ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Aug 18, 2010 in: Hot List
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 18, 2010
  • Score: 2
If you go into your Settings menu and find "Hotlist", it gives you the option to set the lowest level priority you want to appear on your Hotlist and the number of days before the due date that tasks will appear.

Many users feel that this is not sufficient control and use a Saved Search as our "Hotlist" instead. I use starring to do my final selection of my "Hotlist" items, others use various date, priority, etc. to determine their Hotlist. That's what's so great about TD - it's so flexible.

Some of the users have asked for more control over the Hotlist itself so we could create a Saved Search and make it the default Hotlist. I believe TD is looking at this.

HTH
Salgud

Posted Aug 18, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 18, 2010
  • Score: 1
@Osaga

You completely ignored the indirect effects I mentioned in my last post. The development time that goes in to making TD into scheduling software would be more than a few weeks. In that time, at least a dozen other features that the majority of us want could be added. Not to mention that everytime they add a new feature, they have to contend with all that "other" code which can, and will, cause problems with any new code added. It's not just about adding a set of features.

I never said it couldn't be done, only elucidated what some of the consequences would be for all TD users, the majority of which don't want to go this route.
Salgud

Posted Aug 12, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

Posted by Claudio:
[quote]@Salgud -1
;)

Seriously, the current structure of Toodledo is not that far away from having another level of task management that straddles the line between a basic task manager and full-blown project management.

Nobody is asking for Critical Chain Project Management, or Resources and Constraints, or PERT. [/quote]

If you're doing a "real" project, then you probably need some, if not all, of those things you listed.

[quote]But, Toodledo already has Start Date and Time, Due Date and Time, Status, Duration, and a Timer. There's even a Calendar and a Scheduler. Toodledo is already more than just a task manager.

What's missing is:
Ability to edit completion dates
Task dependency
More effective scheduler
Simple Gantt chart
Sharing that actually facilitates collaboration

None of the above is going to transform Toodledo into a Project Management solution. Just a more powerful task manager for handling more complex projects. [/quote]

That's arguable. Let's look at your list:

Ability to edit completion date - probably not much effort.

Task dependency - Here's a big one. What kinds of dependencise do you want supported? Strictly FS, or SS, FF, SF also? What about lead and lag?

More effective scheduler - sky's the limit here, could be a few days work, or months, depending on what a "more effective scheduler" means.

Simple Gantt Chart - medium effort, depending on features.

Sharing that actually facilitates collaboration - again, depends. Guessing, I'd say weeks for sure, maybe months.

[quote]Unfortunately, the Toodledo development team is dealing with adding some more basic functionality, along with improving the overall look and feel of the software. Also, they seem to be struggling quite a bit with the idea of "intuitive".[/quote]

Or fortunately, depending on your POV. :)

Posted by Salgud:

<DIV class=quote>there are hundreds of software programs out there that lie somewhere between task managers and Primavera. Some cloud-based, some desktop. If you need those capabilities, take your pick. [/quote]Any suggestions?[/quote]

Have only very briefly looked at a couple of the programs out there now, so I can't make a suggestion. With a reasonable effort, it could be found. You'd need to start with a needs assessment, though you're already close with what you have listed above. If you're serious, you'd have to flesh that out and ask the questions I've asked. Maybe look at what's out there to help you determine your needs. You also have to look ahead, because inevitably, with this kind of app, your needs will change as you become accustomed to whatever you start with. Having only FS dependencies will work fine for a short while, but in a few months, you'll wish you had all the others (ok, you might never need SF!)

And there's the rub. After a year or less of using one of those handy packages, you'll probably be yearning for just a little more. Maybe resources? Costing? And the same would happen with TD. If they incorporated just your "simple" list, before the ink was dry on our computer screens (badly broken metaphor), you'd want whatever was next. And a month after that, something else.

Having consulted and trained for many years in Project Management, and used a number of the popular tools, primarily M$ Project, I can tell you, you'll either give up and go back to something simpler, or you'll move upward and onward to scheduling software, which is what you need if you're serious about getting control of even relatively small projects. I wouldn't even attempt to build a small house without it. It's all about the coordination of multiple simultaneous efforts that neccitates CPM/Critical Chain and Network Diagrams and the rest. The big problem is the learning curve, but, again, if you're serious, it's time to learn. Sounds like you already have a start. Why try and make TD into something it will never be really good for?

In truth, this whole conversation is moot. Neither of us will ultimately decide where TD goes. The TD team will do that. And I strongly doubt they'll go that route. I certainly hope not.

I wish you the best in finding something that serves your needs. But from my experience, it isn't a task manager, it's some kind of scheduling software.
Salgud

Posted Aug 12, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2010
Posted by Osaga:
SOLUTION TO TD BECOMING TOO BIG ISSUE

I see people asking for TD to be a simple task list and others who would buy it, but don't are looking for more features.

Retain both customers by being able to put TD into one of two 'modes'.

