ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2010
  • Score: 0
@Brian - I'm sorry... I thought you were talking about sorting tasks but after reading your message again, I can see you were talking about sorting folders. My aologies.

My folders are sorting in the same order as I have them sorted in the main Toodledo interface, which I've set in Folder settings. I just changed the order in my settings and after closing and re-opening the sidebar, this new order was reflected.

Are your folders sorted 1-7 in the main Toodledo window?
PeterW 

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: representing for multiday todos
  • PeterW 
I guess you could create a repeating task with daily interval. Just check it off at the end of each day and it will be there the next day. Delete it when you're done.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 21, 2010 in: Time estimates
  • PeterW 
Yes, there is a "Length" field that you can turn on via the Customize feature. This accepts time entry in minutes. You can then use the search function to filter for tasks of a certain length.
PeterW 

Score: 2
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 2
@Transisto,

Here is a link to the Help file regarding use of the Start Date field: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=64

If configured, tasks with a start date will not be shown until the start date arrives. If you have Toodledo setup this way, you should see a message like this at the bottom of any list where tasks have been hidden:
"3 active tasks are hidden due to your filter settings. Turn off filters."

If you click on the link "turn off filters", these tasks will appear. And there is a link on the filters toolbar at the top that enables you to toggle display of these tasks (Show/Hide Future Tasks).

Lastly, if you never use the start date field then you can turn it off in the "Customize fields" screen. This will prevent you from accidentally setting a start date.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: struggling with Due Dates
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 20, 2010
Hi Brett,

Welcome to Toodledo.

If you haven't read David Allen's book "Getting Things Done" then I'd recommend starting there. It will kick you off in the right direction.

To answer your specific question about due dates, it depends! The distinction about hard due dates is important. You want to avoid assigning due dates to tasks that simply do not have to be done by that date.

An appointment with my doctor is a hard date on my calendar - it's set and I can't miss it (certainly don't want to if I'm sick). A task to clean to screen wire on my windows at home won't have a due date. I may want to do it this coming weekend but it's not essentials so I don't assign a due date.

I use Toodledo for everything, appointments included. I will also add some of these things on an Outlook calendar when it's a meeting involving others because that's how my office does things. Personally though, I use Toodledo to drive it all. The Outlook calendar is just an extension.

I'd recommend avoiding the use of due dates on tasks where there really is none. All you end up doing is rolling them forward continuously and also stressing yourself out by feeling overwhelmed with what you've set yourself to do.

There's so much more to discuss on this, and many forum members here will be happy to help, but you really should get yourself a copy of David Allen's book - it will all become clear, and it's a fun journey.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: notes of completed tasks
  • PeterW 
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Hi,

In case you haven't seen this thread, it has been noted by a number of users that completed instances of repeating tasks do not keep the contents of the notes field.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/6299/-1/notes-of-completed-tasks.html
PeterW 

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: Does Repeat after Completion Work Yet?
  • PeterW 
I don't know when you last asked about this so can't say if anything has changed since, but I think you can sort of get what you want now.

If you set a task to repeat either monthly or bi-monthly, and also set a start date, the task will be hidden until the start date arrives and the start date will move along with a repeating task.

So provided you are OK with getting your haircut monthly or bi-monthly (which are the only repeat intervals available close to your six-week requirement), you'll be able to keep yourself from looking like a hippy.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: Sorting tasks
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
I have Toodledo set in Multi-Line view which only displays the task name on the left and one other field on the right (aside from the default icons).

For the field on the right, I want to see 'due date' as it is the most relevant. To get due date to display, I have to sort in due date order.

If I sort by any other field aside from Importance, the field on the right is the field used for the sort order. So for example if I sort by Context, the field on the right displays Context.

However when I sort by Context, the dividers display the Context so it seems pointless for the field on the right to also display Context. It would be much more useful to display the due date. The same situation applies when sorting by Tag.

Is this something you could fix?

I trust the above makes sense. If not, I can post screenshots.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: color coding
  • PeterW 
Looks good.

There are also some user-developed Stylish scripts that color-code tasks based on priority and due/overdue status (Stylish is a free add-on for the FireFox browser).

Have a look here: http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/toodledo.com
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 19, 2010
@Brian - there is a sort button on the right hand side of the top bar of the sidebar (i.e. the bar below the Toodledo logo that shows "Top > Folder > ..." etc.

