ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Posted Dec 15, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 1
Posted by oakleypark10:
My needs are really simple. i rely on Outlook tasks as the master and use gSyncit to link my desktop outlook to Toodledo on my iphone. I find native tasks on an iphone just awful. The one feature very hand on the app on my iphone is hotlist but am I going to pay $36 a year for that undecided. Off to look at other options sadly........

I appreciate the developers desire to turn this app into a recurring revenue model but the pricing is steep for the value I would get.

If you are using Outlook and iPhone, look at GoodTask. It uses Reminders as a base / sync engine and adds tons of missing features (Start date, categories, all kinds of filters) which can be synced to or easily replicated in Outlook. And it’s only $10.
Ummagumma

Posted Dec 14, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 0
Posted by Curt:
Posted by Ummagumma:
Curt,

It all depends on what features you need and what platforms you use.

Out of basic free services from major players, MS ToDo has grown into a quite capable and well designed solution. It is still somewhat feature limited compared to Toodledo, but has much better features overall vs iCloud Reminders or Google Tasks. There are three main issues with it:

1. You can’t use it with Outlook or Outlook.com as there’s a sync bug that messes up due dates. Which is not an issue if your laptop runs Windows 10, you can just install ToDo app.
2. AFAIK it still doesn’t have location based reminders.
3. It now finally has a “Master” view of tasks across different lists, but it only works on tasks with Due dates, and can only be sorted by date.

It does have advantages over iCloud or GTasks - a Reminder date separate from Due date (so it can be used as Start time), the ability to “Star” a task, the ability to add a task to “My Day” view, and an elegant tagging system based on plaintext tags.

And of course the big advantage is that it is cross platform and is unlikely to become a paid / subscription service or get bought out.

As I pretty much gave up on trying to use shared task lists with my family members (they prefer texting) and I have to use Outlook at work, this is not what I use. I sync Outlook at home and at work to iCloud Reminders, and use a program called GoodTask for iOS to add features on top of what Reminders offers and maintain feature parity with Outlook. This solution is not cross platform, i.e. it won’t work when you have people with Android and Apple devices in your group.

Thanks for the response guys!!
Sounds like you are well versed in the different Task Mgmt options. We pretty much went from a notepad to a Word doc to Toodledo. So, I'm not really knowledgeable about what is available, but with the 300% price increase, I will quickly learn. We have a small team of three that work together and use it as a simple way to manage our business (and personal for me) tasks and delegate them back and forth on occasion. We already use Podio to collaborate on/setup business system processes and checklists, use BoxSync for sharing/storing documents, Google Calendar to track personal and business appointments and Buildium to manage property and tenants. So for a simple Task Managment software, here is a list of the things we use and want.

1) The ability to use it on two Macbook Pro laptops, one PC, two iPhones, an one android.
2) Have the ability to use it offline on an iPhone and have it sync when we connect to the internet. I travel a lot on airplanes and use the time I'm not connected during taxi out to update my list.
3) The ability to share and delegate tasks between collaborators. I like the feature Toodledo has that allows me to selectively choose which Folder my assistant/office manager can see (ie. They can view my business tasks, but can't see personal tasks).
4) A way to prioritize tasks visually and sort them in a logical manner (I think almost every task management program does this).
5) The ability to search in both laptop and cell phone app.
6) Be able to add notes with more detail about the task
7) Have customizable reminders with the ability to choose format (ie. popup, text, email)

If any of the big dogs (Google, MS, Apple, etc) had a platform that handled those things, I would be more inclined to spend my time moving there and learning their system as in my opinion, they have the resources to keep improving the software and there is a higher probability that will remain in business longer; not to mention the price is either free or cheap. It would be nice if something integrated well with one of the software systems mentioned above (Google Cal, Podio, Box) but I'm not really sure how that would look or what exactly I mean by that question. I guess I just want something that is simple and intuitive and if I can have fewer programs to keep open or review the better.

Any suggestions??
I'd also love to hear from any other small business owners or property managers as to what systems they have designed that work well for them.

Thank you!

I think that out of the "Free big guys" solutions, MS ToDo would meet most of your requirements. They have an app for Windows 10, iOS, Android, and most likely Mac; web access; individual list sharing; Search and notes.