TASK MODE - for those who want a simple task list (basically limit features and minimize the UI... so it would be similar to what it is currently).

PROJECT / SCHEDULING MODE - for those who want a more complex scheduler with multi user capabilities. All features turned on and UI optimized for this mode.

Just an idea that would help to retain current customers and gain new ones.

Kind of the classic answer to the old and endless arguments in these kinds of forums between those who want the product to continue more or less as is and those who want it to morph into something vastly more complex. But such a button as you suggest doesn't solve the fundamental problems that those of us who like TD as is, fear. When you add that level of complexity, whether it's showing on your screen or hidden in the bowels of the internet, it still affects the package as a whole. Having done just enough programming to be dangerous, I believe that just like most things in life, doubling the size or complexity of a program quadruples the problems in writing and debugging the code, and that is felt, both directly (glitches) and indirectly (time for new features to be added). So it appears to solve the problem at first glance, but in fact, by itself, adds complexity, cost, and development time. The "magic button" is not any kind of a solution. Never has been, never will be.
Salgud

Posted Aug 10, 2010 in: Hide future tasks in a Saved Search
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 10, 2010
  • Score: 0
Thanks to all. Got it working now.
Salgud

Posted Aug 10, 2010 in: Hide future tasks in a Saved Search
  • Salgud
I use my saved searches as my default in TD and which I use as my standard place to view my daily task list. Since there are no built-in filters in the Search views, I can't filter out future versions of my repeating tasks. What I'd like is the ability to do a Search and have a "Due Date is before tomorrow" with "tomorrow" being the day after today, not a specific date.

I'm hoping this is already on the list and coming very soon.
Salgud

• Salgud
Very interesting thread! I just took the survey and here is my comment at the end:

My vision for a perfect task manager is a lot like TD in back and Things up front. I also know, from my own experience and from talking to developers, that a UI that goes more than two levels deep (the interface and one level down, like TD) is confusing to the majority of users. That said, I'd like to have just the key features that I use daily on the first level, and everything else out of sight except when I venture there to set it up or make changes, which would require one more level.

In TD, that would be having a "Views" option, in which only selected views of my task list would normally be visible. A "view" being a filtered, sorted, search that I've selected to appear on the main screen. So when I start out with TD, I could go in and create as many Saved Searches and filters as I like, Sort them however I want, and when I get exactly what I'm looking for, save it as a View to appear on a list of views on the main screen. In my case, I'd probably have views like "Today's Work", Today's Personal", "Today All", and "Due Next 3 days". Maybe a couple of others. Hidden from the that first level would be a bunch of other less frequently used views, primarily for selecting tasks from longer lists, pretty much like the ones availalble in TD now, to be starred to display them in one of my "Views". This would give me the depth of TD, and the pretty face of Things. I wouldn't even have to do tasks anymore - I would have already died and gone to heaven!

END OF SURVEY

I'd like to add that while I'm now a Mac user at home, I don't require that all my apps look Mac-like, as some here have suggested. And I don't think I'm all that unusual. I suspect that those who've lived in the Mac world for a while, even made their living there, begin to believe that all Mac users have drunk the koolaid. But there are a lot of us who like the Mac system but don't have to have everything in our lives, or even everything on our computers, look and feel "Mac-like". My brother and all three of my sons are Mac users, yet I doubt that any of them would eschew a software package that was useful to them just because it wasn't "Mac-like". One of the things I dislike about my iMac is the total lack of color in the vast majority of Mac apps, especially the Apple written apps. I like color, lots of it, splashed all over my house and all over my computer screen. I have very colorful screen savers and very colorful skins on Chrome and FF to give a little life to my otherwise rather drab iMac. I know that's not very "Mac-like", and I don't care.

What I want to say to TD and to other developers is that not all Mac users want that drab, white-on-white "Mac-like" look that Apple favors these days. And we don't have to have everything on our iMacs and Macbooks look tired and faded. There are a fair number of us in the TD forums, using TD, which is about as un-Mac-like as you can get. We'd all be using Things, and waiting endlessly for their rare developer appearances and even rarer upgrades if we were really hung-up on everything on our Macs being "Mac-like".
Salgud

Posted Aug 10, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Score: 2
Posted by Transisto:

I'm tired of those post fearing changes.

Not afraid, just don't want TD to try to be scheduling software. I have a list of changes I'd like to see, just as most of us do. But asking the developers here to make TD emulate scheduling software is about as appropriate as going to an M$ Project forum and asking them to dumb it down to a task manager.
Salgud

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 09, 2010
"I think there is a huge gap in the marketplace between task management software and project management software. To my knowledge there is nothing out there with good graphical dashboards, limitless hierarchical subprojects, and Gantt charts along with the features, ease, and flexibility of ToodleDo."

