ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Dec 08, 2011 in: Purging Everything
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2011
  • Score: 0
If you go to the bottom of your account setting page, you'll find a couple of options to delete tasks en masse. Tags will go when the tasks are deleted. Contexts are fixed. I think with Folders you're on your own.
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2011
  • Score: 1
@JPR - Good point.

@ProBC - Like JPR, your list of priorities is nothing like mine. None of yours are on my list, and if I were to show mine, you'd probably say the same. It's just that there are so many of us using this tool in so many ways. TD's amazing flexibility is also the cause for the over 1600 items (the last time I remember seeing them post it) on TD's task list. That's a lot of items to do. I don't know how they prioritize, but I do know that the requests I see most frequently here are the enhancements I see coming from TD. They listen, which is more than some developers of task management software do. I know they're doing their best, and that's all I ask.
Salgud

Posted Dec 07, 2011 in: A few bug fixes
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2011
Thanks!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 06, 2011
I think it's a great idea for those who want TD's competitors to have a significant advantage.
Salgud

• Salgud
At this time, there is no Folder inheritance. I believe it is on "the list".
Salgud

• Salgud
If you go to your Settings page, under Tasks, Subtasks, you'll see an option to make subtasks inherit the characteristics of the parent.
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2011 in: My Hodge-Podge
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2011
@JPR

Thanks, will check it out.
Salgud

Posted Dec 03, 2011 in: My Hodge-Podge
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 03, 2011
Just because, I thought I'd describe my Hodge-Podge of a task management system. At this time, I have tasks listed in four different places, e.g. software packages. I imagine this will make the GTDers shudder. Actually, it makes me shudder too. But, so far, it works.

Before I describe my "system", if in fact, it can be called that, it's important to realize that the highest priority in my world, particularly at work, is to not lose track of anything. So my current system may have some redundancy and be higher maintenance than a simpler system, but I dont' mind that. Just so nothing important gets lost.

My main task manager at work is TD, simply because it's one of the draught horses of task managers. It does just about everything, and I use most of it's features. It has a steep learning curve for a task manager, but with time, I've developed a "trusted" system that I like very much. It covers the ground I need covered, with some manipulation, in ways other task managers, such as Things, can't do. Or at least not easily. So that's my base.

For a while, I was using TD for my personal life as well. Not too hard to do using the Contexts feature. So at work I set the filter for Context "Work", at home, Context "Home". Ok. Mostly. But since I wasn't using half of the TD features at home that I use at work, it always seemed like overkill to use TD, in that configuration, for my personal life. it also added complications to my TD configuration because it necessitated additional Tags, Folders, etc. It only occurred to me recently that I had both TD and Things, and know both, so I could use Things for my personal life, and leave the draught horse at work. This decision greatly simplified my TD system, because it removed the extra Contexts, Tags, Folders, etc, that were making my TD setup more complex than I really needed. So now my TD setup is much simpler and I use Things for personal tasks, which is simpler than TD anyway.

So what are the other two repositories of my tasks? At work, we use Novell GroupWise in place of M$ Outlook. I don't find either terribly good, but GW is very abstruse, with features hidden away in obscure dialog boxes that after you find them that first time, you can never remember where it was! Regardless, its what we have at the state, so I decided when the new release came out earlier this year, I stop cursing it and light a candle. It does have a lot of features, if only you can locate and understand them. One excellent feature is the ability to turn your email list into a task list. That is, you can simply drag an email to the top of the panel in which it lives, and it becomes a task. While GW's task management capabilities are sparse, it does have some basic capabilities. So now when I get an email that I need to do something about, and can't do it immediately, I just drag it to the top of the email panel and make it a task, which then appears in the Task list in a separate panel. So I don't have to re-enter emails into TD as tasks, which is what I used to do. This applies only to small tasks. Bigger efforts are in TD. This does give me an additional task list, but it's right in front of me in my GW dashboard and is easily managed.

