ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 30, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 1
Peter, the "Lists" in RTM look to be the parallel for folders (or projects). As far as number of tasks, on a screen, I am getting 16 to a screen on RTM. On Toodledo, I get 28, so that is big difference if that is a consideration.

Posted by Peter Scott:
I am a heavy GTD user and there are attributes in Toodledo I don't find in RTM. Context and Goal as you say, but also Folder, since both systems have tags. I use Folder for task size, ranging from Next Action through Project and higher. I use Context for review schedule, ranging from Weekly through Yearly. My GTD workflow is a series of 9 custom searches to go through and the periodic review is clicking on the appropriate Context. I also use Goal and Location. I get that tags could be used for what I'm doing with Folder and Context, but it shifts some discipline onto the user that is critical, especially when collaborating with people not as power user as myself.

I also appreciate how dense the display on Toodledo is. With > 2000 active tasks I am often scrolling through long lists to perform a review, when I need to get a big picture and drag tasks to subtasks, and many systems take up so much space that you could only see a handful on the screen at a time.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 30, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 0
Please keep us posted on the your progress with importing into RTM from Toodledo.
I used to use the Ultimate To-Do list before Toodledo had its own Android app. I worked very well and was pretty customizable (on such things as search). My understanding is starting in January, it would required a paid plan since that is a 3rd-party app.

Posted by shelbyp:
I just tested the beta channel in RTM and importing the TD export failed, I contacted their support to see if they can assist else I will try the email import proposed above. Will provide feedback if I get it to work! I am hoping to set up a backup plan for a year with RTM or something else since I have a TD subscription until end of 2019. I will see where TD is in the next few months and where it is going.

For my Android Sync issues I have been testing Ultimate-Todo list which interfaces well with TD. Sync is reliable and has many, many features and is also in active development. Other users have suggested this. The TD mobile website is too unreliable and still not a finished product in my opinion and neither are the IPhone or Android native Apps (I used both extensivley). PRoviding the API was a good move by TD to allow 3rd party development and it is nice to see some powerful Android apps which leverage this.

Given the power of Ultimate_todo list, TD may not need their own app, although this does provide some safety for the users of course.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I had already moved my data over before getting the information on import. I have a friend who is a heavy RTM user and has a dummy Toodledo account. He was going to test the import.

RTM gives you 2 email addresses. One is a bulk import that allows you to import 50 tasks at a time. I exported Toodledo to CSV (very easy). I found I had to copy/paste the 50 to just a note, and then copy/paste the 50 into an email. I can go into more detail about how I handled dates, task notes, and repeats if you want to contact me offline Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org

Posted by marcelmooij:
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Hi DrFrank, I tried the import from current.csv but I got an error-message: "sorry this file doesn't contain valid task data"... Did you manage to import it into RTM? I switched to beta and have a free account at the moment.

A number of people have talked about Remember the Milk as a possible alternative. There is an import from Toodledo, but it's not obvious. In the RTM account settings, you will see an "Import" link, but the only option is "Wunderlist."

Here is how to access an import for Toodledo (Instructions coming from RTM):

You can switch to the beta channel in the app's Account Settings, in the General section.
You can import in the Import section, and while we don't yet have specific documentation for Toodledo, you can find some details about the process here: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import

Hope this helps those who want to take RTM for a test drive with their full compliment of data.

I would be interested in how well the import works for others.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 27, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Glad to help. Sounds like you had done the due diligence and have a good plan that's going to work for you.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Thanks. For now I think I will stick with GoodTask and Outlook, it does everything that I need (well, subtasks suck somewhat, but I didn’t use them much anyway), it’s already been paid for once and for all, I can sync my work tasks directly with it via exchange without installing any 3rd party sync software and keep our IT happy, and it has a couple nice tricks up its sleeve to speed up task entry and editing. And it works directly with / on top of Reminders, which opens up some additional functionality.

But RTM is now the clear fallback solution if, for whatever reason, I am no longer satisfied with that combo (or, the hell freezes over and I go back to Android).

