Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Apr 01, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2012
  • Score: 0
Posted by cabbage:
I'd be interested to hear what fields you use in your simple system.

Hi cabbage.

The fields I use are:
- Task name
- Due date
- Context
- Tag
- Note

I also use the Star & Repeat fields although don't really consider them data fields. And the Due Date and Note fields are only used when needed so typically most tasks only need a name, a context and a tag.

Folders:
- Next
- Waiting for
- Someday

Contexts:
- @anywhere
- @work
- @home
- @errands

Tags:
- business
- personal

I use the Tag field solely to give me a simple way to switch between my two areas of focus. I used to have contexts for @phone and @online but combined them into @anywhere because my iPhone is with me all the time.

BTW I'm using Appigo's Todo Online system now. I switched from Toodledo a month or two ago. I was already using their iPhone app to sync with Toodledo and found that their project handling is more robust and their interface simpler and easier to use.

Todo Online (thankfully) has a proper Inbox (better than using Toodledo's 'No Folder') and it's displayed in the main menu navigation. While this seems a small thing, it's so important in terms of GTD to have an always visible inbox with count indicator. Todo Online also has a 'Focus' list similar to Toodledo's Hotlist. I spend much of my 'doing' time working from this list.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 01, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2012
  • Score: 1
Thanks for the link Dave - I remember reading that post and it was good to revisit it.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 31, 2012 in: How do I reorder subtasks?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2012
Go into your settings and click 'Edit' on the Subtasks option.

Or just click here: http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=19

Then select: Sort nested subtasks manually by drag and drop.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 31, 2012 in: LOCATION / MAP FEATURE?????
  • PeterW 
You will need to turn on the Location field in your account settings first. Then you will find the Locations task view.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 31, 2012 in: iPhone Fields & Defaults
Score: 2
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 2
Posted by 1973westgray:
On the iPhone under Field and Defaults I see "Unused Fields". Is there anyway to access and use these on the iPhone version of Toodledo?

Yes, just drag them up into the list of fields used.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 30, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 30, 2012
This is my 1,000th post in the forums so I thought I'd contribute something positive to the community.

Keeping a personal productivity system as simple as you can make it will pay dividends in terms of productivity. There is a temptation to use every field and every bell and whistle in an app. It doesn't help.

Discuss.

p.s. I posted a very long message about my progress with personal productivity system but decided to keep it simple and edited it down to this!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 27, 2012 in: Prnting out a to do list from Toodledo
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 27, 2012
Another way around this is to use a screen capture program.

SnagIt is a good one that I use daily for all sorts of purposes. Works on both Windows and Mac.

www.techsmith.com
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Your view must be sorted by 'date added'. Change your sort to something else (e.g. due date) and this field will disappear.

If you want to see date added for any task, simply hover you mouse pointer over the completed checkbox field. A small popup will display the date the task was added.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 27, 2012 in: Timer in mobile apps
  • PeterW 
I want to say that this is not the place to advertise your products.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2012
Posted by Salgud:
You can't educate me because I believe that knowing what your customers want is not a function of how many employees you have. It's something every business person needs to know, and can't be delegated. You have a lot of "book larnin'", but not much common sense.

As far as the teaching part goes, I've taught hundreds of classes to thousands of students successfully, and if I know anything at all about teaching, it's that arrogance is a very bad start. Not all that good as a finish either, as you have so aptly demonstrated.

I hope you're not unwell Salgud because you're last few posts contain some of the most confused and illogical thoughts I've ever witnessed (not to mention one of the clearest examples of irony in the quote above).
PeterW 

Posted Mar 24, 2012 in: Toodledo for MAC
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2012
I don't know if Toodledo will create a Mac client. I've not heard it ever mentioned here in the forums. I think their focus is web, iOS and probably Android at some point in the future.

You are correct that Appigo's products don't have all of Toodledo's fields. I don't use them all so it always worked OK for me.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 24, 2012 in: Toodledo for MAC
  • PeterW 
Appigo have a desktop app for the Mac that syncs with Toodledo:
http://www.appigo.com/todo/mac

There is a 14-day trial available.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
@Purveyor - your posts in this thread have been insightful, eloquent and entertaining.

@Salgud -
None of the above changes the fact that you, and others, are telling a man with a very successful business that he is an idiot, and you know how to run his business far better than he. We do agree on one thing, at least. That I'm fascinating! :)

You have missed your calling, sir. You would have made a great "shock jock" on the radio.
PeterW 

Score: 6
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 6
@wksims86 - either you've not read Dave Allen's GTD book or you've not understood it.

1. Contexts - I disagree that the importance or relevancy of contexts has declined because of the advance of technology. They're still relevant. Perhaps they're different for some than they were but in the main, context is still important. The fact that I have my iPhone in the boardroom doesn't mean that I should be making phone calls, surfing the net, writing emails, etc. And in any case GTD doesn't propose that you have to use contexts. It's just one tool that can be used if needed.

