ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Score: 0
I submitted a support ticket on Friday, no reply so far.

It does seem that the auto renewal option is no longer available, that’s why my account says “expires on” and not “auto renews on”.
Ummagumma

Posted by Kat_2:
Posted by Ummagumma:
What features do you use ? And what OS ? (by your posts I assume iOS for mobile) ?

There’s a number of services and I think I’ve tried most of them, but finding the right one is really dependent on what is it you want from it.

Yes... I've been giving this some thought...

I access my tasks on my phone (iOS 12) and would like to use to my watch (WatchOS 5), BUT I also like to have a web interface, because I use a Windows PC (so Mac clients don't work for me).

Feature-wise, I use the Context field a lot. I also allocate Length and Priority to all my tasks. I like to have a start date and a due date, and I like being able to sort by due date AND context AND priority. I don't use Habits or any of the other features, really. I tried Habits for a while, and didn't find it particularly beneficial. I like to be able to access and search my completed tasks, for those times when you need to remember what you did and, critically, when. It seems like a small thing but I like having "due today" "due tomorrow" and "due in the next week" on the same page and visible, BUT clearly delineated so that I can actually clear today's list.

What's nagging at me right now is that ToDoist has a web interface, but it's more expensive and can't import from Toodledo. On the other hand 2Do is cheaper and can import, BUT no web interface.

Posted by gtappend:
:
Todoist has a thing called "Labels" giving it a second tier which I am looking at using like the Contexts I have in Toodledo. It's also $29/year, so it costs about the same as the Gold subscription did until now.

Thing is, I currently have Toodledo silver subscription. So ToDoist premium would be a price hike, for me. It might be worth it... not sure yet.

I see. I can’t think of a system that uses Length. But then I never had any use for this feature, so probably didn’t pay attention.

Context can easily be replaced by tags or lists.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 19, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: Product Principles
Posted by BobGott:
This may seem trite to some, but I'm hoping for better formatting in the task's note section.

Presently we have code in very few HTML options for notes.

Formatted notes really help me understand important items and as well as quickly reading through longer notes as well. The formatting should also apply for items in notes.toodledo.com as well.

If helping your users speed through their tasks is a priority, then this is a big plus for me.

2Do app developer doesn't really seem to be very open to feature requests or product changes. One

If you have access to MS Outlook, you can import tasks in CVS format and sync to a variety of sources.
Ummagumma

Score: 1
Posted by J.O.D.:
Alright, I may found a solution for the time being. I will re-enable my monthly Gold subscription and at the same time I will closely examine TickTick, because it looks both very interesting and has a monthly subscription for $2.79. Smart lists, reminders independent on due date and for subtasks... That could work. And I will still have time to upgrade Toodledo to yearly Gold with old price (fingers crossed), should I decide to drop TickTick. BTW: Two-way Google Calendar sync has been changed to Planned.

TickTick headquarters are in China, a country notorious for industrial espionage.
Ummagumma

Posted by frogboy:
Posted by Ummagumma:
2Do syncs with Toodledo, so what import options are needed ?

You are correct it does.

But it is a pain if you have a large database of say 10,000 tasks in 2Do and every time you wish to add more bulk data is reset the sync to Toodledo, import and hope you don’t corrupt or loose stuff when your merge the databases.

2Do and Toodledo are not perfect companions. No background sync on desktop and quite a few fields are incompatible.

2Do is best with Dropbox sync.

I thought you were talking about getting data out of Toodledo, once.
Ummagumma

2Do syncs with Toodledo, so what import options are needed ?
Ummagumma

Posted by matanln:
Another old user here (joined 2010).

I dig the price hike, to an extent.
The service is about to enter an intense, costly development phase.

I would have been happy to pay double for my gold subscription.
But 3x is just too much.

That's one possibility...
Ummagumma

Posted by Kat_2:
Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by Kat_2:
Posted by Ummagumma:

Check out GoodTask, too. It works with Outlook (via Reminders) and syncs more fields than 2Do, which is a huge thing if you’re at an organization that runs on Exchange and Office. 2Do is an exceptional app but it is largely a thing in itself.

Does GoodTask sync or import tasks from Toodledo? To be honest at this point I just want the quickest solution! I don’t use Outlook.

No, GoodTask doesn’t sync with Toodledo. I think I am done with the service, sadly.
There was a guy on this forum who marketed his own task app which did sync with Toodledo, I think it was called TaskAngel. It would probably be your best bet if you want to preserve all fields. If you’re not using Context or Goal or Status fields, look into 2Do, it’s amazing.

I use the context field, but could probably cope without it. The thing that's slightly putting me off 2Do is the lack of a web interface. My other option is then Todoist, but that's more expensive. I do like being able to enter tasks on my computer without having to constantly pick up my phone.

What features do you use ? And what OS ? (by your posts I assume iOS for mobile) ?

