ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by saskia.x"
saskia.x

Score: -1
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2010
  • Score: -1
I like what Nozbe have done with Evernote, although the way Toodledo works is a little different so I'm not sure the same kind of integration would work in Toodledo. However I'm sure there's some equally ingenious way that Toodledo could integrate with Evernote better.

I'd love to see a good Android app as I'm about to get an HTC Hero.

And Gears, of course!
saskia.x

Posted Jan 12, 2010 in: Task emailing + Permalinks
Score: 0
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2010
  • Score: 0
Ooh, I like the permalink option. I can see this being helpful for all sorts of things. I'll probably even include links to tasks within the notes of other tasks for things that are somehow connected to each other, which will mean I can represent the complexity & interdependency of tasks more accurately (& usefully).
saskia.x

• saskia.x
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2009
Hi! I understand your pain; I think everyone goes through an awkward "teething process" while they find a system that suits the way they think and the type of tasks they have to do. I'm afraid to say it's unlikely to be a one-off process, you'll probably be tweaking for a while before you find the right one for you. If it's any help I'll let you know how I'd do it if I were you; it might not suit you but hopefully it'll help give you a few ideas. Rather than repeat myself, I'll direct you to my previous posts outlining the basics of how I map GTD onto Toodledo:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1825/-8338/folders-tags-context.html (my post is second from the end)

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/1357/-7322/official-ways-to-use-goals-in-toodledo.html (mine is the last comment in the thread)

For the kind of project you outline above, I would probably use short term goals to represent the overall objective (e.g. write inventory system), then use tasks/subtasks for each of the subprojects.

I prefer using tasks with subtasks rather than folders or goals to represent GTD-style projects (i.e. any task that should be broken down into a series of actions) as they are more flexible, can have due dates, and can easily be created "on the fly", whereas folders seem more suited to broad, unchanging areas of focus/responsibility like "home", "work", "family" etc. These levels (sub-task, "project" task & folder) are roughly analagous to David Allens first few "Horizons of Focus", and work well for day-to-day use of the task list.

Short term goals can be used to represent those large scale projects that are too complex to outline in only two levels (tasks/subtasks), like the one you give in your example. I equate goals to the higher level "Horizons" in GTD. So short term goals would be the key things I want to achieve over the next few weeks to a year (GTD's 30,000 feet "goals & objectives" level), long term goals focus on the longer term "visions" (40,000 feet in GTD), and lifetime goals are the 50,000ft "purposes and values".

This all maps pretty easily onto Toodledo, & makes it a nice neat system that fits well with how David Allen lays things out in GTD.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2009
If you're using multi-line view, the note icon is the little piece of paper with a plus sign in a green circle on the bottom line of each task.
saskia.x

Posted Jul 15, 2009 in: We now have a Gmail gadget
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Thanks Anders! That icon has been there so long that I'd stopped noticing it - I didn't really use the sort function before since I only really wanted to sort by importance.

Ahh, it's so nice to finally have my hotlist sorted the way I want it without having to open the full website!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009.
saskia.x

Posted Jul 08, 2009 in: We now have a Gmail gadget
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
2) It is now possible to sort by "Importance" and "Status".

I'm not sure if I'm being really dumb, but I can't work out how to change the sort order! Proximo mentioned something about an icon hidden under the breadcrumbs, but it's either completely hidden or not there for me. I had expected it to be something in the settings, but nothing there either. This is disappointing as I've been wanting to sort the slim version by importance for about a year :(

Hopefully it's just me missing something!
saskia.x

Score: 1
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Jun 03, 2009
  • Score: 1
Posted by Anders:
Posted by Toodledo:
Anders: Both of my statements are accurate, I just don't have a consistent way of naming my buckets. In my brain "Toodledo" is a project, a folder, and an area of responsibility. It's all the same to me.

I see. After making my post, I realized that I don't exactly use only tasks as projects. A few of my Folders could probably be considered Projects as well, and it really comes down to semantics.

