ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Aug 27, 2012 in: Ability to make a subtask into a task
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2012
  • Score: 0
What can I say... It's been a year! I need to do it more often. :)
Salgud

• Salgud
Thanks! I didn't try dragging to the left, which worked. I only tried up and down. It definitely doesn't work dragging it up or down as it never shows the thin red line between tasks (unless the adjacent task is a subtask), only the grayed task that it will become a subtask of. I'm using FF 14.01 in Win2000. But dragging to the left is good enough.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Aug 27, 2012 in: A TD Grocery List
  • Salgud
Fortunately, this is not a feature I needed. If I have budget concerns, I just add up the rounded up/down prices in my head.

Some of the iPhone apps have this. If you search for "Shopping" in the App Store, you'll see dozens of them. The problem is, finding one that isn't garbage. I always check user ratings before I research further, because is most users don't like the app, it's almost always because it has serious problems.
Salgud

• Salgud
I always assumed this was possible until I tried to do it this morning. I tried to click and drag a task out from under it's parent task and make it a task. TD wouldn't allow it. It would only allow me to make it a subtask of another task. Not a huge thing, but definitely a PITA. Is this on "the list"?
Salgud

Posted Aug 27, 2012 in: Colour of View Screen
  • Salgud
Not at this time.
Salgud

Posted Aug 26, 2012 in: A TD Grocery List
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 26, 2012
  • Score: 1
I got fed up with all kinds of problems with the iPhone app, SplashShopper, which I had used for a long time, even back to my Palm days when it was HandyShopper. But development had stopped a while back and is slow and clunky by today's standards.

Why did I choose to use TD as my grocery list? I needed a few key features that I had trouble finding in a single app after a couple of hours searching the App Store (reviewing only highly rated apps). The features I needed were:

1. Multiple stores per item - I shop for groceries in 4 different stores, 2 King Soopers (one on the way home from work, the other closer to home), an Asian market and Costco. Many of the items I buy overlap these stores.

2. List sorted by area in store (making it easier to shop. Some apps have a aisle number feature, but that only works in one store. Since I shop in so many, I decided it would be easier to have store areas, like produce and meat and canned goods, that would apply in any store.)

3. A "Weekly" list for items I buy virtually every week that I can easily add to my list.

4. I want to be able to easily add a new item without having to enter each item and all it's attributes individually, since one of my major complaints about SS is that it took quite a few clicks to add a new item. In TD, I can just clone the item and make the necessary changes.

5. I wanted backup for my master shopping list as I have lost it in the past, and with over 200 items, it tasks a while to recreate. Most of the iPhone apps that have this capability require the purchase of a desktop app for $20. Since some of the apps themselves cost $10, this seemed a little excessive for a grocery list.

The only app I found that had almost everything I wanted was ListPro ($5), but for backup, it requires a $20 Windoze app and, according to the reviews, had a pretty steep learning curve.

So I decided TD had all the features I wanted, was free, and YIPPEE!, no learning curve other than the time it took to figure out which fields to use to get what I wanted. And I also knew it is stone reliable.

So here's how I set it up. It was simple.

I created a new TD account. A free one works fine for this.

I created a folder for each distinct area of the store: Produce, Meat, Frozen, Breakfast, etc. These areas are not necessarily how I think of them, but where they occur in the store. Then I created a Context called "Weekly" and Tags for each store (so more than one store for each item). Assigned the Weekly Context to the appropriate tasks. That's it.

Before I go shopping, I run down the appropriate store list and star the items I want. I can do this online or in the iPhone app. (Don't use the Completed checkbox for anything.) I have a Saved Search for context Weekly on the cloud app and I just Multi-edit to Star them. If I forget to do this at home, it's a few clicks on the iPhone app to select the Weekly context, and then I have to Star them one at a time. Still pretty easy & quick.

I select my Starred list, sort it by folder and filter by the Tag for the correct store. Voila! I have my in-store list, and as I move through the store, I move to the appropriate folder in my list.