You can sort tasks within the list by dates, alphabetically, or by priority. You can only see a master list (tasks across all lists) sorted by due date, and only for the tasks that have a due date; this is a limitation that Google and iCloud tasks also share.

The biggest problem that I have with ToDo is the Date sync bug, which forces you to use their app on iOS and in Windows, as opposed to using a 3rd party or native app. This would not be a problem had I not been reliant on using Siri to add reminders on the fly; there's no Siri integration with ToDo, and no Apple Watch support. If these features are not important to you, I think ToDo would be the best choice, unless you want to go to yet another 3r party service that may get bought out or go to a subscription model. I doubt that MS would do either, anytime soon.
Ummagumma

Posted Dec 13, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Curt,

It all depends on what features you need and what platforms you use.

Out of basic free services from major players, MS ToDo has grown into a quite capable and well designed solution. It is still somewhat feature limited compared to Toodledo, but has much better features overall vs iCloud Reminders or Google Tasks. There are three main issues with it:

1. You can’t use it with Outlook or Outlook.com as there’s a sync bug that messes up due dates. Which is not an issue if your laptop runs Windows 10, you can just install ToDo app.
2. AFAIK it still doesn’t have location based reminders.
3. It now finally has a “Master” view of tasks across different lists, but it only works on tasks with Due dates, and can only be sorted by date.

It does have advantages over iCloud or GTasks - a Reminder date separate from Due date (so it can be used as Start time), the ability to “Star” a task, the ability to add a task to “My Day” view, and an elegant tagging system based on plaintext tags.

And of course the big advantage is that it is cross platform and is unlikely to become a paid / subscription service or get bought out.

As I pretty much gave up on trying to use shared task lists with my family members (they prefer texting) and I have to use Outlook at work, this is not what I use. I sync Outlook at home and at work to iCloud Reminders, and use a program called GoodTask for iOS to add features on top of what Reminders offers and maintain feature parity with Outlook. This solution is not cross platform, i.e. it won’t work when you have people with Android and Apple devices in your group.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 30, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by Mike Thomas:
After an initial flurry of trying to find an alternative that works well (for my needs) I had given up and resolved to bite the bullet and pay the ransom for a year of service, thereby delaying the decision by a year. But I cannot - every time I go to the Subscribe page (prompted by the arrow glaring at me in the left pane of my browser), it's still showing the old plans (with no warning of the impending change). None of the old plans say I will get 3rd-party app access (because it is supported by all of them for another 31 days).

This makes me determined to look again at the alternatives because I don't want to be painted into a corner come New Year's Day, or worse stuck in a tool that suddenly goes out of business because the users all moved to something else.

I don't need a lot of TD features. They all currently exist in the free version. But I *do* need to be able to make changes on a phone *and* in a browser and have them sync, plus I need support for sorting by context (or something analogous to it). Sadly most alternatives don't hit all those features, the one that does (RTM) will not import from TD (I used the beta version as directed and got no tasks after the import - but that's a question for the RTM forum).

Ditching TD altogether and syncing Ultimate To-Do List directly with Google Tasks is a non-starter (whoever "designed" (using the term loosely) Google Tasks should be selling deep-fried sliced vegetables).

This is pretty frustrating.

The RTM import method that worked for me was to first export TD tasks to CSV, then import into Outlook Tasks, then install the free trial of MilkSync, and sync from Outlook to RTM.

It was not without its quirks - e.g. the attachments were gone, and if I modified a task that had a Start date but no Due date, it would get assigned a Due date automatically. Also I was not using Goals or Contexts, so not sure how to handle those. But all in all, it was a fairly quick and easy process.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 18, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 2
Posted by Larry2:
A better business plan would have been to make some substantial improvements and then announce increases.

You don’t say...
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 13, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
DrFrank may come up with a better way of doing this, but what worked very well for me was to export Toodledo tasks to CSV, import in Outlook, install MilkSync trial (good for 14 days) off RTM website, and sync all tasks to RTM.

I am not using Contexts, Goals, or Progress statuses, so not really sure how these would transfer over.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Posted by MM1772:
I don't use start dates in Toodledo because I found it confusing. For me, "Due date" is always the date on which I need to do something (in this case, start a project). I usually have the actual deadline date in the task name.

