ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by boydston01"
boydston01

Posted May 15, 2017 in: New Layout
Score: 2
Posted by spy:
Several features of the new design are appealing, but here is the deal-killer for me. In the current layout, when entering a new task I never have to touch my mouse. I can simply tab from field to field, enter the first letter of the folder I want my task in, enter the first couple letters of a due date (e.g., "Fri"), and hit enter. In the new layout I have to reach for the mouse to choose the folder, date, etc., from a drop-down list. That is major friction. On top of that, there is an annoying lag after a selection is made. The thing I love best about ToodleDo is it suits my super-fast, keyboard-driven entry style, something I suspect is common to many TD users. Please don't take that away.

First, let me reiterate: "The thing I love best about ToodleDo is it suits my super-fast, keyboard-driven entry style, something I suspect is common to many TD users. Please don't take that away." YES!

Second, I think they are actually in the process of implementing more fuller keyboard navigation of tasks. Notice that you can now "select" a task with the keyboard arrows and make changes to that tasks with leaving the keyboard.

With this, they are changing some keyboard shortcuts and, I guess, they need to make the hot keys more "global"—so most keyboard shortcuts are always active, even when editing/adding a task. Therefore, when you add/edit a task, you have to hit spacebar to activate editing the field. So you hit space, then first letter of folder. Space, then fri...

I don't think they are done implementing the new keyboard functionality so there is definitely some problems right now. But if we get complete keyboard navigation for some small tradeoffs (like hiting space before entering due date) then I am game! My personal example is that I can no longer type "2 weeks" for due date—now I have to type "in 2 weeks."
boydston01

Posted May 15, 2017 in: Drag and drop subtasks - mobile
Score: 1
Well, at least I don't feel dumb for not being able to figure it out!

For some people (like me)—that only need drag and drop task sorting occasionally—this might be a decent workaround. For example, the only time I really need drag and drop is on certain days when I am home and have numerous small tasks for the day (which usually include some errands). To be able to freely move the tasks around as I figure out the precise order that they need to be done in (sometimes because of dependencies, sometimes just for efficiency) is a very big deal. I always have to resort to some other app.

But toodledo subtasks may just do the trick! When drag and drop is on mobile... :)

Thanks for the info.
boydston01

Posted May 14, 2017 in: Drag and drop subtasks - mobile
Score: 0
How do you drag and drop subtasks on the ios app? I cannot figure it out! (got it on the desktop web app just fine...)
boydston01

Posted May 11, 2017 in: Complete task keyboard shortcut
Woohoo (toodledo)!
boydston01

Posted May 11, 2017 in: Complete task keyboard shortcut
I would really like a keyboard shortcut to complete a task!
boydston01

Posted May 11, 2017 in: Using Start Time to Hide Future Tasks
Do you mean that if the start date is today and the start time is 8p, the task is hidden until 8p? So basically more granular time filtering?
boydston01

Yes, thanks. "V" for "saVed searches!" :)
boydston01

Posted May 11, 2017 in: 'x' weeks for stare/due dates?
got it, thanks!
boydston01

Posted May 09, 2017 in: 'x' weeks for stare/due dates?
In the new redesign, typing "x week(s)" for start or due date does not work. It results in no date. Is this the expected new behavior?

Also, the pop out date choosing interface goes away automatically very quickly.
boydston01

Yeah, I second this. In the redesign, "e" brings me to a new search. I really need to navigate to my list of saved searches!

Preferably, keep "e" to navigate to saved searches and use a modifier with 'e' for new advanced search. eg ctrl+e

This message was edited May 09, 2017.
boydston01

Posted May 09, 2017 in: Charge for syncing!
Thanks, Ummagumma.
boydston01

Posted May 08, 2017 in: Charge for syncing!
Posted by Ummagumma:
"Are you saying: “Since Toodledo is small in the market place and does not provide ‘xyz’ features, people should not expect to pay for Toodledo?”

No, that's not what I am saying.

Sync is the basic feature that everyone needs. Toodledo not being well known or widely adapted, they can't afford to charge for sync because it will turn potential users away from the beginning. Why would I even consider trying a less-known service if I have to pay to get my tasks synced to my phone (even with a trial period) when every other service provides free sync ?

Ok, I see what you mean. I still have a different perspective, but I think your point is valid.

To your point about addressing the Outlook users: 10 years ago, I was "all in" with Outlook and Exchange—professionally and personally. In addition to my work Exchange, I subscribed to my own personal hosted exchange. With WinMo 6 died, I migrated to Google Apps. I have always wanted to go back to Outlook/Exchange. The single biggest reason I have never been able to is a good solution for accessing exchange tasks on mobile.
boydston01

Posted May 04, 2017 in: A-la Carte Pricing Model ?
Posted by Ummagumma:
So,the alternative is $25 /yr for Informant, another $15 /yr for Toodledo Silver (just to get subtasks and some additional features) and no direct sync to Outlook. I do get better task filtering. But since I spend more time in front of Outlook anyway, and it has superb filtering, there's really no incentive for me to pay $200 over 5 years for some additional features on mobile, combined with a healthy dose of hoop jumping required to get my emails into tasks.