The fourth task list came about when iOS5 introduced Reminders, and I bought an iPhone 4S. One of Things biggest weaknesses is the lack of reminders, at least from the perspective of a non-GTD person. I disagree with David Allen that things that have a due time aren't tasks. Since Things is loosely based on GTD concepts, it has no reminders. Which means that for me, one of the most important needs I have of a personal task management system is to remind me in the moment that I have something I need to do. So I've started using Reminders to remember to pay bills and pick up cleaning and stop at the grocery store on the way home from work, all things that Things isn't much good for. I'm not even near my computer when I'm out and about to do these things, and while I have my iPhone with Things on it, Things doesn't have a Reminder capability. Reminders does. So now those "out and about" kinds of tasks, I keep in Reminders. which is very effective for me.

This relegates Things to tracking at home projects and activities, for which it is very good. I used it to prepare my Thanksgiving dinner and my recent complete re-install of my OS on my iMac. Worked great.

So this means that I have my tasks scattered across 4 task management tools. Sounds like a mess! Strangely, it works better than any system I've ever had because each of these tools have strengths and weaknesses and I use each where it does best. I seldom forget to stop on the way home to do an errand because Reminders reminds me at the exact appropriate time. I track my projects at home and at work, and I keep those pesky email related tasks handy.

Remember, the main objective of my "system" is to keep track of everything. If occasionally I have a reminder to do x popping up in 2 of my places, who cares? I got reminded of it at the correct time , which is what matters most. I didn't overlook it.

So that's my Hodge-Podge. I'm sure it wouldn't work for many, which is fine. It only has to work for me. I welcome feedback and comments on this. I'm sure it can be improved, and will evolve as I find other, better ways of managing my life. For now, it does fine.
Salgud

Posted Dec 02, 2011 in: How to display "Folders" as tabs
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2011
@Pinky

Note to TD: It would be great if you had a more robust Tutorial or video demos available. I think the software is very useful and powerful but challenging to get started.
thanks again.

The instructional videos definitely need updating.

TD can be a bit overwhelming at first. Someone gave me some good advice when I was learning it, which was to start out with just those fields you really have to have, get used to the TD interface and get down the basics, then add more fields slowly, 1 or 2 at a time, until you get to where you want to be. Worked for me.

This message was edited Dec 02, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Dec 02, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011 - Part 3
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2011
  • Score: -1
It definitely helps. I've been around long enough to observe that the feedback in these forums has a direct impact on the TD development process.
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2011 in: Syncing ain't
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 30, 2011
Dat was it! Thanks again.
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2011 in: Syncing ain't
  • Salgud
TD on my puter at work and my iPhone isn't happening. I've marked a task complete a number of times on my iPhone, but it isn't getting marked complete online. If I close my iPhone TD app after I mark the task done, then re-open it, the task isn't marked done anymore - it keeps clearing the checkbox. And yes, the task is a repeating task, but the date due is not changing, so it's not the next recurrence that I'm seeing.

Any suggestions please?
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2011 in: "Out of the blue" events/tasks
  • Salgud
My only rule is - I get to decide which is the higher priority - not the person who wants me to drop everything and deal with them right now.

I agree. And would add that the ability to simply say "no", politely of course, is a great way to deal with constant interruptions. If people know you can't say no, they'll constantly bombard you with requests, many of which they could do for themselves if they took the time. I find that being realistic about what I can get done in a day helps a lot.
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
  • Salgud
Posted by Purveyor:
GTK, SG.
;)

Mind decoding? :)
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2011 in: Context help?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2011
@Josie

Thanks for the idea! I've just modified my TD system to remove all personal tasks (which I've moved to Things at home and on my iPhone). Since I was using Contexts to separate personal from work, it was an unused field. I do work for a lot of different people here, and have been using tags to ID who I'm doing stuff for, but there are a lot of them and I had a lot of other tags as well. Hadn't really thought about Contexts being freed up until I noticed your post on how you use Contexts. I went and removed my old ones (they were all "Work"), the made a Context for each person I am doing something for, then deleted them from my tags. This has improved and simplified my system, always a good thing!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2011
You can do that in M$ Project.
Salgud

Posted Nov 28, 2011 in: Context help?
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 28, 2011
  • Score: 2
Context was originally used in a GTD context. That is, home, work, prison. You can do certain things at certain places, others, not so much. So you can't do that internet search when you're off the grid, or don't have access. So the context is often just the availability of resources needed to do the task, like computer, phone, hatchets, etc. Of course, with laptops and wifi and smartphones and Swiss Army knives, these lines have become blurred in recent years.

