ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Score: 2
I understand the need to generate revenue. Moving people from a free plan to a paid plan is one way to do it. But simply removing features is a slippery slope. Toodledo has a host of competitors and their free plans offer forwarding emails into them, a note section for each task, and integration with 3rd party tools.

The pricing of the paid plans is high when compared to competitors. The $60/year price for the middle plan is double what Todoist charges.

I teach organization & time management. Showing people how their lives will be easier with a digital task manager is an important element of my message. Toodledo has given people an on-ramp to the world of digital task management.without them spending money for something they are unsure of. People's eyes light up when they see how they can finally get control of email by taking all of those messages that are tasks in disguise and forwarding them not only to their task list, but to a particular date on that task list. They could have a real tool, have it instantly, and have it for free. Yes, they can pay and get subtasks, collaboration, etc. But Toodledo has given people a solid platform. Unfortunately, it looks like I am not going to be able to recommend Toodledo in the future if the plan that arrived in my email today goes through.
DrFrankBuck

Score: 0
The ability to email into Toodledo is huge. I have taught countless people how to get control of their email, and they universally love the ability to send the email to-dos to the task manager (and I always teach Toodledo as the task manager to use).

Likewise, being able to do the reverse (email out of Toodledo) is a great feature. The issue is that only very limited amount of information from the note section can be included in the email.

Could you look at extending number of characters allowed when emailing a task out of Toodledo?

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

If you use Chrome on a Windows, I would like for others to try this and see what results you get.

Having a date stamp or date/time stamp is huge. For example, when the task is "Call Jim" and I get Jim's voicemail, it would be great to be able to click in the note section and add a date/time stamp. That way, when I have left him 10 messages and he claims he never heard from me, I have an easy record of all of my attempts.

I have used “Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome,” a free extension. (You can get it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-text-expander-for-go/iibninhmiggehlcdolcilmhacighjamp )
I assigned a shortcut of “ds” and expansion of %d(MMMM Do YYYY) to produce a date stamps
A shortcut of dts and expansion of %d(MMMM Do YYYY, h:mm A) produces a date/time stamp

To go a step further, I used a keyboard shortcut of “VM” and expansion of Left voicemail message %d(MMMM Do YYYY, h:mm A) so that I could enter VM in the note section and have it expand to "Left voicemail message August 31st 2018, 7:38 AM."

If this topic is of interest, here is a short demo (actually created to show an issue to which I found the answer): https://www.useloom.com/share/03f0eb9f872a4fbda5d2b2e450848a60

HERE IS THE CURRENT ISSUE: What I have described worked beautifully in the old Toodledo interface. It works flawlessly in Gmail and other aspects of Chrome. However, over the last year in the new Toodledo interface, sometimes the text expansion works and sometimes it doesn’t. I cannot put my finger on the inconsistency.

I am hoping some others will see the value in having the date/time stamp (or any other text expansion you want to use in Toodledo), will add the extension and see what results you get.

The text expansion has proved so valuable I really would like to figure out an answer. If anyone wants to discuss offline, my email is Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org.
DrFrankBuck

Sam,

Here is a newspaper article I wrote on Toodledo. (I write a weekly article on organization/time management).

https://www.annistonstar.com/the_st_clair_times/frank-buck----toodledo-amazing-powerful-choice-for/a rticle_33f327e2-2178-11e8-a186-4bbe65909997.html

You are free to pull information from that article. Also feel free to contact me Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org if you would like to arrange a time to talk by phone.

I have been using Toodledo since 2012. I had been using a BlackBerry and syncing to Outlook. When I moved to an Android device, I left Outlook in favor of a cloud-based productivity suite. Toodledo replaced Outlook tasks. I wrote about that process here: https://www.frankbuck.org/from-outlook-to-toodledo/

I know this does not line up with the questions. I have learned not to spend too much time on an "all call" where the information submitted may not be used at all. If what you see from the links in this reply stands out, I can provide photo, additional info.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 06, 2018 in: Toodledo Unscheduled Maintenance
When Toodledo wouldn't come up for me, the first thing I did was to go to Twitter. Nothing posted on the @Toodledo account. Please learn from this. We use Toodledo because it's the best thing around. It doesn't get nearly the press it deserves. But what's out there today is because of the lack of information from the company.