I used it at the store today to test it out. Worked great! Just like I wanted it to.

It does what I want, it cost me nothing, took very little time to set up since I already know TD and I have my shopping list. It works as well and any shopping app I've ever used. Just proves how flexible and powerful TD is!
Salgud

Posted Aug 26, 2012 in: Native Mac App?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 26, 2012
I've never heard of any plan to make any native desktop app.
Salgud

Posted Aug 25, 2012 in: 2 accounts on iPhone
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 25, 2012
I have 2 TD accounts, the second one I set up for keeping a grocery list. But when I went to switch over on my iPhone, it is warning me that I have to unlink with my regular work-related Pro account, and that if I reconnect, I could end up with duplicate tasks if I reconnect, which, obviously, I don't want.

Basically, I wanted to test TD as my grocery shopping app using the new free account. If this worked out well, I would get a third party iPhone app to access my TD account. But if TD doesn't work out as my grocery shopping app, I want to switch back and not have to remove duplicates of the 270 tasks in my current list.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How likely am I to get duplicates? Would it avoid this problem if I purge the iPhone data after I unlink and before I connect to the other account?
Salgud

Posted Aug 17, 2012 in: Competitors
Score: 5
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 17, 2012
  • Score: 5
Thanks! This took a lot of cojones, to put yourselves up against your competitors like this.

I think this is a great idea. I made some additions and will make more as time permits.
Salgud

Posted Aug 17, 2012 in: Task Dependency Status
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 17, 2012
To quote Dilbert's boss, when asked how he came up with the time estimates for the tasks on his departmental schedule, "I started with the assumption that anything I don't know how to do must be easy."
Salgud

Posted Aug 14, 2012 in: Create a search for tasks due this week
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2012
Or, if you only use it on Friday, create a saved search for tasks due in the last 7 days. On Fridays, that will be the past week.
Salgud

Posted Aug 10, 2012 in: It's not me!
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 10, 2012
I can't just say "Thanks" anymore so I have to write this long drawn-out sentence to say "Thanks" so that the forum will accept it and not hassle me by telling me my reply is too short. I sure hope this is long enough! ;)
Salgud

Posted Aug 08, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 08, 2012
Posted by Folke X:
Salgud,

I think your system seems good :-)

Thanks! It's good to know it stands up to an expert's scrutiny.

I saw already the first time that your Start date is used for a good purpose, so the reason for my question was not really related to your system but to your person. You seem to have given all this quite a bit of consideration and I wondered if you have any practical experience of using "fake" manual sorting using a data field, which I have not tried myself.

I have thought about it, and read others approaches. But I haven't seen anything that looks doable. I don't want to spend any more time tweaking than I have to.

FYI, in Linenberger's case the Start date field is not really used much as a date, mainly as a mechanism upon which to base the automatic sorting such that the relative order remains "manual". By default new tasks are added with today's start date. This means you get the newest tasks on top, and older ones further down automatically. Only when you want to change this default relative position of a task do you need to fiddle with this "phony" historical date to move the task up or down. (But for future dates the field represents an actual "defer review until" date). I would have listened to your practical experience with great interest, knowing you have a sharp mind.

Yes, I am a bit of a pinhead. ;)

I hadn't heard of that system before, but it doesn't appeal to me because sorting newest to oldest is almost the opposite of what I want. Of course, the "age" of a task is, at least in my system, not important. I have tasks that have been hanging around for a while, which usually get relegated to my "Deferred" list with a "Someday" status, because I want to keep my Hotlist relevant. In any case, that particular method doesn't have much appeal to me in my system.
Salgud

Posted Aug 08, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • Salgud
Posted by Folke X:

I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) I am very fond of having "endless" priority levels, which essentially coincide with a tentative starting order, and utilize this as the fundamental ordering principle for the tasks, first things first. The natural way to do this is by manual drag-and-drop sorting, which is not available directly in Toodledo, but there are fairly good workarounds such as fiddling a bit with the start dates (Michael Linenberger's method, MYN). I thought this sounded good, but I have not tried it. I am curious whether you have tried it and what your impressions were.

