ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 09, 2012
  • Score: 1
Posted by mpc_janssen:
All my tasks are atomic (otherwise I will procrastrinate on them) If I have tasks that take several days to complete they are projects for me.
The distinction task/project is not just semantics in GTD. A project is more than just work projects in the normal sense. Any outcome which takes more than one physical activity to complete is a project according to GTD.

In my opinion, one of the serious flaws in GTD, Allen's definition of a project. By his definition, brushing my teeth is a project because it "takes more than one physical activity to complete".

1. Go to bathroom
2. Open cabinet
3. Grasp toothbrush in right hand
4. Grasp toothpaste in left hand
etc.

By Allen's definition, virtually any human activity is a project. It is far to vague to be a definition.
Salgud

Posted Nov 08, 2012 in: Repeating Tasks End Date
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 08, 2012
  • Score: 0
That option is not currently available, but is on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Nov 05, 2012 in: Notebook
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2012
You can do exactly that, almost. You have the right idea. You highlight the text you want, then right click, select "copy" from the context menu, then to and click on "New task", and right click in the Task description field and select "paste" from the context menu. Voila, you have a new task!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2012
Currently that feature is not available on TD. It is on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Nov 02, 2012 in: Interfact
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2012
Posted by sbolton:

Look at Swift To Do. This is a nice interface, but it seems to lack in other areas.
SB

You think this is a great interface? Huge ugly icons and a standard windoze explorer configuration? Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

If you want to see an elegant interface, look at Things. It's still the prettiest face in town. But the developers just took 3.5 YEARS to do cloud sync. That's right, 3.5 YEARS. And they virtually halted any other development while they did it. And they rarely participate in their own forums, except to occasionally defend their policy of non-participation. So it's stuck right where it is.

I don't think TD is particularly pretty, though the face lift a couple of years ago is a big improvement. The main thing is, it works! Every weekday morning, I sit down at my computer and open Things, do my "Morning Drill", then on to my "Hotlist" (custom, not the TD standard). I get reminded of tasks I entered months ago exactly when I need to be. I seldom miss anything, and when I do, it's virtually always because I forgot to enter it.

I can come to these forums and post a question or a complaint, and invariably get a response from the lead developer within a day, often sooner. Usually, one of the experts here posts an answer even sooner. I can't ask for more than that.

TD is like a trusty old mongrel dog, she ain't pretty but she's always there when I need her. I can't ask for more than that. It just works.

This message was edited Nov 02, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Nov 01, 2012 in: Interfact
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2012
Posted by sbolton:
Are there third party interfaces?

If anyone knows of one I would really like to know. I really like Toodledo but the interface is a drawback and from a short search it appears to be an almost universal disappointment with the program. I have the pro version and I remember liking it better when I was using the free version.

I am not trying to offend anyone, but if Toodledo had a better interface it would soon be the champion of the task managers.

SB

I'm not sure how you could like using the free version better from an interface POV, since both versions have had the same interface for a long time now. The interface doesn't change when you upgrade, it just adds some additional features.
Salgud

Posted Oct 31, 2012 in: how do I find/change my "secret email"
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 31, 2012
Posted by cath SPENCE:
well I'm intrigued by your comment "well if you're certain"!!

Is there something you're not telling me?

He's pulling your leg. You said you "certainly" can't find it.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 29, 2012
I don't recall, but if you search the help screens & forums, I imagine you'll find your answer
Salgud

Posted Oct 29, 2012 in: Improve Toodledo iOS Workflow and UI
  • Salgud
@lihn

Pictures of homescreens? And this proves what? I didn't see Omnifocus in them, and if I had, so what? I already know that some people use Omnifocus, some use Things, and some use TD. This is not exactly front page news. If you don't like TD, go get Omnifocus and be proud of how much you spent for it. :)
Salgud

• Salgud
It sorts by whatever you select as the second and third sort criteria. These are just above the column names, where it says, "Sort".
Salgud

Posted Oct 26, 2012 in: Mac OS X
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2012
TD has no desktop apps, not even for Windows. They have 3rd party programs for that, but not TD itself. My guess, you wouldn't like one if they had one, since it would pretty much be like the one that sucks.
Salgud

Posted Oct 19, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2012
Posted by T_Yonten:
@Salgud

Thank you so much for sharing all this.

A question:
I noticed a second image along with the one that you linking in your first post.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/gwhome.jpg/

Could you link me to the software you're using there? I can't quite make it out in the top left corner. I think it will suit my style perfectly.

Many thanks.

Thanks.

If I were truly evil, (I'm only mostly evil) I'd point you toward GroupWise, the software in question. Actually, you couldn't use it anyway, it only comes with a Novell network, and it is one of the worst apps I've ever run across. We at the state finally abandoned it recently and replaced it with Gmail and I am rejoicing as we speak. It had some great features, like the dashboard in the image, but most of them either didn't work at all, or were really clunky, or high maintenance, or ungodly slow, or all of the above. Come to think of it, mostly all of the above.

Actually, if you're ok with a web app, GCal/Gmail does most of the same stuff, and it mostly works! Maybe not as pretty, but very functional. And you can tie the task list to TD I believe.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Oct 19, 2012 in: Multi-Edit Problem in Chrome(ium)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2012
Get an OS that works with the rest of the world? ;)
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 15, 2012
Posted by wksims86:

Sadly, you are correct, as PJLewis mentioned above. It's been a much-requested feature, but the powers that be say it would require significant recoding. I've tried to re-imagine it not as a bug but a feature -- if I need sub-subtasks, then I'm not classifying my tasks properly into my system. It's a 50/50 pro/con situation, really, but with extra level I've managed to eek out enough hierarchy to support my personal system.