I think I'm going to try @DrFrankBuck's trick of using DEADLINE in the task name with the actual deadlline date, and @Ummagumma's trick of putting the deadline date at the beginning of the task name (although I'll probably write it in YYYYMMDD format since I often have projects that span calendar years or some that I find out early enough to write a task for it a year or two in advance).

If you’re using Windows, look at Texter. It can automate text entry, very useful for using plaintext tags.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 4
I don’t encourage anyone to leave, but redesigning your workflow in a way that makes it independent of any particular app or service is going to be very rewarding in the long run regardless of what you decide to do.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 03, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I agree with the idea of putting the hard deadline as part of the task.Been doing this for years and it works great. (Example: Write grant proposal for ABC project (DEADLINE NOV. 17). Part of my weekly planning includes searching for the work "DEADLINE" and it brings up every task that has a true drop-dead date. I use Due Date for the date I want to see the task again. For me, Start Date (which has a default of today) is a quick reference for how long the task has been hanging around (although there is a spot on both Toodledo and RTM that shows the creation date.)

I am like the automatic migration of overdue tasks to the current day...looks like that's being planned for Toodledo and the collaboration on the free plan.

I have many tasks that take from days to weeks of work to complete and have concrete deadlines. So starting work on time is just as important as finishing it on time. Some tasks may be due in 3 weeks but I need to start working on them tomorrow, some may be due next Wednesday but I can start next Monday and still have plenty of time.

For these high workload tasks, I have three main requirements - (1) start them early enough (2) finish them before the desadline (3) hide them out of sight until I need to start working on them.

So, without using the start date, that's how I do it now

"11/19 Task XXX" (with due date 11/12)

"11/16 Task YYY" (with due date 11/14)

Task YYY is due earlier but takes less work to complete, so I can start working on it later.

The due date field is now my start date, it is when the task shows up on my list and I need to do something about it.

If I need to compare the actual deadlines, I sort by title. I only need to do this for project tasks.

For simpler tasks that can be done in an hour or less, and especially repeating tasks, I put the actual deadline at the end, since I don't want them to clutter my deadlines view. E.g.

"Pay water bill before 21st" (with due date 12/15 repeated every 3 months)

I think this would work well for me in the long run... although having separate Start and Due date fields has it's advantages, too. If I did not use mobile devices and voice input, I'd stick with this approach.

This message was edited Nov 03, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Nov 02, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I just can’t warm up to Todoist. E.g. the inability to sort tasks on mobile is rather mind boggling in 2018. (Unless you are Apple).

If I ever go back to a paid subscription service, I think RTM will be very high on my list.

I am also re-thinking my workflow. One of the biggest limiting factors in choosing the suitable tools was my insistence on using the due dates to track the deadlines, and start dates to schedule/ filter out tasks for action. Not very many apps and services support the start date. I should be fine for the foreseeable future (GoodTask + Outlook, with CalenGoo as a backup option, or RTM if I move to a paid service again). But I will also try a different approach - putting the deadline in task subject and using Due date for scheduling work; this should open up the possibilities quite a bit.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 31, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by boydston01:
Posted by Ummagumma:
I've been using Onenote / Outlook for a long time. While it's a very powerful set of tools, it does have it's bouquet of issues if one wants to use it with mobile devices:

I still miss Outlook and WinMo 5/6 with exchange, plus Pocket Informant. Tasks synced perfectly and PI made the tasks accessible and added robust filtering and sorting. 10 years later, and there is still no good replacement solution!

Try GoodTask, if you’re on iOS.
Ummagumma

Posted by pawelkaleta:
Posted by Ummagumma:
As to "why would anyone want alarms in Excel" - an alarms-enabled Excel spreadsheet would make a killer task manager. Advance filtering, sorting, total compatibility, truly platform and device independent, could be integrated into any wider system. I could even find a workaround for recurring events. But I need my alarms....

Well, if you want you can in fact achieve something very similar to alarm functionality. Take a look for example here. If you use it with NOW() or other date/time-related conditions and for example add MsgBox which appears with the sound you are ready to go :)

This would not work on mobile devices though, would it ? Sorry I wasn't very clear. On Windows, I could do with Excel right now. It's the iOS / Watch where I need a dedicated app. Too much convenience and functionality to give up...
Ummagumma

OK, I see what you mean.

