Search results for "Posted by AA"
AA

Posted Dec 13, 2012 in: Toodledo for iOS downgraded
Score: 0
  • AA
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2012
  • Score: 0
Posted by Steve_1354340810:
I can no longer just click 'Update All' and instead have to select each App to update individually for fear of accidentally reverting to the old Toodledo UI.

This is a fault of iOS design and doesn't apply just to Toodledo. Apple should make it possible to easily downgrade an app (or to revert an upgrade) for anyone who wishes to do so. I had to stop using the Update All button a long time ago, not only because of Toodledo, and I agree it's a nuisance, especially if you have several iOS devices (I have 3 of them).

Apple could improve this from their own end, too. A "lock icon", or something like that, could be added to every app on the upgrade screen, and if you pressed that lock icon, that particular app update would be ignored when you pressed the Update All button. Sadly, I don't think Apple will ever implement this, although it would make perfect sense.

I applaud Toodledo for reverting to the old iOS apps design. I had upgraded to Toodledo 3.0 on my old iPad 1, and the all-grey colour scheme, coupled with the iPad 1's "grainy screen" (at least to Retina-pampered eyes), made it a pain to use. Very punishing on the eyes.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012.
AA

Score: 2
  • AA
  • Posted: Dec 04, 2012
  • Score: 2
As to features that are still missing, I find it surprising that an advanced app and software like Toodledo is still behind Microsoft's aweful Outlook in some respects. The single biggest deficiency of Toodledo is the inability to set certain recurring tasks properly. For example, you still (as far as I'm aware) can't set a task to repeat (for example) "every last weekday of a month" or "every second Tuesday in December" or even the very simple (!) "every last day of the month". I think I voiced my disappointment over that in this forum about 2 years ago.

I supect much of the bitterness in the feedback to the new version comes from realizing that instead of adding important missing features, Toodledo's staff seems to have focused on a radical overhaul of the user interface, even though there really was nothing wrong with the old interface that would necessitate such a focus right now.

First things first, I say. First add missing important features, like the ability to set recurring tasks properly, and only then devote your time to cosmetic things like polishing the user interface (let alone changing it from the ground up).
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Dec 04, 2012
Posted by Salgud:
I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, and couldn't access the mobile site.

For the first time, you need to access the mobile site online to build a database within the cache of your browser. (That's similar to installing a dedicated app.) Afterwards, you are apparently able to use the mobile site even offline. Your comments may have been downgraded because they appear to be misleading. Did you build that initial cache in your browser? If yes and the mobile site still doesn't work for you offline, it may be a problem with your browser's cache.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
AA

Score: 5
  • AA
  • Posted: Dec 03, 2012
  • Score: 5
Posted by Martys To Do:
It seems that there are always a bunch of negative comments about how it takes too long to make changes and then when you make changes, obviously, there are going to be unforseen issues and another bunch of negative comments.

You're spinning this. I don't recall Toodledo users demanding a radical facelift of the iOS apps and a change to a low-contrast, all-grey color scheme.

What the users typically demand is new features, and they hate nothing more than when a software developer, instead of giving the users the long-requested features, gives them a radical face-lift of the user interface, showing that the staff's resources were largely spent on something the users would view as a low-priority issue.
AA

• AA
Posted by Salgud:
To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.

No, Salgud, you don't. Toodledo's mobile site is pretty smart and looks better than the new apps despite all the grey in it. I just have no use for it (not being on Android).
AA

Score: 4
  • AA
  • Score: 4
It's possible that most users with iOS apps have never used the mobile website (why would they?), and were therefore completely taken by surprise by the radical redesign. I've been with Toodledo for about 2.5 years as a paying customer, but the first time I opened the mobile site was right now, to take a look. (I generally avoid all mobile sites, even on the iPhone's tiny screen, because they typically offer such an abysmal, hacked-down user experience compared to full sites; especially on the iPad's fairly large screen, it's never necessary to use mobile site versions.)

My first impression: yes, Toodledo's mobile site is gray as well, but not as in-your-face gray as the new apps. ;-) They almost seem like faded gray compared to the mobile site. For example, the font used for the notes field appears crisp & black on the mobile site, whereas it looks like dark-grey on white in the apps.

As soon as color themes are offered for the new apps (and font colors and sizes should be customizable, too), it's possible they will be a real joy to use and indeed a big improvement over version 2. :-)

This message was edited Dec 03, 2012.
AA

Score: 1
  • AA
  • Score: 1
Posted by Jake:
Task list is empty on iPad after updating
This is also a bug that we are trying to track down. We have not been able to reproduce it, but we know from several customers that deleting the app and reinstalling will fix it. It may be an issue with a corrupted update from Apple. Sorry for the inconvenience.

