Folke X

Posted Nov 21, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 21, 2011
  • Score: -1
Thanks, bottomley.cs

Yes, it makes sense.

Over the years, I have come to use my (current) to-do app (e.g. Toodledo) as a repository for all kinds of notes that I want to have easily available, even from the phone. In addition, I have regular files on my computer, of course, and I have some stuff on Google Docs, but that's it, really.

I have come to see many disadvantages in using a to-do app for all these various kinds of small notes (it gets messy), and have been thinking about starting to use Evernote or something (whatever is suitable) more systematically, and then to clear out all history related stuff from my to-do app, but I have not quite gotten around to making that shift. And I haven't thought through what it is I really need.

Evernote is impressive in many ways. Workflowy, too. There is probably a whole bunch of tools, but it is kind of hard to choose one as long as I am so unclear about exactly what I would want to use it for. "Peace of mind and good order" is a bit vague, but I have not managed to define it any better yet :-)
Folke X

Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2011
  • Score: 1
PeterW:
I don't know if this helps, and you may have tried it, but I have found that using ("abusing") the Goal field is one way to handle projects. It takes a bit of tweaking to get all the smart lists right, and you will probably find that you need a special tag for the "mother task", but overall I find this approach workable (as a workaround, anyway).
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 15, 2011
I have had that too, I think. Just wait for a while - you are not allowed to keep synching all the time. And you can change your PI settings to sync automatically only at startup (instead of at shorter intervals).
Folke X

Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2011
  • Score: 0
Actually you do not have to replace anything in the URL. If you use the browser version and click on a note, then just copy the whole url just as you would with any other web page. It works for me, anyway.
Folke X

Posted Nov 13, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2011
@bottomley.cs

Yes, I have signed up for workflowy as well and I am really quite impressed with it - simple and good - but I have not yet really started using it. My initial thought was I might use it for sharing lists (plans, agendas, do lists etc) with other people with whom I share no other obvious application. With workflowy they do not even have to sign up for an account or anything, so you can use it with absolutely anyone who has a browser (and you can share different things with different people and you can control whether they should have read-only or edit access). It all seems very practical.

What did you yourself START using it for?

What other apps have you been able to eliminate since starting with workflowy? Or in what areas have you found it meaningful to depend significantly less on other apps - which apps? Or are you using workflowy mainly for things that you did not do before?
Folke X

Posted Nov 10, 2011 in: Sort by date
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 10, 2011
I agree that there should perhaps be a user option for this, but I remember having this problem all the time maybe 10 years ago (in some other system), and I couldn't find a way to satisfy my needs either way. It turned out that I needed additional differentiators, because some of the "untimed" tasks I wanted to have first and some last. But maybe my memory fails me. Anyway, now I never sort by due date. I select (search) by due date and status etc and sort by something else, say status or project (goal) etc. to keep my "Today" list in a reasonably neat order.

What I would like to take the opportunity to say at this point, though, is that this particular problem is just one of many that could easily be solved if Toodledo would choose to implement a mechanism that I have suggested a few times already here in this forum:

Solution: Searches with custom dividers (custom list sections), where each section could be given its own search criteria and its own sort critera.

In your particular case, then, the solution for your "Today" list would perhaps look something like this:

1) first section:

divider text (section title) = "Anytime today"
sort order = Priority (or whatever you like)
selection criteria:
due time doesn't exist AND due date is before tomorrow OR Starred Yes etc etc (selection criteria as usual)

2) second section:

divider text (section title) = "Appointments etc"
sort order = Due date
selection criteria:
due time exists AND due date is today etc etc (selection criteria as usual)

To me this seems like such a powerful and useful mechanism, and like such a small and natural extension to what Toodledo already is, that I am a bit surprised that Toodledo does not implement this as soon as possible to face all those competitors who have drag-and-drop sorting of their lists already implemented.

(Drag-and-drop sorting is probably "impossible" for Toodledo to implement given the fact that Toodledo's menu system - lots of built-in standard lists and unlimited saved searches - is so large that the total number of such manual sorting sequences would then also be large and unwieldy both for the system and for the user. Or am I wrong? Otherwise, manual drag-and-drop sorting obviously is also a powerful alternative, which would allow you to even move some of the "untimed" tasks in between the fixed appointments, which is definitely very realistic and "tasty".)

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 09, 2011
+1
Folke X

Posted Nov 07, 2011 in: Best iPhone App to use with Toodledo?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2011

This message was edited Nov 07, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Nov 07, 2011 in: Best iPhone App to use with Toodledo?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2011
The new version of Pocket Informant (2.0) is out. So, does it have saved searches? Well, yes, but ...

PI now does have something called smart groups, which is, in fact, an implementaion of smart list functionality, also known as saved searches. So, "Yes ..., but:"

These smart lists do not however have any direct relationship with searches you have created and saved on Toodledo's web site. Instead, they are local, standalone searches on the phone, that must be created (reacreated) there. But that's not so bad. Worse is the fact that you do not have the same extensive range of selection criteria available, which means you cannot necessarily reproduce the exact same saved searches on the phone that you have come to depend on here on the website.

