Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Dec 29, 2010 in: sort by *decreasing* length
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2010
  • Score: 0
Posted by Werner:
Fine if not everybody agrees on the importance of doing big tasks first. Those who don't may want to ponder the advice I got a decade ago (and followed ever since with much success): given sand, pebbles, and rocks to put in a jar, starting with the sand or pebbles will not get you very far...

Not sure what filling a jar has to do with getting tasks done, seems like a poor analogy to me. YMMV.

Regarding your test, you may want to repeat it in a setting where sorting for length is not the only criterion. In my case, it is the third (after due date and context). I am looking forward to positive test results and concrete advice on how to do it!

As you must know, the third level criteria often has little or no effect on a sort, particularly if there aren't enough tasks for it to have an effect. If you've actually found a bug, you need to report it.

Those who know about usability engineering may share some of my concerns about "haphazard" design. Consistency is one of the rock bottom rules, and it is lacking all over the place in Toodledo.

It's hard to defend TD's UI. I still don't see it as "haphazard", but certainly as butt ugly. But then, I'm not a UI expert, just used a lot of software over the last 30 years and have a pretty good feel for what works and what doesn't and also to appreciate an eye-pleasing design. I guess that's pretty much just a matter of opinion and I respect your right to yours.

But do not get me wrong: like democracy, Toodledo is the worst, apart from all the other options. I have used it for several years now, after giving up on half a dozen other systems before, over the time of 30 years. Yet, I am always looking forward to learning things that I "did not get".

This is my second go around with TD. I tried it almost 2 years ago, but just didn't like the interface. I tried others, but eventually came back for two reasons. TD has most of the features I want, and it has great development and support, which counts a lot for me.

Friendliness is really important and includes, for some, not telling others that they are not getting it or learn haphazardly. It is much appreciated, as long as it also contains some actual help. I apologize for not stating my problem (multi-criteria sorting) more precisely before.

Sorry for accusing you of a haphazard approach. This is the first time I can remember seeing you post, and you started with a pretty nasty attack on what I believe to be a very good program. Of course, you may not agree. I tend to be loyal to people and organizations that are trying their best to deliver a great product and to keep their customers happy, which I believe, the TD staff do extremely well compared to a lot of others I've dealt with over the years. So I go to their defence, which is probably unneccessary, they seem to do well at defending themselves.

I hope you solve your problem - I was unable to duplicate it, but I'm sure I don't have the complexity in my little test that you have across your task list. Maybe others who use that feature can help you better than I. Best of luck.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Dec 28, 2010 in: sort by *decreasing* length
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2010
Posted by Werner:
One of the first things any time management book tells you is to start with big (long) tasks - but Toodledo does not seem to support sorting by decreasing task length. What am I missing?

Actually, not so, at least one I can remember doesn't say that. (Can't remember which right now.) He recommended a technique that, if feeling daunted by so much to do, start with something small and easy, and if possible, urgent, just to get the feeling of success and making progress. I still use this method frequently, and it works well for me.

This is just one example of the many, many things in Toodledo that seem haphazardly designed (consider saving, for another example). I already start regretting the upgrade to pro.

I don't use the Length field normally, but just to test your claim, I added it to my list, added some lengths to a couple of tasks, then sorted both Forward and Reverse and it worked fine. Including setup time, maybe 3 minutes to to the whole thing.

Probably better to start a slowly with TD and work your way into it. Sounds like you might be rushing a bit and not getting what's there. I've seen a lot of criticisms of TD since I started using it, expressed a few of my own, but "haphazard" is a new one. Maybe it better describes your approach to learning it? :)

Maybe you should hold your judgements and the resulting regrets until you've used it for a while. TD is not a simple task manager, but it's not a difficult one either. Give it a fair trial, at least a couple of months, get to know it, then make your decision. Right now, you're just jumping to conclusions based on one failed attempt to do something in an entirely new environment, not a very good way to start.

And remember, these forums are some of the friendliest, most helpful, positive forums I've been in for a long time. There's always help available, usually within hours. And the TD staff respond themselves, usually within a day or two. That's excellent turnaround where I come from.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Dec 27, 2010 in: presentacion
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 27, 2010
Bien. E tu?

Los cientos para me Espanol terrible. Hablo mui poquito Espanol. Mi nombre es David soy de Denver, Colorado, USA.

Bienvenidos!
Salgud

Posted Dec 27, 2010 in: Repetition of already done tastks
  • Salgud
I'm not sure I'm interpreting your post correctly, but I think what you want is to change the repeating option to "From completion" rather than "From due date". Give that a try and see if it does what you're asking.
Salgud

Posted Dec 27, 2010 in: x days before the 3rd Thurs option
  • Salgud
Thanks for your reply.
Salgud

Posted Dec 23, 2010 in: x days before the 3rd Thurs option
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2010
I'd like to have some additional options for scheduling repeating tasks. For example, I have a meeting I attend on the 3rd Thurs of each month. I start to prepare for that meeting, gathering materials, making copies, etc., 2-3 days in advance. I'd like to be able to schedule a repeat task for 3 days before the 3rd Thurs to remind me to start this process. I also have to follow up with the minutes, so I'd like to be able to have a repeating task for 1 day after the 3rd Thurs.