That's the problem. You can't have all those features and have the "ease" of TD. Having used, taught and consulted on Project Management and scheduling software (there is no project management software) for many years, I don't want TD to try to become mini-project scheduling software. One, I like TD pretty much as it is, with a few wishes I've posted elsewhere.

Two, there are hundreds of software programs out there that lie somewhere between task managers and Primavera. Some cloud-based, some desktop. If you need those capabilities, take your pick. But let's keep TD as a really great task manager.

This message was edited Aug 09, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Salgud
Thanks for letting us know!
Salgud

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: Due Date change
  • Salgud
Thanks for your reply.

I guess I've been manually refreshing often enough it hasn't been an issue.

This message was edited Aug 09, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: Due Date change
  • Salgud
Thanks for your reply.

I know what a browser refresh is, been clicking on the "Refresh/Reload" button since the days of Mosaic. I assumed that pressing "R" in TD was just a shortcut for Ctrl-R or for clicking on the Refresh icon, based on the problem I was having and what TD suggested I do instead.

My comment was more about the fact that I haven't had the need to refresh the browser even when I've left it open for days. I know that certain web pages, like Google Calendar, most email pages, etc, automatically periodically reload the page. Some even give you the opportunity to choose how often they refresh. I leave my home computer on for weeks at a time, and don't recall ever seeing the situation you described in TD there. But I can't remember for sure leaving it on for days and then going to schedule a task, so I'm not sure I wouldn't see the same thing under those conditions.

I would think that a task management app like TD would refresh automatically periodically, but I don't know that for a fact. Wonder if someone on the team would let us know?
Salgud

Posted Aug 08, 2010 in: Due Date change
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 08, 2010
Interesting. I've had TD open in my browser at home for many days, but don't have this problem. Wonder why?

Also, I was recently told by TD that pressing "R" is a reload, just like clicking on the Reload icon. I was using "R" when I wanted to update the page I was on and getting browser related error messages. So, AFAIK, pressing "R" is a browser reload.
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2010 in: TD Mac-like interface broken
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 06, 2010
Tried another theme tonight, and got it to work in Chrome (OSX)
I like the side tabs a lot better, less clutter at the top, more of them fit along the side before they go off-screen.

Thanks to those who created this theme!
Salgud

• Salgud
Outlining features in TD? I missed that. Can someone point them out to me?
Salgud

Posted Aug 06, 2010 in: Getting IE error message
  • Salgud
I get it now. Thanks for the tip!
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2010 in: TD arbitrarily assigns reminders
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, was set to one hour. I thought that was the default duration, not default setting for all new tasks. Got that one fixed.
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2010 in: Reuse project (task with same subtasks)
  • Salgud
Bummer! So the subtask feature doesn't really do much then. I still have to do all the edits to each subtask in turn, no way to edit them all unless I tag them or move them individually to a folder first. Then I can filter and multi-edit. All the template does is group them so they're all together.

Is it on the list to be able to move a super-task and have it's subtasks move with it? Better yet, have the subtasks inherit the tags, folder, context, etc of the supertask? Maybe even a check-off list so we could select which attributes are inherited and which are not? That would be really nice!

EDIT: Found a way to take a clone of a supertask and isolate it and just it's subtasks.

I renamed the clone task, making sure to use at least one unique work that isn't used anywhere else in any other task. In this case, it was "Saguache", the name of a county in Colorado and the one for which my project is being done. Could just have easily used "Unique" or "Zebra".

Do a Search for tasks with the unique word. The new supertask will be the only one in the search result.

Click on the "Show subtasks" icon. They won't show up yet, but if I click next to the note on the lower right of the task which says "Some subtasks are hidden because of your search" where it says, "Show all", the subtasks are displayed.

I can now do a multi-edit on just the supertask and it's subtasks and move it to a folder, change it's status, tag it, etc.

I'm sure others have figured this out and it's elsewhere in these forums, but I searched and couldn't find it. So here it is again for others who might be trying to do this same thing.

This message was edited Aug 06, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Aug 05, 2010 in: TD arbitrarily assigns reminders
  • Salgud
How does TD decide when to assign reminders? Can I get it to stop doing that? I'd like it to let me assign reminders when I need them. Does anyone know why or how this is automated? Known glitch?
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2010 in: Getting IE error message
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2010
When I mark a task complete, then press "R" to update the screen, I get this error message:

"To display the webpage again, Internet Explorer needs to resend the information you've previously submitted.

If you were making a purchase, you should click Cancel to avoid a duplicate transaction. Otherwise, click Retry to display the webpage again."

Followed by a Retry and a Close button.

When I click Retry, it reopens TD, but with my "All Tasks" tab selected instead of my Work-Today tab, and the task I marked complete is still there, not marked complete.

Does anyone know what causes this? If I click on another tab, then come back, the page is updated (the completed task gone), without this irritating message.

Any suggestion? Known bug?

EDIT: Should have mentioned, I'm using IE 7.0.5730.13

This message was edited Aug 05, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next