Seeing that RTM now has all that functionality (that it lacked when I first looked at it years ago), and Todoist has all kinds of bells and whistles for anyone who doesn’t use Start dates, and both are significantly cheaper than Toodledo now... I think the new owners are committing service suicide. I really hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
The saved search feature is pretty robust, even in the free plan, you I think you are going to find what you need. There is an import if you want to pull in all your data and put RTM through its paces. I just posted in another thread how to get to the import (because it's not obvious). Good luck. Keep me posted on what you're finding.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 27, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
The saved search feature is pretty robust, even in the free plan, you I think you are going to find what you need. There is an import if you want to pull in all your data and put RTM through its paces. I just posted in another thread how to get to the import (because it's not obvious). Good luck. Keep me posted on what you're finding.

Posted by Ummagumma:
I work with two types of views - Master view (all tasks, sorted by due date or Priority- Due) and Focus view - tasks that are started, due, or Top priority (starred if there’s that option).

It’s that Focus view that is hard to get with many other services. I want tasks hidden until their start date, then automatically show up in Focus view without any extra work on my part. That way I can have dozens or even hundreds of tasks, hidden out of sight, while knowing that they will show up in my Focus view when needed. Using the Due date for this is possible, but how do I then track the actual deadlines ?

I also want a way to manually place tasks in Focus without changing their due dates.

Well, RTM clearly supports all of it. What’s more, it has a pretty full featured free option. So full featured, in fact, that it’s probably more than enough for most people. And their Outlook sync works great, as a part of Pro option. To me, it’s a no-brainer. Even at $40 per year, it’s still a far better value - with an excellent mobile client, Outlook sync, Watch app, and still cheaper than Toodledo. Honestly, if a year ago I checked RTM out, I’d likely switched back then. It would still be only $10 more than the old Toodledo Gold. My only dilemma now is, do I switch over or keep using Outlook & GoodTask, that combo works well for me and is essentially free. I’m afraid that at this price point, given all of its limitations, and compared to alternatives, Toodledo just doesn’t make sense to me anymore.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
In Toodledo, my sort was Due Date then Priority, then Star.
To get the same thing un Remember the Milk, I use the "This Week View. That gives me a first sort by due date. I select "Priority" as the sort, which in effect gives a secondary sort by due date. From there, switch the sort to "Drag and Drop" to further organize the tasks within that priority.

Posted by Ummagumma:
I looked at RTM, the multiple sort columns are likely a “pro” feature, as is unfortunately the Watch app - hard for me to evaluate the service without it.

It certainly supports the Start date, advanced filtering, website access, and has an Outlook sync program available as part of the Pro subscription, which is very interesting.

About the only missing functionality I can find (that I use) is the ability to set an item alarm independent of due date - i.e. I can set it to xx days before but not to a specific day/time. It’s no biggie, though.

Their Pro service is $40 per year, and their Free service is surprisingly well featured. Not sure if I want to switch yet again, the combination of Outlook and Good Task is working very well for me, but RTM is definitely a good alternative,

Posted by Robert_HOME:
Took a quick look - RtM would be a workable backup alternative if I need one - missing a few things like multiple sort columns (unless that's in a premium level), and probably a few other things. But would have enough functionality to work with.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Robert,

Take a look at Remember the Milk. It has a start date and I believe has what you need to support Master Your Now.

Posted by Robert_HOME:
For me.... no alternative at the moment.

Toodledo has specific configuration support for the MYN system, e.g. Start Date, and supporting documents and training material over at MYN site. ToDoist does not support that at all, so doesn't work for me.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Just a simple question to Aaron.

Todoist is, arguably, the leading brand in the field that Toodledo competes in. Toodledo is regarded by most reviews as a middle-of-the pack at best.

Todoist has a single premium tier at $30 a year.

Toodledo now has premium tiers ranging from $60 to $90 a year.

Why do you think the customers would want to pay 2 to 3 times more for a lesser known service ? What is that one single selling point ?

I am a big fan of Toodledo, but even I can’t see it.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 27, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 4
A number of people have talked about Remember the Milk as a possible alternative. There is an import from Toodledo, but it's not obvious. In the RTM account settings, you will see an "Import" link, but the only option is "Wunderlist."