It's far better to communicate on the front end. I just looked at what's on Twitter right now, and it's not pleasant.

Speaking of Twitter, could you share with is what's behind this tweet? Looks like someone with a motive: https://twitter.com/priacta/status/1026475909451313155
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 08, 2018 in: Android App-Links not working
In the Android app, links in the attached notes are no longer clickable.
This feature was there, then it was gone. I posted about it on the forum and it was fixed. Now it's missing again.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 07, 2018 in: Future Plans
Jake,

Thanks for building a great product. Thanks also for your responsiveness in the forums. I look forward to continuing to see you comment as you join the ranks of the rest of us: enthusiastic Toodledo users.

Frank
DrFrankBuck

I like the "z" shortcut, which opens all tasks so that Notes field is visible.

When I opened Toodledo today, it opened with all of the Notes field showing on all notes. A quick "z" closed them all. But when I refresh the page or close and restart Toodledo, they are all open again.

How do I regain my normal start view: Tasks displaying but the Notes field closed?

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 23, 2018 in: Android App Update v6.4.0
Jake,
Just wanted to follow-up on this point. I am referring to the Android app in this question:

Jake,

When I put URLs in the note section of tasks, they do not become active links. (If I open the web version on my Android phone, the links do work.)
I may be wrong, but it seems that functionality used to be there.

Is the ability to have clickable links in the note section of tasks something coming in the future?

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 12, 2018 in: Android App Update v6.4.0
Jake,

Sorry, the links are working fine on my computers via the web and also on my mobile devices when I access Toodledo through the web. The problem is the links in the Android app. I should have been clearer. Since I was commented in the Android App thread, I thought you would assume I had reference to the mobile app.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 03, 2018 in: Android App Update v6.4.0
Jake,

When I put URLs in the note section of tasks, they do not become active links. (If I open the web version on my Android phone, the links do work.)
I may be wrong, but it seems that functionality used to be there.

Is the ability to have clickable links in the note section of tasks something coming in the future?

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

When the quick search window is open, pressing "z" operates like the "up" arrow. With each press of the "z" key, you love up the list.
DrFrankBuck

I often use the "z" shortcut to open/close the note section of all notes. Very handy.

I have noticed that it does not always work. The common thread seems to be that if I have the search window open (having clicked the magnifying glass), "z" does not work. If I close the search window, the z shortcut works properly.
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Take a look at this: https://www.useloom.com/share/03f0eb9f872a4fbda5d2b2e450848a60

It shows what happens when:
1) Create a shortcut with Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome and then click outside the note box.
2) Create a shortcut with Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome and then click <Enter>.

I am still finding the text expansion inconsistent. Many times, entering the shortcut does not cause any text expansion at all. Again, the issue is happening with the new interface only.

Again, not exactly a Toodledo issue, but this extension is so helpful to document such things as date/time, if we could solve the mystery, it provides a great tool.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake, an update...

One thing I have noticed:

If I type a shortcut, such as VM, the extension changes that shortcut to this: Left voicemail message November 27th 2017, 10:31 AM
If I click outside the note section of the task, the original shortcut returns.

But...if I use a shortcut, watch the expansion happen and then hit <enter>, the expansion holds.

Again, even this is not consistent. Many times, hitting VM (or any of the other shortcuts I have created), no expansion happens.