I've been using Onenote / Outlook for a long time. While it's a very powerful set of tools, it does have it's bouquet of issues if one wants to use it with mobile devices:

1) Haven't used Android in years, but back when I did, syncing with Exchange tasks was extremely iffy and unreliable and very feature limited.

2) On iOS, tasks usually sync as Reminders. Which means, for most mobile clients, you lose the ability to assign a Start date on mobile (a must in my workflow, and the biggest selling point of Toodledo / RTM). There's only a very few apps - that I know of - that support assigning a Start date *and* syncing it with Outlook. One of them is GoodTask, which I discovered earlier this year, which I am very happy with, and which I am using now after I gave up on Toodledo. The other one is Calengoo (an exceptionally good calendar, with a decent taks management, but not as powerful as GoodTask). Then there was PlanBe, with very basic task management, which is now gone from the US AppStore. That's it, at least what I know of. Pocket Informant used to support the Start Date, but stopped years ago. 2Do assigns start dates but doesn't sync them with Outlook. There are also some other limitations (can't have start date without due date if you edit tasks in Outlook, can't sync categories) but they are not nearly as important to me. Also, I am unaware of any native MS Watch apps that work with tasks, and using my tasks with AW has been super convenient, I'd hate to lose that ability.

3) For years, Microsoft has been plagued with a "Date Change Bug". If you use Microsoft Todo, or sync with Outlook.com, the tasks created in Outlook after particular time have their due date moved forward by one day upon sync to web or mobile client. The best explanation I could find is that Exchange Active Sync that they use for their online services is treating every time record as GMT regardless of actual time zone. This means I can't use MS ToDo to sync with Outlook (I wouldn't anyway without the start date option).

In other words, as powerful as Outlook is on the desktop, it's a job and a half to make it work on mobile without giving up features. I am not familiar with Planner, perhaps it's a game changer... but if it hasn't been for GoodTask, I'd be seriously considering RTM.

As to "why would anyone want alarms in Excel" - an alarms-enabled Excel spreadsheet would make a killer task manager. Advance filtering, sorting, total compatibility, truly platform and device independent, could be integrated into any wider system. I could even find a workaround for recurring events. But I need my alarms....
Ummagumma

I don’t have O365, just the plain old Office 2016. I did not know that you could add alarms to Excel spreadsheet cells in 365. Unless you are talking about Microsoft’s own task manager, which is a tad problematic.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 31, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
MLO is interesting but I could not locate any information on their servers location. Not that I looked very hard. Their headquarters seem to be in Ukraine.

AFAIK RTM is located in Australia.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by smatics:

This is honestly hard to fathom. I can't imagine ANY user not caring about having "at least" a year of completed task history. What an odd thing to try and differentiate price points with. I could understand the free plan not offering any history, but for a paid plan to exclude at least a year is utterly baffling.

I don't care about any task history at all. If the info is worth saving, I save the notes / records in Onenote, which is specifically designed for long term storage and retrieval of information. Tasks are by nature short term records.

Everyone's different.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by coolexplorer:
Posted by GerTruDis:
I found a new option in the lower part of the left menu with an arrow above and it takes me to the next page:

https://www.toodledo.com/subscribe/index.php

I have found that the "upgrade" page (accessed by clicking the new arrow on the bottom left of the TD menu shows subscription rates at the old prices but with changed feature limits. Is everyone getting this or is it account by account? Of course one now cannot subscribe until 30 days before your subscription ends. Maybe at that time the annual subscription charge will suddenly show the planned increase. That is devious, because you then have only a month to make an assessment, find a new Task App and transfer your data.

At these prices, you should be worrying about not having a service to upgrade to in first place. These rates are simply unsustainable, when you compare the features and name recognition and plans vs what the competition has to offer.

I should really stop posting here, as I am no longer an active Toodledo user. But it's hard to walk away from a trainwreck in motion...
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Do you have MS Office with Outlook? The easiest way is to import the Toodledo CSV into Outlook, then install the 2-week trial of MilkSync from the RTM website.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 27, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Thanks. For now I think I will stick with GoodTask and Outlook, it does everything that I need (well, subtasks suck somewhat, but I didn’t use them much anyway), it’s already been paid for once and for all, I can sync my work tasks directly with it via exchange without installing any 3rd party sync software and keep our IT happy, and it has a couple nice tricks up its sleeve to speed up task entry and editing. And it works directly with / on top of Reminders, which opens up some additional functionality.

