ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by mco"
mco

Posted Mar 18, 2010 in: Sort by Tag on ToodleDo iPod App?
Score: 0
  • mco
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2010
  • Score: 0
If you chosen to display the tag field (in settings), then you can sort by it.
mco

Score: 1
  • mco
  • Posted: Mar 07, 2010
  • Score: 1
> As far as keeping emails accessible and synched in different locations, I still have not arrived at what really works well for me.

Do you use imap? This is the easy standard email protocol to do this. I use it with three computers and an iphone. I'm not sure about AOL, but if it doesn't support imap, you should stop using it.

p.s. Dropbox has an iphone app. Works fine.
mco

Posted Feb 28, 2010 in: Appigo Todo now better for GTD
  • mco
  • Posted: Feb 28, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
I'm not sure what you mean about contexts, tags and folders, ToDo lets you quickly filter any view by context and or tags so if you want to see tasks by context, it's a one click filter from any view, including all or some or one folder(s). If you're talking about being able to filter so that a task with tag x OR context y OR Folder z, shows up, to me that's counter intuitive and not really following GTD. It's not abut being "pretty", For me, anyway, it's about having the cleanest, fastest UI without a bunch of extra stuff, that's not GTD anyway. There is nothing wrong with Toodledo's app at this point but I think it kind of reflects that it was designed to FOLLOW the web app on the iphone where ToDo was designed with the iphone in mind FIRST. Also, if you use projects ToDo is obviously better at handling them.

Actually, for the iphone folks ToDo is not considered pretty at all, 2Do is much "prettier" :)

If I am viewing things by context and wish to switch to viewing by folder, it's a multi-step process. I have missed important information in Appigo todo because I did not realize at the time that a context was also being filtered by folder. In other words, I don't find the UI fast and clean, but clumsy.

The same holds for projects: I don't want to see a project on a context list, and have to go inside the project to see next actions.
mco

Posted Feb 19, 2010 in: Appigo Todo now better for GTD
  • mco
  • Posted: Feb 19, 2010
Can somebody explain to me what's so great about Appigo Todo? It's pretty, sure, but I hate the way you have to think about Context AND Folder AND Tags. I prefer viewing by Context OR Folder OR Tag. It doesn't support all of Toodledo's functionality, and the fields it does support you can't hide. From a GTD point of view, putting projects on context lists with next actions hidden inside removes some of the point of having simple next actions on context lists. I really prefer the Toodledo app, although I do wish it had an easy way to jump past nested menus.
mco

• mco
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2010
The new permanent link feature allows me to focus on a project and its subtasks in 3 clicks:
click the permalink, click to expand subtasks, then click to show "items hidden because of search". This is great, and will really make subtasks workable for me.
mco

• mco
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2010
I think whether you would be happier with OmniFocus than Toodledo depends strongly on the nature of your work and how you prefer to go about it. I have tried many times to use Omnifocus (I have both the mac and iphone version) and have reverted back to Toodledo each time. OF's strengths are also its weaknesses:

* Sync is very careful not to lose data, but occasionally tells you that your database is not compatible with the sync database, and must be replaced. This is particularly annoying on an iPhone if you are out and about. Sync is still very slow on the iPhone, although sync times have been improved. Sync times go up quickly if items are moved around.

* OF has a lot of features, and a correspondingly complicated user interface. While it is possible to customize the ui, it always seemed to me to require trade-offs and consequences I wasn't happy with.

* The data structure appears flexible, but in fact is not. Actions must be in projects, period. I often have tasks that I want to assign to an area of focus, but not to a project at the time the task comes up. The only way to do this is to have a folder, say Admin, containing a special single-action folder, called say Admin, in addition to projects within the Admin folder.

* I find assignment of an item to a project unpleasant. When you begin to type an entry, you start getting suggested matches. So in the example above, if I typed for a project "Ad" I would get all the Admin projects, including "Admin:Admin", the single-action "project" list. If you had a project called AA, it would show that too, because it also looks for acronyms. I think the implementation in Things is much better, with a drop-down navigation tool that lets you quickly steer an item to where it needs to go.

* While you can have sub-tasks, a task with subtasks will not itself appear on a context list if all subtasks are done. This takes aways some of the value of the planning features of OF: if you finish all the subtasks, it's up to you to notice that this task (really a project component) needs attention. Although OF will find stalled projects for you, it will not find stalled sub-projects.

* Clipping, which seems attractive, easily becomes a nuisance for me. It bulks up the data to be synced, and leads to a blending of actionable and non-actionable items, and consequent breakdown of the system.

All that said, OF is a sophisticated, reliable program. If you want or need to spend time planning out most of your project steps in detail, this is a good program to try. You will need time to adapt yourself to OF. On the other hand, Things and Toodledo probably appeal more to more people, judging from their relative popularity. My ideal program would probably be a cross between Toodledo and Things.
mco

Posted Dec 22, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
Score: -1
  • mco
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2009
  • Score: -1
Posted by shiva:
Has anyone figured out how to get this accomplished on iPhone. The sort for create/modified date doesn't seem to exist on the iPhone. Or am I missing something?

You're missing it. You can sort by date added or date modified using the sort button in the lower left corner.
mco

• mco
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2009
I switched this year to 24" displays at both work and home, and I am very happy. The larger screen makes it much easier in working on manuscripts where I am looking at a pdf, a text editor, and perhaps another window (web, graph, mathematica). The larger screen is also good for seeing calendar in one window and task list in another. I don't know if I would be as happy with two smaller screens, as this seems to me to be more suitable for monitoring one thing while doing another.
mco

Posted Oct 02, 2009 in: Notes on Iphone ?
  • mco
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2009
There is a 3rd party product, Appigo Notebook, that does this. It's quite decent.
mco

Posted Aug 09, 2009 in: What would you suggest to a beginner?
  • mco
  • Posted: Aug 09, 2009
If you are interested in the Getting Things Done approach, I would encourage you to try simply using contexts, using Home, Work, Out, et cetera. Use one context for Projects, or perhaps 2 for Projects Work and Projects Personal, and have a Someday/Maybe context. This is what David Allen suggests, and after years of fighting it, I find it is really is the fastest and easiest way. I do find it is essential to have my project support materials NOT in Toodledo. For that, I use Evernote. In any case, the best thing about Toodledo is its adaptibility. As long as you keep your next actions and projects in good shape, you can fiddle with everything else, and only waste time. :)
mco

Posted Oct 08, 2008 in: Toodledo on the iPhone
  • mco
  • Posted: Oct 08, 2008
Good start, but there are some problems. Didn't find a more appropriate place for them, so here they are.

BUG: the todo description field does not correctly use the magnifying glass to move the cursor in the field. The few times I was able to move the cursor away from the end of the line, no editing was possible. Because I use long descriptions and often modify them, this is a big issue for me. I would prefer a multi-line editing field.

BUG: when editing a todo, if the display is scrolled to the bottom, i.e., so only the notes field is showing, the display no longer scrolls.

ISSUE: autosync is no good when reception is poor. manual sync is better for me.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4