• Score: 0
Great idea. +1 here.
Salgud

Posted Nov 15, 2010 in: Sort Tags
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 15, 2010
Actually, they are sorted, in a way. They are sorted by recent frequency of use, just like it the "tag cloud" that appears then you click on a task's Tag field.

Personally, I don't care for this. It sound good on paper, but for me, at least, I find it difficult to find a particular tag. Particularly when I've use a certain tag a lot, then am not using it again for a while. It stays at the top of my tag list seemingly forever, and the ones I'm using are down below.

I would much prefer to have an option to put tags in alpha order.
Salgud

Posted Nov 12, 2010 in: Tab order not right
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 12, 2010
IE7
Salgud

Posted Nov 10, 2010 in: Tab order not right
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 10, 2010
Does anyone else agree that the tab order in TD is awkward. If I Star an item, when I tab forward, the selected item is up in the menu, moves across the entire menu, then to Cancel, then to the Task Description field. Seems to me it should go from the Star to the task description field, then through all the task attributes, as it now does, then back up to the menu. Does that make more sense?
Salgud

Posted Nov 08, 2010 in: Select parent task when add
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 08, 2010
Posted by rodrigomjuarez:

There is some place where we can request/vote for new functions?

Dis da place! :)

Oh, and you can select the parent task and then add the subtask by clicking on the lego brick to the left of the parent task name.

This message was edited Nov 08, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: How Do You Handle Birthdays?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2010
Posted by Purveyor:
[quote]Posted by mat_rhein:

<DIV class=quote>To my opinion birthdays are nothing to be used with Toodledo- You’d need to have a task per person repeating every year which, quite frankly, would clutter up your lists...

I organized birthdays with my calendar.[/quote]Hmmm ... I disagree with both points:
1. Not putting birthdays in Toodledo.
2. Putting birthdays in a calendar.

First, #2: I use my calendar for appointments, i.e. things that happen on a specific day at a specific time. If I put "Tom's birthday" in my calendar, what does that mean? Am I buying him a present on that day at a particular time? Am I sending him a birthday wish by email, or a birthday card by mail on that day? Am I meeting with him for a drink at a particular time? Am I arranging a birthday party that day? Usually, those tasks aren't so date-and-time specific. But, if there is something that I need to do, then it's a task. If I just need to show up at the party, then it's just an appointment. Unless I need to first buy a bottle of wine ...

So, #1: If it's a task, it goes in Toodledo.

I think that most people use a calendar to track birthdays because we've always had calendars but we haven't always had a task list that allows us to track tasks that repeat every year.[/quote]

Just curious. Why did you post this question, when you obviously already had it all worked out?

This message was edited Nov 01, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Oct 28, 2010 in: hide future task filters
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2010
Posted by Alan:
Seems logical to me. I don't want to look at tasks that I cannot or have chosen not to start until the date that I set as the start date.

You can do that with a Saved Search, which is how I do it. I never use the Hotlist because I can't set it to not show future tasks, including tasks starting tomorrow. The Search Criteria I use for that are:

And
Due Date is before tomorrow
Or
Start Date is before tomorrow

Of course, this is just part of the criteria, there are also Context and Status criteria, based on my system. This gives me a long list I call "Today" of everyting that I might work on today, from which I Star the tasks I'm actually planning to work on today for my "Star" list.

I also have the Search page as my starting page since I spend most of my time there.

HTH

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010.
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
There are a lot of different systems out there. I would do a little research online for different time managment systems and find one that suits me, which I have. (You many not want to put in that kind of time or effort.) The one I like best is:

http://zenhabits.net/

You don't have to be Buddhist or practice zen to use the method. It's just about simplifying your life and getting to the essentials, something I wish I had done more of when my kids were little.

As for using TD, it helped me to figure out how to use the various features by just jumping in and trying them out. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to use Folders, Contexts, Status and Tags. I give my system only as an example, not a solution. You solution should be uniquely yours, and TD is so flexible, you can do that.

Folders - Major projects at work plus Home, Personal, Spiritual, Biography (I'm working on a personal video autobiography), etc. You may want to use folders entirely differently, as to the GTDrs, or some other way.

Context - Where, which is related to when, I'll be doing it. So I have Contexts like Work, Home, Out, Phone.

Notice, I have a Folder for Home, and a context called Home. I use the Folder to tell me what aspect of my life this task is relevant to, and the Context to make it show up in a Saved Search for where I am. For example, I have to call the insurance company about a claim, but this is a home related thing, not work related, so it goes in my Home folder. But since I'll actually make the call from work, it's context is Work, which is what I use to filter in a Saved Search for just this reason. "Call insurance company" will show up in my task list at work because it's context is Work.

Again, you can use Contexts in anyway that suits you, or not at all.

Status I use to tell me if I can do a task right now or have to wait. There are a lot of statuses to choose from, mostly pretty obvious what they mean. You can search these forums for Status for more details if you need them.

Tags I use for everything else that I might like to Search for that isn't covered by my Folders and Contexts. I have tags for the people I do things for at work because there are a lot of them. I also have tags for "Health", things I do for my personal well-being, and for my major responsibilities at work which aren't big enough to warrant a Folder.

My system reflects my basic life view of seeing things as cyclic, shades of gray, so my folders and tags sort of blend. My experience of GTDrs is that they tend to see life as black and white, and want definitive buckets to identify their tasks, so they break them down into is-or-isn't kinds of things. TD does both well.

I suggest you ask yourself a few questions before you try to design a system.

Am I a black-and-white thinker, or shades-of-gray?
How to I divide up my life in my mind?
What kinds of tasks do I remember easily? What do I tend to forget or overlook? (this is where your task manager is most needed). I don't put down brushing my teeth every day, because I've been doing it so long I don't have to remind myself. (I've seen others post that they do have a "brushing my teeth" task!)