OK, a reinstall fixed it for me. That was a few scary minutes. :-o

I must say I do like the new look of the tasks titles themselves on the iPad. I do believe the font might be too large on an iPhone screen. For the iPad, I'll keep that font size even if the option to make it smaller will be added.

Everything else except for task titles suffers from low contrast, however. Even task notes (much improved display of notes in this Toodledo version!) seem to use some kind of gray font instead of black. "Gray on white" doesn't seem like such a good idea. And the colours distinguishing normal priority and high priority tasks really are too similar: like two shades of orange.

The biggest improvement in version 3 for me is the display of HTML in notes fields. Many thanks for that! :-)

This message was edited Dec 03, 2012.
AA

Score: 1
  • AA
  • Score: 1
Well, my mistake, but I took my iPad 1 (running iOS 4 as its highest possible version) and upgraded to version 3 there. The result is that all 376 of my tasks have disappeared from Toodledo. Only the notes have been left intact. How do I get the 376 tasks back into Toodledo? They are still there on the website, the new iPad and iPhone.

The color scheme is every bit as disappointing as described by many people in this thread. I've always disliked Apple's passion for grey tones, but this takes it to a new extreme. Decidedly inferior compared to the previous version. And I can't really comment on the new tasks features because all the tasks have disappeared.

Thank you for any help on how to get the tasks back.
AA

Score: 3
  • AA
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2012
  • Score: 3
I cringe whenever I hear of "aesthetic facelifts". That kind of undertaking frequently ends in disaster. See the current complaints about lack of colour. I'm waiting for version 3.0.1 or later before upgrading from version 2.

I wish that whenever there was a radical re-design of anything in the realm of software, there also always was backwards compatibility, so that users could keep the old design if they preferred it. This is even worse in the world of iOS which makes it impossible or extremely difficult to revert to an old version of an app if you dislike the new version.

This message was edited Dec 02, 2012.
AA

Score: 2
  • AA
  • Posted: Nov 30, 2012
  • Score: 2
Reading this thread has certainly scared me off upgrading. I'll be waiting for the release of other versions in future with less negative user feedback. I've long since learned I just can't use Apple's "Update All" button in the App Store, or I may end up with unusable apps.

The old iOS apps aren't perfect, but it never even occurred to me that a radical overhaul of their user interface was necessary. The only thing I really found frustrating in them concerned the Notes, both within Tasks and stand-alone ones. No HTML recognition in them was confusing, and in the iPad app, the notes field was ridiculously narrow, and therefore difficult to view or edit. I'm glad the 3.0 update apparently addresses these issues, but I just don't dare to upgrade if there seemingly are so many other issues now caused by the radical UI overhaul.

Sometimes I wonder why it is ever necessary to *radically* overhaul something that was perfectly functional and well-loved in its previous format... Windows 8 anyone?
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2010
Goodness... I really don't know how anyone could confuse emails with SMS. :-o

The good news is, the issue is fixed now. But it was definitely there a few days ago; the UTF-8 specification was missing from Toodledo's email reminders.

I have made a couple of screenshots for you, both from the same task, emailed to me on December 10th & December 14th. On December 10th, both the body of the message and the Subject field was garbled, due to the missing UTF-8 specification. Today in the same reminder and all others from the last few days, everything is fine.

* screenshot of email headers from December 10th: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/misc/Toodledo/email_reminder_header-2010-12-10.gif
* screenshot of email headers from December 14th: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/misc/Toodledo/email_reminder_header-2010-12-14.gif

This message was edited Dec 14, 2010.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Dec 10, 2010
Hi, unfortunately you're mistaken. You must have made an unintentional error and removed the UTF-8 specification from e-mails as well. I don't use reminders via SMS at all.

Another email reminder has just arrived, and it's garbled, both in the body of the message and in the Subject. There is no UTF-8 specification in the email's headers. I can paste the email's entire headers here if you wish; the email encoding specification has simply vanished, so that we're back to the state we were in many weeks ago when I first started this thread.

Please fix this. Thank you.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2010.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2010
Hi,

After I switched to "internal/local" alarm reminders for the iPhone & iPad app, I'm now getting double the amount of intended reminders.

