ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Qrystal"
Qrystal

Posted Aug 13, 2008 in: Percentage Complete
Score: 0
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2008
  • Score: 0
I use the notes field for that, personally. I find it much more useful to EXPLAIN why something is only half done, instead of just noting that it is the case.
Qrystal

Posted Aug 13, 2008 in: LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2008
But Toodledo doesn't *require* payment! I honestly don't use the pro features much at all!
Qrystal

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: A4 Booklet
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2008
Maybe what I do could be helpful to you folks..?

I don't use the booklet, because I simply don't like it much. It's a cute idea, sure. Maybe with some more customizability, I'd use it, but for now: nah.

I use index cards. I pick a few views I want to print (usually various contexts I might be in throughout the day, perhaps a project folder...) and I set up my printer preferences (shrinking to fit the paper size, etc) and presto! Perfectly customizable and durable pages I can bring with me anywhere. Clip the cards together ala Hipster PDA, and you'll be rockin'! :P
Qrystal

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: Context and folder by URL?
  • Qrystal
OH! So, to customize, we just make saved searches, and bookmark the URLs for those saved search tabs?!?

A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
Qrystal

Posted Aug 07, 2008 in: LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
  • Qrystal
I went and posted anyways, despite it being Thursday morning already. Who knows when they'll cut off the votes, right? :)

I am glad I had left a comment there once before. That time, it was to vote for Toodledo in something else. :P
Qrystal

Posted Aug 04, 2008 in: [request] contacts managment
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2008
I would love to have a great way to store my contacts and info too, but I really don't like it when applications meant to do one thing start trying to do something else completely different from that thing. It usually just means it's another feature to ignore, or worse, to dislike because it took time away from the further development of the original app....
Qrystal

Posted Aug 04, 2008 in: Complete a task
  • Qrystal
Heh, I left another task manager because its checkboxes were to select, not to mark as complete, and I thought THAT was unintuitive! :)
Qrystal

Posted Aug 04, 2008 in: More 'obvious' Running Timer
  • Qrystal
Yes, this would be really awesome, and I was just coming here to suggest something similar. My problem is, I often forget to stop the timer, only to find out days or weeks later that hundreds of hours have been accumulating!

For work-related tasks though, I tend to use another timer altogether: http://Paymo.biz

It has a web-based and a desktop app, and great tracking of time spent doing various things. It definitely keeps me focused on the task at hand!! :) At the end of a lengthy task, I go to the Paymo.biz website to find out how many hours I should enter into the Length field in Toodledo.
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Wow!!! What a great idea! I might just have to try this! :) Thanks for sharing.
Qrystal

Posted Aug 04, 2008 in: Notebook
  • Qrystal
In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the Content tab.

Near where it says default font, click [Advanced]. Check the font sizes there, particularly the size for monospaced font (since that is what's used in the text entry boxes of concern).

Hope that helps!
Qrystal

Posted Aug 04, 2008 in: A few small updates
  • Qrystal
Posted by Toodledo:

2) And another hard to explain bug fix that probably nobody noticed anyway.

HAH! Too funny! :D
Qrystal

Posted Jul 31, 2008 in: GTD and due dates
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2008
Posted by InfoJeff:
What if you just do NOT set a due date in ToodleDo unless it is a HARD deadline?

Then I wouldn't get the benefit of being able to set recurring tasks, and that is something I find tremendously useful.

Some of my recurring tasks might work if set to be "optional", and maybe that's part of the answer. I'm sure I'll try that soon!

And as for the printed booklet, I've actually had much more luck just printing from the web interface onto index cards... but it's much faster to just jot down what I need in pencil. My time away from a web browser is rarely complicated enough to warrant more effort than that.

Thanks for the thoughts on it though! :)
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Ah, thanks, and I'd say that IS a good reason for the completion date not to be editable yet!

I totally agree that it isn't a big deal, and I'm sorry if I was making it sound as if it was a bigger deal than it actually is. I just passionately feel that Toodledo is the best task manager I've ever seen, and am overly keen on seeing it get even closer to perfection.

And no thanks, I do not need to take up your time by having you manually edit the task. Please just keep up the good work you're doing!

Also: thanks for putting up with so many of us asking for so much! :)
Qrystal

Posted Jul 31, 2008 in: Importance Level
  • Qrystal
Posted by Toodledo:
A task that is due today is more important (because it must be done today) than a higher priority task that does not have a due-date (because you can do it whenever). This is why we have make the importance calculation give slightly higher weight to due-date.

