ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Qrystal"
Qrystal

Posted Apr 11, 2008 in: Starred Tasks
Score: 0
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2008
  • Score: 0
I like how stars are completely distinct from priority. Priority is already there, and the font colour and boldness already changes with priority.
Qrystal

Posted Apr 11, 2008 in: stars, great idea!
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2008
Roman, that's a good idea, using stars for Next Actions!! After all, there should always be a Next Action set on each project, right? Hmmmm!!

What I'm using stars for is to mark just a small number of things that I'm going to focus on for the time being. I suppose it's kinda like the Scheduler in that sense, except I am selecting the items that go on it... so it's also completely unlike the Scheduler. :P

Maybe once I get my Hotlist down to a reasonable number of items (and yes, everything on there NEEDS to be there, I check and tweak regularly!), I'll be looking for a new use for the stars.

Heck, and maybe once new functionality is put in for the stars, I'll want to use them in other ways.

But for now -- they are exactly perfect for what I need!!!!! I am completely giddy about how well they're working for me already, and they've barely been out for a day.
Qrystal

Posted Apr 10, 2008 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: 1
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2008
  • Score: 1
Toodledo.com - check!

RescueTime.com - check! Too bad the java charts seem to lag me immensely lately, I haven't been able to see my progress...

Paymo.biz -- for awesome time tracking, both in accumulated time towards projects and tasks and in showing what I did at what time of day (I was curious about "gaps" in progress)

The Journal -- for tracking and describing progress on habits and goals and projects, and reference material and stuff

Twitter -- for uh.. randomly reporting what I'm doing? :P
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Sorry, I guess I forgot to finish explaining before I posted. I did try adding a dummy subtask, and it exists just fine, but none of the pre-existing subtasks are there anymore.
Qrystal

Posted Apr 10, 2008 in: Jott interoperability
  • Qrystal
I tried "TO DO" (or too due, or two do, or something) ... it didn't end up working very well for me after all.

I forget what I changed it to eventually, but the last time I used it, I wasn't even able to get to the point where I could say the task I wanted to jott because I was in too noisy an area. I gave up, and realized I'd probably almost always rather twitter anyways, and now I'm living happily ever after.
Qrystal

• Qrystal
OK -- I tried this, by doing a Search for all Completed Tasks. I clicked on the "subtask" icon, and the parent icon WAS loaded in place ... but none of the parent's subtasks exist, even though I'm looking in the view of all Completed Tasks!

It's not terribly important to me, but if there's more bugginess around, I am happy to help you figure it out...
Qrystal

Posted Apr 10, 2008 in: GTD app poll
  • Qrystal
Good find!!! I've voted now too!
Qrystal

• Qrystal
Uh oh ... I wonder if I have any parents with missing children? I can't even think of how I'd possibly search for this... hmmm...
Qrystal

Posted Apr 10, 2008 in: Starred Tasks
  • Qrystal
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! I'm so excited about it, I typed each "thank you" explicitly instead of copying and pasting!!!!

I must also humbly add that I'm SO glad I suggested it! ;P
Qrystal

Posted Apr 08, 2008 in: Projects in GTD
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Apr 08, 2008
What I *think* is most important about projects is this: You must be able to easily review your progress in them in your Weekly Review.

Disclaimer: I've not yet actually done a GTD Weekly Review. And this method I'm about to describe has kinda just been floating around my head, waiting for me to sit down and write about it. I've started implementing parts of it, I just haven't gotten around to actually going all the way and Reviewing. If you try it, let me know if it helps! :)

STEP ONE: Figure out some way to get your projects listed on a list of their own. This could be a tag or context or part of the task description; it just must be SEARCHABLE, because...

STEP TWO: Set up a Saved Search entitled "Projects" that lets you quickly see all the projects you have on the go. Make sure every project is labelled, but only label it ONCE so it comes up on the list just once.

I chose to use a context of -project-, figuring that I'd only be in "Project Review Mode" during my weekly review.

Some thoughts on how to apply the label (which as I said above, may be a tag or context or part of the task name):

- For larger projects that will involve more than one Weekly Review, set up a weekly repeating task that says something like: "review progress on project ABC" and label it -project-.

- For smaller projects that can be defined in a Pro account as just a handful of subtasks under one parent task, just slap the -project- label on the parent.

- Then when you do the Weekly Review, you just go to your Saved Search entitled "Projects", and presto! The list reminds you to review the bigger projects, and you can also see the parent tasks for the smaller projects.

The next thing to figure out (and I'll admit, this is where I'm stuck) is what to actually DO in a Weekly Review. I think it's mostly just making sure there is a clearly defined Next Action for each project, and that's supposed to make progress easier. I'm gonna have to try it someday and see.. :)

This message was edited Apr 08, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Apr 02, 2008 in: In Box Default
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2008
I've got it!!!

I've been using "No Folder" as my Inbox... which has been working great, but lacks the class of seeing it explicitly labeled Inbox.

