ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by AA"
AA

Posted Feb 04, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
Score: 0
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 04, 2015
  • Score: 0
The scaling of the Y axis now automatically works in the "Last 30 Days" chart, and it looks fantastic. Many thanks! Please add it also to the "Last 12 Months" and "Last 52 Weeks" charts. :-)
AA

Posted Feb 02, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Feb 02, 2015
Posted by shelbyp:
I have a small request on the graphs. It would be nice if the y axis was scaled appropriately for the data being displayed it currently starts from 0 always. So if you are tracking weight for example then you will not be seeing the variations. Graph looks essentially like a straight line even though substantial progress may have been made e.g. 83=>80k is alot for weight but unnoticeable on the graph with the current scaling.

Yup... I made this request a month ago, see #11 in the list here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-92276/read.html#jump

As you say, it's most noticable for a weight graph, but also for financial categories, etc. If you track your "overall income", "net worth", etc., etc., you're unlikely to be anywhere close to zero in those categories (well, let's hope so!), and then, all that range from "0" to the neighbourhood of thousands or wherever your numeric value might curently be, is displayed quite unnecessarily in the charts, making actual day-to-day variations in the values next to invisible.

Besides the scaling of the Y axis, I'd welcome if exact numeric values were shown in a little pop-up if you hovered your mouse over any point in the chart. Finally, it would be fantastic if there was an "Export Data" button below any chart; pushing that button would allow you to download the exact numeric data from that particular chart in a CSV file.

This message was edited Feb 02, 2015.
AA

• AA
I'm also seeing other potential issues with calculating averages.

For example, "average time to run around the lake". :-) (There's a nice lake close to where I live, and people like jogging around it. Not me, I'm afraid.)

If you log the time it takes for you to run around the lake, and if it takes 9 minutes for you to run around it on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and only 8 minutes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... then what's the average weekly value for your "Run around the lake" number Habit?

I'm afraid that the charts in Toodledo Habits would currently claim that the average was "7.28 minutes". But that is clearly incorrect. In reality, I failed to run around the lake at all on Wednesday, so the correct average value would be "8.5 minutes". I'm afraid that the current (pie)charts in Toodledo Habits do not take such very realistic scenarios into account.

This is one more proof why we need more than just the two current "Inbox" and "Completed" categories in Toodledo Habits. There need to be "exempt" (or "Missed", "Failed") days in Habits, too. In the above example, one of the 7 days would be "exempt"/"Failed"/"Missed"... and thanks to that, the average weekly/monthly/annual/overall numerical value calculated in the (pie)chart would be correct for that particular Habit.

However, it's potentially even trickier than that. If I use the number habit to track the time spent reading a book, and if I read a book for two hours every day except on Wednesday, the average weekly value would still be 1.71 hours, not 2 hours as in the above "Run around the lake" example. In other words, in terms of calculating average weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual/overall values, there are two types of Missed/Failed number habits: such where a "failed" day should not be included in calculating the average value (= "Run Around the Lake", or "Your Body Weight" example), and such where a "failed" day should be included in calculating the average value (= "Time Spent Reading a Book" example). I'm well aware of this because I've been tracking my "number Habits" for years now using a self-made Excel sheet... and the Habits really need to be distinguished as belonging to one of the two basic categories in relation to "Failed" days, if you wish to arrive at correct average weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual/overall values.

AA

Score: 1
  • AA
  • Score: 1
I'm afraid that the (pie)charts for individual Habits are off as well, not only the piechart on the Dashboard, and it's possibly also related to the "start of new week" preference.

Today is Monday, start of a new week according to my preference, so I haven't entered any value so far for most of my 80 Habits. But when I click those Habits now, the piecharts for those Habits already show me values for a new week, as if the new week already started yesterday (Sunday).

For example, for one of my Habits, its value was "65" yesterday (Sunday). The weekly chart for that Habit is now displaying "65" for the current week. The correct value should be "0", however, because I haven't entered any value for that Habit this week so far. That value, "65", belongs to last week, not this (current) week. I must fear that this means that all the other values in the "Last 52 Weeks" chart are incorrect as well, because the (pie)charts seem to be interpreting every week as starting on Sunday and ending on Saturday, despite my preference for Mondays as start of week.

