ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 26, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
I am playing with RTM at the moment. Some observations:

- Predefined Hotlist - easily replicated via Smart Filters (custom views). The only difference is that it’s not predefined and has to be manually set up... but then I always found Toodledo’s Hotlist lacking and used Saved Searches.

- No star. This is, again, easily fixed by replacing it with either a tag or Top priority (my favorite method). The advantage of using Priority method is that it can be duplicated in Outlook custom views and most other apps. (I have a different take on task priority than most people anyway)

- Speaking of Outlook, I installed the Milk Sync trial and it works perfectly, synchronizing all my tasks without a hiccup. The lists are synced as Outlook categories, I’d rather prefer them as folders, but it’s OK. Interestingly, if I set a Start date in RTM without setting a Due date, it will sync that way to Outlook but I can’t edit any dates without Outlook automatically assigning a Due date. I also don’t see the RTM tags getting synced over, but then I prefer using plaintext tags attached to the end of he task subject - again, for compatibility.

So far, this seems like a very good service, certainly way better than what I remember from trying it years ago. And at 3/4 of the price of the cheapest Toodledo plan...

The only question now is, does it offer enough on top of what I am getting with Outlook / GoodTask combo to justify paying another $40. But, to be honest, it does make the $60 Toodledo offering seem rather unappetizing.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 26, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 0
I looked at RTM, the multiple sort columns are likely a “pro” feature, as is unfortunately the Watch app - hard for me to evaluate the service without it.

It certainly supports the Start date, advanced filtering, website access, and has an Outlook sync program available as part of the Pro subscription, which is very interesting.

About the only missing functionality I can find (that I use) is the ability to set an item alarm independent of due date - i.e. I can set it to xx days before but not to a specific day/time. It’s no biggie, though.

Their Pro service is $40 per year, and their Free service is surprisingly well featured. Not sure if I want to switch yet again, the combination of Outlook and Good Task is working very well for me, but RTM is definitely a good alternative,

Posted by Robert_HOME:
Took a quick look - RtM would be a workable backup alternative if I need one - missing a few things like multiple sort columns (unless that's in a premium level), and probably a few other things. But would have enough functionality to work with.

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Robert,

Take a look at Remember the Milk. It has a start date and I believe has what you need to support Master Your Now.

Posted by Robert_HOME:
For me.... no alternative at the moment.

Toodledo has specific configuration support for the MYN system, e.g. Start Date, and supporting documents and training material over at MYN site. ToDoist does not support that at all, so doesn't work for me.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Just a simple question to Aaron.

Todoist is, arguably, the leading brand in the field that Toodledo competes in. Toodledo is regarded by most reviews as a middle-of-the pack at best.

Todoist has a single premium tier at $30 a year.

Toodledo now has premium tiers ranging from $60 to $90 a year.

Why do you think the customers would want to pay 2 to 3 times more for a lesser known service ? What is that one single selling point ?

I am a big fan of Toodledo, but even I can’t see it.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 5
Just a simple question to Aaron.

Todoist is, arguably, the leading brand in the field that Toodledo competes in. Toodledo is regarded by most reviews as a middle-of-the pack at best.

Todoist has a single premium tier at $30 a year.

Toodledo now has premium tiers ranging from $60 to $90 a year.

Why do you think the customers would want to pay 2 to 3 times more for a lesser known service ? What is that one single selling point ?

I am a big fan of Toodledo, but even I can’t see it.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: New Privacy Policy: Advertisements
Score: 1
Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Hi everyone,

I want to set the record straight. We’re updating our Policies to reflect changes in data privacy laws. We’ve added details about your ability to manage the information you share with us, and the new tools we’ve created to help you do that.

This updated Policy will give you more control over your information and more clearly explains how we use it. Our core commitments regarding your privacy haven’t changed.

+ We are not adding advertising to Toodledo. We strongly believe the existing subscription model is the best model for us and our users
+ We are using paid acquisition to grow our new user base, which includes advertising to our target audience. We’ve mentioned this in the past here and here. The new language covers the tools we use to target and track conversion and ROI of these marketing efforts.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

It would help if you provide clear language on how the task data is being used and whom is it being shared with.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: New Privacy Policy: Advertisements
One thing that I haven’t really seen clearly spelled out is if any task data is being shared. “User data” is pretty vaguely worded.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
A great list.

