ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Dec 08, 2010 in: Personal & Work Tasks
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2010
  • Score: 0
I use both Contexts and Folders for this purpose. Tasks pertaining to home go in the Home folder, tasks pertaining to work in the Work folder. But I also have a Work and a Home context. That's because sometimes a task that has to do with home and is in the Home folder, actually has to be done while I'm at work, like calling a repairman to set an appointment. So this task resides in my Home folder, but has a context of Work.

I'm sure others have entirely different systems, TD is so flexible.

This message was edited Dec 08, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Dec 08, 2010 in: iOS App Version 2.1.2 Released
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2010
  • Score: 1
Posted by Toodledo:
Saved searches is at the top of our list, next to collaboration and file attachments. We are working on it, but don't have an ETA.

I hope that means selected Saved Searches, complete with Sort criteria, that can be the default View. If so, that will make me very happy.

In any case, thanks for keeping your momentum going. Will keep me coming back!
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 06, 2010
I'd like to post an image (jpg) in one of these forums. I googled for how to post images to fora, but all of the ones I found required that the image be posted on the web somewhere. The image I want to show is just a screenshot of one of my Saved Searches and I don't have a website where I could post it anyway. Is this doable? If so, can someone give me detailed instructions?

TIA
Salgud

Posted Dec 02, 2010 in: Procrastination help
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2010
  • Score: -1
Posted by jonrochkind:
After years of both procrastinating and GTDing, I found Mark Forster's Autofocus systems to be the best at breaking the procrastination barrier-- in GTD terms it helps you in the Do phase.

There have been multiple permuations of Autofocus, which satisfies my wanderlust while staying productive. Here's a link to the latest set of rules (called Superfocus) http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/1321345

Very interesting system. That has to be the best paper based system I've seen yet. Thanks for showing us that.
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2010 in: Procrastination help
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2010
One of my problems with GTD is that it doesn't, to my knowledge, deal with real issues like procratination. It's more a system to help hyper-doers, that always have huge task lists and want to do them all today, to get prioritized.

I find Zen To Done much for helpful for the rest of us.

http://zenhabits.net/zen-to-done-ztd-the-ultimate-simple-productivity-system/

I've also discovered a few tricks through various books.

For tasks that have to be done regularly, like housekeeping, I find it helps to set a time every week when I do my housekeeping. If I start in right after breakfast every Saturday morning with my cleaning, do it pretty much in the same order each time, it definitely helps. Of course, there are those occasionally those Saturdays where I need to be somewhere elss, and while I always promise myself I'll do them Sunday morning, all but the required ones get postponed into the week or even the next weekend.

For less frequent things, like doing income taxes, I find it helps if I set an appointment with myself to spend 30 minutes working on the task at a certain time. Usually, I can handle 30 minutes. And often, I find that by the end of the 30 minutes, it's not as bad as my imagination thought it was going to be, and I continue a while longer. And when I'm done, schedule another 30 min session.

Best of luck!

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2010 in: Postponed vs Hold
  • Salgud
I use "postponed" when a task is delayed a specific amount of time but will be done then. "Hold" is when it's being held, with no known date for it to resume. Many of these I find never get restarted and I end up cancelling or deleting (Cancelled if I want a record that I didn't do it because I was told to "hold" it. Delete if I doubt anyone will ever ask.

I don't have the issue with remembering what's started and what isn't, but if I did, I'd use "Active" status for unstarted tasks, and "Next Action" for things I've started and want to complete before I start something new.
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2010 in: [Userstyle] Toodledo sleek v1.0
  • Salgud
Looks great! Can you show us what it looks like in Multi-line mode?

Thanks!
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2010 in: Curiosity -- How much do you Topodledo?
  • Salgud
Interesting questions, should give a different insight into how many different ways we use TD and see our tasks.

1. Not at all.

2. 116 active, though many of these are repeating tasks, many of which are not normally starred until the time comes.

3. 38 in my CW folder (the acronym for the division I work in, 84 in my Work context which includes CW as well as all my projects in their individual folders.

4. I use tags for a variety of things. I have tags for my regular duties which don't fall under any project. E.g., I am the division timekeeper, which isn't enough to constitute a folder, but I want to track. I also use tags for the people who are my most frequent "customers" (internal).

5. Many of my repeating tasks go indefinitely into the future. I think the longest scheduled are a year out, repeat tasks that I do once a year.

6. The only "maybes" are my Someday tasks, which I may never get time to do, but which usually get done eventually.
Salgud

• Salgud
I don't think TD is the best task manager out there if you want a linear heirarchy as you described. I have seen others that use outlining as the main schema (don't recall which one it was), and presumably you can have many levels. But it's not TD.

Best of luck!

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010.
Salgud

• Salgud
Not at this time.
Salgud

Posted Nov 23, 2010 in: Priorities vs Statuses
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2010
I use both. Priority for how important/urgent it is, Status for, well, status. I usually have a few "waiting" tasks, waiting for a response from someone else, like when I turn in a trouble ticket to IT. Someday is someday. Most are pretty obvious. To me, it's just another way to slice and dice my task list and have the tasks I want end up on my "Starred" list, the ones I need to be working on today. Most of my tasks are "Active", which is my default/normal status. I occasionally use "Next Action" when I want to be able to separate some tasks from the rest of the "Active" tasks for multi-edit, and I know I'll be doing it in advance. I've made the relevant filters accept both "Active" and "Next Action" so they all show up when I want them to, but I can filter just that set for other purposes.

Like any other feature of TD, it's up to you. Use them if you need them, ignore them if you don't.
Salgud

Posted Nov 23, 2010 in: Suggestion: hide the redundant column
  • Salgud
Posted by Steve:
>If the context column was hidden when viewing a context, then it wouldn't be possible to move a task to a different context.

Interesting point. But:
1) For me, at least, that use case would never happen. A work task becoming a home task? Impossible.
Steve

This may come as a shock, so brace yourself. There are others of us using TD also! Some of us weirdos might be using it differently than you. :)
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by john_borwick:
+1

Here is an example of why I would like this feature:

One saved view called "Home," which shows my "home"-related contexts: home, phone, errands, on-line.

A second saved view called "Work," which shows my "work"-related contexts: laptop, office, phone.

You don't need tags or even Saved Views to do that. That's what contexts are for.
Salgud

Posted Nov 19, 2010 in: Forum answer organization
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2010
Actually, I've found this forum format exceptional, one of the better ones I've worked with over the years. I can track those threads I'm most interested in, see all of my own posts, or anyone elses with a click of the mouse. And so far, all the threads I've followed have been in chronological order. I must be missing something.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Nov 19, 2010 in: Task dependencies?
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2010
  • Score: -1
And for those who wish to store more than 65,536 files in a single directory, this is a travesty!

We'll miss you, Techno, but I'm sure the folks in the MLO forums will enjoy your wit and wisdom every bit as much as we have here. :)
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2010
Also, a lot of us use the Search tab as the default instead of the Main tab, so we go directly to our saved Searches. If you, like me, use them the most, this is the way to go.
Salgud

Posted Nov 17, 2010 in: Linking Locations and Contexts?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2010
Since, at present, you can't link them, why don't you just use Location instead of context? Or name your work location "Work" instead of 1234 Maple St.

Since you agree that linking them obviates the need to have them both in your case, and probably doesn't for others, why would they link them?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2010
Plase make it optional - I guess I'm not a "typical" user, or at least I don't assume I am.
Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2010 in: Linking Locations and Contexts?
  • Salgud
If you link them, what's the point of having both?
Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2010 in: Sort Tags
  • Salgud
Great!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next