Here is how to access an import for Toodledo (Instructions coming from RTM):

You can switch to the beta channel in the app's Account Settings, in the General section.
You can import in the Import section, and while we don't yet have specific documentation for Toodledo, you can find some details about the process here: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import

Hope this helps those who want to take RTM for a test drive with their full compliment of data.

I would be interested in how well the import works for others.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 26, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
In Toodledo, my sort was Due Date then Priority, then Star.
To get the same thing un Remember the Milk, I use the "This Week View. That gives me a first sort by due date. I select "Priority" as the sort, which in effect gives a secondary sort by due date. From there, switch the sort to "Drag and Drop" to further organize the tasks within that priority.

Posted by Ummagumma:
I looked at RTM, the multiple sort columns are likely a “pro” feature, as is unfortunately the Watch app - hard for me to evaluate the service without it.

It certainly supports the Start date, advanced filtering, website access, and has an Outlook sync program available as part of the Pro subscription, which is very interesting.

About the only missing functionality I can find (that I use) is the ability to set an item alarm independent of due date - i.e. I can set it to xx days before but not to a specific day/time. It’s no biggie, though.

Their Pro service is $40 per year, and their Free service is surprisingly well featured. Not sure if I want to switch yet again, the combination of Outlook and Good Task is working very well for me, but RTM is definitely a good alternative,

Posted by Robert_HOME:
Took a quick look - RtM would be a workable backup alternative if I need one - missing a few things like multiple sort columns (unless that's in a premium level), and probably a few other things. But would have enough functionality to work with.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Robert,

Take a look at Remember the Milk. It has a start date and I believe has what you need to support Master Your Now.

Posted by Robert_HOME:

Toodledo has specific configuration support for the MYN system, e.g. Start Date, and supporting documents and training material over at MYN site. ToDoist does not support that at all, so doesn't work for me.

Posted by Ummagumma:

Todoist is, arguably, the leading brand in the field that Toodledo competes in. Toodledo is regarded by most reviews as a middle-of-the pack at best.

Why do you think the customers would want to pay 2 to 3 times more for a lesser known service ? What is that one single selling point ?

DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I think you are on the money with RTM. I copied all of my Toodledo data into it and have really put it through its paces. I am impressed with the experience. The nicest little thing tat is a big thing is that overdue tasks automatically roll to the next day. I sort my list by due date first then priority. Yesterdays undone "Priority 2" tasks (for example), while retaining their original due date, sort themselves among the due today Priority 2 tasks. Since I teach productivity, being able to offer someone a free option as a starting point that is full-featured is important. RTM allows forwarding email to the program with the free plan. Even has collaboration in the free plan.

Posted by prusatomas:
It’s hard to say what is the best for everyone. But after a short seeking an alternative I’ve a few notes.

Google Tasks, Google Keep, Wunderlist
- A great deal for shopping list but not an adequate and full-feature alternative.

Todoist
- I like their design and motivating karma. It’s a frequent alternative with subtasks, filters (=saved searches), etc.
- But a lack of a start date, an advanced sorting feature, esp. sorting based on multiple criteria, and a lack of custom sorting options for filtered views is a complication for me.

Outlook
- A great tool on desktop that is integrated in eco-system of MS. I’ve an account from our university (corporate account) and I’d like to use it.
- But I miss subtasks and I can’t use it on my phone with Android. The official app Outlook from MS doesn’t have tasks. There are 3 other apps for Android:
-- To-Do from MS but it’s a simple app without advanced features, it synchronizes only some fields, subtasks are in To-Do not in Outlook and it has a problem with due dates when syncs with Outlook.
-- Tasks & Notes for MS Exchange but it doesn’t have implemented a support for corporate Exchange accounts which I have (http://www.uniqtec.eu/applications/notes-with-activesync.html).
-- Nine from 9folders but it syncs subtasks into note fields in Outlook and I can’d find saved searches or something similar.
- And there are other things like an impossibility to create a list of tasks on web (outlook.office365.com).
- If you use Apple, you can be happy with GoodTask (http://goodtaskapp.com/). I haven’t tested it.