Furthermore, you cannot get these smart groups to appear at "the top", within convenient reach at all times. They are hidden away in "a dark corner" (submenu), probably intended more for occasional reuse than for constant reuse as your "personal main menu". (This is the same problem that we are seeing here on Toodledo's web, but at least here on the web you work from a larger screen and can see all your saved searches (your "personal main menu") with relative ease as long as you stay within Search.)

This message was edited Nov 07, 2011.
Folke X

Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2011
  • Score: 1
Didn't see any "II", so I can't comment on that.

But you are terribly persistent about this, aren't you. I's a real shame. Everyone is just thinking about their own good - only I seem to be thinking about my good.

This message was edited Nov 04, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2011
You're almost right, of course, except that I am the Most Important Customer. How could you possibly have missed such an obvious fact?

(But maybe I = I. That sounds like valid math, doesn't it. Maybe we're saying the same thing?)

This message was edited Nov 04, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Nov 02, 2011 in: The alarem cheackbox not apear
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2011
It appears automatically in the pop-up box that comes up when you want to specify a due date.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2011
Yeah.

I think part of the problem is the fact that there is such an enormous number of feature requests representing such a vast spectrum of "user styles" or "task management philosophies".

Honestly, when I read the forum, in probably more than 90% of the cases I think "Why would anybody ever want that. It's a dead end". Conversely, whenever I suggest something that I think would save my day, and perhaps save Toodledo's bottom line, too, I seldom get any favorable responses. And there is nothing strange about this.

Of course the reason for all this is the fact that we are all different, and we all use Toodledo in a way that suits our preferences and our personal capabilites to come up with the best usage of Toodledos features for what we believe to be our needs and our most fruitful avenues to satisfy those needs.

But I have wondered many times (and even brought up in some posts, at least indirectly) whether it would be possible in a meaningful way to classify users in a few broad categories of "task management approaches", each having slightly different needs. If such a categorization were feasible, then it may also be feasible to develop whole kits of features - along with usage guidelines - for each category, and possible for Toodledo to get paid for these feature packs separately (different "Pro" add-on packages).

As an example of one major difference that I have noticed between users is:

Queue-and-reviewers
People who want to get things on the list, but wish to continually and manually adjust what is going to be done next (because they pereceive their life/work to be too fluid to be planned ahead in too much detail). GTDers are in this queue-and-review camp, and so are many others. I am one of those. Personally I like to add various elements of "automatic attention-bringing" to a pure GTD approach, but I do rest firmly on the principle of reviewing and rearranging my lists.

Schedulers
People who want to nail down the exact time slot for everything directly (because they perceive that their life/work is predictable enough to allow them to do so). I suppose the main reason why these users want a to-do list rather than a regular calendar is the fact that you can check thing off, have reminders sent etc.

Hesitators?
I sometimes get the feeling that some wish to use the system to actually decide for them what to do. By assigning dates, priorities and many other data values, they seem to be hoping that a the most rational decision possible about what to do next will pop up automatically. (This probably is not a true description, but you sometimes can get this impression.)

These approaches implicitly call for different menus (views), different fields and hierachies, and different funcionality for finding and filtering and sorting and so on.

Obviously there are many other differences as well between different users, for example whether you use Toodledo alone or as a team, for large projects or small ones, etc etc., but if it were possible to categorize the usage and create specific setup packages and/or Pro packages for each, then we might find a way forward. Usage guidelines for each intended use would help many, and probably would reduce the number of feature requests - as I believe many of these requests stem from the present need for users to invent their own wheel from scratch. (For example, even the basic default menu has no explanations. Where am I recommended to start my day? Under Folders? Tags? Important? Due date? And then what, if I want to look ahead a bit? Or add a new project? Under what view am I recommended to do this? And what fields am I recommemnded to use for what purpose? If there are additional menu setups, each one needs such a guidleline.)

The question now at hand, sub-folders, really boils down to how one might wish to organize his or her data - for what purpose in the workflow. We are talking about hierarchy. Hiearchies could (theoretically) be implemented for all fields (tasks already have a sub-level, and to some extent goals, too; folders are proposed in this thread, and contexts, locations, tags and task names could also have hierarchies). Hierarchies can be very useful and they can also cause confusion.

The question is, perhaps: What are subfolders needed for? To achieve what? In what kind of task management approach?

But personally I don't mind if there are sub-folders - I won't get confused ;)

As an alternative that you might wish to consider (that I use currently for hierarchical purposes) is to name my tags as groups of tags sharing a common prefix. Then in your saved searches you can select those that begin with a given prefix, to get a rough filtering, and then in the Show filter you can select any particular sub-tag, to avoid having to have each filtering saved as a separate search.

This message was edited Nov 02, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 31, 2011
Petra,

I agree with you completely. Not having saved searches makes it almost useless. Unfortunatetely, as far as I know, no third party app has this either.

If you are a GTD person you could try one of the GTD apps instead. Since they have a whole different menu structure from the very outset, you tend to rely less on saved searches (smart lists) - you get a useful menu setup straight out-of-the-box. And since these GTD menus are obvioulsy part of their entire "system" they are also available in their slim and iPhone versions as well. The drawback with these other apps, though, e.g. Nirvana, is that they are generally less "mature" and tweakable than Toodledo.

