ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Posted Oct 18, 2011 in: Viewing tasks by tag - boolean options?
Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2011
  • Score: 0
Use a Search (left-hand menu) and then Save it for later reuse.

Saved Searches is how you build a customized system with Toodledo. It is a very powerful tool. With saved searches you can put together filtering conditions of virtually any length or complexity using all the fields in the system. Personally, I hardly ever leave Search mode.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Oct 18, 2011 in: calendar integration on iphone
  • Folke X
You can one-way sync dated Toodledo tasks into Google Calendar (see Tools), and from there you can sync both ways with the iPhone calendar. (But you cannot sync any changes made in Gcal or iPhone back into Toodledo. It is one way only)

Folke X

Posted Oct 18, 2011 in: Best iPhone App to use with Toodledo?
  • Folke X
I think they are all (as far as I know) very limited in the sense that they do not support Saved Searches (aka smart lists), which the mainstay of the whole setup that I and many others have with Toodledo. They mainly have the most basic "computerish" options to view-by-this-field or view-by-that-field, just like the out-of-the-box menus here on the Toodledo web. Some have a single preprogrammed hotlist, that's all, just like Toodledo.

I use Pocket Informant, which also has all the above limitations. It can show Google calendar items in the same view as your (dated) Toodledo tasks, which at least is something a bit extra. Previews of their upcoming version indicates something called "Smart Groups", which may - I don't know, but I am hoping - turn out to be "smart lists" aka "saved searches". Maybe Toodledo's next version will have this, too?

Folke X

Posted Oct 16, 2011 in: Global Filter
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 16, 2011
Currently, filter settings (and sort settings) an on a per-tab basis (Folder tab, Search tab etc).

It is often requested that these settings should be on a per-view (per-list) basis instead, perhaps especially as regards saved searches. I totally agree with this, but:

In addition to this, though, I think it would be extremely useful also to have a global filter (or "pre-filter") - an overall scope or area of focus - that stays in place no matter how you switch between all the various views and list filter settings.

A good example of this is if you are at work. Then it would be useful to be able to set the "scope" (global filter) to "work", thus masking all other tasks in all views. This means you could use or "re-use" all your favorite views, both standard views and custom saved searches, both at work and at home and in whatever other types of "roles" you have defined for your life.
Folke X

Posted Oct 13, 2011 in: Due date versus reminders
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 13, 2011
I am also using metod #2, but of course every method has its pros and cons. This method is quick and easy, even though you need to rely on the taks notes or title to some extent, but for those who like to keep a record of everything they have checked off it would be better to use metod #1.
Folke X

Posted Oct 07, 2011 in: False double-click on empty Notes
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 07, 2011
FF7. Task notes. Grid format.
Folke X

Posted Oct 06, 2011 in: False double-click on empty Notes
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 06, 2011
Minor thing (but a little bit annoying):

Sometimes when I click a Notes icon, the Notes section opens and immediately closes (or closes and reopens) just as if I had double-clicked. Obviously I thought this was something to do with my mouse.

Then I noticed that this only happens with empty Notes. I have observed it for a while and it never seems to happen with those Notes that actually have something in them, only those that are completely empty.

The workaround seems to be to click on the corresponding icon of some other task that has text in its notes section. Although this doesn't really fix the problem, it seems to "calm it down" a bit, enough to be able to get some notes in :)
Folke X

Posted Oct 03, 2011 in: Daily costum planner
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 03, 2011
Correct, you cannot drag and drop the order, but what you can do is select a sorting order that makes sense. When a list is sorted, certain divider bars appear in the list, and you can use these for your "optical navigation". You should also use saved searches (corresponds to RTM's smart lists), because by getting rid of everything you do not want to see opens new avenues for how you might want to sort your list.

Persionally, I use the Status field as my main control field, and I usually have my lists sorted by Status, Star, Priority. Through the saved searches my lists are usually heavily filtered, i.e. everything on them is things I want to see, which means I can sort them in all kinds of orders without risking any "junk" floating up to the top, no matter how I sort them.

This message was edited Oct 03, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Oct 03, 2011 in: Weekly Planner - a question
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 03, 2011
Eitan,

I am not even sure what you mean. You say you do not use "fake" due date - I appreciate that, neither do I - but I do not understand what you mean by schedule unless it is made up of "fake" time slots for the respective tasks. Could you please explain.

Personally, I do not even try to make a schedule. Everything is in a big queue, and I promote things manually to a higher "Status" (I am using the Status field for this manual promotion). I also use due dates, but only "real" ones.