TickTick
- This service is a really close to an adequate alternative – a modern design, a field with start date, smart lists (=saved searches), subtasks, etc.
- The problem is that I can’t see an advanced sorting feature based on multiple criteria combinations. Am I right?

RTM
- All in all, I consider RTM to be the best choice for my requirements, e.g. subtasks, advanced sorting, saved searches, start date, tags (also as replacement of folders), etc.

If I made a mistake in my search and notes, I apologize in advance.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Robert,

Posted by Robert_HOME:

Posted by Ummagumma:

DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 24, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
I have been saving completed tasks to a Google Sheet via IFTTT for a long time. IFTTT automatically creates its own folder and sheet. When it gets to 2,000 tasks, it automatically creates another sheet inside that folder. Works great.

Since IFTTT is a third-party, that capability goes away for the free plan.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by MM1772:
Posted by Ummagumma:
I don’t care about task history (I use Onenote for this)

Can you give me a short description of how you use OneNote for that? Maybe it's something I could try for the tasks I actually save.

If you want to keep a record of every task, just use IFTTT. At least, it works with Apple Reminders, perhaps with Toodledo as well. You can use it to automatically create a new page for every new task, or a new page for every completed task, with subject, notes, due date and completion date.

I however don't really care to save every completed task. I track projects, tasks are just temporary tools used in executing them. If I need to save the completion date, I'd write it down in the project page. Otherwise, good riddance.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 22, 2018 in: Future Plans
Nice stuff! Very helpful. I also like the idea of using plain text tags. When I was using a strict GTD format many years ago, I realized I didn't really need to create lists. All I needed to do was include keywords in the text of the task. If I make sure that when I enter a task that's going to be a phone call, I use the word "Call" somewhere in there ("Call Buford," etc.), then all I have to do is search for "Call" to see every phone call that needs to be made. By the same token, searching for "Buford" gives me all everything related to Buford: calls to make to him, things I have delegated to him, face-to-face agenda items, etc.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by dismukemail:

I have used it for years and have tried tweaking it any number of ways.

My main problem with it is visual - with Toodledo I can easily group like tasks by folder and see an essentialized view of all that is on my plate at a quick glance. I have yet to find an easy way to do that in Outlook.

I am not quite sure I understand what it is you're trying to do, as what I am thinking of is very easy.

Every list created in Reminders syncs as a folder in Outlook, and vs versa.

If I want to group items from all Personal folders, but filter out Work folders, I can do it very easily in Outlook using custom views, and in GoodTask on iOS using "Smart Lists" (saved filters, i.e. also custom views). Same with 2Do.

I have two types of custom views - Master and Focus. Master shows all tasks, and Focus shows tasks between start and due dates, overdue, or manually placed there (I use Top priority for this, but could use a special tag). Master All, Master Work, Master Personal, Focus All, Focus Work, Focus Personal. I have same views set up in Outlook and in GoodTask so I am using the same workflow on both platforms. If I am working with a large project, I may sometimes create a saved view pulling together all tasks for this project.

I absolutely dislike the color coded categories that is Outlook's default method that people always suggest that I use.

Agreed. I have long ago switched to plaintext tags. I put them at the end of task subject, but could also put them in notes section. That way, I can carry these tags across all of my devices and records and apps, and use custom filtering to create views based on them.

E.g.

Project finances presentation llFU - the tag llFU means "Follow Up", i.e. someone owes me information for this.

The beauty of this approach is that I can use it across all of my documents and apps - Onenote, email, spreadsheets - and use Windows indexing or Spotlight search to quickly find all related records with same tag. And adding tags can be automated on iOS via custom keyboard shortcuts, or on Windows via some freeware utilities. E.g. instead of typing llProj all I have to type is llp. (ll is purely arbitrary, any combination of letters would work as long as it's unique enough to avoid false search results).

It is possible to place Outlook tasks in folders. But there is no folder field in the task creation interface that lets one select a folder. There is a way to add in custom fields - but I don't have the skill to associate the self created field with any actual existing folder, assuming that there is a way to do it.

Yes there is folder selection in the new task creation dialog, at least in my version of the Outlook (2016). Go to File - Move to folder. Although it's easier to just click on the right folder when creating a task. At any rate, I prefer to keep the number of folders / lists to the minimum, and use tags instead - easier to clean up after the project is done.

