ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Apr 30, 2012 in: Charging for Sub Tasks a bit naughty
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 30, 2012
  • Score: 0
Very much WORK IN PROGRESS here, isn't it?

You mean, like every other software package available?
Salgud

Posted Apr 26, 2012 in: My Trusted System
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 26, 2012
  • Score: 1
@kralon

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention in my post that I also have a "project", a template, of all the steps in my Weekly Review which includes other steps not involving looking at TD views, like reviewing weekly goals, etc. And this list is what appears in the "Weekly Review" Saved Search. Doing it this way has cut the time it takes me to do my WR in half.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Apr 26, 2012 in: Repeat Till Due Date
  • Salgud
@mraeeslateef

This is best done using a Saved Search. There are a number of ways to do it. You might want to look at my post in the Tips and Tricks forum titled "My Trusted System" and check out the screenshot via the link in my post. The search criteria for the Hotlist I created, which is very different from the TD Hotlist, is there.

Of course, there are many other ways to do the same thing, but this might give you a starting point or at least some ideas.
Salgud

Posted Apr 26, 2012 in: My Trusted System
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Actually, Peter, I don't think in terms of tasks counts as such, so I don't really notice that issue. When my Hotlist is too long, I Star them as I mentioned above. So the counts of tasks in each category would add no value for me personally, though I understand they would for others.
Salgud

Posted Apr 25, 2012 in: My Trusted System
Score: 6
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 25, 2012
  • Score: 6
I've been using TD steadily now for almost 2 years. I hate to admit it's taken me this long to develop a "trusted" system. At least I can say I have worked on it only sporadically, and a couple of times, I thought I had it, only to find a serious flaw later. The key word here is "trusted". My biggest concern is that I can lose tasks in all of this and miss an important deadline. So I've spent a lot of time in the last 2 years looking for that "missing task", and, all to often, finding one. Not good.

I should mention that I'm not a GTDer, though I have borrowed from David Allen in some instances.

At one point, I had a pretty workable system, but it depended on my Starring my daily tasks out of long lists, a tedious and inefficient process at best. I wanted something more automatic, so I overhauled it yet again.

One of the keys came when someone posted their system, which included using "Next Actions" and Due Dates as a means to get tasks to automatically appear on my personal version of the Hotlist when they are due, or on their Start Date. This is especially helpful with repetitive tasks, of which I have quite a few. Now that I have my system working, they just "appear" on my Hotlist when they are due.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/tdhotlist.jpg/

The image above shows my Hotlist (not the same as TD's), which basically filters to Next Action or Top priority tasks whose Due Date or Start Date is before today. I use Start Dates very sparingly, only for tasks that I need to Start prior to the Due Date to get them done on time.

I pretty much "live" in the Saved Searches view, so I've recreated some of the canned views that already appear elsewhere to avoid having to leave Saved Searches. I have the screen space available in the left side menu area, so why not minimize having to go elsewhere in TD?

I also have a list of views I use to do my Weekly Review. I used to click around on the various views I use, but I had to refer to a list in my Notebook, and constantly be switching back and forth between my Notebook and my tasklist to know which one to look at next. Hence, the views labeled with "WR - x abcd". Now I just run down through those views to determine which tasks get elevated to Next Action status before doing my final review in my Hotlist. I had 2 targets when I developed these views. 1, that they be shorter than a page long (I'm ADHD and my eyes glaze over if the lists get very long), and 2, that there be as few views to peruse as possible. I had hoped for 5 views, but rule 1 was more important and I ended up with 7. Two of them, "WR - 2 Delegated & Deferred" and "WR - 7 Active w/ No Due Date" sometimes run longer than a page because I don't really get to decide how many of these there are at any given time. I can live with that. I also tried to minimize "overlap" between views - I don't want to have to review the same tasks over and over. Of course, I use these views for other things besides just my WR.

I use the following fields:

Status - Use most of these pretty much as intended.

Context - I do things for a lot of people here, so I track who I'm doing something for.

Tags - used sparingly to identify smaller specific efforts I do or resources I use.

Locations - Not at all as intended. I plan a lot of meetings for a large project we're doing, and when I get the location set, a major milestone, I enter that in the Location field so it is prominent in my "WR - 4 Mtgs" list and I can tell at a glance which ones have locations, and which ones I need to find a location for.

Folders - major areas of responsibility and top level for major projects.