Just to add a couple comments.

For Outlook, GoodTask is great. Still no usable subtasks, but can sync start dates. 2Do (also available for Android) does have great subtasks (that sync to Outlook as regular tasks) but the start date stays internal to the app. Finally these guys claim they have a pretty comprehensive solution for syncing Outlook tasks with Android

http://www.symbio-tec.com/SymTasks/SymTasksSetup.aspx

An advantage of Outlook is the easy way to create tasks from emails and from OneNote. One of disadvantages is the lack or limitations of web access.

TickTick is very interesting but it’s headquartered in China.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 24, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by GeezerGeek:
Posted by Ummagumma:

What are you using to sync Outlook with on mobile ?

Imho on the desktop, without mobile sync, Outlook is superior to Toodledo and pretty much anything else. Between custom views, conditional formatting, custom fields, integration with email and Onenote, file attachments etc. Outlook is immensely powerful. It's when you need the mobile sync or web access when things start to get complicated.

For Mobile, I'm looking at "Microsoft To-Do" (Android). I haven't worked with it much yet but it does look rather basic, without a lot of the features that Outlook desktop has.

MS ToDo has a problem with shifting due dates when synced with Outlook.
Ummagumma

Posted by GeezerGeek:
I'm a Silver subscriber whose reaction to the initial new three tier plan was "Goodbye Toodledo, Hello Outlook tasks." I am a Office 365 subscriber and I have already said "Goodbye Evernote, Hello OneNote" when Evernote changed their pricing and plans. Now that there is a proposed fourth tier, Standard, that is closer to the Silver plan, I'm reconsidering. The one thing I don't like about new Standard plan is the one week task history which is quite a drop from 2 year history that was available under the Silver plan. In terms of value, having only one week of history is like having no history at all. Frankly, I don't remember when was the last time I looked at task history but it was nice to know it was there. So the question for me now "Is it worth paying 80% more for Toodledo and lose two years of task history or should I switch to Outlook tasks?". I like Toodledo and have posted several comments on the internet in support of the product but it may be time for a change.

What are you using to sync Outlook with on mobile ?

Imho on the desktop, without mobile sync, Outlook is superior to Toodledo and pretty much anything else. Between custom views, conditional formatting, custom fields, integration with email and Onenote, file attachments etc. Outlook is immensely powerful. It's when you need the mobile sync or web access when things start to get complicated.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2018.
Ummagumma

I have a year of the Gold plan left.

At the current prices, even going with Standard I would be paying more for less. And way too much to regain the current functionality.

So, with Toodledo the way it is today, I would not be renewing.

They have a year to vow me back.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by Ell J:
I was a big fan of Toodledo for almost a decade daily and used it every day until about 4 years ago. Each month, over the last four years I have used it less and less. While I still pay for it (Silver Plan), my yearly subscription expires in 38 days; I have not used it in two years. No new items added.

My question for you is what will it have that is not in Office 365?

Given the abilities and apps in Office 365, I do not see the need and after looking at the roadmap, I see nothing that helps me.

Toodledo’s lack of direct interactions with voice assistances (Alex), email systems (Gmail or Outlook) phone notifications, no linking to files in the cloud (Dropbox, OneDrive, and G-Drive) and other than IFTTT, integrations are just poor. Given the new pricing, I can get everything in Toodledo with a subscription to Office 365. If I am missing, something please let me know?

What is happening to Toodledo is happening to number very good apps. Office 365 and Google development process is giving people lots of stuff for a low price point. I stopped using Evernote even earlier.

I run an IT department and can get everyone Office 365 for about $150 per seat, why would I want a group to add another $90 per seat. Why would I want to spend $60 per year, just for me, when I can spend $100 per year and cover my whole family?

What will it have that is not in Office 365? Your competition is not AnyDo, Todoist, Remember the Milk, SimpleNote, Monday, or even Slant but G-Suite, Office 365, and Zoho Suite.

I wish you luck moving forward..

What you have in a dedicated task service vs Office 365 is mobile integration. Especially alarms, Apple Watch integration, task recurrence.