To create a task and assign it to a folder one has to click on File, go to the properties/save screen and then click for a folder option drop down. That is very clunky - but I could live with that clunkiness after getting used to it over time. I can get all tasks to display with separate sections for each folder - but I cannot filter out those not due on the current day. If I go to the Today view, I can sort by folder - but it does not break out the folders into separate sections.

Well, actually filtering out all kinds of tasks is precisely what Outlook is great for. Just need to learn to use it.

E.g.to show only the tasks due today, incomplete:

View -> View settings -> Filter -> Advanced -> Field selector -> Frequently used task fields -> Due date on -> manually type "Today" (without parentheses)

Click "Add to list"

Then again,

View -> View settings -> Filter -> Advanced -> Field selector -> Frequently used task fields -> Complete equals "No".

Click "Add to list"

Save view as "Due Today".

Personally, I prefer a slightly different approach. My Focus views show in progress tasks (due date on or before today, start date on or before today), and tasks with Top priority (I use it just like Star in Toodledo). I then use Conditional formatting in Outlook to assign different colors and fonts to tasks due today, Overdue, or Starred (i.e. Top priority). So when I switch to the Master view showing all tasks, I can still very easily see my overdue tasks (red), started tasks (green), due tasks (blue) or Top tasks (blue and underlined). The rest are all plain black.

I also use filters and conditional formatting to hide tasks (just like Negative priority in Toodledo). I use a tag llHide for this. They are hidden from all views except MasterAll, in which they show up as light grey and italic.

All of this takes half an hour to set up, if you know what you're doing. And it can all be replicated in GoodTask on iOS.

If you get into custom filtering in Outlook, I very much recommend to enable SQL in filters (there's a registry hack for it, easy to find on the internet). This way you can use Boolean operators to set up AND / OR conditions for filters.

For me, this means if I have a ton of tasks on my plate, I have to spend more time than a quick glance to get a good overview. And the more I have to study a long list of items, the more I feel a sense of information overload - which I personally find frustrating and have to be on guard against being discouraged by.

This is why I use Focus views. If I have a task that is due in mid-November and would take me a week to complete, I assign a start date of Nov 1st to it, and it is hidden from my Focus view - along with several dozen other tasks - and will pop up in it when its time comes. My total task count right now is over 300. My Focus view count is 4.
-
I am guessing with advanced knowledge it could be tweaked and improved. But I have spent years doing google searches to find a way to optimize things. And I have never been able to get the custom views to work for me.

What is it you're trying to achieve ? In my experience, custom views (especially after enabling SQL) are very powerful and not all that hard to set up.

I am probably quirky when it comes to such things. I know lots of people who love Outlook Tasks and use it without similar issues - but these are also people who do not struggle with information overload to the degree I do. My brain I guess is hard wired differently than many other folks - if I have a lot of information in front of me I have to be able to contextualize it, classify it and group it into hierarchies or else my brain will quickly fry. My way of doing things is just to work around my quirks and weaknesses rather than spend lots of effort to conquer them - which, for me, usually means finding tools, software programs and processes that are non-clunky to the way my brain works. But there are occasions when we have no options but to use whatever tools are provided to us.

I do use OneNote all the time - I love it. But I use it for keeping notes. After reading your comment, I did a quick Google search on OneNote Outlook integration - and immediately found a site that suggests that I might be able to use individual sections within a OneNote notebook in such a way as to perhaps accomplish what I have been wanting. That is something I will absolutely follow up on and investigate - so thanks so much for the suggestion!

OneNote is an excellent project managing tool. I use it to take notes AND develop tasks, and then export them to Outlook with a single click. Moreover, it helps me to keep high level tasks (more of brainstorming ideas) outside of my task list, and only export individual actionable items to my master list, keeping the size manageable. A lot of people just dump all tasks into their task list and then find it overwhelming.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 22, 2018 in: Future Plans
What about with Android, through Google Assistant? Or, is it possible to forward an email to Outlook tasks? (I know you can drag & drop am email to the Task button. Was doing that in 2001.) If I can forward an email and have it wind up in tasks, I can write an IFTTT applet that does the job.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I used the Outlook (including the task list) as my productivity package in the BlackBerry days and liked the task list very much. The primary reason for looking for another alternative was, just as you say, syncing with a mobile task app. Here is a question that I have about the Outlook task list...Is there a way to add tasks via voice?