There’s a number of services and I think I’ve tried most of them, but finding the right one is really dependent on what is it you want from it.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 19, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 4
Posted by J.O.D.:
This is a terrible situation for all of us. I have changed my mind at least four times during last three days! I have already deleted my tasks and transfered them to another tool, yet here I am again, renewing my monthly Gold and restoring all tasks, as every other tool I have tried fails short in some aspects I love about Toodledo. So, the owners now have a little more than 2 months to actually present something other then increased pricing. Not because of me, but because of new users registered after January the 1st going down to zero (honestly, just checking the pricing of plans would probably put me off at once).

It all depends on what features you used most, and what systems you’re migrating to.

I’ve already moved all of my tasks to Outlook / GoodTask combo, syncing via Reminders. I retained most of the features that I use (Start Date, custom filtering (aka saved searches), tags). I lost some features that I didn’t use (Contexts, Goals, multiple priority levels), some features that I couldn’t use because they wouldn’t sync to 2Do and Toodledo’s own mobile app is buggy and unreliable (task status, attachments), and the ability to access the full-featured version of my task list on web. I gained push sync with Outlook, the ability to create tasks from emails on my desktop without having to forward them to another email address, the ability to share my tasks with people in my organization (via Exchange) and family members (via Reminders) without having all of them subscribe to Toodledo. The biggest hurdle to overcome was the fact that Outlook (and GoodTask) don’t allow assigning a Start date without having a Due date; this took me a whopping hour to adjust to.

I am prepaid for the Gold account until the end of October 2019, just renewed a few weeks ago at the old rate of $30. It doesn’t make sense for me to keep using the service until the subscription expires, I would be just delaying the inevitable, and taking the chance that the whole thing will fold just as I am up to my ears in work and don’t have the time for a sudden drastic workflow adjustment. I will be keeping an eye on Toodledo in case they pull off a miracle and produce a service that I would be glad to pay for at 3x the price of it’s biggest competitor. Otherwise, they can keep my $30, along with wishes of best of luck.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2018.
Ummagumma

Score: 4
“I understand it's a business strategy for the devs“

Well I don’t.... unless the strategy is to squeeze the maximum amount of revenue from existing users in a minimum amount of time... but even this is highly unlikely to succeed. They would need to have more than 33% of current paying users renewing at the new rates to make any money. Somehow, I don’t see this happening. In the meantime, it’s practically guaranteed that the number of new users will drop drastically.

I really fail to see the logic behind this move. Perhaps I just don’t understand their final goal.
Ummagumma

Posted by Kat_2:
Posted by Ummagumma:

Check out GoodTask, too. It works with Outlook (via Reminders) and syncs more fields than 2Do, which is a huge thing if you’re at an organization that runs on Exchange and Office. 2Do is an exceptional app but it is largely a thing in itself.

Does GoodTask sync or import tasks from Toodledo? To be honest at this point I just want the quickest solution! I don’t use Outlook.

No, GoodTask doesn’t sync with Toodledo. I think I am done with the service, sadly.

There was a guy on this forum who marketed his own task app which did sync with Toodledo, I think it was called TaskAngel. It would probably be your best bet if you want to preserve all fields. If you’re not using Context or Goal or Status fields, look into 2Do, it’s amazing.
Ummagumma

Posted by Kat_2:
I haven’t had the email yet, but I definitely won’t pay the prices people here are describing. I understand the need to pay developers but, as others have said, if you increase prices this much there won’t be any customers to develop FOR.

Have you done any customer research, Toodledo?

I like Toodledo, but not that much. I spent a year using different apps actually and they were all okay, not as flexible/powerful, but okay.

I will probably pay 2Do’s one-off lifetime £19.99 fee. At least that works with Apple Watch (which Toodledo doesn’t, despite its website promises) and it has a nicer interface. It syncs with Toodledo as well, so it’s a quick transfer.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by jzamoras:
I renewed silver 2 years ahead about 1 month ago so I'm ok for now, but at this price point there are better alternatives.

Heck, for me at this price point there are free alternatives. I make heavy use of Start date based filtering but could care less about Contexts or Goals (and these are easily reproducible via tags anyway).

I just realized that with one of the recent updates, GoodTask made it possible to create a custom Focus view combining in-process tasks, overdue tasks, and undated / future tasks that have Top priority (my surrogate method for Starring a task). GoodTask syncs via iOS Reminders to Outlook and unlike 2Do, it syncs Start Dates. It also uses a plan text Tagging method that can also be used in Outlook. So, between GoodTask on my iOS devices, and Outlook on my work and home computers, I can replicate most of the features I used in Toodledo (mainly, advanced custom filtering using Start dates), using Reminders as a sync engine. There are some negatives - I need to make some adjustments to my workflow ( e.g. Outlook doesn’t allow to have a Start date without a Due date), the subtask implementation is atrocious in GoodTask and non-existent in Outlook, no attachments (which I haven’t been using nearly as much as I though I would), and my only web access is via iCloud Reminders. On the other hand, I gain push sync, the ability to create tasks directly from Outlook or OneNote or any app on iOS that supports Reminders, and no subscription.
Ummagumma

Score: 3
Posted by J.O.D.:
All right, so I got my e-mail and I am actually more or less O.K. with the plans and the price is steep, but still I am more pro-Toodledo than con. However, if there is no monthly subscription for Individual plan, that would be dealbreaker for me. Of course I expect some users to leave Toodledo, as this is still a massive price increase (Individual plan is twice the Gold plan).