Priority - Most tasks are 2. Less urgent get lower. 3 is used sparingly for very urgent tasks, which, thankfully I seldom use. I'm lucky, my boss rarely firedrills me! -1 priority is for template tasks.

Star - On occasion, my Hotlist gets too long, say more than 7 - 8 tasks (I have a lot of 10 - 20 minute tasks, so it's not that bad). When this happens, I star 5 tasks and work on those until done or waiting for someone else, then star a few more until the Hotlist is more reasonable. Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often.

Projects and Meetings (Mtgs) are really the same as far as TD is concerned (parent/sub tasks). I separate them by tagging all meeting related tasks with "Mtg". This creates 2 lists in my WR, but keeps them less that a page long usually, and is easier to keep straight in my mind what I'm reviewing.

I hope this post is useful to some. I welcome positive feedback and am always willing to improve my system, though at the moment, I'm hoping there will only be small tweaks for a while, at least.

I want to thank Jake and the TD team for giving us a very flexible and powerful tool. Of course, I can also blame Jake and the TD team for TD so flexible that it's taken me 2 years to sort this all out! :)

I want to gratefully thank the contributors to these forums. Without your help, I never would have gotten to this point. There are a lot of very sharp individuals using TD and it's a pleasure to learn from them. I hope I've given something back, and that this post will add to that effort.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Apr 25, 2012 in: sorting by due time on smartphones
  • Salgud
I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it. :)
Salgud

Posted Apr 25, 2012 in: sorting by due time on smartphones
  • Salgud
ToodleDo "works differently" on different platforms because the only native smartphone app is the iPhone app. If you're on Android or WinMo you either have to use the slim version or a third party app for that platform. The various third party apps that sync with TD each sync with only certain TD features. So, for example, one might sync the Status field but not Location, and another the other way around. Even the native iPhone app doesn't yet sync with all of the web-based TD, like Length or Timer. So any smartphone app is a compromise.

That said, the iPhone app does have the ability to sort by Due Date/Due Time, I just checked it.
Salgud

Posted Apr 24, 2012 in: MYN system Training Videos
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 24, 2012
Thanks, Mike, I'll give them a try from home.
Salgud

Posted Apr 24, 2012 in: Adding notes in grid view
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 24, 2012
I believe that if you're seeing the Trash icon at the extreme right, then the notes icon must be there over to the left side, just to the right of the Action icon (gray circle with the curving arrow in it). Do you see that?
Salgud

Posted Apr 23, 2012 in: MYN system Training Videos
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2012
I tried the first 4 or so of the "Preview" videos, but none of them is working in either FF or IE8 at this time.
Salgud

Posted Apr 23, 2012 in: Search for a word in Notes
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2012
I have a different workaround, though it still takes some effort. I have a saved search called "TaskTagNote", which has 4 criteria:

Checked Off - No
Task contains - =
Tag contains - =
Note contains - =

When I want to search for a word, I open this search, click Modify Search and replace the "=" with the search term, then do my search.

Having a universal search that includes notes would definitely be better.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Apr 20, 2012 in: Siri and Toodledo
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2012
Posted by jesse.perkins:
Or if only the emails from iMessage worked

Didn't know you could send emails via iMessage. How do you do that?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2012
I hope that one is near the top. I only use my TD iPhone app to enter tasks because it doesn't have my Saved Searches, which is where I live in TD.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2012
I highly recommend the following website to anyone wishing they had more time:

http://zenhabits.net/the-beginners-guide-to-zen-habits-a-guided-tour/
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2012
Great site, cabbage!
Salgud

Posted Apr 16, 2012 in: Push back all tasks by two days
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2012
The multi-edit tool will only work on tasks that have the same due date that you wish to postpone to the same new due date. You can search for all tasks due today, and multi-edit their due dates to Wed. But there is no way at this time to select a bunch of tasks with different due dates and postpone them all by 2 days.
Salgud

Posted Apr 13, 2012 in: Tab behavior change
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 13, 2012
Strange. I tested it in IE8 and it tested fine.
Salgud

Posted Apr 12, 2012 in: Subscribing with iCal gone haywire
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 12, 2012
TD doesn't create "events", it can only create tasks, so it must be some other app creating those all day events in your calendar.
Salgud

Posted Apr 11, 2012 in: Calender View Disappeared
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2012
The Calendar View is in the list of different groupings of views in the upper left corner.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2012
I've been in and out all day, haven't seen any outages at all.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next