I am going to do a video for you so you can see this in action.
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Sorry to be so late getting back with you. Just now seeing this. Here is the extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-text-expander-for-go/iibninhmiggehlcdolcilmhacighjamp

To give you a common example of how I use it with Toodledo, one of the "shortcuts" I use is VM. The formula for the extension is:

Left voicemail message %d(MMMM Do YYYY, h:mm A)
(You could copy the entire line above this one and paste it in the extension.

So, in my day-to-day use, I have a task to call someone. If I get voicemail when I call, I enter in the note section of the task and it expands to:

Left voicemail message November 8th 2017, 2:01 PM

I actually just used that shortcut a few minutes ago and it has worked fine. Also worked well in the old interface, works consistently in Gmail, etc., so I am confident the extension is functioning. Just not sure why it's inconsistent in the new interface.

If there is anything you would like me to do on my end to trouble-shoot, let me know. The ability the have a date/time stamp has been so helpful.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Score: 1
I use Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome, a free extension. It has been especially useful in Toodledo when I wanted to record the date/time I completed a task, left a voice mail message, etc.

For example, if the task is "Call Jim" and I get Jim's voicemail, I enter VM in the note section of the task and if changes to "Left voicemail message October 23rd 2017, 8:38 PM." (In fact, entering that abbreviation is how I got everything in quotation marks to appear.

This text expander worked flawlessly in the old interface. In the new interface (tasks.toodledo.com) I was finding it inconsistent. Sometimes the extension worked. Sometimes it didn't.

Today, I noticed something really odd. Typing one of the abbreviation, such as "VM" would cause the text expansion to trigger and expand to "Left message October 23rd 2017, 8:42 PM" but as soon as I would click outside of the note section, the text reverts back to the abbreviation.

I know the text expander is not a Toodledo component, but it has added a nice function. If at all possible, I would like to be able to continue it's use.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 04, 2017 in: "z" shortcut in new interface
Jake,

I have always found the "z" shortcut to be very helpful. It does not seem to be operating properly in the new interface when a quick search is involved. Here is what I am seeing in the new interface (Windows machine) in hopes that you can reproduce the problem:

1. Search for a term using the quick search (subject line search).
2. Once the search hss filtered the tasks, click somewhere outside the search bar (so that entering a "z" will be the shortcut rather than adding an additional character to the search).
3. Hit the z key. I am finding it has no effect.
4. Now, click the note icon beside a single task to manually open the note section of that one task.
5. Hit z (no effect)
6. Click the note icon of any other task. Now the note section for all tasks open,
7. Hit the z key to try to close all of the open note section. (No effect)
8. Click any one of the note icons. All note sections close except the one you clicked.
9. Exit the quick search to display all tasks.
10. Hit the z. I get the same effect as I did with the search.
11. Click in the address bar to manually refresh the page.
12. Hitting the z key opens and closes notes sections normally.

Continuing to love the new interface Let me know if you need additional info on this issue.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

UPDATE: After posting this message, I went out of the forums and tried it once more. This time, the text expansions were successful, so you can forget about this one. I will continue to see if there are times when it doesn't work and what the circumstances seem to be.

I have been working exclusively in the new interface (Tasks.toodledo.com) and like it very much. I just noticed one capability I had in the old interface that is not working in the new interface.

I make frequent of a an extension called "Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome." For example if my task is to "Call Bill" and when I attempt the call I get voice mail, I enter "VM" in the note section of the task and it is changed to "Left voicemail message June 27th 2017, 2:33 PM" (the current date and time).

This shortcut and the others I created work in Gmail, Chrome in general, the older Toodledo interface, etc. but are not working in the new one.

I'm not sure if there is something about the new design that is preventing this particular extension from working or it there is an easy tweak that will allow it to function.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2017.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 30, 2017 in: New Layout
I am also interested in Catucker's question about the ETA for the new layout to be the permanent one.

I like the idea that both versions are available so that we can all test the new layout while still being able to have what we are used to. As I am talking to people who are new to Toodledo (and for whom both versions will be new), it would be great to know when the new one will become the only one.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next