells, whistles, and interdependencies a task manager has, the more time is an average user likely to spend managing task attributes rather than managing tasks.

And GTD was a great system in the era of physical papers and hanging folders, that was initially designed as a workaround for the not-yet-existing due date reminder and quick task sorting functionality. In my honest opinion, the "pure" GTD is grossly overdone in the modern era, and the fact that it's still alive and actively promoted is a fantastic marketing achievement by Dave Allen and his company.

Now, hiding and waiting for all the flack ;)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2020.
Ummagumma

Posted Jan 09, 2020 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Posted by Duo:

Ummagumma,

Thank you for this detailed response and sorry about taking so long to reply; I'm just not on the Toodledo site very much these days.

Unfortunately that review and the other information only increases my own worries. I was trailing TickTick over six years ago because I was never really happy with Toodledo but when I wanted to use it for business purposes I wasn't comfortable putting work tasks, or even the more personal tasks there, so I went all in with Toodledo for a while and kept testing various tools.

I stopped using Toodledo quite a while ago and switched to Todoist but I'm still looking for the tool that fits me and my workflow.

Duo,

No thanks needed, we're all in the same boat.

When I was looking for a possible replacement for Toodledo, RTM seemed like the closest match based on my needs.

However, I grew tired of having to adapt to new apps or services every 5-6 years, and realized that instead of finding an app that suited my specific Toodledo-centric workflow, I had to change my workflow in a way that would work with even the simplest, most common apps and services.

Here's the setup I've been using for a fairly long time now, and it works well regardless of what tool or platform I use it on.

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/-121757/read.html#jump
Ummagumma

Posted Dec 12, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Posted by Duo:
Posted by Ummagumma:
Over a year ago, probably in 2017, when I first started looking at TickTick, someone posted the address of the person who owned the domain, and it was in mainland China. I can probably still find the information.

I just checked, and now it's registered through some company in the US. TickTick team says that some of them are in China, some in the US, and that the non-Chinese data is stored on AWS servers in the US. This is all fine and dandy, however if their management or the key members of their team with access to user data are located in China, the physical locations of servers don't mean squat. It's extremely easy to apply pressure to someone in a country like China, especially if this someone is a Chinese citizen or has Chinese citizen relatives / girlfriend / friends.

This is probably not a big deal if you are using it for personal tasks. Nobody cares that your credit card bill is due on Friday. But work-related tasks have far too much project data.

When you say some of them are in China, do you mean Hong Kong? If so please say that, rather than China (or Hong Kong, China, if you feel the need).

Also, as far as I know, they said that they formed while in the US (studying I think) then moved back to Hong Kong.

I used to use TickTick a lot and interacted with them from time to time and I don't remember them saying that some of them were in China.

Regarding data, I believe that they run two different systems; one for Mainland Chinese users, which would have data stored in China and one for everybody else, which has data stored on AWS in the USA. With all systems managed from Hong Kong.

1) They are indeed located in Hong Kong but someone found out some time ago that the person whose name the domain was registered to had a mainland address. See the first review here:

https://alternativeto.net/software/ticktick/reviews/

“ Ticktick.com was registered by a Damon Woo of Xihu Street, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, 310007, China.
His email address is [email protected]. (You can also find his phone number... and a whole bunch of other details.)”

Now, they’ve since changed the registration to what looks like some US intermediary company, but it’s clear that someone at TT lived in mainland China, or at least had an address there. And when I first read about this and checked for myself, about two years ago, it was still the same address.

2) This doesn’t really matter anyway because HK autonomy is quickly eroding and a small HK company will not have much leverage if the mainland authorities or criminals or a large corporation become interested in the data they have access to.

3) This is why the location of servers doesn’t mean much from data security perspective if the key people who can access them are located in a less secure place.

And this is why I just can’t trust them with my organization data. We are dealing with lots of somewhat sensitive projects (from business and technological perspective) across many industries and I just don’t want to have to self-censor every task and every note.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2019.
Ummagumma

Posted Dec 12, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Over a year ago, probably in 2017, when I first started looking at TickTick, someone posted the address of the person who owned the domain, and it was in mainland China. I can probably still find the information.

I just checked, and now it's registered through some company in the US. TickTick team says that some of them are in China, some in the US, and that the non-Chinese data is stored on AWS servers in the US. This is all fine and dandy, however if their management or the key members of their team with access to user data are located in China, the physical locations of servers don't mean squat. It's extremely easy to apply pressure to someone in a country like China, especially if this someone is a Chinese citizen or has Chinese citizen relatives / girlfriend / friends.

This is probably not a big deal if you are using it for personal tasks. Nobody cares that your credit card bill is due on Friday. But work-related tasks have far too much project data.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2019.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next