ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Purveyor"
Purveyor

Score: 0
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2012
  • Score: 0
Toodledo does not allow you to change the names of the Status and Priority fields.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 23, 2012 in: Deleting a repeating task?
  • Purveyor
If you delete an uncompleted repeating task, the task is gone, but previously completed instances will remain in your task list.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 23, 2012 in: Defaulting to calender
Score: 1
  • Purveyor
  • Score: 1
Go to Settings to change the Default View.
http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=7
Select Calendar.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 22, 2012 in: Need "Context Groups"
Score: -3
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 22, 2012
  • Score: -3
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012.
Purveyor

Score: -1
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2012
  • Score: -1
The owner/developer of Toodledo is already aware of the need for manual sorting but it is obvious that this feature is way down on his list of priorities, and he has only one other guy to help him.

There have been many requests for manual sorting. For example, this topic from May 2009:
Is there a way to control the display order of tasks?
From that topic, here is a comment by one of the most prolific contributors to the Toodledo forums:
Using the Alphabetical hack for this is just not acceptable long term. I see it as a good short term solution, but the lack of sorting by dragging is a real issue for many.
To be fair, the following comment by Jake makes sense:
Other to-do sites have manual sorting because they don't have any of the other sorting methods that we have (due-date, importance, priority, etc). When you try to have both sorting by criteria and manual sorting, it gets really messy.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 21, 2012 in: No attachment icon
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2012
You need a Pro Plus subscription to have attachments:

See: http://www.toodledo.com/pro.php
Purveyor

Posted Jan 20, 2012 in: Deleting Locations
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2012
If you go to "Organize" in the top menu, and then Locations, you can click on the Trashcan at the right to delete a location.

You are limited to only 5 locations with a free subscription.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: Change Completion Date
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2012
It's bizarre that your API allows the Completion Date to be changed but you, as the website developer, cannot figure out a way to accommodate those users who have been asking for years to have this feature.

Are you simply refusing to do it because it would interfere with your 1-week limit of viewing completed tasks for free subscriptions?

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: How do I get tasks on iPad onto iPhone?
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2012
Well, the iPad is magical ... but very little happens "automatically".

You have to configure each device to synchronize with the Toodledo website.

The instructions are in the Help topic here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=101
Purveyor

Posted Jan 18, 2012 in: URL Links
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 18, 2012
Posted by JPR:
The way TD handles links in notes is standard behavior for a website. I think people get thrown off because they don't view their task list as a standard website.
Well, that makes sense, except that's not how links are handled in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, NirvanaHQ or Nozbe. All of those websites open a link in a new tab.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 17, 2012 in: Customizing Status
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2012
Who is Jeff?

I think you mean Jake.

Anyway, this is what he said:
One thing to keep in mind is that only about 3% of our users have ever set foot in the forums, and an even smaller fraction have posted a comment. So, what you read in the forums shouldn't really be used as a general barometer for the desires of the entire user base.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/7343/2/locations-reverse-sort-and-more.html

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Jan 17, 2012 in: URL Links
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
Personally, I hate it when websites spawn new windows. I much prefer for a link to open in the current window.
It is interesting that you hate it but what about what your customers think?

I hate the way that Toodledo handles links in the Task Note. If I click on one of those links, I want it to open a new tab so that I still have a tab with my Toodledo Task list. I shouldn't have to ctrl-click.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2012
For work projects, I don't use Toodledo. I use Outlook and OneNote. I've also used Outliner for iPad for laying out the various steps of a project (there's also an online version), and Mind Manager along with iThoughts for iPad for a visual overview.

For personal projects (which tend to be much simpler than my work projects), I use Toodledo tasks with detailed info in Notes. I don't like the implementation of subtasks in Toodledo but sometimes I use them. Also, if the project has more than one step, I prefer seeing them all of them, even though I am working on just one.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
The e-book does a good job of explaining the key points of MYN. The larger book fleshes out the underlying rationale. The Outlook book is very good. My company uses Outlook and Exchange Server, which is a powerful combination, but I had stopped using it for tasks and I used Toodledo instead. Not a good idea when everyone in my company is using Outlook.

I'm now back to using Outlook for work tasks and, as I mentioned earlier, I am using Toodledo for my personal tasks.

FWIW, I think that several GTD concepts are completely compatible with MYN:
The five stages of mastering workflow -- Collection, Processing, Organizing, Reviewing, Doing.
Using a trusted system (paper-based or electronic) to free up "psychic RAM".
Recognizing that a desired outcome usually involves several actions.
Identifying the next physical action required to move towards the desired outcome, especially to get "unstuck".
Doing regular daily, weekly, monthly and annual reviews.
Emptying the email Inbox every day.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Master Your Workday Now!
Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook
And today I downloaded "The One Minute To-Do List".
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Which of Linenberger's books have you read?
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Hey! :)

I started using MYN about three months ago. A couple of months before, I eliminated all work tasks from Toodledo and I started using Outlook for my work projects and tasks, along with OneNote for the project details. I use Toodledo for my personal tasks, and Evernote for gathering personal reference material.