2. Calendars - there's nothing in Dave Allen's book that says you can't schedule work in your calendar. It recommends you don't put items on the calendar that are not time-specific or date-specific If I've planned to work on something on a specific day and at a specific time, then it does go on my calendar. GTD done properly doesn't lead to complex mental schedules.

3. Abandoning of the necessity of forethought - the GTD book is full of information about planning. And I don't see how you could reach the conclusion that it's built to be a reactionary, thought-free process. The book says otherwise.

Your example about someone whose sister gets cancer - GTD talks about the 6-level model (runway to 50,000 feet) and I'd suggest this example fits into Level 6 (50,000 feet) = life, the big picture. Most people's tasks fit into levels 1 and 2 and are the daily things we just have to do. I suspect many GTD'ers don't use their system for more than Levels 1-2 but even so, when life-changing things happen it doesn't remove the need to have a trusted system to help get stuff done. My sister had cancer and so did my best friend. Both were life-changing events. My sister recovered but my friend died a few months ago. This hasn't "broken" GTD for me - I still needed it and used it to keep daily life happening.

So I pretty much disagree (respectfully) with all you've postulated so far but I am looking forward to seeing what kind of system you've constructed for yourself.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
It is rare for a developer to spend this much time interacting with customers, and I think that this is one of Toodledo's strengths, but I can't spend 100% of my time doing it.

That's true in my experience. Maybe you need to get another assistant, like Anders used to do, to help with all the forum traffic.

Posted by Toodledo:
There went 15 minutes :)

Might be worthwhile pinning this response and adding a link to it in your canned responses.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 21, 2012 in: Folder disappears
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
You could change the style of alert in your iPhone settings.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
Posted by Salgud:
Anyone who pays attention to the replies from TD has figured out that when they say "it's on the list", it's on the list. When they say, "thanks, we'll give it some thought", probably not on the list. This is not all that hard to figure out.

But the comment "it's on the list" can be quite misleading. If you've been following the forums long enough you will work out that this is a stock reply, that the list is vast, and that having your request added to the list does not mean it will happen or that Toodledo has committed to it. It's just a list of requests & ideas for future consideration.

Unfortunately newer users probably take the comment literally and expect that their request has been accepted and will be implemented sometime soon. You can see this often by the responses, e.g. "great, looking forward to seeing this!".

So while you say that "this is not all that hard to figure out", the reality is that the meaning of "it's on the list" is not clear and is probably different for Toodledo than it is for most users.

I think it would be far better for Toodledo to say "thanks, we've added your request to our list for future consideration".
PeterW 

Posted Mar 20, 2012 in: SYNCING PROBLEMS WITH PI & TOODLEDO
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 20, 2012
Posted by dbasarab1:
How to force PI to overwrite tasks in Toodledo? (Consulted Toodledo support; advised to contact WebIs!??!!) Suggestions?

That's appropriate advice because the Toodledo website is not doing the syncing. Toodledo provides an interface so that other applications can access the data securely. If those apps don't sync correctly then you have to talk with their respective developers in order to get the problem fixed.

I don't know anything about PI for Android but I know that WebIS has support forums so maybe someone over there can help. Also check the app's settings to see if there is a diagnostic sync log that might display useful information.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 19, 2012 in: syncronizing with outlook
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2012
The issue is that Toodledo does not provide any options to sync with Outlook - they are all third-party solutions. The free solution is no longer available, hence your problem of needing to pay for one.

Toodledo may be willing to refund your purchase - perhaps best to raise a support ticket to state your case. And you could then purchase Appigo Todo which syncs with the Toodledo website and use their Outlook sync program which is free. Just note that Appigo's Todo does not support all Toodledo fields and features (e.g. location, goals, start date) but it does sync reliably with Toodledo.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 18, 2012 in: Sync with Outlook 2011 Mac?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2012
Posted by ksignorini:
Is there any way to simply sync Toodledo with Outlook 2011 Mac?

Don't know if it's simple but Appigo has a sync module to use with their Todo app for iPhone which can sync with Toodledo. So it probably requires a two-step sync but I don't know for sure. But at least it's free.

Details here:
http://www.appigo.com/appigo-sync

What's New in Appigo Sync for Mac 2.0?
• Now uses CalendarStore API to sync tasks directly into iCal
• Support for recently-updated MobileMe tasks
• Toodledo module is now free
• Other minor fixes
• How to transition from the old Appigo Sync 1.2.2 to new Appigo Sync Beta 2.0

Appigo Sync for Mac Requirements:
• Appigo Todo 3.2 or greater on your iPhone / iPod touch
• Wi-Fi network connecting iPhone / iPod touch with your desktop computer
• Synchronization via the USB cable is NOT supported. Hence the Wi-Fi requirement.
• Mac OS X version 10.6.6 or later

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next