The solution? I have a saved search for "No Folder" that I have saved with the name "Inbox". :P

If the future holds improvements to the search page (such as specifying one thing OR another) I will also add: OR tag = "No Tag"... OR goal = "No Goal"... so I have one place to check for all things that still need processing. Since, after all, that's what an Inbox is: it's the pile of stuff that isn't processed.
Qrystal

• Qrystal
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2008
I wonder if your question is similar to this one:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/67/0/google-calendar-shows-all-days-in-bold.html

So perhaps it's a limitation of Google Calendar..?
Qrystal

Posted Mar 26, 2008 in: Time Tracking
Score: -1
  • Qrystal
  • Score: -1
One of the first steps to managing time is to know where it goes... but who wants to track time? Yeeechhh!!

I've been using RescueTime to track what I do on the computer. Every so often, I check what I've been doing, and I tag all the apps and websites with keywords I've chosen for the different types of activities I do. Then I rate those keywords for how they contribute to (or detract from) my productivity.

Baddabing, baddaboom, my time is starting to manage itself! :) Well, no, it doesn't do everything, but it does help. It's more like a motivational tool -- like I've hired my own Big Brother to watch over my shoulder, but I can tell him what to do. Or something.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 26, 2008 in: How are you using Folders?
  • Qrystal
I thought for a moment that you could set a default folder in the Folders setup area .... but no, you can't!

You could your default CONTEXT to "Inbox", and then use that as your place to check for things needing processing....

But then again, I realized something else about my method: I'm actually using BOTH "No Folder" and "No Context" as my Inbox, and any way I use to quickly add tasks (Jott, Firefox plugin, Twitter...) I simply never set either of those fields, and presto! The task is in my Inbox! :P

The benefit: when I log into Toodledo, no matter which section I look at first (Folders or Contexts) I will see that my "No ______" section has some tasks in it. (For those who can't see the number of tasks in each tab but want to, turn on "Show Tab Counts" in Account Settings -- I LOVE that feature!)

Then to process a task, I make sure to set a Context and a Folder and a Tag ... well, I set everything I can, actually. And presto! Processed, and out of my Inbox! :)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 26, 2008 in: Printable Booklet
Score: -1
  • Qrystal
  • Score: -1
Posted by pt:
(you must have a heck of a time with people mis-spelling your name!)

Actually, yeah, people misspell my real name (Crystal) all the time. Which is odd, because it's a dictionary word.

Once I started misspelling my name on purpose for use as my internet identity "Qrystal", nobody's ever messed it up :)
Qrystal

Posted Mar 20, 2008 in: Timer doesn't work
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Mar 20, 2008
You know, I've noticed that sometimes the timer isn't working for me, either. And I mean that I know I saw the "play" turn to "pause" and several minutes have passed, and it's still showing 0:00. In fact, it just happened.

I've just been chalking it up to intermittent connectivity or something, but maybe there's something else. I'll keep an eye on it...

EDIT: I refreshed the page, and saw that the timer had actually incremented. However, when I paused the timer to come here to discuss it, it was still showing zero.

So, maybe that's it. Maybe it just isn't able to refresh all the time, but it's still ticking away.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 19, 2008 in: Printable Booklet
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2008
I fiddled a bit when I first printed one, and found that my mistake was forgetting to put the "cover page" at the front. Refolding with that in mind helped me get it.

If that doesn't help, there's a demonstration you can check out at pocketmod.com.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 18, 2008 in: Subtasks
  • Qrystal
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2008
Thank you Tom, your "workaround" is exactly what I needed!!!

I didn't want my main task to show up on the Hotlist either, because I'm using the parent as a sort of project "folder" for the pile of tasks.

However, my tasks repeat every week. With no due date on the parent, it stays out of the way while the tasks inside just keep cycling around, appearing on the Hotlist when they should.

The other thing I'm doing is numbering the tasks, because they can really only happen in a specific order:
1. pick up assignments to mark
2. mark assignments
3. return assignments to students
4. submit grades to prof

It's a simple enough task-of-several-parts that this works just fine.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 18, 2008 in: How are you using Folders?
  • Qrystal
I've got some general categories:
- Self (further separated by tags for things like health, career, education, vehicle)
- Home (really, Family and Household and Finances and PC Maintenance all wrapped into one)
- People (to contact, to show pictures to, to repay for things, etc.)

and some specific "mega-project" categories:
- THESIS (in caps because it's uber-important!)
- Teaching (with tags separating the different classes)
- Blogging (with tags separating the different blogs, and different categories of actions)

The main ideas behind separating them out like this:
- I must take time for my Self and my Home
- I like to see at a glance where I stand with other People
- I really need to make sure to encourage focus on my THESIS
- Teaching is basically my "Work" category, but I hate calling it "Work" because I do enjoy it
- and Blogging .. well, there were just too many things in that category for it to be absorbed into the Self, and it kinda had to do with other People too ... so it got a class of its own.

The whole idea is so that I can get a grasp of things easily for a Weekly Review (which I plan to do, someday, maybe -- GTD joke, haha!) And it looks like this will be a useful division for use in the Scheduler too.

Keep this discussion going! I like hearing more ideas!!
In particular, I like the INBOX idea. Thanks muchly, Roman!!! I think I've been using my "No Folder" folder in that way, though ... I'm just going to enforce that from now on, and cut out a step in quickly adding tasks. Yay!

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008.
Qrystal

Posted Mar 18, 2008 in: Jott interoperability
  • Qrystal
Posted by tjreo:
I ended up changing mine to "two do" and that works for me.

Me too :)

I haven't used it much yet though, as I tend to be near a computer more often than not.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next