One last suggestion. If you're new to task managment systems, start slow, baby steps. Don't try to use all the features right away. Pick a couple that make the most sense to you, and work with those until you're comfortable. If and when you feel the need for something more, add features as needed. Many users don't use many of the features of TD, they just don't need them all.

Keep coming back to the forums and asking questions. There are a lot of very helpful, knowledgeable people here, and the developers are never far away.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Oct 28, 2010 in: Nested subtasks !
  • Salgud
I imagine the developers will be along shortly to answer that.
Salgud

Posted Oct 27, 2010 in: Nested subtasks !
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2010
Posted by antomonte:
Hi,

Yesterday I discovered Toodledo, and I liked it very much. I was pulling out my credit card to subscribe, and what was my surprise I realized I could not have more than one level of subtasks. Have I studied wrong, or is it true that you can not have more sublevels?

best regards,
Antonio

True.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2010
I believe you have to do 3 tasks, as you suggest.
Salgud

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: Multiple Edit
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2010
Don't doubt we'll see it, but when is anyone's guess. There is a pretty simple workaround, though it involves a few steps.

Take your starred list, and multi-edit some field in it, with a unique identifier. E.g., give it a Status you never use for anything else, or just a temporary tag, like "Temp" or something. Destar the tasks at the same time. Enter them.

Now, go and Star all the tasks you want to multi-edit, and filter for them and edit them. Destar them when you edit them.

Finally, filter on the unique attribute or tag you applied to the original starred tasks, delete or change the unique attribute back to their previous normal attribute and destar them. Voila!

A few steps, but it gets the job done, and doesn't really take very long.

One tip: If you have a set of tasks that you know you're going to need to multi-edit in the future, give them a unique attribute so you can search on that attribute down the road.

Also, I use some fields just for this purpose, and have them filtered in with others so that this kind of task shows up in my other lists as needed. For example, I don't normally use the Status "Next Action". But I've included it in my various Searches that I use to create my daily Starred tasks list. This way, if I want to be able to isolate a group of tasks to multi-edit, I can give them a "Next Action" status. But I've added "Next Action" status to my various Searches so those tasks will still show up when I'm planning my day. Of course, you can use this in just the reverse way as well.

I would like to see a "Marked" checkbox available next to the Star. Then, just like starring, we could just go down the list and Mark the tasks we want to multi-edit, Search on Marked, and edit away. That would definitely be easier.

HTH
Salgud

• Salgud
They do now. You have to tell TD that's what you want in the Settings screen, under the Subtasks option, about halfway down the list is "Newly added subtasks default to parent's attributes".

HTH

This message was edited Oct 25, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: How Do You Handle Birthdays?
  • Salgud
Hadn't thought of putting birthdays in TD, good idea! I think I'll just put a task "buy present" 2 weeks before each birthday date. I already have their birthdays in my calendar. Obviously, you can put a task in on the birthdays as well.
Salgud

Posted Oct 25, 2010 in: Google & Toodledo
  • Salgud
Posted by pmh:
I added the Toolledo gadget to my google mail home page. I click on the Toodeldo name and it expands to show my tasks etc etc..
My question is - is there a link that will allow me to go straight to the Toodledo home page from my Google mail page? I would rather look at my tasks on the Toodeldo webpage than Googles. I dont want to open another browser page and type in the address manually.

I appreciate the help.

Yes, it's called a "Bookmark" or a "Favorite".

HTH
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2010
Widely varying opinions on the Location feature. Some disparage it entirely, others say they "need" it. Seems to me there would be good uses for it. Every weekend, I go to the grocery store. I often forget that the hardware store is right next door and I need something there too. So an actual alarm going off as I pull into the parking lot would be nice. But as I recall, the Location feature doesn't actually remind you you're near the hardware store, it's just available and will pop up with the appropriate list when you open TD. (I don't currently have a smartphone, so I haven't actually used this feature.) So it wouldn't do what I need anyway.

As far as the bus trip goes, that does seem a bit ridiculous. How often do you forget you're on the bus? Still, I imagine the you could use the location feature, at least theoretically. While the bus may move from location to location, if you're catching the same bus each day, you're probably catching it from the same location, and you could use that location in TD. So you wouldn't have to "remember" you're on the bus.

In practice, another issue comes into play. the issue is that TD's contexts are unique to a task - only one per task. There have been a lot of requests to change this, and it's on TD's task list. But from the OPs list, I'd say that virtually all "bus" tasks could be done elsewhere, making a "bus" context a poor solution. What if he finds himself at home or at the office, alone, with some time left before the family comes back or he leaves? Could make one of those phone calls or even watch a short YouTube video. Seems to me this is better done with a tag. Tag all tasks that could be done on the bus with a "Bus" tag, and do a search for that tag when you get on. (If the mobile version of TD had Saved Searches, you could use one of those, but, to my understanding, it doesn't.) Which means he still has to do it himself, and the Location feature, as it is now, doesn't come into play.

I guess he's just going to have to remember he's on the bus!
Salgud

Posted Oct 19, 2010 in: Second Sort Key has no direction
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2010
There is no such option on the second and third sorts.
Salgud

Posted Oct 19, 2010 in: Sort by...
  • Salgud
+1, along with filter
Salgud

Posted Oct 19, 2010 in: Arrow to Expand Task is gone
  • Salgud
You probably switched to "Grid" mode. Go to your settings page and set "Show tasks as" back to Multiline.
Salgud

Posted Oct 18, 2010 in: AT&T SMS
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2010
LOL! My temper has fixed a few things over the years, but not nearly as many as it's broken!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next