AA

• AA
My guess is that could be related to your "start of new week" preference. Yesterday happened to be both a Sunday and the first day of a new month, and that combination might have triggered something unusual in your Inbox. I'd expect that everything should be back to normal in your Inboxes today, Monday.

I saw an issue similar to the one you describe in my own Inbox on one of the Sundays in January, but everything was OK for me yesterday. (My "start of new week" preference is Monday.)

That said, the "logged vs. not logged" piechart on the Dashboard is still incorrect for me every day.

AA

Posted Jan 30, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 30, 2015
Habits have now been added to Toodledo's full site backup file, which is great.

And, I'm seeing some new strings there, of the <failure></failure> variety, which is encouraging to say the least, although the new option currently isn't yet visible in the user interface.
AA

Posted Jan 30, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 30, 2015
Can't say I'd "totally agree" with Ken. Focusing on a "beautiful interface" at the expense of functionality? Definitly not... Not from a user's point of view, that is. Ken may be "totally right" in terms of marketing or Toodledo's reach to new customers. As an existing user, though, those aren't my primary concerns. So, your priorities may depend on how you look at Toodledo – as a Toodledo user, or as an employee of Toodledo's marketing department. ;-)
AA

Posted Jan 25, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2015
Right. We currently have "Red" (= Inbox = still upcoming for today) and "Green" (= Logged/Completed) in Habits. A third (and fourth?) color is sorely missed. I suggested (see http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-92282/read.html#jump ) "Orange" for Missed/Failed Habits. A fourth color might be, in line with the article you posted, "Yellow" for "exempt" days (= Habits irrelevant for today, or upcoming for a day different from today, etc.).

This message was edited Jan 25, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 23, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2015
To me, it's not about "failures". (I'd opt for a "softer", less negative label myself, such as "Missed" habits.)

The crucial thing here, as I see it, is the ability to maintain a clean Inbox. Whenever I look at my Inbox in Toodledo Habits, regardless of the time of day, I wish to see only the things I'm still supposed to do today. Nothing else. That's what GTD is all about. Right now, the Inbox is a mixture of things I'm supposed to do, and of things I was supposed to do, but didn't (and can no longer do today), and of things I'm supposed to do some other day, not today. So, the Inbox is a mess currently, especially if you have 79 habits like I do.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 23, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2015
Posted by Jake:
We are working on the ability to fail a habit intentionally so that you can distinguish between failure and "forgot to log it" and also to remove it from your inbox.

Thank you very much.

Posted by Jake:
It isn't clear to me how you can fail at a rating or number habit. Can someone please provide a scenario where you could fail at either of these?

For the number habit, see below.

For the rating habit, this issue is not as urgent for me, because I typically only check off all of my rating habits just before bedtime. But, similar scenarios are possible as well. Let's say a rating habit of yours is "Be Kind to Co-Workers". Quite apart from weekends when you might have no interaction with your co-workers at all, you might be taken ill on a regular weekday as well, or be away from work on vacation, etc. etc., with no interaction with your co-workers possible (not even via email). How are you supposed to "rate your kindness to co-workers" on such a day? :-) Any rating for that particular habit would be false on such a day. As another user noted earlier, it's not obvious or intuitive how you can rate a habit "0 stars". Instead of rating it "0 stars" (which doesn't really make sense), we should be able simply to discard/"fail" a rating habit for any particular day, so that it's removed from our Inbox, but doesn't show up among completed habits, either, because it wasn't completed. It simply wasn't relevant for that particular day.

Posted by shelbyp:
i think similar to your candy example if you log your workout time daily and you do not workout you might want to log a fail. Although you could admittedly log 0 or not log at all in this case.

"Workout time" is a perfect example in reply to Jake's query.

Logging a zero (0) or "not log at all" wouldn't be satisfactory solutions to me. A zero is not the same to me as not performing a habit at all. You could try performing it, and still come up with a 0 as a result. That's not the same thing as not trying at all. In fact, for some of my number habits, a zero is my targeted result, whereas a negative number means I failed to reach the desired zero.

"Not log at all" is not a solution, either, because then that "unlogged" habit remains sticking in your Inbox, cluttering it and obstructing the clear view of those habits you still need to perform today.

