ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Jan 11, 2011 in: TD workflow: priority vs. due date
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2011
  • Score: 0
Just curious. Seems to me that if an organizations' priorities are changing that often, you're in "fire drill" mode, and while an organized task list would help, there's never going to be much order or consistency. I use the priority field, and they only change occasionally, like when I postpone something for a few days because I'm busy, then have to get on it to get it done on it's deadline. But that only happends on a few tasks a week, if that, and only takes a second or two. I was just wondering what would cause priorities to change so often, unless you're a fireman! :)
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Online Calendar
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2011
I use Google Calendar and like it pretty much, for the most part. I agree, it would be nice if it synced with an Address Book, but I don't trust the cloud enough to put all my friends names, addresses and phone numbers there. So how could it sync with my Address Book and still have that info safe? I haven't found a really good solution for that yet, would be nice if someone figured that out.

There is a full-featured calendar for Windows/Android called Pimlical (at pimlicosoftware.com), but, alas, it doesn't sync with any address book and is still not available for OSX, though they've been promising that for well over a year, maybe two. It does sync with Google Calendar now, which then syncs with most everything. I wish they'd release the OSX verion, iCal sucks! (Slightly less features than a wall calendar).
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Your current number of tasks
  • Salgud
Why don't we all post our....

Nevermind. :)
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: TIP: Create a List of Common Tags
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Agreed. I think tags are one of the weak points in TD and could be greatly improved. In addition to making them like folders and contexts in their own list, we should also have to option to have them appear, when adding/deleting tags, in a aphabetically sorted list, rather than the "cloud". I belive this is on "The List".
Salgud

• Salgud
That is correct. Sorting on second and third levels is on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Save combination of Search and Sort
  • Salgud
This is currently my number one request.
Salgud

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Repeating
  • Salgud
Posted by jd_1294148395:
Is it possible to have repeating tasks only for weekdays? Currently weekday tasks show up on weekends.

Yes, just enter "every weekday" in the repeat box.

BTW, you can find basis answers quickly without having to post by going to the help page and entering, in this case, "weekend". A reference to this page:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?search=weekday

will appear.
Salgud

Posted Jan 04, 2011 in: Integration with Evernote
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 04, 2011
If I recall correctly (and occasionally I do), they both store their data in XML format, which should make it possible, if not easy, to move data back and forth. But I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do so. Some of the smart people here would know.

I have asked a few times for an example of when it would be useful to integrate the two, as I can't think of why I would want this. I have hundreds of notes in EN, and all my tasks in TD, which has it's own notes field for each task, so why would I store notes from a task in EN? And what from EN would I want in TD? I'm not opposed to it, just don't see the use for it and am surprised that so many ask for it, yet no one can give a single example of how it would be useful.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
Salgud

Posted Jan 04, 2011 in: Repetition of already done tastks
  • Salgud
The developers often reply to feature requests that it's on "the list", which is a very extensive list of all the features that they plan to add someday. They won't, of course, give time estimates, for the obvious reasons, but some users get frustrated that the item they want is taking so long, but I can only imagine how long "the list" is and how they go about priortizing it.
Salgud

Posted Jan 04, 2011 in: Priorities vs Statuses
  • Salgud
Have any of you who don't like just priority looked at "Importance"? It uses a formula based on priority and due date (I know, not ok for GTDrs). The description is here:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?search=importance

I don't use it, Priority works fine for me, but if you want urgency figured in, this is one way to do so.
Salgud

Posted Jan 04, 2011 in: Repetition of already done tastks
  • Salgud
I remember other requests for "Repeat notifictaions" - it's on "the list".
Salgud

• Salgud
Up on my back legs, paws extended, panting appropriately!
Salgud

Posted Jan 03, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jan 03, 2011
  • Score: -1
Others may have simple answers, but having used, consulted and trained on PM software for many years, it's not a simple question. It's like asking, "Please recommend a good car". Depends on so many factors and priorities. How many projects? How big are your projects in terms of tasks, time, money and resources? What kinds of projects? Software projects are managed entirely differently than construction projects. Also, where will you do you want to be five years from now? If you start with a very basic PM application, will you outgrow it in 2 years and have to start anew with something more advanced? Will you be tracking manhours? Costs? Risks? Quality? This is not a simple thing. But getting a good fit is crucial to sucess. I've seen many companies fail at implementing PM because they thought you just pick some software and implement it, almost a guaranteed path to failure. It takes research, needs assessements, and some planning to get real PM going in an organization, just like a quality iniative. The most common mistake in implementing either is just pick some software and run with it. I read a few years ago that 80% of quality initiatives in North America fail. I would guess it's similar for PM initiatives.