I think the term "Areas of Focus" probably covers this better than "Areas of Responsibility"; the folders represent the big, overarching focal points of my life at the time, many of which never change (e.g. family, home, etc), whilst some are more temporary "uberprojects" (e.g. moving house) which require an entire folder to themselves. It takes a lot for a project to become an "uberproject", though, and the distinction is not always totally clear-cut (although it always seems very clear-cut in my head!); they are generally the kinds of things that will take up a sizable chunk of my life, will generate many sub-projects, and will be ongoing over an extended period of time, especially if they seem to cut across several areas of responsibility.
saskia.x

Posted May 15, 2009 in: 24 Ways to Improve Toodledo
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: May 15, 2009
Posted by Anders:
In terms of selecting tasks for multiedit, I think a separate selection "box" or whatever should just appear next to every task when multiedit is opened(if it were available everywhere). It could be an on/off switch or something like that to further avoid confusion with the regular check boxes.

Why not something like ctrl+click to multi-select tasks? That is the combination used in many other apps & operating systems for selecting multiple items, so it seems like the intuitive option.

Posted by stuarts28
15/ Needs the ability to have tasks/projects etc in different colours

I'd quite like the option to use colours too. I really wanted this when I first started using toodledo, but I'd got used to not having them so I'd kind of forgotten about the idea. I use the folders for what I sometimes call "uberprojects", similar to GTD "areas of focus", and these categories are consistent amongst most of the things that I use to organise my life. In apps that allow it I use consistent colour coding for these "uberprojects" too (e.g. gmail, gcal), so it would be nice to have it in Toodledo (although admittedly not exactly essential!). I'm not sure if I'd want the entire task in a different colour, though, perhaps just the folder name, or maybe even have each checkbox with a different background colour?

Posted by stuarts28

6/ Needs drag and drop - ie Their is no drag and drop for adding a task to a folder

Another feature I'd like to see. Sometimes dragging and dropping can be the quickest way to reorganise things, so it would be very nice if we could drag tasks to one of the tabs at the top of the screen (or to a divider when tasks are sorted by certain criteria) to reassign it.

Posted by stuarts28

19/ Put a additional 'T' next to 'Classic' on every page so you can see what you have to do 'Today' [...] In that way you could go through your list quickly in your weekly or Daily review picking a whole longer list of tasks that you would ideally like to do

You could accomplish something similar with tags and a saved search. I used to do this, using a "*" as a tag to mark those I aimed to do that day, although I've now changed my system a bit so I don't use it any more. However, I like the idea of having the ability to add extra views to the end of the views list. There is a greasemonkey script called "ToodleDo Favorites" (http://userscripts.org/tdFavorites) which does something like this, but I found it a bit annoying as it adds an extra line under the views menu & two little "+" signs on each tab, which just takes up too much screen space for my liking. So I now just use my browser bookmarks to achieve the same thing (right click on any tab, including saved searches, and save as a bookmark).

This message was edited May 15, 2009.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
As someone who has been using Toodledo for about a year and a half, I can testify that I have never lost any data in Toodledo, and they do seem to be quite a reliable company from what I can tell. I don't think any company could ever swear to never lose any data, but I do trust Toodledo to look after my data much more than I trust many other companies. Of course it's always a good idea to take backups occasionally, with any electronic data, wherever it is stored.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
Posted by lite1:

to see a task I have to scroll horizontally.

This doesn't happen in mine either! It should function just like the firefox sidebar extension (all of them are based on the same "slim" interface), so if you are seeing something different in the iGoogle gadget it might be some kind of bug.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
I'm very pleased to hear that sorting out the sub-tasks is near the top of the list of priorities!

I just wanted to chime in mostly with regards to the refreshing issue. Personally I'd prefer it if this didn't change (or if it was a user-defined option); I like the fact that the recently added tasks sit at the top of the list until you refresh, and the checked off tasks remain on screen too. It makes it much easier to "undo" things if you've made a mistake, or edit things if you've thought of something to add or change.