If you don't need alarms and recurrence, and especially if you only track tasks from your laptop / desktop, an Excel file is actually superior in many ways.
Ummagumma

The majority of existing paying users are likely prepaid to some time in the future.

Whether or not this new payment structure works will become obvious in the next six months or so - based on the current paying user retention and new paying user subscription rates.

I honestly have very little optimism - the service is too expensive now for most people that are not deeply entrenched into it already, and grossly overpriced compared to the industry leading competitor. And realizing all the wonderful interface and usability changes that have been promised in several months’ time is going to be quite a challenge.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 23, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by MM1772:
Posted by Ummagumma:
I don’t care about task history (I use Onenote for this)

Can you give me a short description of how you use OneNote for that? Maybe it's something I could try for the tasks I actually save.

If you want to keep a record of every task, just use IFTTT. At least, it works with Apple Reminders, perhaps with Toodledo as well. You can use it to automatically create a new page for every new task, or a new page for every completed task, with subject, notes, due date and completion date.

I however don't really care to save every completed task. I track projects, tasks are just temporary tools used in executing them. If I need to save the completion date, I'd write it down in the project page. Otherwise, good riddance.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 23, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: -1
This looks better. I don’t care about task history (I use Onenote for this), and could give up file attachments (they don’t work with mobile app anyway). About the only thing I’d be missing if I remained on Standard plan is the ability to email tasks to Toodledo, which *is* an important enabler - but not important enough to spend an additional $24 per year on.

I have moved out of the service and re-established my task system around Outlook and GoodTask, but I will keep an eye on Toodledo (I am prepaid for a year). Right now, the way it stands, there’s simply no value add for me to switch back - feature wise, I’d lose more than I’d gain. But an excellent full featured mobile client may change this...
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 22, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 3
Collaboration is useful for families too - shared groceries lists, chore lists etc. But since everyone needs to have a paid Toodledo account to use it, it wasn’t really ever a personal feature, so moving it to a business plan would make more sense.
Ummagumma

Enabling SQL query building in Outlook

To access the QueryBuilder, you need to add the QueryBuilder key to the registry (Outlook 2002 and up):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\xx.0\Outlook\QueryBuilder where xx is your version number. 

https://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/using-advanced-filters/
Ummagumma

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
What about with Android, through Google Assistant? Or, is it possible to forward an email to Outlook tasks? (I know you can drag & drop am email to the Task button. Was doing that in 2001.) If I can forward an email and have it wind up in tasks, I can write an IFTTT applet that does the job.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I used the Outlook (including the task list) as my productivity package in the BlackBerry days and liked the task list very much. The primary reason for looking for another alternative was, just as you say, syncing with a mobile task app. Here is a question that I have about the Outlook task list...Is there a way to add tasks via voice?

Yes, since it sync to iOS via Reminders, you can use Siri.

Sorry, it’s been a while since I used Android, and back then I was using Toodledo with Informant.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 21, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by dismukemail:

I have used it for years and have tried tweaking it any number of ways.

My main problem with it is visual - with Toodledo I can easily group like tasks by folder and see an essentialized view of all that is on my plate at a quick glance. I have yet to find an easy way to do that in Outlook.

I am not quite sure I understand what it is you're trying to do, as what I am thinking of is very easy.

Every list created in Reminders syncs as a folder in Outlook, and vs versa.

If I want to group items from all Personal folders, but filter out Work folders, I can do it very easily in Outlook using custom views, and in GoodTask on iOS using "Smart Lists" (saved filters, i.e. also custom views). Same with 2Do.

I have two types of custom views - Master and Focus. Master shows all tasks, and Focus shows tasks between start and due dates, overdue, or manually placed there (I use Top priority for this, but could use a special tag). Master All, Master Work, Master Personal, Focus All, Focus Work, Focus Personal. I have same views set up in Outlook and in GoodTask so I am using the same workflow on both platforms. If I am working with a large project, I may sometimes create a saved view pulling together all tasks for this project.

I absolutely dislike the color coded categories that is Outlook's default method that people always suggest that I use.