For example, I had a reminder set for 10:30 a.m. today, which was 27 minutes ago where I live. I received that particular alarm 4 times: 2 times on the iPhone & 2 times on the iPad. First, the 2 internal alarms arrived exactly at 10:30 a.m., and a couple of minutes later, the same 2 alarms arrived again from the server.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2010
Hello,

You have lost the UTF-8 specification in email reminders again. :( So, once again the text of all of Toodledo's email notifications is garbled for me, both in the body of the messages and in the Subject. The line specifying UTF-8 has simply vanished from the email headers. Please add it back. Thank you!

(PS: I'm aware of the recent problems with non-English characters in a preceding Toodledo version of the iOS app; I made sure not to upgrade to that particular version. Anyway, this seems unrelated, and leaving out the standard UTF-8 specification from email reminders can only make matters worse for everyone.)
AA

Posted Nov 08, 2010 in: Scheduled Time gets wrong in iCal
  • AA
  • Posted: Nov 08, 2010
Posted by tanga:
Note: After the US switched away from summer time, I had to change my time in my settings.

That's interesting, because I did not change my time in Toodledo.com settings, but it now displays for me properly anyway. I'm in the same time zone as you are.

Can you check your Toodledo.com settings again to see if your time is correctly displayed now? It seems to me that someone from Toodledo staff may have performed some configuration changes on their server on Sunday. Because you also made a manual change yourself, this could be the reason why you're currently shifted by 1 hour. (Everything is OK on my end, both the time is correct and reminders arrive at the correct time.)
AA

Posted Nov 07, 2010 in: Scheduled Time gets wrong in iCal
  • AA
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2010
Issue fixed, as it appears. A couple of hours ago, I set a test reminder for 1 a.m. my time, and it arrived as it should, not one hour sooner at midnight.

Fixed just in time for those important Monday business appointments. Thank you! :-)
AA

Posted Nov 07, 2010 in: Scheduled Time gets wrong in iCal
  • AA
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2010
Hello,

I must confirm that as of today (Sunday, November 7th), after America switched away from summer time, all reminders now arrive 1 hour too soon for me. I am in the main continental European time zone (GMT +0100). Like Brian says above, Toodledo.com shows the correct time for me, and the iPhone and iPad show correct time for me, but all the Toodledo reminders arrive 1 hour too soon. This issue first appeared today (Sunday, November 7th), although Europe switched away from summer time a week ago (Nov 1st).

Thank you for fixing this.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Oct 23, 2010
Many thanks, it's fixed now! Every letter, foreign or not, now displays perfectly as it should, thanks to the UTF-8 declaration as quoted by you in your latest message.

I have tested this on Windows XP (in the wonderful email client The Bat!), on iOS (both iPad & iPhone 4), in Gmail, and on Linux in 3 different webmail packages.

The result was almost 100% correct. The only flaw was in the email's Subject in Horde webmail on Linux. All letters in the body of the message are fine, but the Subject in Horde is garbled. That only applies to Horde; other webmail packages running on the same Linux server display both the Subject and the body of the messages correctly.

I know there is a way to specify encodings for email Subjects as well, in addition to specifying UTF-8 for the body of the email. Perhaps if you add the UTF-8 specification also for the email Subjects, then Horde webmail will get it right. (It's obvious that this is a flaw in Horde webmail now, perhaps in its configuration on the Linux server, rather than a Toodledo matter, but perhaps the flaw could be fixed easily for any Horde users, by specifying UTF-8 for email Subjects, too.)

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010.
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Thank you, that's interesting.

Google Calendar, Gmail, etc., does not use the quotation marks around "utf-8" (or other encodings), but standard email software such as Thunderbird does use them. :-o

(I know it's supposed to be better style to use quotation marks in such places in HTML as well, but it's not really important, of course... as long as the resulting email message isn't garbled.) :-)
AA

• AA
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Thank you for the update. It's really strange that a standard UTF-8 header would cause the message to be displayed incorrectly for some users. :-o Employing standards, instead of workarounds, usually has the opposite effect. :-o

Right now, the email notifications only display properly for me if the email software implicitly assumes that the message is encoded in UTF-8. Both Gmail and iOS (iPad, iPhone) do that. But in my email software on my main Windows computer, Toodledo's email notifications are garbled, and they only display properly if I manually switch over to the UTF-8 encoding while viewing a Toodledo message.

The same email software works 100% OK with all kinds of other email notifications if these include the standard UTF-8 header. For example, I receive several daily email notifications from Google Calendar, and all of them are displayed properly because the headers in every message include the Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 line.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next