Posted by shelbyp:
Actually this is by far my biggest issue, Since after adding about 20 or more habits most of which do not occur daily, I am basically spending time parsing my inbox looking for the relevant ones.

Exactly. This has been my biggest issue as well, since day 1 of using Habits. I spend almost as much time "visually parsing my inbox looking for habits [still] relevant for today", as by checking off those habits. In the long run, that's hardly acceptable from the point of view of usability/productivity.

Posted by shelbyp:
I think a 3rd section ("Upcoming"?) is needed between Inbox and Completed to handle these less frequent habits.

Well, I proposed earlier that a 3rd section might be called MISSED/FAILED [for this day]. Then, UPCOMING might possibly be a 4th section for the purpose you're suggesting? :-) I don't really care about which section is 3rd or 4th, but I do find it important for Habits to offer a section listing all the habits I failed to perform on a given day. (As opposed to "not logged yet" habits, which belong to the Inbox, until they are either logged or failed.)

Posted by cj:
thus, I now have to embark on a new habit, of checking "habits" ... too easy to ignore or forget.

Hehe... not really, if you make that one of your habits, too! :-D That's exactly what I did: I now have 79 habits in Toodledo, and one of the 79 is a "meta-habit", that is: "Check off Toodledo Habits for the day" (and before bedtime at the latest, not on the following morning, which already decreases productivity). It's impossible for you to forget it that way. I agree that this (checking off Toodledo Habits) has now added one more chore to my everyday routine... but in return for increased productivity and clarity about my everyday activities, I'm more than willing to make that investment.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 22, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 22, 2015
Posted by Christoph Dollis:
My suggestion is to put a badge for the remaining Habits in today's INBOX on the Habits tab on both the app and web version. This is the most important thing.

Yes, but (as discussed earlier: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/19956/-92282/read.html#jump ) until Habits make it possible to remove already failed today's Habits from the Inbox, that Inbox count would be pretty useless – misleading, in fact. So, that's the no. 1 usability issue I see in Habits now – the Inbox's inability to show only what I'm still supposed to do today, as opposed to also showing what I should have done today, but didn't, and can no longer do today, for one reason or another.

I didn't know Habits weren't included in "Toodledo site backup", and that makes me worried. I hope Toodledo will fix that soon.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 17, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2015
No trick needed, just scroll down the left-hand slide-out menu a bit in the Android app... Below the Tasks and Notes section, there are also Outlines and Habits.
AA

Posted Jan 16, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 16, 2015
Posted by Salgud:
I disagree about habits being tasks. I don't enter my habits into my task manager.

I agree that I find the separation between Tasks and Habits to be useful. I do consider my Habits to be "tasks" – just too trivial/repetitive tasks, typically (like your "brushing teeth" example), to be entered in my main Tasks interface, cluttering it unnecessarily.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 16, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
  • AA
Wow, Salgud, I've just discovered that if you tap the icon glyph, with the red dot, to the left of the thread title, it does take you directly to the first unread post in each thread! So, the functionality is there – just not intuitive/easily discoverable, perhaps. However, once you've read all recent posts, there's no way to get to the last page of each thread directly from the Forum Watchlist. Unlike the various forum sections, Forum Watchlist offers no page listings, which can be inconvenient whenever you need to access recent (although not newly submitted) posts in a thread.

[Edit:] Sigh... here comes another self-correction: tapping the icon glyph to the left of the thread title, even without the red dot, does take you to the last page of each thread. I've been using Toodledo's forums for years, but have only just discovered this functionality by pure luck/accident, thanks to our discussion with Salgud. The big icon glyphs by themselves don't appear to be clickable/tappable, but they are, which is great. I'm just wondering if many Toodledo forum users will discover the feature.

AA

• AA
I agree that this ("Today" tasks being displayed as "Overdue", "Tomorrow" as "Today", and the day after tomorrow, as "Tomorrow") is a nasty bug. It's confusing to a degree where I now prefer to call up Toodledo's main site in my iPhone browser. I have kept Toodledo's app on the previous version on one of my iPads, so that I can at least enjoy a bug-free experience there.