And I also have to agree that the responsiveness & honesty of the developers is one of the things that makes Toodledo great! Yes, there have been things that have been sitting on the list of "most requested features" for a very long time, but they've always made it clear that most of these things are a lot more complicated than they might seem, and besides, a good developer shouldn't just respond in a knee-jerk fashion to every single user request. The customer isn't always right; sometimes users want things that are incredibly complicated to implement, sometimes they just haven't worked out that they can easily accomplish the same thing with the existing features, sometimes there aren't enough users who want the feature to justify it, and sometimes the developer just has to stick to their own vision of the product. But, as RTM have shown, you can take this kind of thinking too far! I think Toodledo has the balance about right; listens & responds quickly to user requests, but makes sensible "executive decisions" about what to prioritise. Go Toodledo!
saskia.x

Posted May 07, 2009 in: Toodledo Slim Application
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: May 07, 2009
I've just started using Prism for this purpose too; like Proximo I find it too easy to get distracted if I have a full webrowser open unnecessarily, so Prism's very handy to keep me focused!

I had experimented with Bubbles, a similar app to Prism but with the advantage of a scripting facility that lets you add extra functionality (they have a number of pre-written scripts available on their site, e.g. the gmail bubble has notifications, and the Google calendar one has a right click menu on its tray icon that takes you straight to different calendar views. My favourite is "SlimTimer" which is a time tracker with notifications that pop up at customisable intervals to remind you what you were supposed to be in the middle of doing - very handy for distractible people like me!). I think it should be possible to write a simple script that allows you to add a task by right-clicking on the tray icon & perhaps add some menu items that take you straight to various views within Toodledo. Unfortunately, Bubbles doesn't seem to agree with my computer and regularly crashes (luckily the SlimTimer one seems relatively stable), so I've given up on the idea of creating a script for a Toodledo Bubble for the time being, but I'm keeping an eye on it in case they iron our whatever bugs are causing the problem.

There seem to be many satisfied users of Bubbles who don't appear to suffer these crashes, so it's worth checking out if you think this kind of thing would be useful. I can definately recommend the SlimTimer bubble for anyone who wants a simple, user friendly time tracker that has the option to regularly remind you what you were supposed to be doing! (if you want these reminders, make sure you download the version *with* notifications)
saskia.x

Posted May 06, 2009 in: Integration with Evernote?
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: May 06, 2009
Posted by Anders:
if I could find something on the web that immediately required a new task, and just clip it to evernote and have it sent to Toodledo with the clipping as a note.

My next project for this script is to add a hotkey that allows you to do something like this (but probably with one of my "pseudo-links" in the note rather than the actual clipping). I'll post it here when it's done (although I can't promise when that will be as I don't have a lot of time at the moment; I'm not really supposed to be on this forum right now!)
saskia.x

Posted May 06, 2009 in: Integration with Evernote?
Score: 2
  • saskia.x
  • Score: 2
Hi, I don't know if this will be of use to you, but I wrote a little AutoHotKey script that lets me select any text and send it to Evernote as a search term. This lets me create pseudo-links to things in EN.

So if you want to link a task to something in EN you simply put the appropriate search term (e.g. the note or tag name, or anything else EN lets you search for) in the task notes or title (I usually use the format "EN[search_term]", but you can format it however you like). When you want to follow the link, you select the text and press the hotkey to send the text to Evernote. I have to admit, though, that I haven't written many AHK scripts, so I can't promise it'll work perfectly for everyone (although I can say with almost 100% certainty that it shouldn't do any damage). Occasionally I've noticed it doesn't seem to actually copy the selected text, but pressing "ctrl+c" seems to trigger the rest of the script to finish (if anyone more experienced with AHK cares to have a look and work out why this might be it'd be much appreciated!). I've also found that if any AHK script mysteriously stops working properly you can generally get it going again by exiting and then relaunching the script.

You need to install AutoHotKey to make this work (something I'd recommend anyway as it's a handy little app and takes very little memory). I have set the hotkeys to be either ctrl+shift+F6 or LeftMouseButton+F6 (F6 is the shortcut used in EN to jump to the search box, so it seemed appropriate; the choice of the mouse button or ctrl+shift was intended to make it even more effortless since you don't need to remove one of your hands from whatever you've just used to select the text). If you want to change the shortcut keys, you need to edit the part that says "~LButton & F6" or "^+F6" (make sure you leave the "::" in after the hotkey, though). Consult the AHK documentation if you're not sure how to do this. I have a more detailed version of this script which I have posted at http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7161&p=38397#p38392 if anyone's interested.