I urge you to get professional help in this effort. Otherwise, the odds are 4 to 1 against you.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Chris:
@Salgud - I have tried shortening the names of my projects for use as folders. But here is the reason it doesn't work for me, and trust me it is kind of touchy feely! I like to use my words to direct me on what to do. For instance let's say I have a project where I need to create some documentation at work for a piece of software. Sounds easy.

In my implementation I would create a task called "Create documentation for dual mod implementation", which is well over the 32 character limit. The reason that I do this is to give myself a verbal cue of what needs done for this project (like I said, touchy feely). I need a reminder of what I am doing; creating a document. I have to use verbs to make sure things are clarified.

I know that it is "hippy-ish" but it really has changed the way I feel about my projects.

Interesting feedback. Will try to answer your questions.

Not sure about the "hippy-ish" part, being an aging hippy myself (hitch-hiked all over the country in my purple suede applejack cap). If it works for you, do it that way. It's only the Folder names that are limited to 32 characaters, not the task names, so put in whatever you need. I like verbs in my tasks as well.

I could however, based on your implementation, create a folder called DualModDoc and put my actions inside of it. But here is where I am confused, do you put a task inside of the project folder that represents the project and then make subtasks of next actions underneath it? You say you use subtasks and partent tasks for projects, but if that is the case what are the folders for? I would definitely like to see a post of your setup and implementation, more ideas the better!

I use the term "project" for my folders, but I use it very loosely. Should say something like "Areas of Responsibility". Actually, there are some of each. I don't base what is or isn't a folder on whether or not it's a project, my system is not that ordered. A folder is just something that I think will take a while and I want to separate the relevant tasks out from others. So I have Communications Work Group (which is a work group implementing the CPI project, abbreviated to ComWG as I mentioned earlier), Child Welfare (the division I work for, abbreviated to CW), Colorado Practice Iniative (a major project within Child Welfare, abbreviated to CPI). So my folders don't represent a level in a heirarchy, they include many levels. CW is the division, CPI is a project withing that division, ComWG is a work group on the CPI project that I support. Obviously, I'm not a very linear thinker, and I know this kind of system would drive a Meyers-Briggs SJ crazy.

So the CW folder includes tasks I do for the division, like timekeeping and maintaining the division's cars. CPI contains tasks that I do for the entire CPI project, like some communications duties and maintaining an overall project Action Item list in Excel. and ComWG contains things I do for that work group. So even though the organization of these entities is heirarchal, my perception of my work is not, and I have structured my folders accordingly. Is that "hippy-ish"? :)

I use the subtask feature for "projects" that repeat, mostly. I have a monthly timekeeping cycle with a parent task, "Timekeeping", which has the various subtasks that I do monthly, like "email timesheets" which go out to all employees for their approval and signatures from them and their supervisor, "Email timesheeet reminder" which I send out near the end of the month to remind people to get them in if they haven't already done so, and so forth.

I also have a IV-E data extraction repeating project which is really a 12 step process I do on demand from our two IV-E auditors to extract data from various databases that they need to do an audit. This one just gets done whenever they need it, a month or so before an audit.

And by the way, my implementation has been going strong for the past three weeks. I now have my setup put together on my Android phone using the app Due Today and also on the native TD app on my iPad.

If you've got a working system, more power to you. It's taken me a while to evolve a working TD implementation that I really like, and that is mostly automatic. Every morning (I'm trying to move this to the end of the previous day before because it feels (more hippy-ishness!) better when I do it that way), I review what's up on my daily list, determine what has to be done that day, star those, then get to work on those. When/if I finish those, I move on to the less urgent ones to finish out my day. Works well for me, but always interested in learning how others do it. I guess my system will always be evolving, like me.
Salgud

• Salgud
+1
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2010
A couple of important points I missed last night as I was posting just before I left to meet a friend for dinner and rushed it a bit.