So, let's say I have a task due today such as mowing the lawn, but I also have a task that can technically be done whenever, such as submitting my application for a Business License, but that I consider very important and thus High Priority. The current Importance calculation essentially requires me to give it an artificial due date in order to keep the Importance ranking sane.

That's not so bad, of course, because the artificial deadlines do keep me on my toes. However, it is disheartening to so often see things Overdue, and to have to keep tweaking those artificial deadlines. I've considered using the ?-modifier, but the tasks aren't exactly optional, it's just that the due date is flexible.

Perhaps, then, the problem is as I was describing elsewhere in these forums: just that there isn't a way to distinguish between actual "hard" due dates, and artificial or "soft" due dates.

I'm not sure what to suggest for that though, or else I would be suggesting it! :)
Qrystal

Posted Jul 31, 2008 in: Showing Overdue in Today list
  • Qrystal
There's also the Hotlist... I find that it works extremely well as the One List I work from. I had to tweak what it shows, via the Account Settings, until it showed exactly what I needed, but now it's perfect! I'm always behind too, and so most of the things on the list perpetually say Overdue, but it also shows things that are due Today and due soon.
Qrystal

• Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 29, 2008
Thanks. I am tempted to peer into the API to see what it would take, but I don't actually use the Date Completed fields all that much, because they are so often wrong for so many reasons... like if I don't check in at Toodledo for a few days, which is often the case on the weekend.

I don't exactly understand why modifying the Date Completed is not permitted. Would allowing this seriously complicate the workings of Toodledo? You allow so much flexibility in so many other fields; why must you be so strict about the Completion date?

And if modifying the completion date were possible, it would also be possible to extract a subtask that has been completed more than 1 week ago. There may be other great advantages to this too!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 29, 2008 in: Importance Level
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 29, 2008
Maybe the "infantilizing" aspect of this would be reduced if the Priority setting was given more weight in the formula. Perhaps just replacing "2+P" in the formula by "2^(1+P)" would help. In other words:

Importance = 2^(1+Priority) + (1 if Starred) + (Due Date modifier)

With this change:
Priority -1 results in a +1 to Importance (since 2^0 = 1)
Priority 0 results in a +2 to Importance (since 2^1 = 2)
Priority 1 results in a +4 to Importance (since 2^2 = 4)
Priority 2 results in a +8 to Importance (since 2^3 = 8)
Priority 3 results in a +16 to Importance (since 2^4 = 16)

Thus, something of Top Priority (3) is immediately escalated to the top of the Importance list, no matter what. Something of High Priority (2) can't compete with something of Top Priority, because the highest Importance score a High-Priority task can get is 8+6+1 = 15, and that's only if it is seriously Overdue and Starred.

Because it is so easy to tweak Priority settings, they really should be able to have much more power than they currently do, because they can be so helpful in determining what should be done next! I, personally, like the Importance scale and find it really useful even as it is, but I have occasionally wished I could have a bit more control over it. A scheme like I've described above might be just the thing that's needed!

Another thought is to leave Starred out of the formula. If the Star's main purpose is to give us a way to look at a list containing only the Starred items, there's no real need to change the Importance rating because all items in that list will be changed by the same amount.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008.
Qrystal

• Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2008
I am doing a review of this writing project, and still finding it difficult to overcome this issue.

I'm so proud of actually completing one section, I don't want to lose that Date Completed status!

I hate to bug ya, but is this field going to be editable anytime soon? If so, I'll just go ahead and make a note to myself in the Note field of the actual completion date, uncheck the task so I can move it out from the parent task, and recheck it.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: Toodledo AIR app
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
This happened to me too. Right-click on the task name on the taskbar, select Move, and then you can use the arrow keys (or I think even the mouse) to move it on-screen.

In other news: the app itself didn't work well for me at all. Almost anything I did rendered the window blank. I only toyed around for a few minutes before giving up. (I'm on Windows XP, and another AIR app I use frequently --twhirl-- works just fine.) Sorry I can't be much more help.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: GTD and due dates
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate the assurance. I am feeling more and more confident that my own system is evolving in a way that IS working great for me.

Interestingly, your advice indirectly made me realize that I should be very careful I'm not over-analyzing, as I so often do! :) It was either David Allen or Merlin Mann who said something like: the system is there to support the things that need to be done, not the other way around. The point of GTD is Getting Things Done, not Organizing Things Nicely. :P
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next