ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 26, 2010
  • Score: 0
I don't think Gordon was being sarcastic. A Toodledo subscription is very inexpensive for the value provided.

As with all feature requests, a balance needs to be found. Issues such as ease-of-use and whether or not it will benefit the whole user community have to be taken into consideration.

I for one don't need sub-folders and until now haven't noticed anyone else asking for them. To me, such a feature sounds like it belongs in fully fledged project management software rather than in a task management app.

Just my $0.02 worth!
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Posted by marphod:
Deficiencies:
It does not have the ability to specify an arbitrary sort order. Sort is always descending, and you can choose between "alphabetical", "priority, due date," and "due date, priority".

Hi marphod,

You *can* sort arbitrarily in Appigo Todo. Within any list, tap the button just to the right of the list name at the top. The icon is three horizontal bars. This will make all list items have the same icon on the right hand side. Simply drag the task using this icon and drop it where you like.

Note that this arbitrary sort order in Todo won't be reflected on the Toodledo website.

@Linh - Appigo Todo handles projects (i.e. tasks with subtasks) more elegantly at least in my opinon. In Toodledo when you open a parent task it opens just like any other task, displaying all the fields. To look at subtasks you must scroll to the bottom of the page and tap the subtasks button. In Todo when you tap on a parent task (project) it immediately opens the list of sub-tasks with the parent at the top. You can then edit either the parent or any of the subtasks with one tap.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 26, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • PeterW 
I just hide the menu bar on the left.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 26, 2010 in: Synch iPod Touch on multiple PCs?
  • PeterW 
I might not be understanding your question, but as Toodledo is "in the cloud", your iPod Touch will be syncing directly with the Toodledo servers so it is pretty much independent of the desktop computer. All it needs is an internet connection.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 25, 2010 in: Overwhelmed
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 25, 2010
I agree with Andrew_A. Avoid putting a due date on anything unless it *has* to be done on or by that day. You can then relax a bit and just get around to all other 'next actions' depending upon your context, energy level, etc.

And don't be reluctant about dumping stuff in your 'Someday' list if you realistically cannot get to it for a while. It can help clear the clutter on the screen and in your mind.

If the searches are not working for you, don't use them. That is one part of Proximo's setup I didn't go with and felt were a bit too complicated. As Andrew_A suggested, just do a quick review of your lists (e.g. when checking something off) to keep fresh with what's needed or to see what you can do at the time. I often have Toodledo open all day and use it very frequently.

In the end, you have to drive your lists, not the other way around.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 24, 2010
Joanna117,

Now your next question is harder to answer! I guess it comes down to personal preference and there are plenty of people on the forum here who would prefer Toodledo's iPhone app over Appigo's Todo.

For me it is a combination of screen design and appearance, and the way that features work. I just prefer the way that Todo looks/feels for the most part. It has fewer options so can't be configured at the same granular level as Toodledo can but I think they've got the balance just right - it's easy to use yet powerful at the same time.

Here is one example... compare how Projects (i.e. Tasks with Sub-tasks) are handled on both devices. Toodledo requires the user to scroll first and tap another button whereas Todo does it all in one tap.

You can run both apps at the same time on your device and it works fine. I do this.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2010
It sounds like you are using Appigo Todo (not Toodledo's native iPhone app). In which case v3.4.2 is the latest version. I use this app also.

To access the Appigo Todo log on your iPhone, tap:
Settings - Information - Diagnostics
...and then scroll to the bottom of that page.

You will probably have to contact Appigo if there are problems. They have a Google Group to handle support issues:
http://groups.google.com/group/appigo-todo
PeterW 

Posted Apr 23, 2010 in: syncing to my backflip
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2010
Debi,

It looks like your phone runs the Android OS so you'll need to install an application on it that can sync with Toodledo. Check out the Third-Party Applications forum on this site for more info (Toodledo does not develop its own native Android-based app - it only supports iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad).

One that seems to be getting good reviews is "Got-To-Do". Follow this link for more info:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/5201/0/got-to-do-for-android-v10-now-available.html
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 22, 2010
Posted by marphod:

(also, what is the correct pronunciation of Toodledo?)

See here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/6/1756/-7941/pronunciation.html
PeterW 

Posted Apr 22, 2010 in: SMS reminders in Japan
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 22, 2010
I'm in Australia and had a similar problem. My carrier (the largest in the country) did not directly offer an email-to-SMS gateway for its users, but I found that it obviously makes this available to commercial operators.

So I recently signed up with one of these operators - SMS Global (www.smsglobal.com). You simply pre-purchase credits (e.g. 10 cents per message) and they provide you with an email address to use e.g. [email protected].

I've tested it and it works, although have hit one snag. Either SMS Global or my mobile carrier strips out the message title which in the case of Toodledo contains the name of the task. I am hoping to find a way around this.

Anyway, do some searching... you may well find that operators exist that support the mobile carriers in Japan.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 21, 2010 in: Problem with SMS alerts
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 21, 2010
Thanks. I will contact the service that I've signed up with to see if there is anything they can do for me.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 20, 2010 in: Problem with SMS alerts
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2010
Hi there,

I've just tried out the SMS alert feature for the first time but didn't get the result that I wanted.

The SMS arrived OK, but the name of the task was missing. All I got was this:

When I receive email alerts, the task name is the title of the email and the body contains other info such as priority, folder, context and tag. I'm not getting any of this in SMS so the alerts aren't very useful.

