http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php
PeterW 

Posted Jul 01, 2010 in: My Got To Do GTD Set-up
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2010
  • Score: 0
Posted by maury.shapiro:
I've had a Palm for years starting with Palm V. I have pages of tasks. I cannot find a way to get them into Toodledo. How did you do it?

Try this help info: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_palm.php
PeterW 

Posted Jul 01, 2010 in: A little fire underneath your seat
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Posted by ken:
For some reason, I decided to try the Multi-line format - I had always used the Grid layout in TD. And Multi-line is working for me right now. I'm really liking the cleaner interface when all the tasks are collapsed and I can zero in on a few specific items as needed.

And that is one of the beautiful things about Toodledo - it is immensely flexible. The difference between Multi-line and Grid view fundamentally changes the way data is displayed and how I work with that data. How many other web-based apps allow that? For that matter, how many desktop apps allow that?

Great post, Ken!

Like you, I ran Toodledo in grid format for a long time and recently switched over to multi-live view. I really like the minimal interface and believe it helps my productivity immensely. When I need to see more, it's easy to expand a task.

I've tested a few of the new sites recently but did not like the fact that I had to shoehorn myself into their way of thinking - way too inflexible. And missing many features Toodledo has had for years.

Toodledo's flexibility and feature set make it a very powerful tool, probably more than most new users would realize. I recently saw a post on the official DavidCo/GTD forums from someone looking for an online task management system who decided against Toodledo based on its appearance. So I posted some screenshots of my Toodledo setup and they were surprised at what could be done. This is probably where Jake's efforts need to be directed - i.e. making the system attractive enough to keep new users on board.

This message was edited Jul 01, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 01, 2010 in: Proximo setup videos
  • PeterW 
That user moved to a different task management solution some months back, so you'd have to contact him directly to see if he still has the videos available. I think he left an email address in one of the threads.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
I just did a quick test. If I set my account settings so that new tasks have a default priority of medium, I found that tasks added via the FireFox add-on still defaulted to low priority even after performing a "refresh lists" in the add-on and restarting the browser. So that would be one way of achieving what you want.

The other thing you may be unaware of is that if you hover your mouse over the checkbox field of a task, a popup will display showing how the task was added (e.g. FireFox, API, or just blank for via the website). So that's another way of determining how a task got on your list.

Lastly, another thing you can do is set your new task default folder to "no folder". Whenever you add a task quickly to be processed later, (via mail, FireFox, or the website), it will go to "no folder" which is essentially your inbox. You can then check this folder when you have time and process the tasks to where they belong.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 30, 2010 in: syncing on iphone
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 30, 2010
It' still there - it was moved to the settings tab. Just tap the settings tab at the bottom and you will see the sync button on the top right.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 29, 2010
I'd never looked at GQueues before - quite nice. It's missing some thing I'd need but the simple drag & drop interface works well. It has email-to-inbox, tags (which you could use for context), repeating tasks, etc. Quite comprehensive in a simple layout.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 29, 2010
Of course, I hadn't considered that. Make sense.

Apple has kind of made the iPhone a bit like the old Windows Mobile in this regard, which is not a good thing! :)
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 28, 2010
On my 3GS running iOS4, Toodledo is not starting up where I asked it to (the Hotlist). It seems to start where I last left it.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 28, 2010 in: Sort Folder List Alphabetically
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 28, 2010
Yes - go into the Manage Folders screen (click on the Folders link in the left-hand menu) and you will see a checkbox that enables sorting alphabetically.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 27, 2010 in: Sub task viewing on iPad
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 27, 2010
Assuming this works the same as on the iPhone, you will need to access the Filters settings page...

When viewing any list of tasks, tap on the toolbar on the left-hand side where it says "Hidden Tasks: 0" (or some other number depending on your settings).

This will take you to a settings screen. Tap the Filters button, and you will see the last option on that page is 'Subtasks' - set to nested.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 27, 2010 in: Showing tasks due today OR tomorrow
  • PeterW 
I had to rush out earlier, so just to expand on my previous reply, set your Hotlist to "Next 2 Days" to get both today and tomorrow. You must also set a priority - I set mine to 'High' as most of my tasks are low (default) and medium. High and Top are only used sparingly.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
@Linh,

Here's one way you can make it work...

Instead of using Toodledo's status field, turn it off and use your folders to run your workflow.

