ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Christoph Dollis"
Christoph Dollis

Posted Mar 01, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
Score: 0
Posted by f_murray:

After deleting all completed tasks up to and including yesterday, deleting the Toodledo app from both my ipad as well as my itunes and syncing my ipad and downloading the app for the third time I finally have it working. This is the most difficult and frustrating upgrade I have seen on my ipad. Thanks to all for their responses.

You're welcome.
Christoph Dollis

Score: 1
Posted by bcmyers:

I was one of the more vocal critics of the first attempt to redesign the app, and I had publicly stated based on screenshots that I expected to dislike the second attempt at a redesign. I was wrong.

There are a few things design-wise I still don't like but the functionality is great. The app flows nicely, the UI is still very intuitive, and it's easy to use. I expect the bugs will be worked out and this app will ultimately be as rock-solid stable as the prior version.

Lesson learned: don't pre-judge. Props to Jake and the rest of the Toodledo team. You're still the reigning champs in the productivity app space.

I'm not yet sure the new app is all that -- I note that the iPad users seem really put out by its design features (smaller buttons and whatnot) -- the iPhone users like myself, not so much (I guess we're used to it).

But ... the general philosophy of Toodledo in how it thinks about automatic task sorting with a large variety of options that can be turned on or off and such ... I remain a ProPlus subscriber for a reason. Toodledo has allowed me to design a system that really, really helps my life.

My system incorporates elements from other people's approaches (especially Reinhard Engels, Michael Linenberger, and Mark Forster), but it is highly-customized for me.

I am looking forward to seeing the new app run faster. :-P

This message was edited Mar 01, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

Score: 2
Posted by fool:
Dear All

I am glad to inform you that I succeeded in downgrading from 3.0.2 back to 3.0.1. and is now enjoying the speed, the font size and the simplicity of the design.

lol Congratulations.
Christoph Dollis

Posted Feb 28, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
Posted by kentpavelka:
How does one purge old, completed tasks?

Short of deleting them one by one, the easiest way is to do a search using the website.

Search > New Search

Use criteria "Checked Off" :: "Yes"

Then do a multi-edit for "Deleted". Check first, of course, that you've only chosen completed tasks.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

Oh, I didn't see Purveyor's last comment.

You can give that a try. I hope it works for you. Check out how to install apps using the free program iFunBox from my previous comment on it -- it works great. There are also online instructions for how to do same with iTunes, but I can't help you there. I hate iTunes. :P
Christoph Dollis

Well, Frank, at least you gave it a try. I'm sorry that hasn't worked for you so far.

To answer your question, I don't work for Toodledo.
Christoph Dollis

Oh, and you could always use the mobile version of the Toodledo website for a few days:

http://m.toodledo.com/
Christoph Dollis

Good God, Frank.

There are performance issues -- they know. Crashes with some iPad configurations. They're working on it.

Even if they had it all ironed out this second, Apple still needs to approve the app before it appears on the store.

I and other commenters have outlined how you can backup your old, working version of the app before upgrading in the future, just in case. You can do this for all your apps, any mission critical app, or just Toodledo.

You could try writing to support and seeing if you can get a .ipa of the previous version of the app for installing as I've mentioned. That may or may not work for whatever reason, but you could give it a shot and find out.
Christoph Dollis

I like the idea of forking the Toodledo app project, but as a temporary measure, not a permanent one.

It would, long term, be a burden on Toodledo developers and support to have two versions (I think; they can correct me if I'm wrong).

However, obviously there are recognized problems with the new Toodledo app and a significant number of users are displeased. So, perhaps Toodledo could revert to the old app in its present development channel and launch the "Toodledo BETA" app also.

This would allow thorough, widespread testing (users could even install both apps on the same device), and even if customers didn't like the new app's performance, they wouldn't have any reason to complain. It could be a public relations win.

Finally, when the new app is working better from both a performance and design standpoint (the button size issues people, especially iPad owners, have mentioned, for example), and the majority of "Toodledo BETA" users are satisfied, then Toodledo could announce its intention to close down the BETA app upgrade path and to instead put that app in the "Toodledo" channel. The final upgrade in the BETA path could have a big message on it which says, "Look, it's time to uninstall this and go install the app from the regular Toodledo channel," or words to that effect.

