ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2012
  • Score: 0
Posted by Linda M:
I've requested a copy via the library. I'm on the waiting list.

Great! I think you will find it very helpful. I think it is still available for e-readers such as the Kindle for a price lower than the paperback if you don't want to wait. Check out Amazon.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 08, 2012 in: Note folders
  • PeterW 
Are you talking about Notebook notes?

If so, simply highlight the note you want to move, click the edit button and the folder will be displayed as a drop-down field.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your question.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Linda,

That is possibly the longest post I have ever seen in the forums here! :)

There are so many questions that I don't know where to start but I got the impression that you might not have read Dave Allen's book yet and are going from information you've gathered from various sources?

If that's correct, I strongly recommend that you read the book before you try to implement GTD. It will cover most of what you are asking about in terms of goals, projects, actions, whole of life perspective, etc. It really is the best place to start.

Secondly (in case it is not already clear) Toodledo is not a GTD system. It's a task manager that is not aligned to any particular methodology but is flexible enough that it can be moulded to suit different ways of working. Some of us do use Toodledo as our GTD system but know that it has weaknesses (e.g. project handling is a biggie). But there are many good threads in these forums explaining different ways of making GTD work in Toodledo and the pros/cons of each method.

Firstly though, if you haven't done so already, read Getting Things Done.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 06, 2012 in: Apply Selecgtion to all Subtasks
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 06, 2012
Posted by bjbianchi:
This isnt the case it seems if you use the multiple subtask creation option though...

That was what I was trying to say. After the tasks are created, only completing the parent will affect the subtasks. During creation (either singly or multiple) a subtask can inherit a parent task's properties although it inherits them all - you can't apply one of the fields and not others without making manual changes.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 05, 2012 in: Apply Selecgtion to all Subtasks
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2012
No, the only change to a parent task that cascades down to subtasks is when you click the completed checkbox. Nothing else will affect subtasks.

Note that during creation of subtasks, they can inherit the parent's properties.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 05, 2012 in: Mysterious tags
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2012
Posted by Linda M:
I don't see 'tags' in the list of criteria available when searching. I see contexts, dates, 'via', and so forth. No mention of tags. What am I missing?

If the Tag field is turned on in your account settings, then it should be displayed as a search criteria. Maybe you are not using this field?
PeterW 

Posted Jan 04, 2012 in: Full View
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 04, 2012
Yes... in your account settings:
http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=9

...you can select to hide the sidebar. And you can also select to put the Notes icon on the left hand side.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 03, 2012
I'd like a way to manually sort tasks but would prefer a simple drag & drop approach (as can be done now with subtasks) rather than have to set a number field.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 03, 2012 in: Problems inserting Email-to-SMS address
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 03, 2012
Select Alarms/Reminders on the Tools menu to get to the page where you can set SMS reminders.

Or just click here: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/alarms.php
PeterW 

Posted Dec 30, 2011 in: Multiple issues
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2011
It's possible that Outlook creates all instances of a repeating tasks out into the future, similar to the way it handles calendar entries. If that's the case, maybe you can try specifying an end date for the repeating tasks (e.g. today) so that there are no future instances (duplicates) before exporting them. This should give you just one copy of each of these tasks.

Toodledo works differently - recurring tasks are spawned only after the task is completed or if has a date modifier, according to the cycle specified.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 30, 2011 in: Multiple issues
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2011
Hi,

I am not sure why you have duplicated tasks in Toodledo or why the completed tasks in Outlook are still open in Toodledo but suspect it has something to do with your exported data and/or field mapping. Perhaps open the csv file in Excel so you can see what's there before you import and then make sure you are careful with your selections in step #6 here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_outlook.php

As for deleting all tasks in Toodledo so that you can start over, go into your account settings http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php and scroll to the very bottom of the page. Here you will find a link that will allow you to delete all tasks.

Or even easier, here is the direct link (it will ask for confirmation first): http://www.toodledo.com/delete_tasks.php

This message was edited Dec 30, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 29, 2011 in: Sub tasks hiding
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2011
Yes, it should show both the parent and subtask but I don't know why it's not. I use the other setting because I'd prefer to just see the subtask.

Hope you have a great new year too.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 29, 2011 in: Sub tasks hiding
  • PeterW 
I think that's your answer to this:
But now, it shows the Parent task, even when it doesn't meet the criteria, but hides the subtask unless I select "Show, Inline".

Try the second option. This is what I use so sub-tasks will display when they are meant to, and you won't see a parent task unless it meets the criteria. You can always click on the tripod icon to display the parent when you need to.
PeterW 

Score: 3
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 3
Posted by Canyon Russell:
I think this thread and many others like it show the basic problem in Toodledo's decision to not support projects as a data type.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is (in my opinion) the biggest weakness in Toodledo.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 29, 2011 in: Change Completion Date
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Yes, it would be very helpful indeed.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 29, 2011 in: No Cancel button for adding a subtask
  • PeterW 
Yep, thanks. I worked that out but it was just a bit confusing and therefore not very intuitive compared with the normal add-task process where there is a cancel button.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 29, 2011 in: Completed Tasks!
  • PeterW 
You should have access to it already. Try this:

Main view - Recently completed tab

or...

Search view - New search - checked off = yes (then click the search button)
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2011 in: No Cancel button for adding a subtask
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2011
Just noticed this... was adding a sub-task and decided to cancel out so that I can look up some info on another task. Could not find the cancel button! Same for add multiple sub-tasks.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2011 in: Note email or export ?
  • PeterW 
Are you talking about the Notes field in the task?

When I email a task, the Notes field is automatically included along with all other fields.
PeterW 

Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Toodledo has features that seem to be based on GTD methodology but it doesn't claim to be a true GTD-based system. You will find features (e.g. some of the Status field selections) that wouldn't be mentioned in Dave Allen's books and others that he would oppose (e.g. the Priority field).

So you have to work out how to make Toodledo do GTD the way that suits you. Some of us don't use the Status field at all and use folders for that. Project handling is probably the most difficult thing to do well in Toodledo and some have abandoned it over this aspect. You could use the 'waiting' status if that works for you. According to the GTD book, you don't necessarily have to specify the task(s) after the next action.

Have a read of some of the threads in this section to see what others have done with Toodledo and see what might work for you.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next