My folders are:
- Next
- Project
- Waiting for
- Someday
- Reference

I use contexts and tags for the usual purposes. The only other thing worth mentioning is that my Projects folder contains parent tasks with sub-tasks and there are a few tips with setting that up that can help make it work smoothly, but aside from that, that's pretty much it.

The folder where your tasks reside is what indicates their status, so you only have to move tasks from one folder to another if the status changes. And this is immediately reflected on your iPhone app after syncing.

This setup is simply but I've found it deceptively powerful. And it means that you can can use Toodledo or Appigo Todo on your iPhone or any other app that syncs folders. Other apps won't support all Toodledo fields but you might find (as I have) that with a simple setup on Toodledo, that won't matter.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 27, 2010 in: Showing tasks due today OR tomorrow
  • PeterW 
You can set your Hotlist to display tasks due today and tomorrow, and then print that list out.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 27, 2010 in: iOS 4 push notifications broken.
  • PeterW 
I'm using a 3GS and upgraded from 3.x to iOS4, and I see Toodledo in the notifications and it's working OK for me.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 26, 2010 in: GUI For Reals
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2010
Posted by jhall:
It shouldn't take me five minutes to move an item to a different list/project without it getting accidentally indented. You had such an opportunity here and it just seems like you could care less about user experience. Sorry if I sound annoyed; I'm sure you have lots of fans but there is absolutely nothing intuitive about the online interface, imho.

Like any application, it takes a while to become familiar with how Toodledo works.

I recently tested out two other online task managers with more modern interfaces but I can tell you that they were no easier to use or to navigate. And they were missing a lot of important features to boot.

The more features, the more time it takes to learn. Give it a bit more time and you will become comfortable with it.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 24, 2010 in: Lifehacker Hive Five
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2010
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2010
It seems to be working ok for me - my badge is set to display "Overdue and Due Today" and the number shown after I synced was correct (I manually sync). This is on a 3GS running iOS4.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 23, 2010 in: Hover on subtaskdisplays parent task
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2010
Sorry but I wouldn't like to see it implemented this way.

I'd prefer to see the parent task name in smaller sized & colored font (perhaps even in brackets) alongside the subtask name.

The reason is that this means the user can glance at a list and immediately see subtasks with their parent task relationship, and when a list is printed it will also be displayed.

If you have to hover over a subtask manually then you might as well just click the subtask icon to display the parent, which you can already do now.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 22, 2010 in: Suggestion...tasks/notes/subtasks.
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 22, 2010
@kentpavelka - I use Multi-line view and have already requested that the notes icon be added to the main (displayed) task line. I think this is important for workflow and will help a lot.

As for tricks/tips on making it work and stopping things from falling through the cracks, I'd suggest the following:

1. Always leave sub-tasks set to "flattened". This is very important as it will ensure that subtasks are always visible in any view you use. If you set subtasks to either "hidden" or "indented", they won't appear even if a due date is reached (e.g. throwing out the old fish might get overlooked!).

2. A task's icon indicates whether you are looking at a standalone task, a parent task or a sub-task. Hovering the mouse pointer over a parent or sub-task icon also confirms its status. If you click on a parent task icon, it will display the subtasks. If you click on a sub-task icon, the parent task will be displayed above the subtask.

Here is what I do to help with my project handling (note that my projects are simply parent tasks with subtasks):
(a) I always prefix the parent task name with a "+" sign. This makes it immediately obvious in any view that it's a parent task.
(b) I always prefix subtasks with a "-" sign for the same reason.
(c) I also prefix subtasks with an abbreviation of the parent task name so I can immediately see what project they belong to.

For example...
Parent task:
 + AX2009 Upgrade Plan
Subtasks:
 - AX2009 u/g: Review AX30 forms with JK
 - AX2009 u/g: Search for BI add-ins
 - AX2009 u/g: Get specs for test servers

I made an enhancement request to Toodledo recently asking if they would consider showing the parent task name alongside subtask names. This is how other services handle it - e.g. you see the task name and then in smaller gray text or in a reverse colored block alongside, you see the parent (project) name. This would avoid the need for me to include the project name prefix in my sub-tasks and in my view is an important feature needed in Toodldedo to enhance project handling.

Nonetheless I can live with what I am currently doing and it works well for me.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next