I have implemented three aspects of Linenberger's system:
1. I map Priority to one of the three urgency zones.
2. I use Start Dates instead of Due Dates.
3. I sort my task list by Priority and then Start Date.

I have configured Outlook and Toodledo according to Linenberger's recommendations, and I use TaskTask to access my work tasks on my iPhone and iPad and I use the Toodledo iOS apps to access my personal tasks.

Overall, I am happy with the results. I use the basic principles of GTD and I have a bit more structure in my task lists because of Start Dates and Priority. Still a bit complicated, though.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2012
Posted by Linda M:
Okay, so I read an email. What's its value? Does it matter to me? If so, do something with it that matters. Take an action which matters on the same level that this email matters.

If it doesn't matter, delete it, or archive it if you think it might one day matter. Don't spend too much time on how you archive it. Just have a good search mechanism in your email database.
I used the example of an email message to clarify the meaning of "actionable". Anything that you delete or archive is not actionable. If something is actionable then, yes, "take an action which matters on the same level that this email matters", but the key point is determining what the "Next action" is.
Take a look at Why "What's the next action?" is the most important question.

Also, you say:
On the other hand, I'm beginning to think that an electronic gadget (laptop or smartphone) just gets in the way and I should establish a non-electronic solution and discipline myself to use that.
There are many people who think so. Take a look at The case for paper-based productivity.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2012
Looks good.

Where is your Kanban board?
Do you share it with anyone or is it only for you?
Do you have data that indicates how effective it has been for you?

Thanks.

BTW, here's a link to Personal Kanban.

This message was edited Jan 09, 2012.
Purveyor

Score: 2
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2012
  • Score: 2
Posted by Linda M:
I want to base my actions on what matters most.
Yes, but what do I do with an email message in my Inbox? ;)

From Pay Attention to What Has Your Attention:
Very few people, when we ask them to capture what’s on their mind, start off with, "Fulfill my destiny on the planet." Most begin with something like "Fix printer" or "Get babysitter for the weekend." If your destiny, or your strategic vision, or your ideal outcome for your mom’s elder-care situation is the first thing on your mind, fabulous. Grab it. If it’s not, and you really want to effectively identify and incorporate those higher-horizon commitments, you must start with what’s taking up the space in front of them. More often than not that’s 22 e-mails you've been avoiding, the sitter you need to arrange for your kids for tomorrow night, and buying cat food. If you don’t deal with those effectively, they will undermine your recognition of the bigger stuff or at least diminish your ability to focus on them clearly.
Back to the email message in my Inbox: Is it "actionable"? If not, then I will delete it, delegate it, defer it, or store it for reference.

If it is actionable, then what is the specific action that I need to take? Yes, it will depend on the specific outcome that I want, but the desired outcome can be achieved in a variety of ways. What specifically do I do, and do I do it now or do I store it somewhere so that I can retrieve it and do it later? How do I find it later, and how do I know that I will see it when I need to?

The GTD methodology, at its core, is about getting things done by making decisions simply, quickly, and effectively, by having a trusted system that leads to "Mind like Water". Learning to use the GTD methodology is neither simple nor quick, but the results can be very effective.

Salgud mentions "Zen to Done". The author of that blog, Leo Babauta, says this about The Only Way to Become Amazingly Great at Something:
It takes anywhere from 6-10 years to get great at something, depending on how often and how much you do it. Some estimate that it takes 10,000 hours to master something, but I think it varies from person to person and depends on the skill and other factors.
There’s no one who is great at his profession who hasn’t been doing it for at least 6 years — no designer, no programmer, no carpenter, no architect, no surgeon, no teacher, no musician, no artist … you get the point. I dare you to name one. Most have been doing it for over a decade, and are still looking to improve.

It takes desire, it takes drive, it takes lots and lots of doing.

So here’s the thing: don’t get discouraged if you’re just starting out. Have fun, like we all did in the beginning. If you have fun, you’ll learn to love it, and THAT’S when it clicks.

The GTD system involves skill, just like the skill of a designer, programmer, carpenter, architect, surgeon, teacher, musician, and artist. And, just as there are many professions and vocations, there are many systems of task management.

The Franklin-Covey system is "top-down" -- principles, values, goals, and then actions. The GTD system is "bottom-up" -- look at what you're currently doing ("Pay attention to what has your attention") and use it to determine what's important to you. Both systems are fairly complex.

Zen to Done is simpler, as is Mark Forster's SuperFocus.
There's also another method, Michael Linenberger's Master Your Now.

Take your choice. :)

This message was edited Jan 09, 2012.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45      Next