Create a new text file and paste the following text into it, then save under whatever name makes sense to you, ensuring that you give it an ".ahk" extension.

;*********************************************
;search EN for selected string - mouse version
~LButton & F6:: ;hotkey - hold down left mouse button & press F6
clipboard = ;Empty the clipboard
sleep 100
Send ^c
sleep 50
ClipWait ;Wait for the clipboard to contain text.
WinActivate, Evernote ahk_class ENMainFrameWindow ;activate EN window
Send {F6}
Send ^v
Send {Enter}
return

;***********************************************
;search EN for selected string - keyboard version
^+F6:: ;hotkey - ctrl+shift+F6
clipboard = ;Empty the clipboard
sleep 100
Send ^c
sleep 50
ClipWait ;Wait for the clipboard to contain text.
WinActivate, Evernote ahk_class ENMainFrameWindow ;activate EN window
Send {F6}
Send ^v
Send {Enter}
return
saskia.x

Posted May 06, 2009 in: subtasks only go down one level?
  • saskia.x
I used to use MLO too and I initially missed having deeper levels of hierarchy, but looking back I think the deep nesting got a bit messy and wasn't really necessary in most cases. I actually prefer the structure of Toodledo now, although it would be nice to have one more level of subtasks. I'd also like to see some kind of task dependency like in MLO too, something like "complete tasks in order" would be great!
saskia.x

Posted May 05, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: May 05, 2009
I use a system a lot like arthur's, and it works very well for me. IMHO subtasks work much better for projects than folders do, and it just sort of seemed obvious that folders should be areas of focus, but to each their own!

I would, however, LOVE to see some kind of basic task dependencies; just something where I could tell Toodledo that one task has to be done before I can start the next one, so that I don't get unactionable tasks popping up in my task list all the time.

I used to use MyLifeOrganised a couple of years back and I seem to remember that it had a feature like this; I think there was an option you could set on a task by task basis that said the subtasks should be completed in the order in which they were displayed. I think there was also a choice about whether the parent task should be hidden until the subtasks are complete or not. It'd be great to have something like that in Toodledo.
saskia.x

Posted Apr 23, 2009 in: Someday/Maybe Lists and iPhone Apps
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, I think setting it up *exactly* like GTD wouldn't be helpful to people who don't use a GTD based system. With a bit of experimenting, though, it's perfectly possible to set up a GTD system in Toodledo. If you can be a bit more specific about what it is that you're having trouble doing, maybe someone on the forum can help you.

I don't do GTD "by the book", but I have used it as the basis for my system and most of my organisation of Toodledo is done around GTD concepts. I do have the Pro version, though, which I think helps a lot as you can use tasks/subtasks as projects/actions, which makes it easier to manage projects properly (especially for things like converting a task to a project when you realise something isn't a real "next action").

I've found that Toodledo is incredibly flexible and can adapt to most systems pretty well; that is the beauty of it, and I wouldn't want to change that!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
Re: offline support

I know that Gears support is planned, but apparently it's pretty complicated to implement due to the underlying architecture of Toodledo, and would require quite a major rewrite to make it work. So don't expect to see it any time very soon, but hopefully it will happen at some point in the not too distant future!
saskia.x

• saskia.x
I'm not sure I'd want to hide the fields I'm not using in each task; as the others said it's useful to have access to these fields in case you decide to fill them in.

However, I do like Thomas's idea of a kind of "hybrid" view half way between grid & multi-line; I'd been thinking about something similar myself. I normally use multi-line, but I wish I could see just a few more details by default so I don't have to keep toogling the details on and off. Quite a lot of my tasks have longish notes so I don't want to have details toggled on all the time, plus I like each task being on one line since it makes it easier to skim down the list. However I need to have details toggled on more often than I'd like in order to see their attributes, so if there was a way to show my most commonly used fields on the same line as the task name that would be the ideal solution.
saskia.x

Posted Apr 16, 2009 in: Design
Score: 1
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2009
  • Score: 1
Have you tried the Stylish/Greasemonkey script posted in this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/105/0/skinscsscolor-theme-for-toodledo.html (look for the post by andy, about halfway down the page)?

It's not dramatically different, but it does give Toodledo a slightly "cleaner" look.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next