You only get one sort order in the sidebar so tasks might not sort exactly as you see them in the main Toodledo window.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 18, 2010
Then I'd suggest disabling any add-ons you have one-by-one because one of them must be the culprit.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 18, 2010 in: Windows 7 security
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 18, 2010
I've used the Windows firewall on Vista and Win7 and never had a problem. I always purchase a third-party antivirus program though - I've seen the Windows free one get breached on a computer at our office.
PeterW 

Score: 5
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2010
  • Score: 5
A lot has been discussed in the past about the handling of Projects in Toodledo. Many users utilize parent tasks with sub-tasks for this and some also use folders.

After trial and error and reading the Help file, I've come to the conclusion that keeping tasks "flattened" is the best way to operate because it ensures that sub-tasks will appear in the Hotlist if they meet the criteria. However, the one thing missing is that it isn't immediately clear which "project" (parent task) a sub-task belongs to.

I realize that it is currently possible to click on the sub-task icon to display the parent task, but I think a better way would be to provide an option to display the parent name with the subtask so that it is immediately apparent which tasks are project-related.

Some competing task management solutions handle it this way - the parent (project) name is displayed in a slightly smaller gray coloured font alongside the task name (or sometimes it is displayed in white text in a gray reverse block.

This would need to be displayed on the main line of the multi-line view, and for grid view could be a field the user could turn on/off and position wherever they like.

I realize that you probably have advanced plans for the UI upgrade and can't tell us a timeline etc etc, but can you advise if this is definitely something that is on the radar for improvement soon? Project handling enhancement is soreley needed.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
I don't think this is possible - as far as I can see, file attachments are a web-only function at this time.

You might need to consider an alternative such as DropBox.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Thanks for the update. My Appigo Todo setup is basically identical to what you've done in Toodledo. Although I like how Todo puts the Focus list on the home page along with "All Tasks" so I kind of get the best of both worlds.

I used to have Todo set to autosync on startup but I found that a bit annoying - I usually fire it up because I want to quickly add an item while on the run. Having the sync start up automatically prevented me from doing this so now I do it manually, but don't find this a problem at all. Having a sync button on the dock helps.

The other thing I really like about Todo is projects - I find the single tap to access sub-tasks so much more intuitive.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 17, 2010 in: Enhancement Request: Usability
  • PeterW 
I agree with this one - it can be confusing.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 17, 2010 in: Can we help create themes for Toodledo?
  • PeterW 
@Kelly,

I like the idea of a template engine for users that would enable visual improvement without the need for coding/scripting.

Meanwhile, in case you were unaware there are a number of user-developed scripts available that provide visual enhancement for Toodledo. These scripts have been written for use in the FireFox browser running with an add-in named Stylish although they can also be installed in Google Chrome. Getting them setup is fairly straightforward.

The list of available themes are located here:
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/toodledo.com

A few that I think are very good are "Toodledoish" and "Toodledo Me Too".

This message was edited Jun 17, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 17, 2010 in: Toodledo for iPad / iPhone version 2.0
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
@Transisto - yes I agree with you about the scrolling. I prefer the entire home page to be displayed without scrolling.

Although I am still using Appigo Todo for day-to-day use because I prefer the interface, so this issue isn't affecting me. Appigo has a dock at the bottom with buttons so it also loses a bit of screen space, but it has an option to hide folders. By default there are 4 fixed folders displayed on the Appigo home page (All, Focus, Starred & Inbox) and there is enough space below that to display 4 user-defined folders without scrolling.

I actually have 5 folders defined on Toodledo, but Appigo has an option to hide folders. So I hide one of my folders (Reference) as I rarely need to look at this while mobile. That way I get a home screen that doesn't scroll!

Here is a screenshot: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjmm1960/Appigo%20Todo.jpg

This message was edited Jun 17, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Jun 17, 2010 in: AAND The Best Task Manager is....
  • PeterW 
I would add "configurable interface" or something like that to the list. For example:
* you can create & name your own folders
* you can sort your folders into a custom order

This provides many possibilities for users. For example:
* you could make Toodledo as simple (one folder/list) or as complex (many folders/lists) as you wish
* folders can be used for a variety of purposes, e.g:
 - large areas of responsibility (e.g. work, personal)
 - work functions (e.g. admin, accounts, customers, vendors)
 - GTD system (e.g. Next, Projects, Waiting for, Someday, etc)

I think this is one of the features that makes Toodledo such a gem - it is very flexible and does not limit you to a rigid structure as some other systems do.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next