ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Qrystal"
Qrystal

Score: 0
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jul 09, 2008
  • Score: 0
I use tags like subfolders, and when I'm in Folder view I choose to sort by tag more often than not. But I'm only there when I'm organizing my tasks, not when I'm actually working on them.

When I'm working on tasks, and want to be sure I'm working on the most important tasks, I'm in the Main view, either at the Hotlist or the Starred list, and usually sorted by Importance or Due Date.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: 30boxes-like drag & drop todo list
  • Qrystal
Try Starring the tasks you want to do today. That adds one point of Importance to any task, and also allows it to be listed in its own view: Main -> Starred.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Features I Would Like To See
  • Qrystal
Also:
- Try the Toodledo Firefox add-on for quick task adding.
- Simplifying the Navigation menu on the left... I think that's been requested or considered, because I agree, it would be nice. (I don't use Sharing, Calendar, Files, or Booklet.)
- Subtasks can be mimicked by using the notes field, if you aren't quite ready to upgrade to the pro account, or want a little more flexibility in how subtasks are implemented. I make checkboxes like this:
[_] task to do
[x] completed task
[/] half-done task
I do have a pro account and sometimes use actual subtasks as well for some things, but there's a lot of cases where I prefer to keep my progress notes simpler.

The overall layout takes some getting used to, for sure, but once you realize how powerful it is, it's hard to even consider going elsewhere. It can be as simple or as complicated as you make it out to be.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Juggling Home and Work
  • Qrystal
It sounds like you're in need of a way to distinguish between "actually doing the tasks" and "organizing the tasks".

When I'm in ORGANIZE MODE, flipping around between folders for different "realms of existence" isn't such a big deal, because I try to keep my organizing time to a minimum.

I basically have three Work folders for different major realms of work I do, one huge Home folder, a Self folder for personal development and fun, a Blogging folder, and one folder called People (for stuff that's neither Work nor Home nor for Me). If I'm organizing stuff, I'll just make sure I don't even look at the folders for stuff I shouldn't be organizing at the moment.

But when it comes down to DOING STUFF, I work from the Hotlist. If that's too big (and it usually is!) I select a few things for my Starred list, and work from that. Since both of these lists are within Main, switching between them does not change the filtered context.

The only thing I haven't done yet is set up contexts so I can use the filter for them!!! The more I think about it, the more I see how it will work awesomely. Currently, my contexts are so complicated, I barely ever use them. I might go with something like Work, Play, and Life (neither Work nor Play), because I can see how I'd use the context filter really well with these categories.

Tags I use kinda like sub-folders, in that I usually sort by tag when viewing my Folder contents. For my Home folder, I have tags like finances, maintenance, cleaning, organizing, decorating, etc. For my Self folder, I have things like gaming, photos, shopping, health, etc. For my Blogging, I have tags for the various websites I work on.

Keep in mind that "sort by" is saved for each "view by" section. So your sort for the "Main" section can be different than the sort for the "Folders" section, etc.

I hope this helps -- it surely helped me to think about my system a bit more!! :) I'm quite pleased with how things work for me, and am looking forward to a little tweak to make it work better!!

P.S. All the stuff I've said above can be done with the free account!

This message was edited Jul 09, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Creation Date/time
  • Qrystal
I just tested, and found that the hover effect does not work for me. But I had a suspicion...

I switched my view mode to Grid, and the hover DOES work. Perhaps those of us not seeing it work are all using Multi-Line view?
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: A Few Feature Requests
  • Qrystal
In their defense, even using an existing forum package would require some maintenance, and this simple forum structure is probably so basic that there are few, if any, true bugs or exploits.

There are also so many out there to choose from, that even auditioning them all would take a lot of time out of their true calling, which is Toodledo. :P

Of course, with the latter issue, we could possibly be of service. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for great forum packages that we could recommend to use in place of this one?

I've seen and read good things from Simple Machines Forum but I haven't actually implemented it -- it will be my first choice, if/when I decide to set one up though. It has all the functionality expected from modern forums (mark all as read, track topics for replies, BBcode/WYSIWYG, preview before posting..) plus can have mods added, it is reputed to be good and stable (sorry, I don't have references, but I know I read it somewhere and I've also seen it up and running at presearing.com, a Guild Wars fan site), and it's free. Free~!

Another big reason to consider a full-featured forum: you may want to select a few additional moderators from your adoring fans. As Toodledo gets bigger, there may be more questions than you will want to handle on your own, or there may be spammers coming around to do their deeds, and wouldn't it be nice if there were a few more people helping clean things up? There could be more categories of posts, and the extra moderators could help shuffle stuff around if posted to the wrong categories.

There's so much that could be done!!! I'm still pleased that there is a forum at all, but having used so many other forums elsewhere, I do notice what's lacking.