I forgot to mention the other major advantage of using abbreviations for Project names which is that I can see a great many more folders across the top of the window with the significantly shorter names, avoiding having to click on the little arrow over to the right and selecting from the annoying drop-down list (that dissappears before I can make my selection, necessitating doing it two or three times to get the correct folder/tag selected).

The most important reason I use subtasks is that most of the projects I do are repeat projects. I keep my template projects in a folder cleverly called "Templates" :). When it's time to do a repeat project again, I just go to the Templates folder, clone the parent task for that project, and multi-edit the parent and subtasks to move them to the appropriate directory. It really simplifies my life.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Dec 30, 2010 in: multi exit with parent and subtask
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2010
Aren't we all? :)

It is on the "list".
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2010
  • Score: -1
Thanks for posting your system, Chris - very interesting implementation of TD and GTD. I'd like to make a couple of comments based on my experience with TD and other task managers, probably more for other users coming here than for you.

Your comment about the 32 character limit on folder names limiting is usefullness I find strange. Partly because I'm a very slow, inaccurate typist, and partly because I just like to move quickly, every time I get a new project on my desk, one of the first things I do is to give it a universal short name. Right now, I work with the "Communications Work Group", so everywhere in my system, they are ComWG. Not just my folder in TD, but my file folder on my computer, as a category in my email client, etc. It sure beats typing out "Communications Work Group" many times a day. In fact, until you mentioned it in your post, I didn't know there was a 32 character limit on folder names! Just saying that this is easy to surmount, if you're so inclined.

The other thing I see rather differently is your take on Status. No one every said you had to use them all. I do use them all, (some of them only occassionly). E.g., Waiting and Hold. For me, Waiting is when I'm waiting for someone else to do their part, and Hold is for when I've put something on Hold until something happens or until I'm ready to move on it.

As for subtasks, I find them extremely helpful at keeping track of my projects and enabling me to keep my task names short to avoid more typing. I can have the same task multiple times, but each as a part of a project, each project having some kind of unique identifier, usually a tag, so I can isolate and multi-edit the project.

So we have very different approaches to using TD. It's so flexible and powerful, you can do so much with it and use it so many ways.

I enjoy hearing how others use TD, and one of these days, I'll describe my latest implementation here, when I have a bit more time. Right now, it's on my "Someday" list.
Salgud

Posted Dec 29, 2010 in: multi exit with parent and subtask
  • Salgud
No, no ID field.

When I create a project, I make sure it has a unique marker somewhere, like a unique tag, status, context, whatever. That way, I can go back and isolate that project and multi-edit it. For instance, I can give each one a unique tag.

If you aren't using Stars for anything else, this is probably the fastest way to id them and multi-edit. Star them all, then multi-edit, and destar if you want.

If you are using stars, and have no other unique field, you can multi-edit all your starred task and give them a unique marker of some kind, then de-star them, then star your project tasks, multi-edit, give them a unique identifier, then destar them, then bring back up the old starred tasks and star them. Kind of a tedious workaround, but probably faster than individually editing every task in your project if there are a lot of them.

If you need more detailed instructions, just let me know.

HTH

This message was edited Dec 29, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Dec 29, 2010 in: sort by *decreasing* length
  • Salgud
@Purveyor

Thanks for posting the link. I only had to watch the first couple of seconds, and I recognized the presentation. I've seen it done a number of times, live and on video.

Virtually any analogy I can think of break down sooner or later. To me, one of the things that make for a good analogy is that it breaks down later rather than sooner. As someone else stated about this analogy, something very small time-wise could be the most important activity of your day. A 20 sec phone call could save a life. What would you have to do that day that's more important than that?

I get the idea of wasting your time with piddly little things instead of attacking the bigger task that needs to get done. But I don't think size is a good measure. As others have stated, the longest task could well be the least important thing on my list for today. Duration doesn't impact importance or urgency at all. So I just don't care for the analogy, it tries to reduce priorities to one factor, and my experience is that that is just not possible. YMMV.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next