Yes, since it sync to iOS via Reminders, you can use Siri.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 21, 2018 in: Future Plans
I used the Outlook (including the task list) as my productivity package in the BlackBerry days and liked the task list very much. The primary reason for looking for another alternative was, just as you say, syncing with a mobile task app. Here is a question that I have about the Outlook task list...Is there a way to add tasks via voice?

Posted by Ummagumma:
No offense, but how well do you know Outlook ? Its task module, with some tweaking (plaintext tags, custom views and conditional formatting), is very powerful. Especially if you combine it with OneNote.

The difficult part is finding a mobile task app that syncs with it while maintaining the fields that you use the most.
DrFrankBuck

Thanks!

Yes, start dates. I was looking at Asana and they don't have them. Don't think Todoist does either. Remember the Milk does. Import/export is a good one. When I moved from Outlook to Toodledo, it didn't have to re-key or copy/paste. Was able to export Outlook to CVS and import into Toodledo.

Yes, the star is a powerful little tool that can be used in many ways. Great to use in sorted on batch edit. I did find in Remember the Milk that you can check individual tasks and then batch edit, but again, the star can be sued in a a variety of ways.

Posted by pawelkaleta:
I started my research for alternative services and I found that having below features is not as popular as I thought - only some of them are ususally available but not all of them at once as in Toodledo:

Start Dates
Export of data
Viewing tasks in a grid mode (not talking about ability to adjust order of columns to user's needs)
Marking individual tasks with Star
Negative priority (to hide tasks) or similar option
Dividers
Quick filters and sorting options for individual views
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 21, 2018 in: Future Plans
Marc,

Thank you for posting this. I am interested in yours reasons for staying. Could you go into some details about what you are finding with Toodledo that you would lose if you left. Earlier this morning, I started a thread along that line. (It's in the "Questions" section. I would welcome your comments either there or here. Not saying I am staying, but want to make a thoughtful decision.

Posted by mjbernstein:
I would like to chime in yet again. I have explored many options. Paper planner, Wunderlist, Anydo, Google tasks and many others.

For the foreseeable future I am sticking with Toodledo. Google calendar will remain my date planner.

May Toodledo live long and prosper and frankly the price is worth it to me but as I reflect on things this is what I would like to see added--sorry for being repetitive

1) First I would like to have a calendar integrated into things. Tasks and daily schedule should be able to be seen in the same view; and even integrated. It's like vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce--independently they are good. Together they are DYN-O-MITE as JJ would have said.

2) Color is very important for visual thinkers. Color can be use to segregate tasks into context/folders/ etc...in a rapid and visual way. Alternatively one could use color to indicate when in the day that task is assigned and especially if integrated into a calendar define a time when that task is to be started and completed.

3) A blank page for notes to record what happened on each day. Important calls. Personal thoughts and diaries. Tracking those things that slowed us down or sped us up. And then the ability to recall those issues.

4) There are several categories allowed--Context, Folders, Goals, Location. We can define the members of the group--could we also define the title of the groups? For instance I use Context for when in the day I am hoping to get things done.

5) Manual sorting of tasks via drag and group would be good. You can do that in a subtasks but honestly, I have yet to figure out well how to make the subtasks behave. Does that need work?

6) A note boards that is more drag and drop--like a colorful bulletin board. Fun. Visually attractive.

7) There are my starting points and where I will finish. I still think the system (being the web utility for me) is clumsy and stale--but it is powerful. Now is needs refinement to match the ease of management and visual appeal of competitors.

Aaron, you there? I will e-mail.

Marc

This message was edited Oct 21, 2018.
DrFrankBuck

The proposed new pricing structure with the features included is a concern on this forum. (Probably the understatements of the year). Many long-time users talk of moving to another service.