This message was edited Jul 09, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: moving subtasks easily
  • Qrystal
It does sound like the contexts will help you with your "at home", "at work", etc.

As for the days of the week, I totally understand what you mean: you want to select tasks to work on for that day, so you can keep focused on those tasks. But, life happens, and sometimes they don't all get done so you want them to carry over to the next day.

The "Starred" list is how I handle this stuff. And if you had contexts set up for the other stuff, you could view your Starred list by the context you're currently in.

(In fact, this is such a great idea, I am thinking I need to set up Contexts to better guide me in this way!)
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Perhaps in your web interface, you have some tasks hidden due to filters. Check by clicking "Filters" on the upper right-hand side of the page, on the yellow bar just beneath the tabs.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Advanced Search
  • Qrystal
OOooOooooooo, it will eventually let us edit multiple tasks at once?! AWESOME!!!

And THANKS SO MUCH for releasing it for us to play with!!!
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Check! This was the first thing I did when I found out that Search got more powerful!! :)

My search entitled "Inbox" matches:
[Checked Off] [no]
AND:
{_ [Folder] is [No Folder]
OR [Goal] is [No Goal]
OR [Context] is [No Context]
}

The second search I came up with (and am still tweaking) is something I've entitled "Limbo", that lets me review those tasks that aren't properly processed. When I'm done tweaking, I'll make a new thread about it, because I suspect I'm not the only one who stuffs tasks away only to have them effectively disappear! :)
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Only five?!
Okay, I'm going to try to do this off the top of my head...

5) Goals. I have a bunch of vague goals that serve only to remind me how *I* will benefit from doing each task. Some tasks have only the purpose of practicing being punctual or overcoming procrastination, and I find that worth reminding myself.

4) Hotlist, sorted by Importance. It takes "What to do next?" out of my head, and into my face. Gotta love that!

3) Ubiquitous capture, and fast! Here's how I do it:

- I have the Toodledo add-on (Firefox 2 edition) set up to allow me to put just the task name, due date and time, and priority. This gives me enough control that the task will appear on my Hotlist if it really should be there, but doesn't bog me down with pinning down details like folder or context.

- I use either Jott or twitter when I'm away from the computer, depending on how loud the surrounding area is, or whether I really need to ensure the task gets a due date or priority set (twitter can, Jott can't).

- If I find myself scribbling a bunch of to-dos on paper, I can use the multi-add feature when I next sit down at the computer.

- For all of the above: if a task has no Folder, it's considered to be in the "Inbox", which is processed regularly to zero.

2) Flexible views. In particular, I LOVE the multi-line view, especially because of how the Sort parameter is the only one listed next to the tasks when in "Hide Details" mode. This keeps me focused on just the thing I'm thinking about, and also makes it easier to change that parameter for a bunch of tasks, quickly. (I don't actually use the sub-sorts often at all, as it slows down my switching between sorts.) I'm gonna count the Star as part of this flexibility, because it is really something I use ALL the time, to keep myself focused on what things I've chosen for myself TODAY.

1) The developers, their awesome interactivity with us, their rate of development, their choices of what to implement and when to release it to us... you folks totally rock. I mean, really. (And yes, Jim, I think this is a feature. :P)

-Crystal
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Ultra Minimal Theme for Toodledo
  • Qrystal
There's a Firefox add-on called "Stylish" that allows you to implement stuff you find at userstyles.org.
Qrystal

Posted Jul 09, 2008 in: Agendas and Waiting Fors
  • Qrystal
Just wanted to put in my two cents: I have a People folder, and that's how I review what tasks I have that involve, or are important to, people outside my immediate household.

My contexts for People may vary: some of them are @waiting (I haven't yet thoroughly implemented the new Status stuff within my system), others are @out or @phone or @computer.

But using Tags for names of people involved, that's awesome. There's so many ways to do things with Toodledo, eh!
Qrystal

Posted Jun 02, 2008 in: Rough ETA for Offline feature
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Jun 02, 2008
I for one really, really appreciate that you aren't posting timelines or ETAs. That way, you never let us down!! :) Thanks so much for all you do, Toodledo. :D
Qrystal

Posted Jun 02, 2008 in: Task count is wrong in Manage Folders
  • Qrystal
It sounds more like Mike might be merging two existing folders into one, a common thing to do when trying to simplify one's productivity system.
Qrystal

Posted Jun 02, 2008 in: How are you using Folders?
Score: 1
  • Qrystal
  • Score: 1
Posted by patrick:

You can totally do this - just make each of the subtasks repeating items. Marking off the main task as complete makes all the subtasks go bye-bye I think, so just don't mark the main task off. If you need to mark it as complete for tracking purposes, as a workaround you can just create a new task with the same name and mark it as complete. This is what I do - minus the workaround because I only care about the recurring subtasks.
Hope this helps.