But RTM is now the clear fallback solution if, for whatever reason, I am no longer satisfied with that combo (or, the hell freezes over and I go back to Android).

Seeing that RTM now has all that functionality (that it lacked when I first looked at it years ago), and Todoist has all kinds of bells and whistles for anyone who doesn’t use Start dates, and both are significantly cheaper than Toodledo now... I think the new owners are committing service suicide. I really hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
The saved search feature is pretty robust, even in the free plan, you I think you are going to find what you need. There is an import if you want to pull in all your data and put RTM through its paces. I just posted in another thread how to get to the import (because it's not obvious). Good luck. Keep me posted on what you're finding.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 26, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
I work with two types of views - Master view (all tasks, sorted by due date or Priority- Due) and Focus view - tasks that are started, due, or Top priority (starred if there’s that option).

It’s that Focus view that is hard to get with many other services. I want tasks hidden until their start date, then automatically show up in Focus view without any extra work on my part. That way I can have dozens or even hundreds of tasks, hidden out of sight, while knowing that they will show up in my Focus view when needed. Using the Due date for this is possible, but how do I then track the actual deadlines ?

I also want a way to manually place tasks in Focus without changing their due dates.

Well, RTM clearly supports all of it. What’s more, it has a pretty full featured free option. So full featured, in fact, that it’s probably more than enough for most people. And their Outlook sync works great, as a part of Pro option. To me, it’s a no-brainer. Even at $40 per year, it’s still a far better value - with an excellent mobile client, Outlook sync, Watch app, and still cheaper than Toodledo. Honestly, if a year ago I checked RTM out, I’d likely switched back then. It would still be only $10 more than the old Toodledo Gold. My only dilemma now is, do I switch over or keep using Outlook & GoodTask, that combo works well for me and is essentially free. I’m afraid that at this price point, given all of its limitations, and compared to alternatives, Toodledo just doesn’t make sense to me anymore.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
In Toodledo, my sort was Due Date then Priority, then Star.
To get the same thing un Remember the Milk, I use the "This Week View. That gives me a first sort by due date. I select "Priority" as the sort, which in effect gives a secondary sort by due date. From there, switch the sort to "Drag and Drop" to further organize the tasks within that priority.

Posted by Ummagumma:
I looked at RTM, the multiple sort columns are likely a “pro” feature, as is unfortunately the Watch app - hard for me to evaluate the service without it.

It certainly supports the Start date, advanced filtering, website access, and has an Outlook sync program available as part of the Pro subscription, which is very interesting.

About the only missing functionality I can find (that I use) is the ability to set an item alarm independent of due date - i.e. I can set it to xx days before but not to a specific day/time. It’s no biggie, though.

Their Pro service is $40 per year, and their Free service is surprisingly well featured. Not sure if I want to switch yet again, the combination of Outlook and Good Task is working very well for me, but RTM is definitely a good alternative,

Posted by Robert_HOME:
Took a quick look - RtM would be a workable backup alternative if I need one - missing a few things like multiple sort columns (unless that's in a premium level), and probably a few other things. But would have enough functionality to work with.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Robert,

Take a look at Remember the Milk. It has a start date and I believe has what you need to support Master Your Now.

Posted by Robert_HOME:
For me.... no alternative at the moment.

Toodledo has specific configuration support for the MYN system, e.g. Start Date, and supporting documents and training material over at MYN site. ToDoist does not support that at all, so doesn't work for me.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Just a simple question to Aaron.

Todoist is, arguably, the leading brand in the field that Toodledo competes in. Toodledo is regarded by most reviews as a middle-of-the pack at best.

Todoist has a single premium tier at $30 a year.

Toodledo now has premium tiers ranging from $60 to $90 a year.

Why do you think the customers would want to pay 2 to 3 times more for a lesser known service ? What is that one single selling point ?

I am a big fan of Toodledo, but even I can’t see it.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next