I have configured my SMS gateway preferences (with the third-party provider) to allow use of up to 3 x SMS messages if needed (i.e. if the incoming email has more text than can fit in a single SMS) so I don't think this can be the problem.

Does anyone else have SMS alerts working well?

*EDIT* fixed image link

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 18, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2010
Hi mccotter. Looks great!

The only thing I would change is the color used for the links (which is also the background color used for Add Task). I'm just not a big fan of olive green, and would prefer a blue/gray color that matched the rest of the theme.

But this is minor and something that I can change myself if you're happy with it this way.

Cheers,
Peter.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 18, 2010 in: Freezing app.
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2010
I haven't seen this reported by anyone else (I am also a FireFox user) so I'd recommend that you flush your cache and see if that helps.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 17, 2010 in: Some qs on GTD and Proximos GTD setup
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2010
Here is what I do...

1. Actions that must be completed on a certain day
These are in Toodledo along with all the rest. I generally do not put them on my calendar. The calendar is almost exclusively used for meetings and appointments that I must attend. The only exception is a small number of recurring weekly tasks (e.g. prepare reports for management meeting) which are both in Toodledo (recurring) AND on the Outlook calendar, just so that I get popup reminders on my work PC (which I am usually staring at in the office). If Toodledo could popup a reminder for these tasks I would not put them in Outlook either.

2. Actions that are waiting for something/someone
These are always in my 'Waiting for' list. I prepend the task name with initials if it's a person I am waiting on.

3. Actions for 'nice to do' stuff (e.g. listen to podcasts)
I don't put anything like this on my lists at present. If I did, I might create a new folder in Toodledo just for this type of stuff and then add contexts that might help, e.g. @car, @jogging, could be useful times for listening to podcasts, etc.

4. Separate GTD & Calendar systems?
Yes - I have Toodledo synced with Appigo Todo for my GTD system, and I have three Outlook calendars going. One is my work Outlook calendar (synced with my company's Exchange server) and two personal calendars synced with Outlook on my home PC (via Apple's MobileMe service). One of these home cals is my personal calendar and the other is to for my wife's schedule.

Regarding the latter, I just manually add stuff that I need to know (like when she is scheduled to be out somewhere and I need to be home with the kids). The beauty of the iPhone is that all 3 calendars can be overlaid using different colours so I can see what's going on at a glance.

Items like 'call Jim @ 9am' usually go on both the calendar and on Toodledo, for the reason mentioned above... i.e. I want a popup reminder on my work PC screen (Outlook does this and lets me snooze if needed). Sometimes my iPhone is put on silent and is face down on my desk so I might not see the reminder. I want to ensure I get it done in case I miss all reminders at the time so it's always on Toodledo as a task.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 17, 2010 in: Firefox plugin Sign Out problem
  • PeterW 
...and I would suggest that you lock your PC if walkng away from your desk.

I do this routinely and not only for the sake of my Toodledo data but for other apps I have open. I am the admin on our company's Microsoft Dynamics AX system so if someone gained access, they could do havoc.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 17, 2010 in: Little changes = HUGE font!!
  • PeterW 
...and Ctrl-0 (i.e. zero) restored the default zoom level.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 17, 2010 in: Outlook Sync Tool and Due Time
  • PeterW 
Posted by jon:
Am I missing something here or are just not that many users working this way?

Hi Jon,

I think you got it... if you use Toodledo as your master task manager then it all makes sense and works well. If you use Outlook as your prime task management environment and use Toodledo with Chromadrake as the middleware between desktop and mobile device, then you do lose some functionality.

Toodledo is designed to be fully-fledged task management solution that would be used in place of Outlook, and it can be synced with a number of iPhone apps. This works really well. While many use it as middleware, I don't think that's its prime purpose.

The problem of course stems from the fact that Apple did not provide a native task management app on the iPhone. The native iPhone email and calendar apps sync nicely with Outlook. So we need to use a third-party task manager and find a solution to sync with our desktops.

If you are really committed to using Outlook for task management, then my recommendations would be:

1. Use a Windows Mobile-based phone that runs Pocket Outlook. I've used a number of these devices in recent years and they sync well with Outlook on the desktop via ActiveSync or WMDC.

or...

2. Find an iPhone task management app that syncs directly with Outlook (i.e. don't use Toodledo/Chromadrake as the middleware). Appigo Todo does this with its own sync utility although it's still in beta and seems to be a bit difficult to get working.

Or you could do what I did... dump Outlook for task management and replace it with Toodledo. After switching to the iPhone from Windows Mobile (what a breath of fresh air that was!), I looked at lots of task management apps and settled on Appigo Todo. This in turn led me to Toodledo.

After trying Toodledo, I quickly discovered it was so much better that Outlook's task manager (which I've never really been happy with) and made the switch. Toodledo is much easier to use than Outlook yet at the same time is more powerful. And because it's online I can access it pretty much anywhere I am - work, home, vacation, travel, etc.

The company I work for (like most) runs on Outlook with Microsoft Exchange. Thankfully, only Outlook's email and calendar are mandatory, so I can choose what I do for task management.

If you're able, try Toodledo as your prime task manager and see if it works for you.
PeterW 

Posted Apr 15, 2010 in: How many open projects?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2010
Thanks Linden.

Goals may well be a better way of handling this although to be honest I just haven't looked at this part of Toodledo yet! Partly because I'm lazy but mainly because I am trying to keep it as simple as I can, and I also assumed that it wouldn't be supported in Appigo Todo which I use.

Cheers,
Peter.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2010
One thing you could consider is making the top level a folder. That would give you 3 levels.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next