If I want to look ahead one week I currently use a saved search that I have called "Now / 1W" which includes everything that is due the next week, plus anything that has certain other combinations of stars, statuses and priorities. That gives me an overall picture of what I should expect to do, but it does not give an exact date for the dateless tasks.
Folke X

Posted Oct 02, 2011 in: Tasks over time
Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2011
  • Score: 1
I use Status as my main control, and the above situation I would deal with like this:

First, when I enter the task (say in August) I put:
Status = Hold
Due = Oct 1
And maybe some Notes

When Oct 1 arrives and the task pops up in my "Now" list I change the fields to:
Status = either Next Action or Active (depending on my workload that day)
Due = Oct 5

I use saved searches a lot, and I have a few different saved hotlists with varying scope. I probably would spot this task during one of these quick reviews, too, even if I had put Oct 5 as a due date from the outset.
Folke X

Posted Oct 02, 2011 in: Search dependent highlighting
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Oct 02, 2011
Here is another useful Pro feature request related to saved searches:

I would find it it useful to be able to specify highlighting of certain tasks (rows) depending on which of the search criteria were met.

In general, let's say you want to be able to more easily discern repeating tasks, or tomorrow's tasks, or whatever, then this woould come in very handy.

A more special example could be if you have many saved searches, and some of them are quite similar, maybe just a bit narrower or wider, then it would be useful to have the option to highlight the "additonal" tasks - the ones that are not on the narrower list. In particular, this would go hand in hand with the other feature, which I understand is on the list already, that allows you to reference another search as one of your search criteria.

The highlighting as such need not be terribly complicated - maybe just a choice of background color, or a new icon column or whatever.

This message was edited Oct 02, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 30, 2011

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 27, 2011 in: Folder vs Status Field for GTD
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 27, 2011
And maybe because the Status fields are a bit "enhanced" or "tweaked" or "misunderstood" - not quite by the book?

Personally, I like the Status field. I use it as my main field, and have defined my own interpretations for each Status.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 27, 2011
I am sure this must have been mentioned somewhere in the past, but I would like to underline it:

It would be really super-great if it were possible to see Google Calendar events in Toodledo (preferrably with some graphical indication that the task is a GCal event).

I currently sync the other way round, but I do not quite like it. GCal (being a calendar) gets all cluttered with all the tiny check-off tasks that are due each day. Also, GCal obviously cannot show dateless tasks, so it is impossible to even dream of using GCal as the main interface.

Therefore, and for many other reasons, I use Toodledo as my main interface, my main point of reference, and I like Toodledo a lot. Unfortunately, though, I therefore sometimes forget to even look at GCal, which is disaster ...

It would be perfect to continue to use GCal as an appointment schedule, because it gives a good graphical overview and for other reasons, but to use Toodledo as the main compound checklist for everything I need to do today - both tasks and GCal events.

The important thing is to be able to SEE the GCal events in Toodledo; it is not even nearly as important (not very important at all) to be able to enter them via Toodledo.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Sep 23, 2011 in: Edit Completed Date?
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 23, 2011
  • Score: -1
Just very curious (no criticism): When does it matter?
Folke X

Posted Sep 22, 2011 in: Problem with server time/notifications?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 22, 2011
Possible clue:

I have never reported this, because it is not a really a problem for me. I do not know if it is related to the above, but I also experience a clock related problem in the web interface as follows:

If I mofify a task during the first hour or so after midnight, it does not show up in Searches for Date modified is Today. It does, however, show up in the preconfigured list Main/Recently Modified, and with the correct date.

I have thought that time values maybe are saved in multiple places and are updated inconsistently sometimes, and have left it at that as it has not mattered much to me. I have double-checked my own time zone settings, of course, but that is all.
Folke X

Posted Sep 20, 2011 in: Hotlist Email
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 20, 2011
Maybe as a temporary workaround you could consider using one (or more) of the fields Star, Status or Priority as a trigger.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2011
Or just take any view and Sort it by due date - either using the Sort dropdown menu or by clicking the due date column header in grid mode.
Folke X

• Folke X
Well, there could be better ways ...

... but no, that is not what I meant:

Let's say you are repeating the "reminder task" weekly. Everytime it repeats you start a non-repeating task which you probably won't check for off about a week or so. This "current" task you could add things to all week long if you like, and then eventually check it off.

When the repeating "reminder task" shows up again you start a new non-repeating task for the next chapter (or whatever it is) of the book, and can start adding comments to that one too.

If you do not finish your chapters quickly enough you could end up having more than one chapter current at the same time, if that is what you would like. Or you could postpone the date of the reminder if it comes much too early.

I agree it is not an elegant solution, but I doubt that an elegant one exists. But let us hope someone else has a better idea.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
Yes, you are right, Purveyor! I missed that again (you have mentioned it before, but I had forgotten. Sorry.).
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next