ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by TheGriff"
TheGriff_2

Posted Oct 02, 2009 in: Keyboard Shortcuts
Score: 0
I love how this would duplicate the functionality of the 33 year old VI on UNIX.
TheGriff_2

Posted Oct 02, 2009 in: Feature Request Post
Posted by Claudio:
Posted by TheGriff:
Personally I think it'd be nice if the list you describe is put into a Toodledo format. Maybe a public Toodledo list that's read only for all but the devs.
Great idea!
Something like this: http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4886ef08a792d

Wait wait...I can make a public todo list? Looks like I need to go research. :-D
TheGriff_2

Posted Oct 01, 2009 in: Feature Request Post
Personally I think it'd be nice if the list you describe is put into a Toodledo format. Maybe a public Toodledo list that's read only for all but the devs.

Of course it would be nice to get it updated with projected due dates...but I know how devs are about that sort of thing.
TheGriff_2

Posted Oct 01, 2009 in: Filter by anything other than "context"
I agree with the Tag overhaul that's needed.

I'm curious about the multiple context request though perhaps I build resource and location into contexts.

For example, all calls go into @Phone. I don't need my system to know where I am, just that I have calls to make. I may determine that based on my location a particular type of call is not appropriate however I believe that to be part of scanning your list to determine what to do.

Now if I have a task that can only be done on my home media server I'll add it to @Home.

In previous messages I've mentioned the idea that we sometimes try to have our systems do too much. With GTD there is always an element of decision making to be done "in the moment". To get so granular that you split tasks into @Phone @Work seems a bit much. What happens if you are away from work taking care of a sick child? You still can do your @Phone items.

All that said, obviously adding multiple contexts isn't something I'd do. Admittedly I do use a few saved searches named by location to tell me what resources I have available at any one moment. This feature wouldn't hurt me either but I'd hope it'd be lower on the list of todo's for the dev team.
TheGriff_2

FWIW I use Due Date to indicate when a task was truly completed to get around the limitation. Most of my task don't have due dates by default (ala GTD) so I find I can use that field as I wish.
TheGriff_2

Posted Sep 30, 2009 in: 35 Contexts and 170 (Active) Projects
I'm also a consultant that travels a bunch so I'm sure we have some challenges in common.

That said I use a Folder for each of my clients and I add work (project actions) to the @Client context. When I'm at ABC Co. I'll just do a search within that folder for @Client. Of course this assumes I have to be focusing on that client exclusively.

In my line that's not always the case so often times I'll have a search of @Client, @Phone, @Laptop and @Anywhere sorted by folder.

I keep tasks flattened and if I need to see what project the task is part of I can quickly click the icon to expand it.

FWIW I assign all my projects to the _Project context to make weekly review of Projects that much easier.

Hope this helps a bit...feel free to ask more...
TheGriff_2

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: A few tweaks for reminders
Well I sorta assumed it wouldn't...but the announcement seemed to indicate you would receive one for ALL tasks. My next question was going to be exactly how they determine the logic for when to remind. LOL
TheGriff_2

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: A few tweaks for reminders
So this new global setting does it for EVERY task? If so I'd like to have an option to do it only for tasks WITH a due date. I don't need reminders of everything I have to do (I'd go crazy!) but I do use them for time sensitive tasks.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jul 02, 2009 in: Parent Tasks at Top of List
Posted by GS:
Status feature request:
Create a status called "Project" so that all parents can be displayed (if we call them "Projects"). Presently I use Delegate for this.

Oh I like this...I'm all for a new status called Project! Consider me +1!
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 22, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
I don't use them...yet.

That said I envision using them to drive personal projects. For example I want to become a healthier person. I'll define that goal and what it means and then have it drive a weight loss/fitness project. etc.
TheGriff_2

Posted by c.e.perry:
@TheGriff: Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about the model of GTD project as Toodledo folder?

It's the time it takes to create a folder for one. I also like using folders for my individual clients as I'm a consultant. It's nice being able to see all projects and tasks for one client in a view. When that client is done I can archive the folder.