Agreed. I have long ago switched to plaintext tags. I put them at the end of task subject, but could also put them in notes section. That way, I can carry these tags across all of my devices and records and apps, and use custom filtering to create views based on them.

E.g.

Project finances presentation llFU - the tag llFU means "Follow Up", i.e. someone owes me information for this.

The beauty of this approach is that I can use it across all of my documents and apps - Onenote, email, spreadsheets - and use Windows indexing or Spotlight search to quickly find all related records with same tag. And adding tags can be automated on iOS via custom keyboard shortcuts, or on Windows via some freeware utilities. E.g. instead of typing llProj all I have to type is llp. (ll is purely arbitrary, any combination of letters would work as long as it's unique enough to avoid false search results).

It is possible to place Outlook tasks in folders. But there is no folder field in the task creation interface that lets one select a folder. There is a way to add in custom fields - but I don't have the skill to associate the self created field with any actual existing folder, assuming that there is a way to do it.

Yes there is folder selection in the new task creation dialog, at least in my version of the Outlook (2016). Go to File - Move to folder. Although it's easier to just click on the right folder when creating a task. At any rate, I prefer to keep the number of folders / lists to the minimum, and use tags instead - easier to clean up after the project is done.

To create a task and assign it to a folder one has to click on File, go to the properties/save screen and then click for a folder option drop down. That is very clunky - but I could live with that clunkiness after getting used to it over time. I can get all tasks to display with separate sections for each folder - but I cannot filter out those not due on the current day. If I go to the Today view, I can sort by folder - but it does not break out the folders into separate sections.

Well, actually filtering out all kinds of tasks is precisely what Outlook is great for. Just need to learn to use it.

E.g.to show only the tasks due today, incomplete:

View -> View settings -> Filter -> Advanced -> Field selector -> Frequently used task fields -> Due date on -> manually type "Today" (without parentheses)

Click "Add to list"

Then again,

View -> View settings -> Filter -> Advanced -> Field selector -> Frequently used task fields -> Complete equals "No".

Click "Add to list"

Save view as "Due Today".

Personally, I prefer a slightly different approach. My Focus views show in progress tasks (due date on or before today, start date on or before today), and tasks with Top priority (I use it just like Star in Toodledo). I then use Conditional formatting in Outlook to assign different colors and fonts to tasks due today, Overdue, or Starred (i.e. Top priority). So when I switch to the Master view showing all tasks, I can still very easily see my overdue tasks (red), started tasks (green), due tasks (blue) or Top tasks (blue and underlined). The rest are all plain black.

I also use filters and conditional formatting to hide tasks (just like Negative priority in Toodledo). I use a tag llHide for this. They are hidden from all views except MasterAll, in which they show up as light grey and italic.

All of this takes half an hour to set up, if you know what you're doing. And it can all be replicated in GoodTask on iOS.

If you get into custom filtering in Outlook, I very much recommend to enable SQL in filters (there's a registry hack for it, easy to find on the internet). This way you can use Boolean operators to set up AND / OR conditions for filters.

For me, this means if I have a ton of tasks on my plate, I have to spend more time than a quick glance to get a good overview. And the more I have to study a long list of items, the more I feel a sense of information overload - which I personally find frustrating and have to be on guard against being discouraged by.

This is why I use Focus views. If I have a task that is due in mid-November and would take me a week to complete, I assign a start date of Nov 1st to it, and it is hidden from my Focus view - along with several dozen other tasks - and will pop up in it when its time comes. My total task count right now is over 300. My Focus view count is 4.
-
I am guessing with advanced knowledge it could be tweaked and improved. But I have spent years doing google searches to find a way to optimize things. And I have never been able to get the custom views to work for me.

What is it you're trying to achieve ? In my experience, custom views (especially after enabling SQL) are very powerful and not all that hard to set up.

I am probably quirky when it comes to such things. I know lots of people who love Outlook Tasks and use it without similar issues - but these are also people who do not struggle with information overload to the degree I do. My brain I guess is hard wired differently than many other folks - if I have a lot of information in front of me I have to be able to contextualize it, classify it and group it into hierarchies or else my brain will quickly fry. My way of doing things is just to work around my quirks and weaknesses rather than spend lots of effort to conquer them - which, for me, usually means finding tools, software programs and processes that are non-clunky to the way my brain works. But there are occasions when we have no options but to use whatever tools are provided to us.

