ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Mar 01, 2010 in: Translators Needed
Score: 1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Mar 01, 2010
  • Score: 1
@Transisto: Why don't you want the translations done before the other upgrades? From the sounds of it, Toodledo is relying on crowd-sourcing to do the bulk of the translation and proofreading, so it's not like this project is a distraction from the upgrades.

As a native English speaker, I have nothing to gain from the translations, but I think this is a fantastic way for Toodledo to meet the needs of many different users all at the same time!
Linden

Posted Mar 01, 2010 in: Starting over?
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Mar 01, 2010
  • Score: 0
I fall off the wagon regularly! I think it happens to a lot of us as we pick up the system.

When it happens to me, I try to pick up from where I am and polish the rough edges back to proper form. It's too easy to spend all of your time redeveloping the system.

First, I sit down and try to identify WHY I lost my way. Is there a part of my system that's complicated to use? Have I mis-defined some contexts? Am I assigning due dates to things that don't really have them? Do I need to make additional (or fewer) folder distinctions?

For reference, I use folders for rough areas of responsibility: work, chores, freelance projects/volunteering, socializing, finances, personal (non-social) stuff. Originally it was just work/personal/chores, but I found that important categories were getting ignored in the HUGE jumble of personal projects.

Once I've identified why I got lost, I quickly sketch out what tweak can address it. That can be adding or collapsing folders/contexts, re-educating myself on how to use due dates, or simply finding a new routine for clearing my inbox.

From the sketch, I can use custom searches in Toodledo to bring up tasks that are affected by the change, so I don't have to reset EVERYTHING.

Once those structural changes are done, I'll try to book a "weekly review" as soon as possible. I sit down, turn off all my filters, an open the "Folders" or "Goals" view to see all tasks. I work my way down the list, divider by divider, checking in with myself:
* Is this still relevant -- can I just delete it?
* Is it still a next action, or is it more of a "someday" item? (Or the reverse -- should this "someday" be a "next action"?)
* Do I have this assigned to the correct folder/context?
* Have I correctly identified the next action? Is there a step I'm missing that's causing me to procrastinate?
* Does this need a due date or start date?

As new things come to mind, I enter them right away, on the same page.

Inevitably, something will need tweaking again in the future. I'm constantly learning about GTD and constantly learning new things about how I work, so my system needs to grow with that new knowledge. But each time I work through this process, things get a little more efficient.

I hope this is helpful!

Is anyone else having the same problem I have with weekly reviews? They're weekly for a month or so, and then slowly become 1.5 weekly, biweekly, and "whenever" reviews. Any tips for maintaining the weekly reviews for longer stretches?
Linden

Posted Feb 26, 2010 in: Repeated item with different notes
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2010
Repeated todos carry the same note with them as you complete each one.

If you're looking for "Monday's note", "Tuesday's note", and so on, you could set up 7 weekly-repeating items, each with a separate note.
Linden

Posted Feb 26, 2010 in: All lists open collapsed?
Score: 2
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2010
  • Score: 2
If you click the "Open Dividers" option it will remember this default for you. (I can't recall whether it remembers your selection for the whole site, or per view.)

That link is always visible in the same line as the "Show Notes", "Customize", and "Print" options.

Cheers!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Feb 22, 2010
Hi uarnold,

When you're entering the due date part of your search, choose "in the next" from the dropdown beside it. That will allow you to enter a number of days, instead of a concrete date.

Cheers!
Linden

Score: 1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 19, 2010
  • Score: 1
Maybe a Show/Hide Empty Dividers option? Off by default, but available for situations like this?
Linden

Posted Feb 16, 2010 in: Reorder tasks?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 16, 2010
You can use the "sort" to change how tasks are ordered. The sort will be remembered for each view. (But different tabs in that view all share the same sort order.)

Manual sorting of tasks is only possible for subtasks, which requires a Pro account.
Linden

Posted Feb 16, 2010 in: Adding a time to a todo task
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 16, 2010
I can't comment about most of this, since I don't have an iPhone, but the 1-hour reminder time is the default for free accounts. You can customize this to 15-minute increments with a Pro account.

Cheers!
Linden

Posted Feb 15, 2010 in: "Edit" link?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 15, 2010
If you need fields that aren't displayed, go to "Account Settings" and edit the "Fields/Functions used" section.

There isn't currently any way to edit fields that aren't enabled in your account, although I believe it is on Toodledo's development list.
Linden

Posted Feb 11, 2010 in: To show or not to show
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 11, 2010
Proximo, this is even better than a suggestion I made a while back.

I was looking for a way to be able to hide columns for viewing task while still allowing them to be used when creating a task or sorting data.

Your suggestion provides all of that functionality, with a tidier interface!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Feb 10, 2010
I really like this "Started" tab -- nice idea!
Linden

Posted Feb 08, 2010 in: RSS Feeds for all forums
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 08, 2010
You're welcome, Peter! I remember when the feature was released in the forum, and I happen to use this shortcut all the time.

There doesn't seem to be any info on the site explaining how this works, though. It might be a good thing for the help pages, or even just a single tip line at the top of the forums.
Linden

Posted Feb 08, 2010 in: RSS Feeds for all forums
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 08, 2010
RSS is a good idea.

The "go to first unread post" feature is already implemented on the forums themselves. Click the red page icon to jump to the first unread post in the thread.
Linden

Posted Feb 07, 2010 in: Clear a tag
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 07, 2010
Hi John, if your cursor is in the tags field, you can hit CTRL-A to highlight the entire contents and then press Delete to clear them.
Linden

Posted Feb 07, 2010 in: Filtering optional tasks
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 07, 2010
I don't use priority right now, and would prefer not to add yet another column (I already need to zoom my page out to see everything), but this is worth considering as a temporary solution. Thanks!
Linden

Posted Feb 04, 2010 in: Filtering optional tasks
  • Linden
  • Posted: Feb 04, 2010
You're welcome. Thanks for considering it. :)
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Feb 03, 2010
Hmm. It sounds to me like it would be smart to invalidate all login cookies when the password is updated.

Maybe there's an easier way, though...
Linden

Posted Feb 03, 2010 in: Goal Hierarchy
  • Linden
There isn't any way to do this, but it's a great idea!

The linking is done so that tasks you complete which are linked to your short-term goal are also credited toward moving the long-term and lifetime goals that are linked to that short-term goal.

This is used for both the completed task count and the chains tracking.
Linden

Posted Feb 03, 2010 in: Filtering optional tasks
  • Linden
Is there any way to filter out tasks based on how their due date is modified?

I'd like to be able to make a list of tasks due today (or overdue) where the date is not optional.

I have a lot of optional repeating tasks, where the world really won't come to an end if the due date isn't met. In any other circumstance, I'd only list a start date, but then I can't have them repeat on their own, like they do if the due date is optional.

So, I guess if filtering based on due date modifiers isn't possible, it would be nice to set up repeating optional tasks based off the start date, so they don't distract me from the tasks which are vitally due today.
Linden

Posted Jan 29, 2010 in: Filter drop-down field is too small
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 29, 2010
Peter, you've thrown a brick of wisdom at me!

I have more columns active than I can see in one screen width. AND I'm aware of FireFox's zoom feature -- frequently using it on other sites.

Never ONCE did I think of using it here.

So, thanks for mentioning this. I'll certainly back up your request, since I'm now about to be affected by the same problem. :)
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next