Sure I could use tags for part of this but tags aren't a consistent thing since they have no management.

Lastly the way folders are displayed is less than ideal compared to Project (parent) tasks.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 18, 2009 in: Default values for e-mailing tasks?
Please add this as a +1.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: iPhone 3.0
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to head home tonight and grab the upgrade...I'll be holding off until Toodledo for 3.0 is let out.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Where did "Classic" View Button go?
Just confirming I don't see it either.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Back up your Toodledo data with wget
Score: 1
With the recent XML export enhancements I wanted a way to schedule nightly backups of my Toodledo data. In addition I thought it'd be handy if this backup went instantly to my Dropbox account.

The program WGET is a commonly installed software package of most Linux distibutions. It allows "for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP" from the Linux shell. More information about WGET usage as well as links to Windows and Mac downloads is available from LifeHacker http://lifehacker.com/software/downloads/geek-to-live--mastering-wget-161202.php.

Once a script (or DOS batch file) is built using the proper WGET command structure it is very simple have it run nightly in Linux CRON or as a Windows Scheduled Task.

The basic script commands are shown below. (Thanks to Matt - https://www.toodledo.com/forums/profile.php?user=258454 - for the commands!) Items in bold below are to be replaced with your information.

wget -O /dev/null --quiet --no-check-certificate --save-cookies cookies.txt --post-data 'email=[email protected]&pass=xxxxxxxx' https://www.toodledo.com/signin.php

wget --quiet --load-cookies cookies.txt http://www.toodledo.com/xml.php

rm cookies.txt

The first line logs the script/system in to the Toodledo website and saves the cookie generated by Toodledo. The second line performs the actual download of the file and the third line removes the cookie. For Windows you would replace the rm command with del.

It should be noted you will want to place the script in the directory which should store your download. I have my script in my Linux home folder and have added the following line to move and rename the downloaded file into my Dropbox directory.

mv /home/xxxx/xml.php /home/xxxx/Dropbox/toodledobackup.xml

For Windows replace mv with move.

I also use Jungledisk with the Amazon S3 service to backup my important files each night including the Dropbox folder. I'm now triply covered with my data backed up to my laptop's Dropbox folder, Dropbox itself and on Amazon S3; this is in addition to Toodledo's twice daily backups!

I admit this backup strategy is a bit extreme for simple task data however being a self-acknowledged lover of systems I just had to get it working.

I suppose the script could be modified to keep multiple copies of your data with a time-stamp but that's too extreme, even to me.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Improved Backup/Restore capabilities
Thanks Matt! You just let me check of a research task I'd created to do this.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
@Claudio - Use the SMS option instead of e-mail. A reminder really should grab your attention more than an e-mail allows; sms is perfect.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 16, 2009 in: Improved Backup/Restore capabilities
Posted by Toodledo:
Yup, we're thinking about that.

Actually I just thought of a possible way using WGET. By any chance is there a way for me to pass my login credentials in a WGET command?

What I'd envision doing is a nightly WGET to my DropBOX folder which then also gets backed up to S3. I'd actually have three layers of backup, my laptop, DropBox and S3.

Maybe something could be added to the xml.php script to allow tokens for credentials (if they're not already there)?
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 16, 2009 in: Improved Backup/Restore capabilities
Thanks for the new stuff! My pie in the sky would be integration with Amazon S3 during a scheduled nightly backup. But for now this is great. ;-)
TheGriff_2

Posted by c.e.perry:
Action Lists author here, so keep that in mind as I offer my opinions...

Just a quick comment as to why I'm not using Action Lists. I agree it's a good app to use for GTD on the iPhone but I don't like the way it forces you to use the Toodledo website where I spend most of my GTD time.

Specifically I wish AL used the task/subtask method for projects as that, to me, is the best method to manage projects on the website.

Do with that input as you will but I thought it might be helpful to know why one potential customer didn't purchase the app.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next