ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Jan 31, 2012 in: Book about time management
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 31, 2012
  • Score: 2
Ok, I went back and looked at the article in more detail. This isn't really CPM. He's just sequenced the tasks to get them all completed in the shortest amount of time. I do this most every day, so do a lot of others. CPM is more complex, and involves creating your list of tasks, then determining the dependencies between those tasks, then taking the summary of the dependencies along each path to get the total durations along each path, determining which it the longest path, which is the Critical Path. But you're still not done. In most instances, you then do a process called "Attacking the CP" to shorten the Critical Path, which is usually, in the real world, longer than you want it to be. This is best done by software, like M$ Project, though I was doing on paper before there was software.

What he is describing is not truly CPM, but a sort of shortened and simplified version. Nothing wrong with that, except calling it CPM shows he doesn't really know what CPM is. It is, however, and effective way to get more things done in less time.
Salgud

Posted Jan 29, 2012 in: How to sort tag names?
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 29, 2012
  • Score: 0
No you can't rearrange tags. They are in order of many items have that tag. This is on "the list".
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 27, 2012
I would love to see integration with Evernote and Toodledo. When Evernote did away with the 'paper tape' paradigm and along with it templates and whatnot in their newer releases, it changed Evernote from a killer app to just another productivity app, since I used it a lot for to do lists.

I agree. In fact, on my Windoze machine at work, I still use the old standalone 2.8x. It has features the new one still doesn't, and probably won't, have. Unfortunately, it's getting long in the tooth, and one of my favorite features, the ability to have my launcher, Executor, bring up an individual note, is no longer functioning. I imagine it won't be long before it really doesn't work at all, since it hasn't been upgraded in what, 4 years? What will I replace it with, and how will I get over 4Mb (>500 notes) into it's replacement? I'm not looking forward to that.

I use the new one on my Mac at home and on my iPhone, and it's just ok, but nothing special.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Toodledo:

To the complainers: Offline support, Android support, Multi-language support, and a more feature packed replacement for toodledo.com/slim have all been top requests for years. Maybe these things weren't your top request, but they were the overall top requests.

Thanks for your reply. You have the numbers, so I'll button my lip and have more trust next time.

We have no plans to stop work on our iPhone app. In fact, we have some big updates planned for it this year.

Looking forward to that,hoping it included Saved Searches!
Salgud

Posted Jan 27, 2012 in: End Date for Repeating Tasks
  • Salgud
TD does not have this feature now, but it is on "the list".
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 26, 2012
  • Score: 2
I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that this is what you've been working on these last few months. It seems to me that there are a lot of features that people are clamoring for more than this. It's hard for me to imagine that you have that many customers who can't afford $5 or less for a mobile app, whether it's TD's or someone elses.

I'm hoping that some kind of saved views, which will store Search and Filter criteria along with sort order, or even dependencies, will be along soon. How about universal Search & Replace? Even sub-subtasks, which I don't see much need for, but which a lot of users do, would be a good choice. Or Saved Searches in the native app? Just my suggestions for some crowd pleasers.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2012.
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Posted by naruto137:
My primary reason for sorting tasks is to arrange what I am going to do at the current moment. Hence I have created a task called "Now" with subtasks manually ordered to which I am going to do first.

Excellent idea! Consider it stolen! :)
Salgud

• Salgud
However it will be good to make the same settings for all views by default.

For most of us, this isn't true at all. We've been campaigning for years to get Filter and Sort settings to be contained with each view because when I'm in "Folders", I'd like them, usually, to be sorted by Folders. Same for the others. (I'd still want the ability to Filter them however I want). When I'm in a Saved Search, I'd like to see each view have it's own Sort and Filter settings, since each Saved Search is used for a different purpose.

I guess if TD were to change this, they could include an option to make them all the same, but that would be my last choice.
Salgud

Posted Jan 26, 2012 in: Quickly add a todo item to your inbox
  • Salgud
I keep TD open in my browser 24/7 at home and at work, so I just add new tasks there. Nothing can be much quicker - it's always 3 clicks away (select browser, select tab, click on Quick Add box). I guess for those who hate GUIs, and want to operate strictly from the keyboard, this process is glacial! :) I spent too many years with DOS to want to go back.
Salgud

Posted Jan 26, 2012 in: New list of tasks
  • Salgud
More to show you how many options you have than as the solution, you could also use Contexts. Though this is not the intended purpose, so what? If you're not already using it, and don't see any need for it, it would work fine. Lots of options w/ TD.
Salgud

Score: -3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2012
  • Score: -3
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2012
I believe that two is "multiple", i.e., more than one.
Salgud

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: Book about time management
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2012
  • Score: 1
@fantasticate

Having used, consulted on and taught Project Scheduling and M$ Project for many years, I'm very familiar with CPM. As to applying it to daily tasks, it would be a nightmare for me. It takes a lot of effort to create and maintain a proper (keyword) CPM schedule, and most of it's benefits in an individual's daily schedule can be gleaned just by common sense.

But the time and energy it would take to plan each day in that kind of detail, durations and dependencies and all, certainly wouldn't pay off in my job, or in any job I've ever had. One of the basic guidelines of using CPM correctly is that the task durations should be no smaller than a half day, and no larger than 10 days (I won't bore you with the reasoning behind this here). And each of those tasks can usually be broken down into a task list such as we might keep in TD. At that level, dependencies are hard to determine, and durations are so short they are easily and all to frequently changed by daily circumstances like the usual office interruptions we all suffer with.

So for me at least, applying CPM in my daily routine would be an exercise in frustration. I would only apply it on projects of 30 tasks or more, and involving more than one resource. That's where the real value of CPM comes in to play, managing and properly distributing multiple resources across multiple tasks to get the work done in the shortest time. Trying to manage that on a daily basis for just one resource, myself, would just make me crazier than I already am! Kind of like using an atomic bomb to remove a tree stump. YMMV.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: Location distance
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2012
@raj
Have you tried deleting the task and re-entering it? Rebooting the phone?
Salgud

Posted Jan 18, 2012 in: Task Note Viewing
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 18, 2012
In the dark blue bar, just to the left of Multi Edit, are 4 icons. The left most, which has a Tool Tip of "Hide/Show Details", depending on current status, will Hide/Show the notes. Works a little differently depending on whether you're in Multi-line or Grid mode.
Salgud

Posted Jan 17, 2012 in: Customizing Status
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2012
And as I said before, I don't interpret "general barometer" to mean "not taken into account". YMMV.
Salgud

Posted Jan 17, 2012 in: Customizing Status
  • Salgud
I've been using TD for about 1.5 yrs now, and have, from the beginning, seen a very high correlation between the requests in these forums and the upgrades.

Further, I follow these forums pretty regularly, and can't recall Jeff saying that what is posted in these forums doesn't affect the TD development path. Even if it were true, he'd have to be pretty stupid to say so!
Salgud

Posted Jan 17, 2012 in: URL Links
  • Salgud
I prefer them in a new tab, thanks.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2012
I have created a Saved Search for my Inbox because I "live" in the Search area anyway. I named it "A Inbox", which puts it at the top of my list of Saved Searches. Of course, you could use other means of getting it to the top like calling it !Inbox, for example. I haven't checked, but I'm sure there are other means of accomplishing this same end.
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2012 in: How to Hide Notes?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2012
Look at the dark blue bar near the top, just to the left of the "Multi-Edit" button, are 4 buttons, the left-most of these is "Hide/Show" button. That's the one!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next