A reflection:
I also depend entirely on saved searches. My whole system is built upon saved searches. But when you read this thread it becomes obvious that some people do not even know what they are, and have not discovered their power. They start confusing saved searches with normal ad-hoc searches, i.e. searching for some perhaps misplaced task that has a particular text string in it etc. That kind of search is also very useful, but it is a totally different thing than saved searches. In other systems the "saved searches" generally are more aptly called smart lists, smart views, custom views etc., as they are, in reality and intended use, an alternative and complement to all the built-in views in the standard menu. I have suggested that the saved searches in Toodledo be renamed custom views, to make their power more obvious to new users. I have also suggested that the main menu be user configurable such that these custom views, that the user depends on, can be put first in the menu. This is particularly important in the slim and iPhone versions.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Oct 30, 2011 in: Project List?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2011
A project list as such (as per GTD) is not in Toodledo's built-in menu structure, but you can easily create one in the form of a saved search.

It seems Toodeldo users use either:
- task + subtasks
- or goal + tasks
- or tags
to handle their projects.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 23, 2011
I just want to let everybody know - I don't know why I missed this before - that there is a workaround to this:

I have activated the default reminder emails from Google Calendar. I have set the time interval to 15 hours, which is a compromise thats suits me fine for now. (You also need to activate email reception here in Toodledo)

Events will turn up prefixed with the word Reminder, and the date/time is in the Notes only, but still I find it useful. 15 hours warning is usually enough, and it is not all that much work to manually enter the date/time (if I want to - but my hotlist is done in such a way that these events turn up anyway).

The main thing is it does not matter anymore if I forget to look at my Google Calendar. If an event was planned more than 15 hours ago I automatically get it into Toodledo in time; and if it was less I tend to remember these anyway or I can enter them in both systems if I want to feel really safe.
Folke X

Posted Oct 22, 2011 in: Wow, I am loving the improvements
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2011
Toodledo is way ahead of anything I've tried in terms of its sheer number of features and "tweakability". It is far from complete, that's for sure, but most other task managers are significantly less complete.

The advantage of GTD apps such as Nirvana, Smartytask, Conqu and so on is that they manage to produce approximately the same usefulness straight out-of-the box with only a fraction of the features, mainly because the menu and displays are set up in a more directly useful and user-friendly way - if you want GTD, that is. And probably there are other apps out there that are better straight out-of-the-box for those who are more the "scheduling" kind or the "project manager" kind. The disadvantage of these apps usually is that if you are not quite satisfied with what they offer out-of-the-box they cannot be tweaked as extensively as Toodledo.

The strength and weakness of Toodledo is its very "computerish" "general data base" approach - "Here's a bunch of fields for you; you can view by this or view by that or view by that, whatever you like, and if that's not good enough for you you can play with your stuff in a sandbox called Search". To some (apparently) the default lists are just what they want (e.g. sort by due date etc).

But it seems that GTDers, project managers, schedulers and other "categories" of users have more specific visions of how they would like it. They ignore the default lists and set up their own system within the system, using saved searches to get more pertinent functionality than just listing and sorting the tasks by one particular field at a time.

I personally believe, and I've said so before, that Toodledo could increase its popularity by allowing users to design their own left-side menu by being able to put their own saved searches in there at the top and move the others out. That should be relatively simple.

Another move, a larger and more difficult one, but potentially more rewarding at the same time, would be to make Toodledo more intuitively appealing to more people by having a few complete out-of-the-box Settings options for the entire left menu. The current "database" menu (Toodledo Classic menu) could be one, and there could also be a GTD menu, a project management menu, etc, along with basic get-started tips to new users for each one of these menus as regards its intended use and pros and cons (compared to the other available menus), what fields to use for what, what lists to display when doing what, etc.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2011
I also use PI.

In PI you have to seelct one of three modes - Toodledo, Franklin Covey or a third one. I don't know if itt matters for the sync but I suppose it is safer to use Toodledo mode.

Then you just have to enter your Toodledo useernam and password (and likewise for GCal if you are using that.

Then for syncing preferences there are various timing - they all work.

There is also a reset - to reload everything from scratch from Toodeldo into the phone. This might be a good idea, too, if something has gotten stuck.
Folke X

• Folke X
So how do you want the to appear in GCal? As all-day tasks?

Anyway, I have tried some before. (search gcal start date)

Posted by Folke X:
Here are the results:

Task 1: Start 2 pm, Due 4 pm
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

Task 2: Due 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 12 pm - 2 pm

Task 3: Start 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

For the tasks using due date/time I used the default setting "due by" (there are three other optional settings available)

I also have some tasks of my own that are encoded as due at 11 pm (nothing else; no start; no length). These show in GCal as events 11 pm - 11 pm in the numerical event info, but as a half hour block in the visual "day" diagram.

Notice the last section above!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
@jonicdao
I see that, too, sometimes, with Pocket Informant, especially if I check off more than one tak in rapid succession. It could well be PI that's at fault, not necessarily Toodledo.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next