ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 14, 2016 in: Google Now Duplicating Tasks
Score: 0
Jake,

I know this topic has been discussed before. Adding a task to Toodledo via the Google Now "Note to self" command is a huge time saver. However, the task is duplicated, appearing as two different tasks in Toodledo.

When the topic was discussed before, the person in charged of the Android app development had left and this was to become a priority when a replacement was hired.

I know a great deal of work has been done on the web interface (Great work, BTW). Was just wondering about the plans for handling this particular bug.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 03, 2016 in: Introducing our new Homepage
Score: 2
Jake,

I like the consistency in appearance. The homepage has the same color scheme and other branding as the software. The explanation of the features is thorough.

On the "Pricing" tab, I would suggest adding several items to the "Basic" list. Even though you the great features about Toodledo at some place on the site, potential users may not go through all of it. They will certainly look at the pricing page and may use this to compare Toodledo with competitors.
1) Repeating tasks. Google Tasks lacks this feature.
2) Note section for each task. This feature is free with Toodledo. It's a paid-only feature with Todoist.
3) Email forwarding into Toodledo.
4) Voice input. Being able to use Google Now and Siri to add to Toodledo is huge.
5) Unlimited number of tasks (I think? If not, at least it's a huge number).

I know the primary aim of this page is to show the differences between what you get in the various plans. Also use it to make t easier for people to choose Toodledo over another product.

On the pricing tab, the height of the Gold box would make it seem you get more with that plan than any other. (I know you have the addition text in there about 14-day trial). Perhaps make all boxes the height of the Gold box and either have white space between the price and the beginning of the features, or think up something to fill that space. Another idea would be to make each box a different height to emphasize the additional features as you move up.

Great work. One of the encouraging things about Toodledo is the upgrades over the last year or so. It sends the message that Toodledo wants to be a serious competitor. I have not seen anything that I would even consider changing to. In my mind, Toodledo is the best task manager on the market.
DrFrankBuck

Posted by rich_8:
Also happening on Note 3 as of 1/20/2016

Is there a way to disable toodledo from handling the "note to self" trigger? I used to have it go to an email - I could use the toodledo email rule or some combination on IFTTT to make this work properly.

I know there is a way to reset the option. Did a quick search and found this: Settings > Apps > Scroll over to "All" > Menu button at the top right (3 dots) > Reset app preferences

As far as using IFTTT to send through Gmail to Toodledo, I wrote a blog post on that very thing before I started using the official Toodledo app. When I was using The Ultimate To-Do List, here is how I made voice input work: http://www.frankbuck.org/how-to-add-tasks-to-toodledo-using-google-now/
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 01, 2016 in: Server Performance Issues Feb 1, 2016
Score: 1
Jake, thanks for keeping us up to date on the issue.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 21, 2016 in: Unable to edit tasks
This is a problem I am experiencing on a laptop that is running Windows 10. Did not have the problem before upgrading from Windows 8.1. Things are working fine on desktop computer running Windows 7.

I hope I can explain this clearly... When I click on the note icon to edit the note section of a task, the hand turns to a vertical-lie cursor, but just very briefly before turning back into a hand (which will now not allow editing). Similarly, when I try to change the priority by clicking on the drop-down, the drop-down closed back up before I can make a change to the priority.

The same problem occurs when trying to edit to the task line.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any idea what is causing it? I wouldn't think WIndows 10 would be the culprit, but that's the only think that is now different about this machine.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2016.
DrFrankBuck

I noticed an update on the Android app the other day, and was curious to see if this item was fixed in it. Doesn't appear so. Can you give us an update? The voice input via Google Now is such a great feature.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
Posted by Dave:
I like the changes and love the Batch Edit functionality. For the streamlined search, I have a small suggestion. When you click on the magnifying glass next to the ToodleDo logo, it opens up the advanced search entry area (I'm doing this while already looking at a specific search). Unfortunately, there is no way to close the search entry area without refreshing the screen or running a search. Could you possibly enable a click on the magnifying glass again to close the search entry area if it is open?

There is an "X" at the right-hand end of that line. Clicking it closes the search.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
The upgrades continue to be nice. For current users, not functionality is being lost and the new stuff is intuitive.

One observation...new tasks are now appearing in the light green (as they used to be before the upgrades). The color changed to the light blue. Wondering about the decision to change back.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Sep 19, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Jake,

The improvements for the website interface are great. Thanks for what you are doing. I hope that you will always keep the note icon for each task visible. I can look at an entire screen of tasks and tell at a glance which tasks have additional information in the note and which do not. It may seem like a little thing, but for my workflow, it's a big thing, and it's something that sets Toodledo apart from some of the other major players.

The ability to hit one key and have *all* attached notes open is icing on the cake.It comes in so handy when I am planning my week and cleaning up tasks. I don't know how many others feel the same way about having that icon always visible. By the way, I like the new look...bold when there is something in the note section and dimmed when it is blank.

Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Did you do some additional work in this area? Now, when I click the note icon, the "white" area extends all the way to the note icon (a good thing). When I click inside the note, the size of the white area contracts, and the text wraps so that the note is more vertical.

I opened all of the notes (with the Z shortcut) and scrolled down. I see no long links extending into any gray area. For the very longest ones, they extend of the screen. These are rare, however. As you suggested, I could invoke the multi-line option if needed.

This is a more visually-appealing look and will certainly function well for me. Looks like you found the right balance.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

I do see that the note section is wider than before. However, when a long URL is pasted into the note section, that URL extends past the white area and into the gray area. In those cases, I have not found a way to do anything other than click the link. I cannot edit the link, add other wording to that note area, etc.