My hope is that this suggestion makes sense for Toodledo as a stopgap measure for its own business interests. If it doesn't, please disregard.

Christoph Dollis

Mike Curl,

I was able to do exactly what you want to do using iFunBox with no hassles, following the process I outlined in my last comment (not the one for iTunes -- that was someone else's procedure).

Your mileage may vary, but it worked for me without a snag. I was able to try out the new version (and saw some things I liked, some things that were so/so, and the performance which took the wind from my sails). I'm now using the old version until the performance issues with the new version are ironed out.

Christoph Dollis

Hi Alan,

For future reference, you can backup any iOS app as an .ipa file before upgrading using iTunes and the process mentioned by northside.mobile:
Posted by tgoins:

Inevitably an iOS update will break compatibility with the app but it is impossible to say when.

The website may stop syncing properly with 3.0.1 in the future but only Jake or a Toodle-dev can answer that (Jake?)

For now I would recommend:

1. Open iTunes
2. Go to Apps page
3. Find Toodledo
4. Right click and select option to view in explorer (Windows)
5. Copy the .ipa to your desktop or somewhere safe in case you ever accidentally update and need to revert
Now personally I don't like using iTunes for much, so I accomplish the same thing by using "iFunBox" (free program, also works as an iOS file browser and general transfer tool) or "DiskAid" (paid program that I bought first and does much the same thing). iFunBox also has "iFileExpress" in the app store, which is an iOS app that works as a file browser on your device itself -- also free.

As far as how to reinstall the app using iTunes, I'm not really sure, but with iFunBox it's just a matter of deleting your old app and installing the new one. There's a section of the program for that. You won't have any difficulty with it.

Using iFunBox, you go to the iFunbox classic tab, expand the tree for user applications, right click on it, and Backup to .ipa Package. To install a .ipa, you click on "Install App" up top but within the same tab.

Now, what to do if you haven't backed up your previous version as an .ipa file?

I can't send you one because while I'm ethically comfortable making an archival backup for my own use, it wouldn't be right to start sending out copies of Jake's app without his permission. I know most of his money is made on subscriptions and also you've already paid for it, but it's the principle of the thing --- it just isn't mine to share.

However, if you're truly dissatisfied but you were previously happy with Toodledo, maybe you can create a ticket and ask support if they can send you version 3.0.1 so you can install it and get yourself up and running again. I don't know if that's a possibility, but you could always ask support if so.

Failing that, I'm not sure.

As far as the old Toodledo app not being supported, I'm not too worried about it because my guess is it'll be quite some time off. If and when it happens, my guess is the new app will be much improved.

Those are my ten cents, Alan (since Canada just ditched the penny!). Good luck.
Christoph Dollis

Posted Feb 27, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
From another user like yourself (I've had a ProPlus account for a couple years), I'm sorry to hear that, Alan.

I find the sorting functions of Toodledo absolutely wonderful for how I've set up my system, which is different than any other task-management system I've read about although it incorporates elements of a few. So, I'm a fan.

But I use it on iPhone not iPad, and I downgraded to version 3.0.1 of the app, so what can I say? You may well be right.

Since I personally love and depend on Toodledo and for me its strengths vastly outweigh its weaknesses, I hope for the continued success and expansion of the project. Therefore, I hope Toodledo (1) gets this upgrade right and working fast and stable with a better-than-original GUI; (2) bites the pride bullet and improves the original GUI instead, if it is in fact more popular, faster, or stabler; or (3) keeps the new GUI, but improves it along the lines you have suggested, Alan.

What about downgrading to the previous version as I have done? It would certainly be a lot easier than switching to another service and it seemed that was working out well for you (as it was and is for me).

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

iOS apps often crash when they run out of RAM.

I use a Cydia app that lets me free up RAM manually. I've found with some apps -- and it's not specific to Toodledo by any means -- closing other background apps and freeing up RAM will stop the recalcitrant app from crashing.