I thought it would be good to talk about what features Toodledo offers that gives it a leg up over the competition. I'll start. Please feel free to add and correct me where I have things wrong. (Aaron and Sam, please add your thoughts.)

1. Three levels of sort
2. Toodledo Bookmarklet (I use this all the time and it's fast.)
3. Location-based reminders on the free plan
4, Use of the screen. Toodledo uses the entire screen left to right.
5. A timer for each task. (Granted, most of us don't need to know what long we have been working on each individual task, but for those who bill by the hour, this could be significant.
6. The Importance sort formula
7. The ability to add as many of few fields as desired and arrange them in the order desired.
8. Habits tracker (I don't use it, but others swear by it.)
9. The Notes module. (I use Evernote. But for those looking for something simple this one will work.)

What other services offer these? What points have I left out. As we make our own decisions about what we will use to manage our tasks, I would certainly welcome a complete list of the reasons to stay.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 20, 2018 in: Future Plans
Aaron or Sam:

With the new pricing/features plan, where does the Toodledo Bookmarklet fall? Is it considered a 3rd party tool and will only remain functional in the paid plans?
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 19, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 2
I have also corresponded with Aaron via email and have also gotten thoughtful replies. As a result of the first, task notes will remain as a part of the free platform. In my latest email, I encouraged him to keep adding tasks via email as part of the free package. That one is sch a game-changer for the person whose email is full of semi-reminders of things to do. I also made the case that if we have task creating via email, we also have task creation via voice. I have a set of IFTTT applets that uses Google Assistant (IF THIS) to GMail (THEN THAT). I can sit on the couch and say, "OK Google, Tuesday, get dog food," and a task shows up on Toodledo with a due date of the coming Tuesday.

I also encouraged Aaron to become involved in the forum. It would allow him to scale the message as opposed to responding to emails one at a time.

Marc[/quote]

Marc, I emailed Aaron directly - got a decent reply from him. Seems open to well reasoned suggestions. I think they are very much ears still. Might be worth you dropping him a line and tell him your fears/concerns.[/quote]
DrFrankBuck

Score: 5
While there have been many critical comments made, nobody has resorted to name-calling. Having a difference of opinion does not made someone a "baby." Toodledo is a good product. There are also many other good products that do the same for a fraction of the proposed price.

The comparison of what we pay for other things is always an argument to pull out of the bag. But Toodledo is likely not the only subscription people are paying for. They start to add up.

Those who are voicing their opinions are not "babies." We are giving honest feedback the new owner and CEO need. As a result of the feedback, the task notes have been added to the free plan. Add back the ability to email into Toodledo with the free plan and it becomes a tool I could continue to recommend to others and use myself. I would also be willing to "wait and see" what improvements are going to be made that would benefit people on all platforms.

There's a large market out there both for people who use digital task lists and are looking for something better as well as a HUGE market consisting of those who are keeping up with stuff on sticky notes. One of the quickest ways to show people the light is to demonstrate how to forward emails to tasks.To me, a digital list that lacks that (or repeating tasks) is like a car that has three wheels.

Posted by Chardar Fuxus:
What a bunch of babies. Seriously $90 a year? You're complaining about that? What did you spend on starbucks, sodas, beer, wine last year? How about other BS you don't really need? Go look at your bank or CC statement. I'm pretty sure you can come up with a few more bucks to pay for this service.

Having been a dedicated IQTELL user for many years, I could tell you if this place were shutting down, you would be begging to pay more money to keep it open. If you wanna leave, do so.

For reference here is a list of features on all the alternatives.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCAzQ5f9ETGDhGZSUtecnq5at7AJw3BxSzP5E3h4lgo/edit#gid=0

I made this some time ago when IQTELL was shutting down the first time. 100's of people help me put this list together. Toodledo is one of the, if not BEST task managers out there. So yeah, you're gonna have to start paying for it.
DrFrankBuck

Glad to see the revised pricing structure puts task notes back into the free plan.

Any chance of putting emailing into Toodledo back in? Every task manager worth its salt has this feature in its free plan. I would find it hard to recommend to anyone a task manager that did not have this feature.

I could live without some other things...Saved Searches for example. But losing the ability to forward emails into Toodledo is a deal-breaker.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next