If my recollection is correct, the lack of multiple levels of subtasks is due to interface problems. If you look through these forums often enough, you'll note the issue of how to display/hide subtasks comes up frequently. It's hard for a lot of people to manage them. Adding another level would exacerbate this issue considerably, and until they find a better way to implement this, it is on hold.

I know Jake will correct me if I'm mistaken here. :)
Salgud

Posted Oct 15, 2012 in: +1 for Toodledo Manual
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 15, 2012
Posted by Jake:
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks

Just a reminder, Jake, I have done computer courseware and application training videos and would be interested in helping you out.
Salgud

Posted Oct 12, 2012 in: Tasks drag and drop in Calendar
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 12, 2012
Your English as far better than my Dutch, since I don't speak a word of it. :)

As far as your app, I've tried many task managers and don't recall any with that capability. You should probably skip GTD based apps since GTD advocates total separation of tasks and appointments, though in my world, many of the tasks I do are for appointments and/or have deadlines.

There is a wealth of experience in these forums, so this is a good place to ask. Best of luck with your search.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Oct 09, 2012 in: Video Needed!
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 09, 2012
In lieu of a video, here are a few suggestions for newbies:

1. Start out simply, use only a few fields at first, get to understand the interface and how those fields work. Do not start with a full-fledged all-out every-feature-available set-up, you'll go crazy. Avoid the more advanced/complex features like subtasks for a while, until you have the basic interface down.

2. Add features as you become more comfortable with the application and the features you started out with. Explore the interface and try all of the buttons/features that are visible. We get dozens of newbies asking how to switch on or off the notes field, when it's right in plain sight if they'd just try stuff out before posting. In particular, get familiar with the "Show" feature on the toolbar near the top. These Filters will override other settings and give you quick access to that tasks are displayed and which ones are hidden and can obscure what you're seeing and why you're seeing it.

3. Make yourself familiar with the Settings screen. Look through it frequently until you pretty much know what's in there. We get tons of posting from people asking about things in there that they could find without having to wait until one of us gets back to them if they would just LOOK.

4. If you're stuck on a feature, check out the appropriate Help screen first. They are fairly complete (admittedly, some are out of date), and usually very helpful. If the Help screen isn't helpful, do a quick search of the forums to see if you can find your question answered previously. Usually, if you look, you'll find your answer if you can figure out the correct search terms. This is not always easy.

5. Read through the various systems some of have posted to help others. There are quite a few of these, mostly in the "Tips and Tricks" forum, with detailed descriptions of how we apply the many features of TD to our own situations. One of the things that makes TD sometimes difficult is how powerful and flexible it can be. Even if the system you're reading isn't really for you, there are often "tricks" the creator has used to solve a particular problem that you may be wrestling with at that time. These detailed explanations also help you to understand how the fields/features work, and how they can be bent to do something entirely different than the obvious application.

Finally, if you can't find your answer in the Help screens or by a forum search, feel free to post your issue in the forums. Most of the regulars here are more than willing to help, even with those questions that have been answered a thousand times before. We've been there, and realize that this is not easy to master and that sometimes you can search til you drop and not find what you're looking for. Post here and usually within a few hours at most, one of us, or one of the TD team, will answer. One of the reasons many of us like TD is because the TD team is so helpful here, and a question seldom goes unanswered for more than a day.

In short (too late), there are a lot of resources available to tame TD and bend it to your needs. If you're willing to put some time and effort into understanding it, TD will pay of many many times over in making your life more organized and less worrisome. Best of luck!

These are just a few ideas to help get you started. I'm sure other experienced users can add to this, or even have other approaches entirely that might help new users get over the hump with TD. I invite your comments.

This message was edited Oct 09, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Oct 04, 2012 in: My Toodledo Quick Start Guide
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 04, 2012
May I suggest one other technique for those with excessively long task lists? Add one more task to your list, Start Date Today, no Due Date, called "Learn to say 'No'".
Salgud

Posted Oct 03, 2012 in: GTD projects in Toodledo
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 03, 2012
Posted by Dave:
Thanks for the feedback.

Two grocery apps that I dig are OurGroceries since it syncs with almost every type of phone(my wife has a Blackberry),

And you let her live in your house?! :)

and Listmaker is a good iOS one since it is supposed to be used with a second Toodledo account exclusivly for lists as a complement to the developer's GTD app called Action Lists. Sounds just like what you are doing.

Hope that helps.

Do either of those allow for different stores for a single item? Finding that is the biggest problem for me.
Salgud

Posted Oct 02, 2012 in: GTD projects in Toodledo
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2012
Posted by Dave:
Salgud, do you use TD on a smartphone? If so is it easy to manage projects using tasks/subtasks? That has been my issue with using that setup.

Not really. Since TD for iPhone can't do Saved Searches, which is virtually all I do in TD, I don't. Also because I couldn't find a decent grocery shopping app with all the features I wanted, so I created a free TD account just for that, and access that account from my iPhone. It works like a charm, but now I miss having TD for tasks on my phone! When I did have it for tasks on my phone, I used it mostly to add tasks when I was away from my desk. So now I'm searching again for a grocery app to replace TD in that role so I can have it again, even in it's limited context.

I understand that managing subtasks from the iOS app is a bit cumbersome, but I defy anyone to show me that they waste more time per day entering new subtasks than they do daydreaming, chatting at the coffee machine, or picking their nose. I know it seems like a long time when you're in a hurry, and especially when someone is waiting for you, but I can't imagine there's anyone who can't list in a few minutes at least 10 ways they waste at least 3 times as much time in a day as they do entering tasks in TD. I'm not much for wasting hours trying to save minutes. YMMV.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next