My subjective impression was that the new Toodledo app was using more RAM than the old one and that was part of why it's running slower and sometimes crashing.

Could the problem with the crashing be related to that?

I.e., the old app would run even with lots of other apps open in the background, but the new app crashes in circumstances where the old app would have kept chugging along.

Just a thought.

Christoph Dollis

I do expect that any performance issues and bugs will be fixed soon enough.
I hope you're right because that's the most important thing.

Christoph Dollis

Posted Feb 26, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
Score: -1
If anyone wants to backup any or all of their apps before doing an upgrade, you can download a program called iFunBox for this purpose. It also works as a great iPhone or iPad file browser and means you don't have to use iTunes to transfer files, music, photos, etc. It's much easier to use than iTunes for this purpose.

I assume it's OK with Apple on some level, since the developer of iFunBox also produces the iFileExpress app in the Apple iOS app store. It works with either iFunBox or iTunes.

iFunBox (Windows or Mac) and iFileExpress are free.

Personally, I LOVE Toodledo ... I'm literally staying with iOS because of it ... I've built my whole system of action-planning around it ... but I *need* the speed of version 2.x of the Toodledo app. Fortunately, I backed it up before upgrading to version 3.0.2; I was able to downgrade to version 3.0.1 -- which is essentially the same as the last minor version of version 2.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

Posted Feb 26, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
I have ~600 tasks (together with some details for each), and it takes ~4 seconds for each keystroke of a single character into the search field. It is unacceptably slow.
Since the website doesn't search through the task notes, just the task name, and for other reasons, I'd prefer the app just search the task name.

Especially if that would help speed it up.
Christoph Dollis

Posted Feb 25, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
Posted by fcisneros3:
This version is still not ready in my opinion. iPad version crashing 9 out of 10 times. The 1 time where it does work, it takes nearly 25 seconds for tasks to appear. It's basically unusable, which is the same problem (for me) as the last update. iPhone works but is very very very slow. I'm very disappointed, and have been a longtime customer and proponent. Have you tested on users that have hundreds (or even thousands) of tasks, I have a feeling it has something to do with that.
I have 277 tasks, and my experience is somewhere in between the speed of version 2.x of the app (which was good) and your experience.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

Before upgrading, I had backed up the Toodledo mobile app version 2.x iOS app using iFunBox (which is, incidentally, a great and free iOS file browser for Windows, Mac, and iOS itself -- it doesn't require jailbreaking).

Using iFunBox, I reverted back to 2.x and, yes, it is faster. And yet in some ways I do like the new layout better.

I hope that speed and stability will be improved in 3.0.3.
Christoph Dollis

A few commenters have said the app doesn't work for them.

My general impression is the new app is slower and uses more resources. For example, when in the settings section, then clicking "Tasks" at the bottom, it takes longer to open than did the previous version. I also think it may be using more RAM than the prior version.

I hope that version 3.1 will have separate Sort Orders for each View, along with Saved Searches. And maybe more than three icons at the bottom, with the choice to remove Notes ...

Hear, hear.

FOR EXAMPLE, at the bottom, there could at least be the option for "Tasks" and "Hotlist". Clicking Tasks would bring us to whatever Tasks view, with the option to back up by clicking the top-left Tasks button and selecting a view from there. Clicking "Hotlist" would bring us directly there. And when "Saved Searches" is allowed as an option, it should be able to be used as a bottom-bar icon as well, along with "Tasks" and "Hotlist".

In fact, being allowed to choose our preferred 2, 3, or 4 views (depending on whether we've disabled "Notes" as an option, which I surely would) and placing them as one-touch icons at the bottom, would be the cat's meow in terms of usability.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013.
Christoph Dollis

I'm still testing the new app. Overall I'm still thinking it's a definite improvement.

However I just discovered a frustrating bug.

Even with "Lock Portrait Rotation" on in "General" > "Preferences", the keyboard swings to landscape mode.

This did not happen in the 2.x versions.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6      Next