Salgud

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: Removing the left side bar
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2011
  • Score: 0
Posted by max:
Thanks for doing this.

Have you measured how often users use the top bar functions (Add Task, Show, Sort, @, etc) versus using the sidebar functions (View By)?

I find that once I have my format set up, the only top bar function I use is Add Task. All the rest of my time is spent in the left bar changing my views. (So I am constantly having to make it come back and forth - and I do need the screen space for longer tasks)

Therefore, in the way that I work, it would make more sense to have View By (and maybe Add Task) in the top bar, and all the formatting functions in the sidebar (and to be able to make these seldom use functions disappear).

However, I have no idea how typical my use is compared to others' without measurements.

Max

I certainly don't know about the numbers, but from a basic UI design standpoint (which I also don't know anything about except I've been using them since they first came out), that doesn't seem at all logical or intuitive. To me, the various views down the left side and the filter and formatting options across the top is similar to other UIs I've used. In fact, I was using a style that reconfigured TD this way when the new UI was introduced. Can't remember any software doing the opposite. I don't think it's simply a matter of what gets used the most, but also of what makes sense to most users, particularly new users (experienced users are used to whatever has been there before, as evidenced by the few but vociferous outcries when the new, much better UI was introduced a couple of weeks ago, and they hated it).

If you made frequency of use the only criteria for screen placement, and I know you're not advocating that, then the most used menu item would be top left, and lesser used ones going down and to the right from there. This would be the extreme version of what you're suggesting, of course. But you can see that this would lead to menus scattered all over, with no rhyme or order other and frequency of use. Wouldn't be very useful to anyone.

So other factors come into play when a UI designer designs a layout, as they should. Things like what's been done before, both in this app and in others, as well as what's intuitive to the majority (lots of variation here), are considerations, along with many others I haven't a clue of.

IOW, I think the current layout is much more intuitive to most users than what you're suggesting, not just because it's intuitive to me, but also because enough people clamored for it that there were styles that way long before the new UI was released. I'm not aware of any (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) that had the format you're suggesting.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: quick search too far to the right?
  • Salgud
Sorry, Quick Search is at top right.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by sbs:
@Salgud--I tried that out yesterday but couldn't get the EN note link to open in TD. Have you been successful?

When I first tested this a month or two ago, it worked great. Now I can't get it to work either. Something broken since then? Maybe with the new UI?
Salgud

• Salgud
Ok, I see what you're talking about now, but I don't have that problem. Every task has nearly every field filled out, with a few exceptions like Location and tasks without dates. So there's no 'sea of "no Context" ' on my screen.

I understand the intensity of those who think they can save time by not entering a few fields each day, or by avoiding that great evil, the mouse, but I decided some years ago that the second or two saved this way was so insignificant as to be meaningless. I'm a believer in Pareto's Law, also called the 80/20 Rule. In this case, it means that I used to worry about the time it takes to make a few keystrokes, yet wasted far, far more time each day cruising the web or watching tv when I could have been doing more useful things.

In fact, one could easily argue that the time spent in coming to these forums, posting a request to save time using keystrokes instead of mousing, then returning several times to read and reply to other's posts, wastes far more time than all the "unnecessary" keystrokes/mouse-moves that you'll do in a year.

So worrying about wasting a grand total of a minute, or less, a day, on additional keystrokes is like worrying about the trickle of water coming into the boat around the prop-shaft seal when the waves are crashing down from above in a deluge, rapidly filling the boat. I no longer worry about wasting seconds in my life, more about wasting hours. If it ever gets to the point, and I doubt it will, that the biggest time waster in my life is unnecessary keystrokes, I'll have to rethink my strategy. YMMV.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: quick search too far to the right?
  • Salgud
Posted by Folke_1293790322:
I must be blind. I have a 1920 screen, but I cannot see a "Quick Search" box anywhere. Where is it?

Under the Notebook tab, says "Quick Add Task".
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 06, 2011
Interesting. I don't have 'a sea of "None" "No context" "No Date" '. I only have those things in the menus. You must be looking at something entirely different than me. Also not sure about what converting to-dos into menu boxes woud be for. Besides, I would only try a new style, unless I was desperate, without seeing a screenshot. Was just curious, really am very happy with the new face. I think it's great that others offer alternatives for those who have those areas (different browser maybe?) or just don't like the new UI. Each to his own.