Locations are intended to be GPS locations so you can get a reminder when you're near the library or the hardware store or the graveyard that you have something to do/get there.

The difference between the two is also blurring with new technology. A number of posters here have decided to use one but not the other because they feel they are much the same, and therefore, redundant. And you can, if you wish, use either for any other purpose you desire. Since I don't have a need for Location as intended, I use that field for the location of the many meetings I arrange instead of as a GPS/reminder thing. I guess a good rule of thumb is to use all the fields you need, but no more. Of if you prefer, the KISS principle.
Salgud

Posted Nov 28, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
  • Salgud
I use both EN and TD notes. I've used EN for 6 yrs now, and have over a thousand notes on everything from recipes to engine specs for my car. It's a great repository of info of all kinds.

At work, I use the old-school version of EN (2.8, if I remember right) because it has features that the new EN doesn't, and probably won't ever, have. There are almost 500 notes in there (it was erased about a year ago by our IT department when they decided to re-image my hard drive and didn't realize their re-imaging software would automatically erase the external drive where I had backed up my EN data with over a thousand notes). This is where I keep all kinds of information about my work which are mostly long-term stuff.

I use TD notes for information I want quick access to, like my agenda for my meeting with my boss once a week and the other meetings I arrange or attend. These notes usually get deleted after the meeting, so they're temporary. Occasionally, I copy a TD note to EN if I think I might want that information at a later date. I also keep notes about TD itself in TD notes, where they're handy.

As for a task manager, I find EN pretty bad. I tried it many years ago when I first got EN, and considered it a couple of times later on when new features were added, but realized that while it can do checklists, it doesn't have a capability for notifications or Start or Due Dates or priorities, etc. So it's pretty half-assed as a task manager. IMHO, of course, YMMV.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by bkhmd:
I would like to know if I can set due dates of subtask's based on the due date of the parent. for example:

Paernt task xyz --- Due November 30, 2011
subtask 1 Due 15 days prior to the Parent
subtask 2 Due 15 days after the parent

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Brian

Opps after reading I see it was not clear. I want to be able to set the due date of the parent and have the subtask due dates set automatically so I dont have to manually set due dates of each subtask. I know that the parent is due on a certain day and each subtask are due on set days before the parent or after the parent due date

How could software automatically know that you want one task done 15 days before the due date and another done 15 days after?

As it is, when you create sub-tasks, they are automatically assigned a Due Date copied from the Parent, if the Parent has a Due Date. What more could software do?
Salgud

Posted Nov 28, 2011 in: offline manual
  • Salgud
@Pastor Randy

"No cost to TD"

If TD developer time is free, then making a manual would, indeed, be free. I very much doubt this is the case. Someone has to WRITE the manual, which is considerably more expensive than the printing costs. And that someone has to know TD extremely well, which means either a developer who also has manual writing skills (very rare), or hire an outside professional (not cheap) to pick the brains of a developer, who would give a considerable amount of time to the project. Definitely not cheap! Not to mention the indirect cost of tying up a developer's time which would slow down the development effort. Which would only add to the clamoring in here by the better-get-my-favorite-feature-out-or-I'm-switching-to-my-other-favorite-task-manager crowd.

If this helped most (more than half) of their users, some companies might do it. But M$ experience is no different than most - very few users will actually refer to a manual, printed or pdf, makes no difference.

In my experience, there is considerable cost, and very little return. And it's not a one-time cost, because the manual should be undated every time a new feature is added, which with TD, is pretty often.

If TD were to consider some kind of help, and they are, videos are far more popular these days than printed manuals, though even more expensive. They've said they're considering such an aid, but AFAIK, haven't started it yet. I understand their hesitation.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next