ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Hosting URL for pics?
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 12, 2011
  • Score: 0
That worked! Thanks for the help.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Folke X:
Like this?

I'm not seeing anything in your post, other than the "like this". Are you trying to demonstrate it's not working for you either?

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Folke X:
Just had to try it:

Salgud, the way I did it above was just paste the "raw" html code right in - no quotes or brackets or anything added, and no brackets removed.

As you can see above, I tried that too, and it doesn't work (using either of the 2 URL's provided at ImageShack). Maybe I should try another website to store the pic?

Edit: Finally got it, just had to edit the hell out of the URL they gave me to embed. Will do for now, but still can't get the actual image to show, just the URL.

Salgud

• Salgud
Is there anyone who would like to offer some help?

Thanks!
Salgud

• Salgud
Am trying to post an image here that I stored at ImageShack, but it keeps turning my image tags (can't show them here, they just disappear inside the quotes) into italics tags and the link doesn't work. Any suggestions?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/gwhome.jpg/]

Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by simon:
It's so flexible, you can make it do just about anything you like, except maybe fry eggs.

I'm going to search the forums and the help files, I simply refuse to believe that Toodledo can't fry eggs. It's just got to be there somewhere.

I've tried, but it only cooks fried eggs, and I like mine scrambled. :)
Salgud

Posted Sep 12, 2011 in: Postpone
  • Salgud
You can control where the un-categorized items show on your list with the Sort order. Of course, while you can do this to put tasks with no Due Date and the top, it will also put Overdue tasks at the bottom, which may not be what you want. This is another oft requested feature, to be able to create "composite" views, where you can combine different filter sets and sort orders and different view sections in one table. Not here yet.

I have an "Inbox" view (actually, it's "A Inbox" in my system, in order to force it to appear at the top of my Saved Searches to constantly remind me to check it). It filters out completed tasks of course, then tasks with no Context or Folder or Status. Every task in my system has these attributes, or should have. I've been using this system long enough that I seldom forget when I add a task, but I still need to check periodically to be sure. And occasionally, one slips through. You could add no Due Date to this list (I deliberately have lot's of tasks with no Due Date). I agree, it's not as good as having them at the top of your daily list, but until there's a better solution, it works for me. YMMV.

To do lists have turned me from a disorganized slob into a highly organized and successful person in only a couple of years. I take them way too seriously.

I take mine seriously too. Back in the day, before there was ADD/ADHD, we were just "disorganized". I could never remember lists, or more than two instructions at a time. I had a boss at a summer job during college hand me a set of Day Timers my second day there (1969). I took the hint, and have had some sort of task list ever since. I went digital in 1998. Regardless of how I do it, I need some sort of reminder system as I tend to forget, mostly the small items, but occasionally a big one. Not good. So I'm very grateful when I find one that works for me, which is not easy. I'm picky. That's why I love TD.

I'm constantly reminded, and amazed, that virtually no one I works with keeps much of a task list more than a sticky note based mess. And they're constantly surprised that they forget yet another important thing. We even have one manager here that openly states that "I hate checklists"! Of course, she's one of the biggest offenders at forgetting important stuff.

That said, I also try, with mixed results, to keep my sense of humor about it all. Life's too important to be taken seriously. :)

Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by craig1f:
I think that will get extremely hairy from a complexity point of view, since you can already do this with a saved search and it accomplishes exactly the same thing. Better to just update the iPhone app to have access to all your saved searches than to add a new setting.

It seems like the power-users all believe that everything revolves around saved-searches. So if the iPhone simply has access to them, then everyone will be happy.

I think "extremely hairy" is somewhat of an exaggeration. I've been wondering how I would set up TD for when I get my next iPhone this winter. There are a number of iPhone apps that sync with TD (Android too, though I don't pay attention to them). I have been wondering how I'll use one of those apps and still have separate "Home" and "Work" task lists as I do now, without access to Saved Searches. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I figured it out this weekend. I'm using TD Slim as my test app because I can access that directly through the browser, so if I can make a system work with that, I figure it'll work with any of the iPhone apps.

Up to now, I've been using "Starred" as my daily list of tasks, with Saved Searches for "Work - Starred" and "Home - Starred". This works fine for now, but obviously won't if I don't have Saved Searches on the iPhone. But I've been using "Next Action" status as a staging tool to mark those tasks which I think I'll be working on soon, then starring them when ready. But I've also realized I don't really need this extra step in my process, so I just Star them now.

So for the iPhone, I could set my Hotlist settings to "0 days in advance" and "Next Action" to see my Work task list, and use "Starred" for my Home task list. Problem solved.

While this may by a bit convoluted, it's certainly not even close to "extremely hairy". This is one of the many things I love about TD. It's so flexible, you can make it do just about anything you like, except maybe fry eggs. You have to know the software pretty well, and you have to not-take-too-seriously the labels the developers have chosen for the features. I think this is where a lot of people get hung-up. If you think a label is carved in stone and sacred, you limit yourself and TD to minimal capabilities. If you decide that Status "Waiting" really means "everything I intended to do while in Biloxi but didn't get done", that's what it means for you. The labels are just labels, nothing more.

I agree that TD should get Saved Searches onto the iPhone, definitely. But they have thousands of enhancements on their task list, and who knows how soon it will happen. To me, better to come up with a good workaround that gives me what I need today, or in this case, soon, than to wait what could well be months before they get to this particular feature.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 11, 2011
I can't say here what I think, Andreas, so I'll just suggest POLITELY, that you pony up the other $15 and pay the outrageous $30/yr for a service that undoubtedly saved you many times that just by keeping track of the construction of your house!