Combine old users leaving and new users running away (the plan is now super expensive compared to competition, and the promised changes are at best months away) and you risk being forced out at worst possible time, whether you like it or not.

I have a subscription which I just prepaid year ahead at $30 and I am walking away now, while I can do it at my pace.

Ummagumma

Score: 2
Posted by SyneRyder:
Personally, I'm less concerned about the pricing (though that 3x hike is much more than I expected) and more about how long Toodledo is staying around. If the price increase really does help Toodledo stay around forever, great! But I'm worried the inevitable customer attrition may just speed up its demise. I didn't realize the competition has some rather well documented developer APIs for third-party apps too.

For me, the main pricing irritation is that the Individual plan has only 1 year of task history. If it had unlimited task history, I could downgrade from Gold to Individual, and then it would only be a 2x price hike for me. I don't use Toodledo as a business & don't need the collaboration features or file uploads, but I do like the peace of mind of unlimited history (and being able to do statistics on that task history).

When I read the line about “aligning prices with plans” I knew it was the time to start looking around.

You don’t align prices with plans. You align prices with what you have to offer *now*. Because that’s what your potential customers are making their decision based on. The new TD guys are essentially treating this as a kickstarter project, and it’s not.

Ummagumma

Score: 2
I just renewed Gold at the old price, but will likely switch soon because I will not pay the new price and there’s no reason to spend a year with a service that I know I won’t be using long term. Better to start honing the new habits as soon as possible.

I do wish the new owners luck.
Ummagumma

Score: 10
Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Hi all,

We are in the process of hiring engineers so that we can build upon the product. In order to do so, we need to make sure our plans and pricing are aligned. Some folks have seen the first iteration of this plan, and if you haven't gotten the email yet it's because they're still working through the send queue. You will receive it soon.

We understand that some people have questions. However, this is what we need to do to support the business and build the product our users have asked for here and in other feedback channels.

As always, we're open to all feedback. If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach me directly at [email protected].

Aaron,

Forgive me for being blunt, but I think you are committing suicide as a company.

Toodledo is a great service, but it simply isn't in a position to command these prices. It doesn't have the name recognition, visual design, integration with desktop or other services, or even a decent mobile client. You just made it significantly less attractive to a potential new user, and drastically raised prices on existing users, without providing anything new to attract both categories.

Toodledo Gold is now $90 /year. For comparison, a full subscription of Office 365 (with Word, Excel, Onenote, Powerpoint) that comes with 1 TB of shareable space is just ten dollars more. Per _year_. Todoist, which has significantly better name recognition and a far larger user base, is less than third the price. Evernote Premium - which is losing users after the price hike - is the same price now (well, $6 more per year).

Most medium to large organizations are on Teams / Outlook / Onenote, or Groupwise, or similar alternatives, where task management is integrated into a far wider system. They are not going to switch to a 3rd party task manager. Individuals like me are paying out of their pocket to gain a bit of extra GTD functionality with less hoop jumping - and it's a very niche user base. I can't see how you can grow the main user base without name recognition, without a large following, and with these prices. I hope I am wrong...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 12, 2018 in: Apple WatchOS 5
I am using 2Do to access Toodledo tasks on AW. The Toodledo’s own app currently isn’t even cutting it on “bigger” devices.

Do agree, the new release should have a decent AW app with face complications.
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 10, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Thanks for reply.

I actually found an old post where I traced the problem to Toodledo on iPad, so I unlinked it and was able to restore 2Do functionality.

I'd much rather use Toodledo's own client and have full access to the features... but there's too many issues with that.

For me at least, the biggest ones are inconsistent / infrequent sync and lack of custom alarms (that is, being able to specify an alarm for a particular date / time rather than xx before due). I could live with everything else...
Ummagumma

Posted Oct 10, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
I am having MAJOR sync issues on iOS, both using 2Do and Toodledo native app.

Took me a couple hours, several resets, and lots of tweaking yesterday to finally get my web app, iPad and iPhone in sync. I had to stop using 2Do and revert back to Toodledo's less than stellar phone app, not because it was more reliable, but simply because it was easier to track sync inconsistencies with. Now I am missing much functionality, especially alarms. But at least - for now - I have my tasks in sync...

This made me remember one of the reasons why I switched from Toodledo to other services for a while.

Whatever they do, unless they fix sync problems, they are going to lose customers.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next