ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by eykanal"
eykanal

Posted Jun 22, 2010 in: representing for multiday todos
Score: 0
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Jun 22, 2010
  • Score: 0
@Peter: Yeah, that would work, but checking it off is kind of a workaround, since it's not really done.

@Toodledo: That gets cumbersome when the task should be a daily task every day for three weeks (which I'm sure you've encountered with certain programming tasks; sometimes one item can take a while to do).

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010.
eykanal

Score: 1
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2010
  • Score: 1
At the top of the todo list page, there should be a lunch of links listing the different views you may have. Among those should be "Tag". Click on that and a number of tabs will show up, one for each tag. The very last tab will be labeled "No Tag"; those contain all the untagged items.
eykanal

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: How to Schedule Reccuring Chores?
  • eykanal
1) Make the new task
2) Set "Due by:" to the next time it will be due (i.e., two weeks from sunday, if you vacuumed yesterday)
3) Click "Repeat:", click "Advanced options", type "every 2nd sunday". You probably want to have it "Repeat from completion date"; after you vacuum, you're not going to need to do it again for another two weeks, even if you did go a month without vacuuming.

Congrats! You've now set up the repeating task.

To make it not show up until it's due, you want to use the "hide future tasks" setting. I don't know how this works in Firefox, but on the iPhone, when you're in the task list view, there's a little text at the top of the list which says "Hidden tasks: 0". Touch that and you'll get the "filter" options. You want to "hide future tasks". You can define what the "future" is in the preferences (I know its there in the website preferences, and I think it's there in the phone preferences, but I'm not positive).
eykanal

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: Booklet and non Eng.
  • eykanal
Read their statement about timelines. They're a small company; they allocate resources very judiciously.
eykanal

Score: -1
  • eykanal
  • Score: -1
I think this would be a bad idea.

1) Adding lots of underlines everywhere makes for a very messy visual interface. Even more so, given that only a smallish subset of users actually uses the keyboard shortcuts, it would be making a mess which only benefits some users.

Some programs, like Microsoft Office, handle this by only underlining the shortcut letter when the user presses "alt". However, if you're going to require user interaction, then we're no better off than when the user had to hit "?".

2) The information is already available via the "?" command, as well as in the help docs. If you really use it regularly, you'll quickly learn the relevant shortcuts. This change would only be relevant to the people who are new to using the shortcuts, which is an even smaller percentage of people than those listed in (1) (since many of those in 1 already know them and don't need reminders).

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010.
eykanal

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: representing for multiday todos
  • eykanal
I have a number of items on my todo list where the to-do will take longer than a day - fix up some presentation, prepare a section of a manuscript, etc. While each of these items DOES have a "due by" date (e.g., day of presentation, day for manuscript submission, etc), I'd like to have these show up on my daily list every day for a little while until I complete it.

As of now, toodledo doesn't have a way for having the item show up on the hotlist for a while and then be due at the final date. The one way I thought this would be feasible is to add a drop-down in the "due date and time" box, named "display <X> days before". The "X" would default to 0, meaning that the item would show up as "today's" to-do on the day it was due. However, if I wanted, I could set it to show up 14 days before it was due, and then it would appear on my to-do list as a "today" item every day for the 14 days leading up to the due date. You could even still have it listed as "due on <correct due date>", but this way it would still show up as a "today" thing.

That's my idea. This prevents something which you need to work on, but isn't due yet, not showing up on your todo list. This isn't an easy or intuitive thing to deal with, but its a common situation. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

p.s. - some folks may say "well, just add more tasks and break it up into more chunks until each chunk is one day's worth of tasks." My response is that not every task leads to being broken up in day-tasks. For example, I could have one task "write the first ten slides" and then another task "write the next ten slides", but that's neither useful nor a good use of my time... I'd spend all day writing to-dos. A todo list (for me, at least) is a reminder... if a very general reminder is all I need, then I don't want to have to make a lot of specific reminders just because my task manager requires it.
eykanal

Posted Jun 14, 2010 in: Toodledo for iPad / iPhone version 2.0
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Jun 14, 2010
Thanks a bunch for the notebook addition! Its a very welcome feature.