You can make the main task recurring as well, and it will contain the recurring subtasks! This is what I do for my monthy bills:

* "pay bills - first batch" is due on the first friday of every month, and contains a bunch of bills that are usually due in the first half of the month.

* "pay bills - second batch" is due on the third friday of every month, and contains the rest.

The bill subtasks are due when the bills themselves is due, repeating monthly (but since the actual bill due dates shift around a bit, I'll tweak it once I see the bill).

Just another thing that makes Toodledo so awesome~!!!
Qrystal

Posted May 29, 2008 in: Noob Needs
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: May 29, 2008
I'll see if I can give you "the short short version" of what I do, because honestly, everyone's situation is different, and what I do might not be the same as what you figure out works best for you.

That said, I suggest starting slow. Since you just started using Toodledo, don't worry too much about all the different ways of looking at or organizing your tasks. After all, your task management system is supposed to help you actually DO the things on your list!!

So, forget about folders, goals, tags, context, and status for now. All you need to start is the stuff that will let you decide what you should be DOING next. Here's the few things I suggest setting at first:

- Is there a Due Date or Due Time for the task? If so, set it, but if not, don't worry about it.

- Is there some time until you are actually going to start the task? Toodledo can hide the task for you until then, if you set a Start Date. (You may need to turn on this option in your Account Settings, if you think you'll use it.)

- Choose the Priority of the task: if it's not urgent, don't set it to Top (3) or High (2) Priority. Most tasks are probably Medium (1) or Low (0). Some are so low priority that you don't even need to see them right now (-1).

- Give the task a really good name, and fill in some details or steps in the Notes field if there's more to be said about it. (Perhaps start brainstorming things like Folders and Goals, if you want, but just keep the thoughts in notes for now so you don't get too carried away organizing.)

Now go to the Main view, and click on the Hotlist tab. Click Sort, and select Importance as the first sort parameter (leave the others at "auto").

PRESTO! Right before your eyes, you have a list of just the most relevant of your tasks, sorted by how Important they are, which is a measure that takes into account the current date, due dates, and priority levels.

If you've got a lot of tasks on this list (if you only have 10, you're lucky!) you might want to select just a few to actually work on at a time, for sanity's sake. You can click on the Star for a few chosen tasks at the beginning of your work session, and then just keep the Starred list open while you work. Go back to the Hotlist if you need to find more tasks to do!

Eventually, you'll want to decide what to do with Folders, Contexts, Goals, and Tags, and how you do so is completely up to you. The forums and helpfiles have some good ideas, check them out!

Lastly, I've got one exception to the "go slow" rule: always add your "To Do" items as quickly as possible to your list! Then you know it's there, and you won't be worrying about it as much.

On that note, it is very useful to have someplace to put tasks in a hurry, so you don't need to think too hard about it, you can just add and run (via twitter, Jott, the Firefox add-on, or directly through the web interface). This is often called an Inbox. I use No Folder as my Inbox, and I make sure to take some time every so often to make sure there aren't any tasks just sitting around in No Folder; this is usually called Processing your tasks.

Hope this helps you and other Noobs who want to know where to start! :)

Edit: I just realized that I should mention that I use Show Tasks as: Multi-line (which can be changed in Account Settings). I don't like Grid view, but a lot of people do. I'll write more about that some other time...

This message was edited May 29, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted May 29, 2008 in: Starred Tasks
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: May 29, 2008
<<Also can a Star be added to the Add a Task, along with the other fields so I can check the star when I create the task>>

I "fourth" this suggestion, because some new tasks need to be worked on immediately, and I use the star to keep track of the things I am doing today.
Qrystal

Posted May 21, 2008 in: Importance Level
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: May 21, 2008
Ahhhh, that explains why I hadn't seen Importance = 12 until after the star feature was implemented. Verrrry cool! I'm impressed at how powerful it is for so deceptively simple an equation!

Thank you, I'm so thrilled that you shared it! (I'm one of those "numbers-people" :P) (OH: and a chronic procrastinator.)
-Qrystal

This message was edited May 21, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted May 20, 2008 in: Jott interoperability
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: May 20, 2008
I think David Allen would approve of using Jott as a GTD tool for the collection stage, and that you process the tasks later through a more flexible interface to Toodledo.

I personally have multiple collection methods (twitter, jott, firefox add-on) and occasionally I'll use the web interface "really quickly" to add a task...

The way I ensure it will be in my Inbox is to give it No Folder, and the ONLY things that are in No Folder are the ones that are yet to be processed -- thus, it is a perfectly functioning Inbox.

This issue seems to come up so often, I want to suggest an idea to Toodledo...
...How about an option in settings: Rename "No Folder" to "Inbox"? :P

This message was edited May 20, 2008.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next