Right now, I have to schedule the meeting in my calendar, then go in and create individual tasks for preparation on those Mondays before each meeting and for doing the minutes. A bit tedious.

One other repeat scheduling option would be for tasks that repeat, but not on a regular basis. It would be great to have an option to just pick multiple dates on the calendar for a repeating task, rather than have to specify a regular interval. This would also make the above issue, "3 days before the third Thurs", easier until we have that option.

Thanks for your consideration.
Salgud

Posted Dec 23, 2010 in: 2010 Year In Review
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2010
Thanks for a great product, for constantly and conscientiously improving that product, and for the excellent, consistent, prompt support and timely updates in these forums. Please, just keep doing what you're doing!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2010
Posted by mnchrisgilson:
I am using the Getting Things Done method for organizing my tasks. In the description on this site it suggests using folders to house projects. It seems a little redundant to both create a folder and create a saved search every time you start a project. I can understand about the load time, but couldn't that issue be avoided by not making that the default option, burying the option somewhere in the settings, using lots of "are your sure you want to turn this on" warnings or something?

It does seem redundant. So why do it?
Salgud

Posted Dec 20, 2010 in: UI Change
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 20, 2010
  • Score: 1
I agree with most of what's been said here, with a couple of exceptions.

1. I don't care a lot about the colors, but if you're going to redesign the interface, I doubt that adding some more options would be difficult. But I'd rather you add some more colorful options, rather than additional drab ones.

2. As the post above states, Smart Views is not a UI improvement, but a feature. However, I would much prefer Saved Views over Smart Views. I don't so much want TD to automatically add any task I enter into the correct folder as I would like to be able to save my Saved Searches, complete with Sort order and all formatting, into an additional page, called "Views", or something like that, where I could choose which of the Saved Searches or even built-in searches and set the order they appear in. I think there are more of us clamoring for a "Views" feature than for Smart Views, although the TD staff probably has a better feel for this than I do.
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 20, 2010
  • Score: 1
Thanks again for the great work and for keeping us informed.
Salgud

Posted Dec 17, 2010 in: Why don't Toodledo have a test suite?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 17, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
We've made a lot of behind the scenes changes in recent updates to prepare for future updates, and we are still working out the kinks a little. One of the things we are implementing is unit-tests for the entire app so that we can have better quality control. We realize that the last few releases have been buggy and we are working hard to resolve this.

Again, thanks for being foresighted.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 17, 2010
The last sort order you choose within a View (Main, Folder, Status, etc.) will be the sort order for all tabs in that view until you change it. There have been many requests to change this, and it is on their "list".

Quite a few of us have requested a "Views" View, in which we could select which other views we want to appear, and all attributes of that view would remain, including Filters, sort order, etc. We could make that our home page, and have just those views we use most frequently, with the other views just as they are. For me, this would make TD close to perfect. For a week or two, anyway! :)
Salgud

Posted Dec 13, 2010 in: Tag sort order all screwed up
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2010
If the iPhone app is the same as the cloud app, then the tags are sorted in order of most frequent use, which means the order is constantly changing. I, and others, have requested an option to change this so we can have them in alpha order to make them easier to find. It's on their "list".
Salgud

Posted Dec 13, 2010 in: Project steps
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2010
TD doesn't have dependencies as yet. I know it's on their list of enhancements.
Salgud

Posted Dec 10, 2010 in: Install a skin
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 10, 2010
Does anyone know if there are any TD userstyles that work on IE7 and on Chrome/FF. I use IE7 at work (required) and both Chrome and FF at home. Are there any userstyles that are compatible with all of them?
Salgud

Posted Dec 09, 2010 in: Search for all repeats
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2010
Definitely better than mine! Thanks!
Salgud

Posted Dec 09, 2010 in: Tab order not right
  • Salgud
Whatever you did, it's fixed. Thanks!
Salgud

Posted Dec 09, 2010 in: Search for all repeats
  • Salgud
I think there should be an "All" option in the repeats search list. Is this on the infamous list?

For now, I've created a Saved Search with Daily or Weekly or Biweekly or....

All the kinds of repeats. But I shouldn't have to.

Thanks!
Salgud

• Salgud
Again, I do it a little differently. I have a folder called "Templates", with all the repeating projects in it. I have subtasks, so each project is a parent task with appropriate subtasks. When I want to do one of my projects, I simply clone the parent task and change it's name to be project specific and move it to another folder. Finally, I give it a unique tag, so I can search on that tag if I want to isolate and multi-edit the entire project later. Then I go in and set start and finish dates for the individual tasks, so they show up on my "Today" list when they are scheduled to start, like my other tasks.

Just one other way to handle repeating projects in TD.
Salgud

Posted Dec 09, 2010 in: Personal & Work Tasks
  • Salgud
I should have mentioned above that when I first started using TD, I "played" with it for a while. As Andrew has suggested, just try things, see what works for you and what doesn't. For the first month or so, I tagged everything I felt like tagging, without worrying about a tagging "system". And I used context and status and tried all the features on for size. With time, I sifted down to my present system, which works very well for me. It's so easy to change things around using Multi-edit, that there's very few things you can't change once you decide how to use, or not to use, a given feature.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next