I thought perhaps the problem would be present only for re-exisitng tasks and that newly-added lengthy links would wrap and stay within the white area. No so.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

In recent days, when I click the note section of a task to reveal the contents of the note, the white part of the note extends only about 2/3 of the way across the screen. The remaining 1/3 is gray. Previously, the white portion extended the entire width of the task line.

The problem comes with long URLs which are pasted into the note section of the task. The URL extends into the gray area to the right. While I am able to click the link, I am unable to right anywhere to the right of the link to add addition lines.

I took a couple of screen shots that illustrate what I am talking about if you would like for me to send it to you.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Erikliu, don't know if you are an Evernote user, but I had seemed to recalled seeing a similar question recently where someone was keeping records such as this in Evernote and wanted to update an exiting note rather than email into Evernote.

Here is a something from Evernote that is on point:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/98e34297-e6f3-4d38-8efd-6ad68c6f972b/5af38366dcd53310076763ec53 c08c11

You now have to have one of the paid versions of Evernote in order to email into the program.

If the situation you describe is one that occurs often, also take a look at TaskClone.com. It would allow you to create a note in Evernote and sent any "to-do" items from that note over to Toodledo. I would automatically create a link in the note section of the Toodledo task that opens the Evernote note. A
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your statement about the repeat being generated from the web rather than the app, and needing to resync is significant. I was traveling yesterday with limited cell service at times and being on a plane (in airplane mode) at other times.

I have just created a couple of sample tasks on my phone (now that I am at home and with wi-fi available), and te repeated tasks are being generated correctly after being checked off. Knowing it's the web that's responsible for generating the repeats explains it. Thanks!

Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Just to try to give you as much info as possible to diagnose what is happening with the app...

Yesterday, I noticed that I had no access to the repeating tasks feature on any task on the Android app. I went to the settings and saw the box for the repeating feature was not checked. I checked the box and then the ability to set repeating tasks or make changes to the repeating feature in the app appeared.

I didn't think much about it, because I upgraded my phone a several weeks ago, and downloaded the app on the new phone. Perhaps when downloading the app, repeating tasks is not checked by default, I just don't there, although if it's not checked by default, perhaps that could be included in a future update. that's a pretty important feature, and people might not know to specifically look for it.

I am wondering if somehow the check box to add repeating tasks to the field which show within the app is somehow linked to repeating tasks disappearing when checked off rather than generating a next occurrence. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

I wanted to give you a bit more information about this issue. This morning, I went to Toodledo on the web from my desktop computer to see how the repeating tasks which "disappeared" would appear displayed once synced.

First, I searched for the repeating tasks which had "disappeared" (which completed tasks hidden). None of the repeating tasks I had checked off appeared.
Next, I clicked to show recently completed tasks and sorted that list by repeating tasks. I did see the tasks in question. Here is the interesting thing about their appearance.. As I looked at that list of recently completed tasks, I saw tasks I had checked off days ago BEFORE the problem I saw yesterday. Those tasks appeared on the list as completed BUT DID NOT SHOW AS REPEATING TASKS. In other words, each appeared on the list as a non-repeating task and each had a new start and due date generated.

All of the tasks where I had seen the problem (when I checked them off, they totally disappeared from the list) showed up on the recently completed tasks AS REPEATING TASKS. (If you need me to send a screen shot, I can.)

I am thinking that users should be the following:
1. Click on the link to view "recently completed tasks."
2. Sort the list by repeating tasks.
3. Scroll to those tasks which are marked as repeating and uncheck them.
4. Return to the normal view, and those tasks which would have been "gone" will be back.

As I see it, this would prevent users from losing data while the issue is examined. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 23, 2015 in: Android Update 5.8
I share the same concern as Paul and commented on it, and also saw a comment posted int he review of the app on the Google Play Store. When an item is altered and that alteration changes the items position on the list (changing the due date, priority, etc.), the entire list scrolls to the tasks's new position on the list.

Prior to a recent update, the user was able to alter a task, and then be returned to the same position on the list. That made it easy to conduct a planning session from the app, working down a list of tasks and making changes to dates or priority one at a time. I really wish we could return to this arrangement.

I have used the app and recommended to so many other people. The addition of clickable links in he note section was a huge bonus. However, with the problem of tasks being entered via Google Now being duplicated, the issue in this comment, and now repeating tasks being lost once an occurrence has been checked off, I have to consider looking at another app to sync with Toodledo. While the work on Outlines, Habits, etc. is admirable, my interest is in the core function of a task app working properly and efficiently.

Is there any update on hiring someone to work on the Android app?
DrFrankBuck

Jake,

Just noticed this yesterday...

When I check off a task on as "done" on the Android app, a next occurrence of that task is not being generated.

After noticing a weekly repeating task I had checked off was not appearing to be done a week later, a created a sample task, established a repeating pattern, saved the task, and then checked that task off as done. I then searched for a string of words appearing in that task. The search returned no tasks. I tried this several times.

Have you already ha reports about this one?

Thanks,
Frank
DrFrankBuck

Being able to add tasks via voice is a huge productivity boost. Dating back to the Palm, digital tasks lists had their advantages (not having to re-write tasks, support for repeating tasks, attached notes, etc.), but INPUT into smartphones has always been the weakness. That changed with Siri and Google Now. Finally, input is easier on my phone than in my Day-Timer of old. Whenever I demonstrate adding stuff to my Toodledo task list without even opening the app and simply talking, people's mouths drop open.

Before there was the capability (or at least before I knew about the capability) to create tasks with "note to self," I contrived my own way to do it . I wrote a blog post that walks users step-by-step through what I did: http://www.frankbuck.org/how-to-add-tasks-to-toodledo-using-google-now/ Start reading the post at the subheading entitled, "Email into Toodledo." Some may want to give that a try while the problem is being worked out.
DrFrankBuck

I just upgraded my Samsung Gallaxy S3 to S6 and am still having the problem.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next