Sorry, but my tongue is bleeding (I guess, since I'm typing this, it should be my fingertips that are bleeding, but either way...) I need to go do something else before I start to tell Andreas...

Nevermind.
Salgud

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: Simple System X
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2011
  • Score: -1
Good stuff! I almost missed it because it was in the GTD forum, and I seldom come here. I just hate it when GTDrs are right! ;)

Thanks. Will need to read it again and then make some adjustments to my system.
Salgud

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: Postpone
  • Salgud
The key to using TD at a high level is the Saved Searches. Many of us seldom stray to the other Views, except to go looking for a task that's gone AWOL. I'm not sure in which view you're having the problem with tomorrow's tasks showing up. I use a lot of Saved Searches with this line in the search:

| And | Due Date | Is before | tomorrow |

which eliminates such tasks. Learning the finer points of Saved Searches is what gives you access to the higher end of TD's capabilities, and this is best done by following the forums and experimentation.

And no, you can't just enter 1:45 and let the software figure it out. A better, more intuitive date picker is on "the list" of over 1600 items that Jeff maintains for development. I'd like this to be easier too.

Task dependencies are also on "the list". A Postpone feature has been requested quite a bit lately, so I imagine it is too.

Quick Add could be improved - it only adds what you type without any way to fill in the various fields. It's just to capture a thought to be detailed later.

I too used RTM for a while, and also Things. Things is slowly dying from atrophy and I hear it's not much better at RTM these days, so it's a good time to move to TD, which is very much alive and well tended to, and, in general, more feature rich and flexible. Not to mention friendly forums, except for me! :) Every forum needs at least one curmudgeon to keep things interesting.
Salgud

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: Postpone
  • Salgud
I gather from your posts that you haven't looked at the Help screens or searched the forums for answers to your issues. Some of them, in particular, item 3, are already fixable if you figure out how TD works. The best way to start is doing some inquiries, maybe even before you suggest enhancements?
Salgud

• Salgud
It depends on what View you're using. If you're using one of the canned views, like "Hotlist", you might have to change the Hotlist settings in your Settings page to get what you want.

A lot of us live almost entirely in the Saved Searches Views that we create for ourselves based on how we have TD set up. If you go to that View, and click on "New Search", you'll see the starting point for creating searches. It defaults to hiding completed tasks for obvious reasons. If you just want to filter future tasks, add a line like

| And | Due Date | Is before | tomorrow |

Then make sure you Save the search (button at the upper right). That should get you started. Of course, as you get familiar with Searches, you can create very complex combinations if you so desire. Or not.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: My TD Review
  • Salgud
I posted the following review at "The ABC3s of Miscellany"

http://bit.ly/pRVRPO

"I've been using TD for over a year now, and have come to rely on it completely at work. Still working on getting more organized at home.

Either way, TD is one of the best task managers I've used in 14 years of using electronic todo lists. In it's free version, it's one of the most complete task managers available, including such features as Folders (anything you want them to be), Contexts (Customizable, usually things like work, home, errands), Status (Active, Next Action, Hold, Waiting, Someday, Delegated, etc.), Start and Due Date and time with extensive repeating task capabilities.

For a lousy $15/yr, they throw in sub-tasks and individual notifications and Goals (yes, finally I've found a task manager that can tie my tasklist to my goals at 3 different levels), but I'd pay it anyway, just to keep them in business. For $30/yr, they add document storage and a few other high level features. All a bargain no matter how you slice it.

This web app can be used by beginners or experts because you get to choose in the Settings which features you want to use. Like it simple? Choose one or two and go for it. Like to get serious? No problem, just choose all you can handle.

The Help screens are basic and need some updating, but are a good starting point. Beyond that, the Forums are some of the best in the biz, and the owner, Jeff, visits every day and replies to any posts that need his input, usually within a day. You can't beat that! Other users are there to help as well.

TD is one of the most powerful task managers available with some of the best support you could hope for - a great combination! And oh, yes, updates are frequent and responsive to user input, particularly to the input in the forums. It just doesn't get any better than this. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed!"
Salgud

• Salgud
Is the task starred?
Salgud

Posted Sep 08, 2011 in: Calendar
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 08, 2011
Click on "Calendar" in the upper left, under "View by".
Salgud

Posted Sep 08, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 08, 2011
  • Score: 2
Posted by brian:
Posted by Toodledo:
A very very tiny percentage of our users are reporting slow page loads. We haven't been able to reproduce this on any of our test computers and we haven't been able to figure out what could be causing. If you could create a support ticket and provide some additional information and run some experiments, that would help us out.

Not really "very very tiny." There are at least three posts on this page and more on the previous one that mention slowness. Ignoring the issue won't make it go away. It's better to restore the old interface, work on the speed issues, then put the new one back once the problems are resolved. Ever since the new interface came out, I've been using a third party tool to get around the performance problems. For one, I don't care about cosmetic changes. I care about functionality. If performance is sluggish, nothing else matters.

-- Brian

ROFLMAO!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 07, 2011
Or you can copy all the abbreviations into a TD Notebook page where it's very handy.
Salgud

Posted Sep 07, 2011 in: Next Action (todo) creation?
  • Salgud
You can clone the task, which isn't the same, but is the fastest way I know to create a duplicate task, then just change the name and due date.
Salgud

Posted Sep 07, 2011 in: Postpone
  • Salgud
Last time I saw, they had 1600 items on the task list.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next