I do use OneNote all the time - I love it. But I use it for keeping notes. After reading your comment, I did a quick Google search on OneNote Outlook integration - and immediately found a site that suggests that I might be able to use individual sections within a OneNote notebook in such a way as to perhaps accomplish what I have been wanting. That is something I will absolutely follow up on and investigate - so thanks so much for the suggestion!

OneNote is an excellent project managing tool. I use it to take notes AND develop tasks, and then export them to Outlook with a single click. Moreover, it helps me to keep high level tasks (more of brainstorming ideas) outside of my task list, and only export individual actionable items to my master list, keeping the size manageable. A lot of people just dump all tasks into their task list and then find it overwhelming.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
I used the Outlook (including the task list) as my productivity package in the BlackBerry days and liked the task list very much. The primary reason for looking for another alternative was, just as you say, syncing with a mobile task app. Here is a question that I have about the Outlook task list...Is there a way to add tasks via voice?

Yes, since it sync to iOS via Reminders, you can use Siri.
Ummagumma

No offense, but how well do you know Outlook ? Its task module, with some tweaking (plaintext tags, custom views and conditional formatting), is very powerful. Especially if you combine it with OneNote.

The difficult part is finding a mobile task app that syncs with it while maintaining the fields that you use the most.
Ummagumma

Posted by DrFrankBuck:
The proposed new pricing structure with the features included is a concern on this forum. (Probably the understatements of the year). Many long-time users talk of moving to another service.

I thought it would be good to talk about what features Toodledo offers that gives it a leg up over the competition. I'll start. Please feel free to add and correct me where I have things wrong. (Aaron and Sam, please add your thoughts.)

1. Three levels of sort
2. Toodledo Bookmarklet (I use this all the time and it's fast.)
3. Location-based reminders on the free plan
4, Use of the screen. Toodledo uses the entire screen left to right.
5. A timer for each task. (Granted, most of us don't need to know what long we have been working on each individual task, but for those who bill by the hour, this could be significant.
6. The Importance sort formula
7. The ability to add as many of few fields as desired and arrange them in the order desired.
8. Habits tracker (I don't use it, but others swear by it.)
9. The Notes module. (I use Evernote. But for those looking for something simple this one will work.)

What other services offer these? What points have I left out. As we make our own decisions about what we will use to manage our tasks, I would certainly welcome a complete list of the reasons to stay.

Let me offer my perspective, as someone who’s been with Toodledo since at least 2007.

Here’s a couple things that Toodledo doesn’t offer:

1) Integration with desktop, especially Outlook / Exchange. “Only” the most common workplace productivity tool.
2) Decent mobile clients (iOS, WatchOS)
3) An easy way to use project templates.

It’s a great service, but only within it’s limitations.

Here are the features that I used, of course everyone’s different:

1) Start date. Surprisingly, very few services offer this feature.
2) Custom filtering / saved views, specifically the ability to create a “Focus” view (in process, due, overdue, Top priority) and have it automatically populated
3) Quick sorting by Due date, Priority, or Subject.
4) Subtasks... although I could go without.
5) Hiding tasks using Negative priority

Going with GoodTask on iOS, I gain:

1) Start Date (although it requires setting Due date, can’t use Start without Due)
2) Excellent custom filtering / saved views
3) Quick sorting
4) Sync with Outlook while preserving Start Dates and Tags
5) Excellent mobile clients, including WatchOS
6) The ability to generate tasks directly from Outlook email or OneNote projects or iThoughts mind maps
7) Hiding tasks via Tags

I lose:

1) Subtasks, to an extent (it supports some kind of a primitive checklist inside tasks)
2) File attachments on mobile (which I don’t have with Toodledo anyway). I can still have attachments in Outlook.
3) Fields like Status, Context, Star, or Goal. I can replicate them with tags, if needed.

The cost ? $15 for Office Home Use program that I update once every few years; $5 or so for GoodTask, once.

And with the new Toodledo pricing, I could easily subscribe to Office 365 for just a few dollars more per year, and get full Office and 1TB of storage.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next