Apple is very tardy about approving apps, but it's always especially bad around Christmas. Apple's review staff takes a 19-day holiday break each Christmas, or something like that. Let's hope it won't take as long the next time around. Also, I believe Apple offer an expedited review process for fixing critical bugs. Although this "Today" bug perhaps isn't "critical", it sure is pretty serious.

Overall, I'm very happy with the newest additions in Toodledo, especially now Habits. Getting Lists in the Toodledo apps would be great as well.

AA

Posted Jan 16, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
  • AA
In the Forum Watchlist, there are no page listings. Only thread titles, so you only get to the first page of a thread, every time.

Also, you shouldn't be required to scroll manually at any time, visually looking for the first unread post. Ideally, there might be clickable links directly on the Forum Watchlist page, leading straight to the first unread post in each thread. Even free forum software packages like phpBB offer this feature, so it would be nice if Toodledo's forums offered it, too. And, email notifications from the forum about newly added posts in subscribed/"watched" threads would be nice as well.

However, those are meta-issues to me, unrelated to Toodledo's core functionality. My main request to Bridget is to consider implementing Markdown throughout Toodledo's site and apps. The absence of Markdown has been irking me for years now, pretty much on an everyday basis, because I use Toodledo's note-taking functionality (for both Tasks, and Notes themselves) extensively. Thank you for giving it a thought, Bridget.

AA

Posted Jan 15, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Score: 2
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2015
  • Score: 2
Please implement Markdown throughout Toodledo's site and apps. It's been driving me insane for years now, having to type out the full HTML tags for bold, italics, etc., whenever I need to highlight/format something in my notes.

(That also applies to this forum. Also, from the Forum Watchlist, there is no way to access the most recent post in a thread – you first need to go to the first page of the thread, then manually flip to the last page of the thread, and finally, manually look for the most recent unread post... Just awful usability.)

Thank you for these and other future improvements.
AA

Posted Jan 14, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2015
Habits in the iOS app are finally here. Hooray!

But, the "Needs Improvement" section really has nothing to do with reality, as detailed above under 20). It absolutely doesn't highlight those Habits for me that do need improvement. That section simply seems broken; I've never seen it display any useful/correct data, but it seems to be randomly displaying just any Habit in which I failed to make a record yesterday, although that's no big deal, really, in the grand scheme of things.

PS: Just like in the Android tablet app, though less severely so, I find the column listing the Habits to be too narrow on the iPad in portrait orientation. Too many Habits have their titles cut off due to the column being so narrow. In contrast, the right-hand column seems too luxuriously, unnecessarily wide. It is ironic that in this respect, the desktop version of Habits, when viewed in a regular web browser in portrait orientation on the iPad, offers a better layout than the dedicated iOS/Android app.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 11, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2015
22) The "start of new week" bug still isn't completely fixed. My "start of week" is set to be Monday. It's Sunday morning, Jan 11, right now. When I click any of my Habits now, it brings me to next week's screen, starting from tomorrow, Monday, but it calls next week "This Week". In order to see today's (Sunday's) checkbox, I need to go to the drop-down menu and select "Last Week", although today, Sunday, is not "Last Week" – it's still "This Week".

Here is a screenshot documenting the bug: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/misc/Habits_bug-Today_as_Last_Week.jpg Habits currently consider "Today" (if it's a Sunday) to be part of "Last Week"!

Thank you for fixing this bug. (It can currently be observed only as long as it's a Sunday for you.)

This message was edited Jan 11, 2015.
AA

Posted Jan 10, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • AA
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2015
20) I think that the "Needs Improvement" section on the Dashboard needs improvement. ;-) Among my 75 Habits, there are a few in which I haven't logged a single day since the start of the New Year 10 days ago. So, those are exactly the Habits that should be prominently highlighted in the "Needs Improvement" section. Instead, the "Needs Improvement" section highlights some other Habits for me in which I only failed to make a record yesterday or so. That doesn't make sense.

Also, I'd welcome if both the "Trending Habits" and the "Needs Improvement" section displayed more than only 4 items (make this configurable per user, perhaps).

21) The piechart on the Dashboard is wrong, too. I have 75 Habits, but the piechart tells me that I have 73 "not logged" and 17 "logged" Habits, which totals 90 Habits. That's obviously incorrect.

Thank you.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2015.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next