Some initial thoughts after briefly using it:
- The (default?) font size used to show note titles is too small. From a purely visual comparison, it looks smaller than the font size used for the to-do list.
- The black bar on the bottom is a good idea! I think it could be made even better so that it only is ALWAYS visible on the "main screen"; i.e., the top level views. Once I'm in the task view, I'd rather have the screen used to display my task than to give me a choice to go back to the notebook or settings.
- When viewing a note, the current method used to show title and folder are odd, at best. The way you to it in the "task details" view, with a small-font blue-colored text used to show the field name and larger black text to show the field value, seems to me a better way to go about that.
- I'm not sure why you still use 15 or 20 pixels to display the "added" and "last modified" info when viewing a note (or a to-do item, for that matter). That's useful screen real estate; put that as another cell, at the bottom of the view... people can scroll down to see it if they need it.
- Since you don't have rich text editing for your notes online, I personally have used basic HTML in my notes to make basic headers and stuff. This makes some sense online when "viewing" and "editing" are two different views, but on the iPod where it's all one view I just see raw HTML. I'm not sure how you should handle that.
- I'm missing the "sync" button from the main taskbar. I know it's still there in the "settings" menu, but you didn't list that in the ChangeLog, and I use that button regularly to force updates (such as after I make a change when not in connected to a wireless network, which is pretty often).

All in all, though, a good addition. Thanks!
eykanal

Posted Jun 08, 2010 in: New action button and moving note icons
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Jun 08, 2010
Regarding item 2, I think its once again time to reiterate the "please hire a UI designer" motif. Its a good and well-intentioned idea, but it generates a tremendous amount of visual cruft, and there are certainly better ways that it can be implemented.

Instead of giving my two cents as to HOW to fix it, I'll just stick with the "hire a good UI guy and make him fix it" idea.
eykanal

Posted May 03, 2010 in: Staying logged in on the website
  • eykanal
  • Posted: May 03, 2010
For those of you who consider this a security issue, I'd just like to mirror my post here and point out that many high-profile websites (such as gmail, facebook, nytimes, twitter, and others) follow this logging-in model. In order to log out of gmail, you need to click "log out." The assumption is that your computer is secured via your login password. If your login password is not secure, update that first, then worry about your cloud-based services.

This message was edited May 03, 2010.
eykanal

Posted Apr 20, 2010 in: displaying only first subtask in a list
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2010
This is an oft-requested feature, and toodledo has assured us that it will come one day. However, as they are always quick to remind us, they won't comment on when they will release a new feature.
eykanal

Posted Apr 20, 2010 in: Importance Level
  • eykanal
Just to clarify... "importance" isn't something YOU set, it's something Toodledo tries to determine for you by looking at (1) Priority, (2) whether it's starred or not, and (3) due date. If you use those features, it may be a useful tool for you. If not, it won't.
eykanal

Posted Apr 20, 2010 in: Bookmarklet
Score: -1
  • eykanal
  • Score: -1
The easiest way to do this is to link to the bulk add page. There are instructions on that page as to how to use it... it's pretty simple. Since you can use it to add a single task as well, it seems like that fits your bill pretty well.
eykanal

Posted Apr 19, 2010 in: Firefox plugin Sign Out problem
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 19, 2010
Posted by clark:
I find this to be a problem as well. Meaning once I sign in to Toodledo on FF it NEVER asks for a password again. I can shut the PC down and when I get back up and type in the URL, I'm signed in again. I use Toodledo daily and do NOT want to remain signed in on my work PC, like this. Anyone at work can then access my account.

"remembering to signout" is not what i'd expect from a fee based service such as yours.