Informant plus Toddledo is exactly what I am doing and, I agree, it is too expensive! But alas, it's what I need—TD with calendar integration (as you said).

Yeah, to me the price increase of Informant is insane. As a user of 10+ years, I calculated that it is like a 500% price increase for the next 10+ years. Assuming I use Informant that long!
boydston01

Posted May 04, 2017 in: Charge for syncing!
Posted by Ummagumma:
>Well, if someone is using a third party app to sync with Toodledo, why should they expect to get a completely free service from Toodledo ?

Because Toodledo is not #1, nor it's #2 or 3 or even 4. And because Toodledo can't be bothered to provide a sync engine of their own outside of their mobile app, which not everyone is going to use. I, just like many other people, believe that all timed actionable items - events and tasks - belong in a single calendar view, not in two different apps. And whatever task system I use better have a way of incorporating itself into my calendar apps.

Are you saying: “Since Toodledo is small in the market place and does not provide ‘xyz’ features, people should not expect to pay for Toodledo?” If that is what you are saying, we just plain disagree. I think when good or services are rendered, compensation should always be expected.

I totally get where you are coming from with everything else.
boydston01

Posted Apr 29, 2017 in: A-la Carte Pricing Model ?
Yeah, if the user base that would subscribe for $5-10/annually is very small, then it's moot!

My hopes are high for Informant. As long as the UI is practical, I don't care what it look likes. I am looking at syncing with Toodledo. I am also ok with the price--as long as it works really well. Right now it is terrible (they really botched it by combining an astronomical price increase WITH a product that didn't even work) but I am being patient with them.

I agree with you about TD being held back because of it's lack of native integration. When tasks are not tightly integrated with communications and calendaring, they can only go so far.
boydston01

Posted Apr 29, 2017 in: Charge for syncing!
Score: -1
Well, if someone is using a third party app to sync with Toodledo, why should they expect to get a completely free service from Toodledo? Don't get me wrong, I love it when a business gives me something for free but I don't think it should be expected. Third party apps that are using a service from Toodledo should expect to pay something.

I don't think learning Toodledo requires syncing. A person could play with the web app or phone app all they want--learning the ins and outs. But, yeah, they would not be able to test the syncing per se.

Regarding #1, I would argue that advanced functionality usually goes hand in hand with less pretty UI. Because it's extremely difficult to have lots of features that are accessible thru a clean/pretty UI. Wunderlist is great example. Very few features compared to Toodledo. Personally, I strongly prefer Toodledo's focus on function over form--so it's also a matter of preference.

Totally with you on #2. Especially if it is true that Outlook (and Exchange) still have a huge market share. Native syncing could be a gold mine. Toodledo's database seems to have a pretty good parity.
boydston01

Posted Apr 27, 2017 in: Charge for syncing!
Score: -1
Seriously, start charging for syncing, already! Maybe options of $4 biannually and $7 annually. Your apps could be free which could serve as a fantastic “trial” of sorts. If a user never needs syncing, then they have a free app, but that seems like a very easy up-sell.

Oh, start telling you customers NOW, that this price change will take place in 6 months, 1 year, whatever… Or, if possible, change the price now but grandfather current basic customers into 1 year free, or something.

I know it’s crazy for a customer to suggest you start charging for a free service. I am doing so because I want to see you all, not only survive, but flourish. Also, eventually, you might be able to lower the cost of silver and gold memberships and still come out ahead, especially since this may lead to more upgrades.

Anyways, thanks for letting me tell you how to run your business! :D
boydston01

Posted Apr 27, 2017 in: A-la Carte Pricing Model ?
An entirely different approach is to start charging for basic accounts (stop giving away free services!). This could eventually allow them to lower the cost for the upper-level memberships and still come out ahead.
boydston01

Posted Apr 07, 2017 in: Keyboard use - new layout
Score: 2
Really liking the new layout (as of April 2017)!

It is great to navigate between tasks with up/down arrows and to "open/close" tasks with left/right arrows. Just fantastic keyboard control.

My suggestion is to use left/right arrows only for opening/closing tasks. Use tab to cycle focus through all the task details (and make it cycle so that when it reaches the last detail, it starts back at the first).

Currently, left/right arrows cycle thru details and open/close task. So right arrow opens the tasks and then cycles thru details. Thus to close the task, you have to hit left a bunch until you get back to the "top." If arrows and tab were differentiated, you could easily have the focus on a task detail and quickly close the task with left arrow.

Also related to this is how using tab disrupts arrow use. If tab can't be better controlled, maybe disregard its use and concentrate on other keys to fully navigate Toodledo.
boydston01

Posted Dec 08, 2016 in: Google Calendar Two-way Sync
Thanks for the transparency! It is great to have realistic expectations.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next