I haven't tried that, for 2 reasons. One, I already use Start Dates for tasks taking longer than a day, or ones I at least want to be notified of a day or more ahead of the due date. So they're not "available" to use for sorting.

Two, I'm sure I'd find fiddling with dates to get the sort order I want to be frustrating and time consuming. And once I got them "right", something would happen to change the order, and I'd be fiddling with dates AGAIN. Even without trying it, this sounds like an endlessly frustrating process to me.

That said, it'd be nice to have a manual sort capability, though it's not a major priority item for me.

With any man-made system of any kind, I constantly remind myself that it is a representation of reality, not reality. In TD, this is a representative list of what I am planning to do, and constantly subject to change. Therefore, any extensive effort on my part to try to make this "list" into a "model" I resist, even though I may have the impulse. IOW, to quote Dwight D. Eisenhower, "Plans are meaningless, planning is everything". Of course, it is strictly a personal preference.

2) When doing projects, what method do you use for moving subsequent actions up the ladder and become actionable? I assume it is done manually, during your review, but do you have some clever tagging or similar means to guide you faster to those projects that need your attention in this way? Or do you perhaps keep it all visible, as tasks and subtasks, and simply ignore the subsequent ("still-not-possible") subtasks based on their position?

I keep the tasks in my projects in order since that's easily done by drag-n-drop. Whatever is up next, I elevate from "Active" to "Next Action" during my Weekly Review, or during the week when I notice I have no tasks showing (I use "Indented" format for subtasks most of the time, which means no subtasks show under the project name if none meet the Hotlist critera). I sometimes have 2 next actions for a given project, never more. Next Action tasks with Due Dates, or after their Start Date, will appear on my Hotlist (custom) automatically, as will undated Next Action tasks. So there is no system other than me managing my list as I work.

I hope this answers your questions. It certainly helps me to think through my system and the basis for it, which often leads to improvements!
Salgud

Posted Aug 08, 2012 in: Saving changes to tasks - How
  • Salgud
I've notice lately that when I mark a task complete, I find it showing a few minutes later, not marked completed. And no, it's not a new iteration of a repeating task.
Salgud

Posted Aug 08, 2012 in: It's not me!
  • Salgud
I checked out my FF plugins. They installed Office 10 on our machines this weekend, and it installed about 6 plugins, so I disable most of them, at least the ones I didn't think I would need. Are there any you'd recommend I leave active besides the Media Player ones?
Salgud

Posted Aug 07, 2012 in: It's not me!
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2012
I thought I was going crazy the first time this happened, but it's happening again this morning. When I try to scroll down in a view that is longer than what fits on the screen, it scrolls back up automatically! It scrolls down while I'm scrolling, but as soon as I stop scrolling down, it scrolls back up to the top! Weird.

I'm using FF 14.0.1 on Windoze XP SP3. I think I'll close and restart FF after I post this and see if it helps.

Edit: Didn't have to restart FF, when I went back to my Tasks view from the forum, the problem was gone. For now.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 06, 2012
Actually, I don't use the WR template anymore, I've made the WR parent task to repeat weekly every Monday, and the subtasks to "repeat with parent". So the template is only there unless I somehow delete the repeating version.
Salgud

Posted Aug 02, 2012 in: Hide based on time
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 02, 2012
Many updates in the last two years, just not that feature yet.
Salgud

Posted Jul 31, 2012 in: Show "no due date" tasks on Hot List
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2012
I'd like to see Saved Searches on the iPhone version, but I'm afraid that's a ways off. I use the TD on my iPhone almost exclusively to enter a task when I'm away from my desk, and occasionally to check status. But without Saved Searches, it's almost useless beyond these simple functions.

If TD would make the Hotlist totally customizable, and show that on the iOS version, that would be a huge step forward, and not just for me, but for many others. (Hint, hint!) :)
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next