...except that this is standard practice for many websites. Ever used gmail.com? It has the same mechanic. So does facebook, myspace, twitter, and many other web-based mail services, news sites, online forums, social networking sites, etc. If you don't like this sort of behavior, you can just log out after each use... the link to log out is conveniently placed on all pages. If that's too much work, you can disable cookies in your browser. Note that disabling cookies may have other unintended consequences.
eykanal

Posted Apr 15, 2010 in: "esc" should function as "cancel"
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2010
Heh... I was trying to think of other places where it may work when I wrote that "...?" bit, because I was pretty sure I remembered a few places where it does act correctly.

My main beef is that if I've hit the "make a new task" shortcut ("n") and then decide I don't actually want to add a new task, I currently can't use the keyboard to switch views... I have to first use the mouse to click the "cancel" button. If the escape was mapped correctly here, it would save clicks.

Heck, in this vein, the "esc" key should be mapped on all pages - in absence of any other command - to blur focus from any item on the page, be it textbox, link, or whatever, so that I can continue to use the keyboard to navigate the site.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010.
eykanal

• eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 14, 2010
As it is now, the sidebar (the thing with "Toodledo" at the top, and the links of all site locations) can be hidden and shown using the little toggle. (Yay, hotlinking!) I would love to see a keyboard shortcut for toggling it's presence. This is low priority, but still, that would be neat.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2010.
eykanal

Posted Apr 14, 2010 in: "esc" should function as "cancel"
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 14, 2010
The keyboard shortcuts are, for me, one of the most useful features of this website. Its what enables me to enter a new to-do in less than five seconds, which is exactly what I want from a task manager program.

I want to propose an extension to the site, which is probably already planned. The "esc" button currently doesn't seem to be mapped to much, if anything. I suggest that it be mapped to the "cancel" functionality in all cases where appropriate, including the following places:

- the "new task" form (shown after clicking the "add task" button in the to-do view)
- the quicksearch bar
- the notebook view, when a note is shown
- ...?

Note that I don't think it should be used to close the "sort", "collaborators", and "filter" bars, since those are "close", not "cancel", and having those present doesn't detract from the page functionality. The other stuff, though, takes over the keyboard and makes it so keyboard commands don't work, hence setting up "esc" as an escape (ha ha) would solve that problem.
eykanal

• eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 12, 2010
Howdy! I was going to sign my wife up for the service, and I noticed that the message displayed to new users on the signup page (http://www.toodledo.com/signup.php) reads as follows:

"We hate spam just as much as you do and we pledge to never ever give your email address to anyone. The only reason we ask for it is so we can help if you forget your password."

This isn't technically true anymore, since you also use the email address to send reminders, and as an identifier when new tasks are emailed in (if the user has set that up). Just a quick note that you may want to update that part of the site. Thanks!
eykanal

Posted Apr 02, 2010 in: 1 minute reminders
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2010
Thanks a ton! See my post in the thread about the iPhone app update for a heaping helping of accolades for listening to user feedback. That sentiment is echoed here! Thanks!
eykanal

Posted Apr 02, 2010 in: Toodledo for iPad / iPhone
  • eykanal
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2010
Thanks for the update! I love seeing popular ideas get implemented quickly; I realize you have your own timeline for features, but this makes us users feel like our feedback really does count. Thanks again!

One small note... it seems that, by default, the list dividers are set to "off" in the settings tab - at least, that was how it was for me after I downloaded the update and launched the app. I assume this was intentional (for whatever reason... I personally think it should be on by default, but it isn't my app), but I just wanted to make sure you're aware of it.
eykanal

• eykanal
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2010
You may also want to look into enabling keyboard shortcuts. Depending on your style of computing (mouse-heavy vs. keyboard-heavy usage), you can save a ton of time with those shortcuts. I use shortcuts and for me to enter a new to-do, it's the following steps:

1) hit "n"
2) type the to-do
3) tab, type date (e.g., "mon", "3/28", "tomorrow")
4) tab, tab, enter

While the number of "tabs" you hit will depend on how many columns you have visible, this is a ridiculously quick way to enter new tasks. It takes me about five seconds to enter a new to-do, and most of that is spent typing out the actual to-do name.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next