This message was edited Aug 06, 2011.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Folke_1293790322:
Just curious, how come no one seems interested in using a bunch of entirely separate fields (instead of a composite tag field)?

There are already a lot of fields in TD, and I've found a use for most of them. Having a bunch more, all of them tags, sounds like a nightmare to me, even though I use tags for a number of different things. I'd prefer hierarchical tags to a bunch of separate tag fields to try to keep track of.
Salgud

• Salgud
Since I've started using TD, I've felt that the tag configuration was a weaker feature. I find it very difficult to find a tag in the "tag cloud", and don't like that tags are displayed in order of number used. I'd like to see them in alpha order so I can find the one I'm looking for, whether it's while I'm tagging a task or looking in the list of tags in the tags view. Certainly, I'd be happy with an option at the top of the tags view to sort by alpha or by frequency, and that setting would also determine how they appeared in the tag list used when tagging tasks.

A good implementation of hierarchical tagging would be even nicer.

I imagine a drop down list would work fine for me.

This message was edited Aug 06, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2011 in: Locations: How do You use Them?
  • Salgud
Just a thought to pass along to others on how you can use these fields in some creative ways, I use Location in an entirely different way than is intended. I set-up many meetings for the execs where I work. I had never used the Location feature because, for now, I don't have a smartphone (which will change when iPhone 5 gets here). Since the meeting's location is very important to my planning of the meeting, I use the Location field for that, so I can see the location without having to look in the Note for it. I use "Mtg" as a tag, and have a saved search for that tag so I can look at all the meetings I'm planning and see at a glance which ones I've got a location reserved (in doesn't go into the Location field until it's been reserved. Before that, prospective locations go in the Note field).

So many ways this software can be adapted to user's needs!
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2011 in: LOVE the new UI!!!
  • Salgud
Posted by steveboatman:
Just wanted to add my kudos for the new UI. It looks very professional and clean - nice job. I also agree with the other comments that I miss the expand/collapse left panel capability. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to have.

Thanks for this great app.

Guess you haven't read the latest update - you now can hide the left panel, it's a new option in the Settings page.
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2011 in: Exporting from Things into TD
  • Salgud
Sorry, can't help you with the conversion. Just wanted to let you know that I converted from Things just over a year ago, and have been very glad I did. Regular upgrades, including this last big one, which greatly improved both the look and the ease of use, along with very active participation in the forums, make this a much, much better place to be.
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2011 in: Strange layout
  • Salgud
We have IE7 at work, but I've downloaded and use FF5 with most everything including TD.
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Limit to no. of locations?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2011
Should have thought to look there too. Thanks for the reply!
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Limit to no. of locations?
  • Salgud
I attempted a forum search to get this info, but couldn't find the answer. Can someone tell me if there is a limit to the number of locations in TD? If so, what is it?

Thanks!
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2011 in: Strange layout
  • Salgud
Last Tues, 26th, they rolled out a whole new interface. Everything has changed.
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: Just invented a new kind of Search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Posted by lparanal:
If it's an issue coming from an email outside our 1:1 schedule, I change the subject of the email to F (for follow-up):X(boss' initial) - question? i.e. F:K-has the test file been reviewed? and forward it to my toodledo address or I add a task inside TD with this format. For our weekly 1-on-1s, I collate everything in a note, titled Agenda and put the current items on top of the old ones, separated by the date.

If that works for you, great. Personally, I'm a KISS kinda guy!
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: Multi-edit calendar
  • Salgud
Gracias!
Salgud

• Salgud
Deleted

This message was edited Aug 04, 2011.
Salgud

• Salgud
Same here, something in this last round of changes? If I move quickly enough, I can get my cursor on the date box and hold it. Otherwise, it's gone!

This message was edited Aug 04, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011 - Part 2
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Posted by jeffrey.putney:
Love the old site, love the new site, hate the admin's attitude towards customer communications.

The way they run things now, I sometimes feel like us users are just an inconvenient nuisance in their little hobby project.

You nailed it, Jeffrey! This new release today with all these changes which completely ignored their customers requests is the last straw! If I were you, I'd leave and never, ever come back.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next